Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,562

Re: Charlotte Hornets Hire Charles Lee as new Head Coach 

Post#21 » by Saints14 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:41 pm

Nice. Hope he can help turn that franchise around
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,459

Post#22 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:55 pm

Trey24 wrote:Guys we didn't bring Phil Jackson out of retirement its a failure

Has Charlotte not been a utter failure to date?
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#23 » by tcheco » Thu May 9, 2024 1:57 pm

Good hire, prime Phil Jackson though would be the perfect hire, Hornets aiming to be just mediocre, sad really
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,330

Post#24 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 1:59 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:Guys we didn't bring Phil Jackson out of retirement its a failure

Has Charlotte not been a utter failure to date?

Sure didn’t take Minny fans long to forget where they came from eh? :lol:
Baseline81
Starter

Post#25 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:03 pm

KembaWalker wrote:Who’s a better candidate than Lee? Bud maybe, pretty sure he’s said he isn’t interested in building anything up. A podcaster or Darvin Ham? :lol:

There's a difference in hiring Lee and having him as your first choice. That was simply my point. Clearly, Hornets fans are riled up this morning.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,715

Post#26 » by yosemiteben » Thu May 9, 2024 2:05 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Who’s a better candidate than Lee? Bud maybe, pretty sure he’s said he isn’t interested in building anything up. A podcaster or Darvin Ham? :lol:

There's a difference in hiring Lee and having him as your first choice. That was simply my point. Clearly, Hornets fans are riled up this morning.

Are you surprised? Lee is an objectively solid hire.
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#27 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 2:05 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Still waiting to hear your idea of a better 1st option
Baseline81
Starter

Post#28 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:06 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Are you surprised? Lee is an objectively solid hire.

I am not sure how to word this any differently. I'm not surprised by the hire, but rather in the OP, the fact that he was the team's first choice. I am sorry, but there are better options. Now, as another poster stated, it's probable those better options would turn down the offer.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#29 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 pm

Great hire. Hornets have some hope.
Sign here
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#30 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 9, 2024 2:08 pm

Idk him but looks to have some solid coaching experience under his belt.

I assume he's a more offensive based type coach?
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,794

Post#31 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 9, 2024 2:10 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I am not sure how to word this any differently. I'm not surprised by the hire, but rather in the OP, the fact that he was the team's first choice. I am sorry, but there are better options. Now, as another poster stated, it's probable those better options would turn down the offer.

Who are those better options then smart guy?

I’d also say that given Lee’s prior experience with both Jeff Peterson and the ownership, and the implicit alignment they seem to have, that Lee might be the best coaching option for the Hornets in their current situation.

We aren’t in a win now scenario and won’t be for a few years. So hiring a young hungry coach is essential.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,823

Post#32 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:14 pm

DaGawd wrote:man…who?

Cmon Gawd don't disrespect that man like that. He was the hottest young assistant HC available this off-season.

Lakers also wanted him.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#33 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:15 pm

JDR720 wrote:
DaGawd wrote:man…who?

The Charlotte Hornets are the NBA team located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

:lol:
Baseline81
Starter

Post#34 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:15 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Who are those better options then smart guy?

I’d also say that given Lee’s prior experience with both Jeff Peterson and the ownership, and the implicit alignment they seem to have, that Lee might be the best coaching option for the Hornets in their current situation.

We aren’t in a win now scenario and won’t be for a few years. So hiring a young hungry coach is essential.

Comical how all these Hornets fans are coming out of the woodwork regarding this.

The Hornets haven't been a win-now team since returning to Charlotte. Yet, the previous coaches (Clifford and Borrego) were relatively unknowns.

I'll add this. I highly doubt Charlotte had Lee as their first choice. It's more than likely PR. But if it wasn't, I cringe at knowing the remaining names on that list.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,489

Post#35 » by Hornet Mania » Thu May 9, 2024 2:19 pm

Swish77 wrote:He got a 4 year deal. How many years will he last in Charlotte? I'll give him 2 years lol

This is a silly comment. It's new ownership, so things could change, but the previous two Hornets coaches both lasted beyond their initial contract. In fact the last two full-time Hornets coaches both signed extensions.

Haters have plenty of ammo with the Hornets, at least pick something real. :roll:
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,709

Post#36 » by shi-woo » Thu May 9, 2024 2:20 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Who are these people though? Yall are clowning the hire saying there are better options out there, but no ones said a name yet :lol:

And are people honestly acting like they know what type of coach this guy will be? It was a glaze fest for Griffen on this site, and look how that turned out. Same with Ham. Same with every other terrible hire that people think will work out.

Likewise we've seen a ton of young guys like Dags, Hardy, Mazzula, Jenkins, Stevens, and others come in and turn franchises around.

From his ref page it seems like this guy has been under Bud for most of his career, and has been with the Celtics this season. So he's gotten good supervision, and has been a part of 3 of the more solid organizations of the 2010's, a championship team, and maybe even another this year if the cards fall right.

All 3 stops he's been apart of have focused on team basketball, ball movement, and defense. No drama teams too that focus on professionalism.

I think he will be a solid coach for a team that is still 2 years away from making a splash, but by the start of the year he will have a lot to work with. Time will tell how he does with the X's and O's, but he seems like the perfect fir for what these guys are looking to do down in CHA.

Who were the better options? People say Budz, but he's his protege, and much younger, and a person of color, something people still care about in the head coaching searches. Ham? No. Griffen? No. Like I can't even think of better candidates unless you are convincing Stevens to come out of the front office, or prying Dan Hurley from UConn.

Who's the better choices people?
KembaWalker
General Manager

Post#37 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 2:21 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Comical how all these Hornets fans are coming out of the woodwork regarding this.

The Hornets haven't been a win-now team since returning to Charlotte. Yet, the previous coaches (Clifford and Borrego) were relatively unknowns.

I'll add this. I highly doubt Charlotte had Lee as their first choice. It's more than likely PR. But if it wasn't, I cringe at knowing the remaining names on that list.

It’s a thread about our team of course we’re in here, it’s more comical that a wolves fan is in here making a fool of himself
Baseline81
Starter

Post#38 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:22 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Lakers also wanted him.

Well, if that's the criteria...
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Post#39 » by Trey24 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:22 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

You have no clue honestly. The main problem with this franchise was that they were always in Win-Now mode for the last 16 or 17 seasons without building a roster that was sustainable to win-now.

And Lee was their #1 choice from the get go and the list of candidates is readily available. Hate more
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#40 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 2:22 pm

G R E Y wrote:Congrats to Hornets and fans. Good hire for a young group. They can grow together.

Respect my friend. You stole Wemby from us, but you left us Brandon Miller so for that thank you. :D

Return to The General Board