Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,215

Re: Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension 

Post#21 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 6, 2024 1:28 pm

OP: Please change "Shams Bomb" to "ShamWow".
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,514

Post#22 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:31 pm

Archx wrote:
Castle Black wrote:Surprised they didn’t wait to see what happened vs OKC tbh. If they end up losing, I have a feeling Mavs fans might be calling for his head again despite the Thunder being 3.5 point favorites.

To be honest, if it was up to a fanbase, there would be only 2 or 3 legitimate coaches left in the NBA. Even Spurs fans were turning on Pop :D

As fans we are not nearly as good evaluators of coaching as we think we are. There are some super obvious things, but then there's a lot that you need to be inside to evaluate properly.

Add that different people have their own conceptions of what good coaching looks like and will emphasize those things. Head coaching is a job with many hats.

There are great x/o guys who would be horrible head coaches because they can't manage personalities, maybe aren't good at listening to others, don't know how to motivate/"rally the troops", that guy is an assistant for life.

The head coach job is a combination of leadership, people management, motivation, x/o's, delegation, not just how well you can draw up a play or what offensive or defensive schemes you can come up with.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,588

Post#23 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:32 pm

Timing is interesting as he’s about to face the COTY and could end up looking very outcoached, even if Dallas ultimately wins. Feels like Kidd’s camp might have known that and pushed for this?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,218

Post#24 » by Archx » Mon May 6, 2024 1:33 pm

og15 wrote:
Archx wrote:
Castle Black wrote:Surprised they didn’t wait to see what happened vs OKC tbh. If they end up losing, I have a feeling Mavs fans might be calling for his head again despite the Thunder being 3.5 point favorites.

To be honest, if it was up to a fanbase, there would be only 2 or 3 legitimate coaches left in the NBA. Even Spurs fans were turning on Pop :D

As fans we are not nearly as good evaluators of coaching as we think we are. There are some super obvious things, but then there's a lot that you need to be inside to evaluate properly.

Add that different people have their own conceptions of what good coaching looks like and will emphasize those things. Head coaching is a job with many hats.

There are great x/o guys who would be horrible head coaches because they can't manage personalities, maybe aren't good at listening to others, don't know how to motivate/"rally the troops", that guy is an assistant for life.

The head coach job is a combination of leadership, people management, motivation, x/o's, delegation, not just how well you can draw up a play or what offensive or defensive schemes you can come up with.

Yeah, agreed.

But damn, you really went deep with this one. I had to read twice what i wrote for this response lol.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,752

Post#25 » by kingr » Mon May 6, 2024 1:44 pm

Lol funny that after the mavs lose a game, I always see threads about Kidd being the worst coach in the league. Then when Mavs are winning, nothing. Congrats Kidd, hopefully it works out.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,852

Post#26 » by dirkforpres » Mon May 6, 2024 1:44 pm

The players love him and Cuban loves him. Everyone could see this coming from a mile away, even during the losing streak a few months ago.
FIRE JASON KIDD
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,737

Post#27 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 6, 2024 1:49 pm

Hahahaha. This guy is the Rasputin whisperer to players, probably the closest thing to a pure “player’s coach” we’ve ever seen. Giannis would’ve died for this man in Milwaukee and when he was an assistant on the Lakers they all loved him.

I’m not sure how and why he connects so well with players despite being a mediocre at best coach (imo) but he clearly has the same gifts that allowed him to lead NBA teams for decades.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,967

Post#28 » by tsherkin » Mon May 6, 2024 1:53 pm

Archx wrote:

TBF, there are really only ever a handful of high-impact coaches in the league, and that often correlates with a coach who is good with people AND knows how to delegate to his assistants well AND has good assistants. There aren't that many coaches who make a meaningful difference.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,413

Post#29 » by doogie_hauser » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 pm

rapstarter wrote:Why not wait until the end of the playoffs?

Probably because the Lakers (were reportedly very keen on hiring him)

Can understand why they did it (for stability reasons with the Mavs going into the 2nd round), hopefully it doesn't blow up in their faces (aka Mavs swept by OKC)
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,167

Post#30 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 6, 2024 2:12 pm

What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,964

Post#31 » by Anticon » Mon May 6, 2024 2:22 pm

Lol classic extension after one series win. This always turns out well.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,472

Post#32 » by Slava » Mon May 6, 2024 2:28 pm

lol watch Lue get one next. The threat of the lakers needing a new coach will get a few dudes paid.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,858

Post#33 » by Dirk » Mon May 6, 2024 2:29 pm

The Mavericks are not a serious organization.

