Hornets lead the Western Conference....

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#21 » by That Nicka » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:06 pm

2poor wrote:Highest differential in the West (+5.7).

Uhm... No its not

Lakers: +5.87
Spurs: +5.80
Hornets: +5.73

Hornets are good and will def make the playoffs, but like the Lakers last year, they are benefiting from a pretty easy early schedule
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#22 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:08 pm

Sorry, "one of the highest."

Also, according to Hollinger anyways, the Hornets SOS would be the 13th easiest, with the likes of the Lakers, Celtics, Nuggets, Spurs, Mavs, Rockets, Suns, Cavs, and Warriors with easier schedules.

link
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#23 » by BaYBaller » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm

2poor wrote:15-5 on the road
14-7 at home (winners of 8 of their last 10 at home, 5-game home winning streak)

...mediocre? they're not even paying attention to all that.

-= original quote snipped =-

Mediocre relative to their road record. You really think what Chandler says to the media means anything? Home court is a huge advantage especially in the PO's, and currently NO doesn't have that. Of course I can't predict the future maybe there will be a good attendence in the PO's and the place will be rocking but it's an odd situation regardless.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#24 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:17 pm

BaYBaller wrote:Mediocre relative to their road record. You really think what Chandler says to the media means anything? Home court is a huge advantage especially in the PO's, and currently NO doesn't have that. Of course I can't predict the future maybe there will be a good attendence in the PO's and the place will be rocking but it's an odd situation regardless.

Considering that up until that point, none of the players wouldn't comment on it, and he is the first and only to do so, yeah. I believe it more than I believe the preconceived notions of posters who think we're still in the first month of the season anyways.

"Mediocre" would be a good term for how they started the season at home, but winning 5 in a row and 8/10 is anything but.

All-star weekend will generate a buzz, especially so if Paul is starting and Scott is coaching. Nobody is concerned about the bad draws they're having right now, it'll pick up after the break and gain strength through the rest of this year and next offseason. They won't be drawing dismal crowds for primetime playoff games. Playoff teams bring out the bandwagon fan in everyone.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,208

Post#25 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm amazed the networks haven't made a play to get them on TV more. Its going to bite them in the butt in the long run if more poeple don't get a chance to see this team.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#26 » by BaYBaller » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:00 pm

[quote="2poor"][/quote]

Percieved notions? Everybody knows 99% of what players say to media is fluff. But if the inner homer in you wants to believe then go for it.

When the playoffs roll around the bandwagoners will come out yeah, it's just that I don't see the place rocking. Most of the good home court teams have die hard fans like the Lakers, Sacramento, Utah, etc. That's why I said it's an odd situation. Something might happen from the whole Katrina angle though, like people trying to make the whole "the city is back" kind of statement. Like I said, hard to really predict.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#27 » by carrottop12 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:07 pm

legacyinthemakin89c wrote:So where are all the fans who said Deron Williams was better then Chris Paul before the season started?

Right here, and Chris Paul has been better this season, still interested to see whether he can take a team out of the first round of the playoffs much less the WCF. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
2poor
RealGM

Post#28 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:08 pm

BaYBaller wrote:Percieved notions? Everybody knows 99% of what players say to media is fluff. But if the inner homer in you wants to believe then go for it.

When the playoffs roll around the bandwagoners will come out yeah, it's just that I don't see the place rocking. Most of the good home court teams have die hard fans like the Lakers, Sacramento, Utah, etc. That's why I said it's an odd situation. Something might happen from the whole Katrina angle though, like people trying to make the whole "the city is back" kind of statement. Like I said, hard to really predict.

If you understood the context, perhaps you'd believe him more. This has nothing to do with being a homer. You might also see that their recent record/streak would back up what he was saying (quote was taken 1/18). There are plenty of "fluff" questions, but this was the kind of subject matter that if you aren't going to answer truthfully you don't answer at all.

(kinda like what the players had been doing all along up until that point)

link to the full article the quote was taken from

But you're right, when playoff time comes, who knows how things will shape up. I guess you can consider me a "glass half full" type person.
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#29 » by carrottop12 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Forgive me for being cynical though on the Hornets, the only complete game I have seen of theirs was a 28 point blow out to the Jazz in which they looked terrible, I want to see them beat some of the best home teams on their home floor before I'll believe they are a contender of any sort.

Especially considering the lack of playoff experience they have.

They're good, but I'm not sure they belong yet.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#30 » by triplet1984 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 pm

Lets replace all the Heat games with Hornets/Trailblazer games please.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#31 » by Copperhead » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Batronuj wrote:Forgive me for being cynical though on the Hornets, the only complete game I have seen of theirs was a 28 point blow out to the Jazz in which they looked terrible, I want to see them beat some of the best home teams on their home floor before I'll believe they are a contender of any sort.

Especially considering the lack of playoff experience they have.

They're good, but I'm not sure they belong yet.

