Lakers should hire Micah Nori

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 982

Re: Lakers should hire Micah Nori 

Post#21 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:17 am

jkvonny wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:I think Lakers found their hidden gem in Micah Nori
The Injury to Timberwolves HC Finch opens up a opportunity for the Lakers to interview Nori

He could possibly become the assistant Coach/HC
Do you think the wolves would let him go?

Yall will hire JJ Reddick.

Congrats.
JJ will be assistant coach for Nori
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,867

Post#22 » by jkvonny » Tue May 7, 2024 5:21 am

LaLover11 wrote:
jkvonny wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:I think Lakers found their hidden gem in Micah Nori
The Injury to Timberwolves HC Finch opens up a opportunity for the Lakers to interview Nori

He could possibly become the assistant Coach/HC
Do you think the wolves would let him go?

Yall will hire JJ Reddick.

Congrats.
JJ will be assistant coach for Nori

Ha!
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,781

Post#23 » by Pachinko_ » Wed May 8, 2024 12:03 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:The NBA has cornered themselves in this antiquated mentality that unless you've been in the NBA for decades you can't even dream of headcoaching a team. They shouldn't be, NBA basketball is not that different than what they play everywhere else. And if it is, it shouldn't be.

There's tonnes of amazing coaches out there, NCAA, Euros, American expats overseas. Broaden your horizons. You did it for the players and it worked out, do the same for coaches.

I’m gonna list off a bunch of major differences. You have to coach against and with coaching staffs that are the size of an nba rotation. Because of this, it’s hard for the hc to be as involved in certain aspects compared to Europe. So they need excellent hr and leadership skills, or someone who has them. Then there’s the players. Guys are making fifty million dollars and some are making 5 percent of that has to play a factor in what you ask of guys, how you talk to them and how you run the squad.

We ride on Kidd for all the obvious things in game he sucks at, but he’s been good at the other parts of coaching i mention from what we can see and what the players say for example.

For a gm, who sometimes can’t even make a layup, it’s hard to know how someone outside of the nba ecosystem will handle these things.

David blatt is a great example. BRILLIANT coach, very questionable if he can lead a good team that that has talent because talent usualy comes with ego. Coaches and players. The guys who come over from foreign have to show more than being able to call plays and keep the star player happy. (Darko in Toronto)

Yeah all those things are fair points but I'm not sure if you think that going to Russia for example to coach a team is somehow easier. Because it really isn't, you have all the basketball problems and on top you have a different language and culture, you have to figure out the local media so you don't get yourself in trouble, the internal politics between ownership / coaches / players, where do you stand in the hierarchy and what you can and cannot do, what is the expectation of you, I mean all kind of **** that are different from where you came from while at the same time trying to settle down in your personal life in a foreign country with your family likely still in another country. But those people are smart, that's exactly what they get paid to do, they figure things out. The other day a coach in Europe was saying that he would kill to have a big coaching group like they have in the NBA because there's so much more he wanted to do in terms of coaching but he just doesn't have the manpower. This kind of people see those things as opportunities, not as problems.

Anyway you do raise fair points, I just think you're underestimating what those people can do. I think at some point an NBA team will make a start and then because it's a copycat league there will be an avalanche of "non-NBA" coaches. And I'm not talking about Euros only, theres also some excellent North American coaches in the NCAA and overseas who never get a consideration in the NBA untill they do the mandatory decade long tour of duty as an assistant first. I'd gladly sign Gordon Herbert for example, the guy who beat team USA last summer with Germany. His team was punching way above their weight.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,050

Post#24 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed May 8, 2024 12:05 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
There's tonnes of amazing coaches out there, NCAA, Euros, American expats overseas. Broaden your horizons. You did it for the players and it worked out, do the same for coaches.

Yeah, but still they will hire JJ Redick because it's Hollywood.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#25 » by cgf » Wed May 8, 2024 12:06 pm

The Lakers should hire Rick Brunson to try and lure ol bighead away from NYC if they want to return to relevance.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#26 » by cgf » Wed May 8, 2024 12:07 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:The NBA has cornered themselves in this antiquated mentality that unless you've been in the NBA for decades you can't even dream of headcoaching a team. They shouldn't be, NBA basketball is not that different than what they play everywhere else. And if it is, it shouldn't be.