Same team who doesn't re-sign Brunson. Who signs an obese guy to dump him months later and a 1st round pick. Is signing Jason Kidd to "multi year extension" because he's so coveted.

The only real thing you may give credit to Kidd is Kyrie (and I guess 'defense', but the Mavs have been very up and down)... but who really knows what goes on inside a team.

We just know for a fact that Jason Kidd is an idiot.

Hopefully he wins a title to prove the world wrong though.
60/21/10
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,530

Post#34 » by Rendei » Mon May 6, 2024 2:32 pm

UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.

I don't watch the Mavs enough to know the details of their defensive schemes. But I can talk about when he was on the Bucks. He used a defense that relied on heavy trapping like the old Heatles defense. The first year was great and they finished 4th in drtg. From then on, though, teams adjusted and they lead the league in allowing open corner 3's. They finished 23rd, 19th, and 19th in drtg for the remainder of his stint. He just stubbornly continued using what didn't work anymore. They then went from 19th to 1st in drtg in Bud's first year as a coach.

I'm willing to assume that his defensive schemes got better after working under Vogel, but some of those ugly trends from Milwaukee still haunt him. Dallas was 6th in drtg in his first year, but they've been 24th and 18th the last two seasons.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,858

Post#35 » by Dirk » Mon May 6, 2024 2:36 pm

kingr wrote:Lol funny that after the mavs lose a game, I always see threads about Kidd being the worst coach in the league. Then when Mavs are winning, nothing. Congrats Kidd, hopefully it works out.

On one hand you can argue that fans are very fickle. On the other... those fans watch all the games and go through the entire experience, so the fans calling for his head is a reflection of the "pain" they go through.

Someone correctly mentioned that most fans are unhappy with their coaches, so I guess that highlights that fans probably aren't the best judges and/or that simple there aren't many consensus great coaches.
60/21/10
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#36 » by anotherhomer » Mon May 6, 2024 2:47 pm

Dirk wrote:The Mavericks are not a serious organization.

Same team who doesn't re-sign Brunson. Who signs an obese guy to dump him months later and a 1st round pick. Is signing Jason Kidd to "multi year extension" because he's so coveted.

The only real thing you may give credit to Kidd is Kyrie (and I guess 'defense', but the Mavs have been very up and down)... but who really knows what goes on inside a team.

We just know for a fact that Jason Kidd is an idiot.

Hopefully he wins a title to prove the world wrong though.

it sounds like Kidd's X and O really sucks, and the FO personnel moves can be questionable, but you have to credit Kidd for somehow managing to get the best out of Kyrie Irving
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#37 » by robbie84 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:09 pm

I don't agree with the move, but they have so much money that if it goes south they just fire him and pay him out. On the contrary if it goes well then it looks like a smart move.

The Mavericks management seem like an either really smart bunch of guys who are way ahead of all of us or a complete dumpster fire who got insanely lucky with the Dirk and Luka draftings.

Looking at it from the outside, i would never would have agreed to take Kyrie there, nor sign Jason kidd for 1 game. They've extended both because they've made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs against a crippled Clippers team. When really, the reason Kyrke+ Kidd look so good is simply because Doncic carries the organisation on his shoulders.
As much as I dislike Kyrie as a person, I do like their style of play- it's entertaining and Luka will go down as one of the greats.

I just hope they dont screw things up to the point Luka bails on the Mavs- for their fans sake.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#38 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 6, 2024 3:12 pm

This is another one of these times where a front office makes a call before they need to as if they're more interested in taking a victory lap than they are having adaptability for the future.

Kidd might be the right guy for Luka & Kyrie's egos, but if things don't go well in the next series it's going to look incredibly foolish.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#39 » by Mr B » Mon May 6, 2024 3:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mavs have been better, but I don't think this is the right move. The dude can't coach, and the players play well in spite of him. Sad to see, if things go south it's just another reason for Luka to leave.

I think it’s hilarious that people still think Luka is going to force his way out. He’s in a great situation in Dallas, is happy in Dallas, and is winning. You actually think he wants to leave that? Oh yea, he and Kyrie WANT Kidd to be their HC.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#40 » by robbie84 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.

Return to The General Board