Aww quit your hatin. They haven't been to the playoffs together but there is plenty enough playoff experience on that team. There are at least 7 guys on that team that have playoff experience. If you've only seen 1 complete Hornets game you shouldn't even be speaking about the Hornets. Don't just come in here talking just to be talking.
2poor
RealGM

Post#32 » by 2poor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Even though I think "experience" is an enormously overrated intangible, players on the Hornets roster with playoff "experience:"

-Tyson Chandler
-Peja
-Jannero Pargo
-Bobby Jackson
-Rasual Butler
-Melvin Ely
-Mo Pete

Not terribly concerned about CP3 getting stage fright in the playoffs.

West might need to make the adjustment with regards to the amount of contact they allow, but they could actually play into his favor as a guy who doesn't rely on getting calls to supplement his game. He'd certainly welcome the ability to be more physical than he already is around the bucket though.
carrottop12
RealGM

Post#33 » by carrottop12 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Copperhead wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Aww quit your hatin. They haven't been to the playoffs together but there is plenty enough playoff experience on that team. There are at least 7 guys on that team that have playoff experience. If you've only seen 1 complete Hornets game you shouldn't even be speaking about the Hornets. Don't just come in here talking just to be talking.

All I said was I wasn't sure they belong yet... And I said it was based off one game, so you can't fault me for that.

But still, like I said, I want to see them play more, my guess is they end up 5th in the West vs. the Jazz in the playoffs, and my guess is they are out in the first round.

I just don't see West matching up well against, Boozer, Dirk, Duncan or Amare, and Paul is the same level PG as Parker, Deron, and Nash, and at least those guys have proven themselves in the playoffs.

I think Chandler is the difference maker on their team, but I don't think he makes them better then the Jazz, Spurs, Mavs or Suns, and they may not be better then the Nuggets or the Lakers, especially over a 7 game series. All of those teams have much more playoff experience, which despite what you say, definitely does matter.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Copperhead » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Batronuj wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

All I said was I wasn't sure they belong yet... And I said it was based off one game, so you can't fault me for that.

But still, like I said, I want to see them play more, my guess is they end up 5th in the West vs. the Jazz in the playoffs, and my guess is they are out in the first round.

I just don't see West matching up well against, Boozer, Dirk, Duncan or Amare, and Paul is the same level PG as Parker, Deron, and Nash, and at least those guys have proven themselves in the playoffs.

I think Chandler is the difference maker on their team, but I don't think he makes them better then the Jazz, Spurs, Mavs or Suns, and they may not be better then the Nuggets or the Lakers, especially over a 7 game series. All of those teams have much more playoff experience, which despite what you say, definitely does matter.

That's just it though. You don't see West at all. You don't see the Hornets at all. So really, right now, it's pretty obvious you know nothing about the Hornets in general. All you can really say is "they don't have playoff experience". :lol:
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#35 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Paul certainly is better than Williams statistically, and maybe one-on-one as well, but team player, well that's not for certain, unless you only count the first half of this season. Williams has steadily increased his numbers after what was a terrible month for the team in December, which took them from 3rd in the West to 10th. Now the Jazz are the second hottest team out West behind New Orleans, and Williams numbers are 19ppg and 11apg for the month of January (9 games), and shooting a .563 clip from the field. Sure Paul's averages are even better than that, but does Paul play second fiddle on his team to Boozer who demands 22.5ppg. Both play different roles, while both are leaders, Williams is not the #1 option.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Copperhead » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Oh brother. Here we go. Leave it up to Jazz fans to try to turn this thread into Paul/Williams. :nonono: So I guess it's Paul's fault he isn't the 2nd fiddle on his team? :crazy:

:rofl: Whatever.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#37 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Copperhead wrote:Oh brother. Here we go. Leave it up to Jazz fans to try to turn this thread into Paul/Williams. :nonono: So I guess it's Paul's fault he isn't the 2nd fiddle on his team? :crazy:

:rofl: Whatever.

Hmm, if I remember correctly it wasn't a Jazz fan who planted the bait by saying how it's like ridiculous to put them on the same level. Yes ofcourse it's Paul's fault that he isn't 2nd fiddle. What are you, 12 years old? I'm just saying that statistically a player tends to have better numbers as the number one option, and I can assure you that Boozer would make Paul the 2nd fiddle on the team. Not because he's a better player, which if he is or isn't is irrelevant, but he's just a better scorer. Now I know this is an "if", but I'm just saying that it's a little early with just one day in first place to automatically assume that Williams doesn't belong in the class of Paul. I mean are we so quick to forget that Williams led his team to the WCF last year?
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#38 » by MKWB » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Paul >> Williams
West > Boozer
:D enjoy
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#39 » by High 5 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:55 pm

New Orleans is the best team no one has ever seen.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#40 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 am

I still can't believe New Orleans is #1 in the West right now and that they don't have any national tv games on TNT, ESPN for their remaining schedule.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to The General Board