I’m gonna list off a bunch of major differences. You have to coach against and with coaching staffs that are the size of an nba rotation. Because of this, it’s hard for the hc to be as involved in certain aspects compared to Europe. So they need excellent hr and leadership skills, or someone who has them. Then there’s the players. Guys are making fifty million dollars and some are making 5 percent of that has to play a factor in what you ask of guys, how you talk to them and how you run the squad.

We ride on Kidd for all the obvious things in game he sucks at, but he’s been good at the other parts of coaching i mention from what we can see and what the players say for example.

For a gm, who sometimes can’t even make a layup, it’s hard to know how someone outside of the nba ecosystem will handle these things.

David blatt is a great example. BRILLIANT coach, very questionable if he can lead a good team that that has talent because talent usualy comes with ego. Coaches and players. The guys who come over from foreign have to show more than being able to call plays and keep the star player happy. (Darko in Toronto)

Yeah all those things are fair points but I'm not sure if you think that going to Russia for example to coach a team is somehow easier. Because it really isn't, you have all the basketball problems and on top you have a different language and culture, you have to figure out the local media so you don't get yourself in trouble, the internal politics between ownership / coaches / players, where do you stand in the hierarchy and what you can and cannot do, what is the expectation of you, I mean all kind of **** that are different from where you came from while at the same time trying to settle down in your personal life in a foreign country with your family likely still in another country. But those people are smart, that's exactly what they get paid to do, they figure things out. The other day a coach in Europe was saying that he would kill to have a big coaching group like they have in the NBA because there's so much more he wanted to do in terms of coaching but he just doesn't have the manpower. This kind of people see those things as opportunities, not as problems.

Anyway you do raise fair points, I just think you're underestimating what those people can do. I think at some point an NBA team will make a start and then because it's a copycat league there will be an avalanche of "non-NBA" coaches. And I'm not talking about Euros only, theres also some excellent North American coaches in the NCAA and overseas who never get a consideration in the NBA untill they do the mandatory decade long tour of duty as an assistant first. I'd gladly sign Gordon Herbert for example, the guy who beat team USA last summer with Germany. His team was punching way above their weight.

It's not about easier or harder, it's a different set of challenges that require a different skillset. Like a great Bundesliga coach won't always make a great EPL coach because players in England are generally more established and richer, so they don't work as hard as Bundesliga players, they have more egos, and they're less hungry to prove themselves. Not needing to teach as much doesn't make it easier to coach in the EPL, just different.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,306

Post#27 » by God Squad » Wed May 8, 2024 12:57 pm

Ah, another Laker's circle jerk thread.

Thanks.
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:59 pm

Via Los Angeles Times:

“In addition to Atkinson and Stotts, Denver [Nuggets] assistant coach David Adelman and Minnesota [Timberwolves] assistant coach Micah Nori are both highly regarded inside the Lakers’ organization, according to people with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly.”

Adelman is the son of Rick Adelman, who Lakers fans will remember as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings teams of the early 2000s that couldn’t get past the Purple and Gold in the playoffs. He has been an assistant coach for eight seasons, one of which was spent serving under Frank Vogel, who later went on to coach the Lakers to the NBA championship.

Before that, he was a player develop
Like his father, the younger Adelman is considered a sharp offensive mind. According to a Sports Illustrated Fan Nation article, he has had a hand in maximizing Nikola Jokić’s triple-threat skills in Denver’s offense.

Nori was an assistant in Denver under Michael Malone several years ago, and it was there where he forged a relationship with Chris Finch, Minnesota’s head coach. With Finch crippled due to a freak knee injury he suffered days ago during a playoff game versus the Phoenix Suns, Nori has taken on a more prominent role on the sideline as his team takes on the Nuggets in the Western Conference semifinals.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,817

Post#29 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 2:03 pm

Why would Nori want to come to the Lakers?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,248

Post#30 » by Lalouie » Wed May 8, 2024 2:53 pm

lebrob wont like it.

lebrob likes resume

nori's head would be on the guillotine block waiting for the king to make the call
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#31 » by Anderson Hunt » Wed May 8, 2024 3:01 pm

I have no opinion on Nori, but I do wonder how people here are able to evaluate the talent of coaches.

I understand how to evaluate the talent of players. I actually watch them play the game.

Do we evaluate coaches by watching them coach? If so, what are we watching?

Please explain.

Sincerely,
One Ignorant Coach Evaluator
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by LaLover11 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:20 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:I have no opinion on Nori, but I do wonder how people here are able to evaluate the talent of coaches.

I understand how to evaluate the talent of players. I actually watch them play the game.

Please explain.

Sincerely,

Rotations, In game adjustment, playoff series adjustment, Timeouts that stop the bleeding, Timeouts that give star players rest, Challenges, Emotion, Trust from the Players etc
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,817

Post#33 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 8, 2024 3:21 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:I have no opinion on Nori, but I do wonder how people here are able to evaluate the talent of coaches.

Please explain.

Sincerely,

I think you can decently evaluate a head coach. Stuff like how many plays they run (and what plays they run), their ability to adjust to different tactical game plans, their substitution patterns and adherence to playing their best lineups, things like establishing an identity and building rapport with players, there’s tracking data and demonstrable eye test stuff part of the viewing experience that captures a lot of this. Being a good interviewer also, as much as I hate to say it, informs a lot of this.

However, what is IMPOSSIBLE to do is to evaluate an assistant coach, as many of these new head coach hires are. I have never been able to do that.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 374

Post#34 » by reddyplayerone » Wed May 8, 2024 4:03 pm

Please explain.

Sincerely,

People mostly just cry about rotations.

Oh and how much a coach has their hands in their pockets. That's very important too.

It's sort of ironic cause Phil Jackson sat in a chair for 95% of his career and still won 11 championships. Can you imagine if he was willing to stand up and do a bunch of pointless yelling and pointing? He'd have had 20 rings!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,292

Post#35 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 4:06 pm

cgf wrote:The Lakers should hire Rick Brunson to try and lure ol bighead away from NYC if they want to return to relevance.

Right! In this age of player empowerment, maybe we see the 30 best players’ dads all coaching a franchise!
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,233

Post#36 » by Dan33185 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:09 pm

As a Wolves fan, I'm happy for Nori as it seems like he is getting a lot of well deserved recognition right now. But, I'm also bummed because he's more than likely getting a head coaching job in the next couple of years. Whoever gets him is lucky, they are getting a great personality who knows his stuff.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,641

Post#37 » by KGtabake » Wed May 8, 2024 4:10 pm

Jürgen Klopp leaves Liverpool this summer.
Get him on the Lakers!
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,292

Post#38 » by shrink » Wed May 8, 2024 4:22 pm

He’s pretty well known for his fun halftime interviews, that you can see at the 3:00 mark.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#39 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 8, 2024 5:36 pm

LaLover11 wrote:Via Los Angeles Times:

“In addition to Atkinson and Stotts, Denver [Nuggets] assistant coach David Adelman and Minnesota [Timberwolves] assistant coach Micah Nori are both highly regarded inside the Lakers’ organization, according to people with knowledge of the situation not authorized to speak publicly.”

Adelman is the son of Rick Adelman, who Lakers fans will remember as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings teams of the early 2000s that couldn’t get past the Purple and Gold in the playoffs. He has been an assistant coach for eight seasons, one of which was spent serving under Frank Vogel, who later went on to coach the Lakers to the NBA championship.

Before that, he was a player develop
Like his father, the younger Adelman is considered a sharp offensive mind. According to a Sports Illustrated Fan Nation article, he has had a hand in maximizing Nikola Jokić’s triple-threat skills in Denver’s offense.

Nori was an assistant in Denver under Michael Malone several years ago, and it was there where he forged a relationship with Chris Finch, Minnesota’s head coach. With Finch crippled due to a freak knee injury he suffered days ago during a playoff game versus the Phoenix Suns, Nori has taken on a more prominent role on the sideline as his team takes on the Nuggets in the Western Conference semifinals.
I love Adelman but they should rehire Luke Walton cause he had that undefeated season with GS as HC, so Lakers fans can scream the classic line...

"Lllluuukkkeeee, I aM yO FaTheR!!!!"

https://youtube.com/shorts/8tACw6WPV4U?si=vxZst60BE5INRxIx

Didn't you get the memo?
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#40 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 8, 2024 5:41 pm

Dan33185 wrote:As a Wolves fan, I'm happy for Nori as it seems like he is getting a lot of well deserved recognition right now. But, I'm also bummed because he's more than likely getting a head coaching job in the next couple of years. Whoever gets him is lucky, they are getting a great personality who knows his stuff.
Then keep him. Nori is just a defensive coach and the Lakers need an offensive mind to understand x and o like Ty Lue.

Return to The General Board