Mitchell Robinson Out For Regular Season (Update: Out again 6-8 weeks with ankle injury)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,236

Re: Mitchell Robinson Out For Season 

Post#41 » by Capn'O » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:38 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:this news SUCKS.

If you were just following the stats, you probably thought Robinson was stagnant in his development (career low scoring and shot blocking). But man was he ever night and day in terms of defensive focus and discipline. His blocks are down because he's finally stopped leaping at everything. He's been better defending at the level (look at those steal numbers), and just an absolute anchor in drop. It was cool to see a player really find his role and excel at it. (Even if I still hate how he's used in Thibs' offense).

Knicks will survive with Hartenstein, but this lowers their ceiling big time, imo.

That's a great summary. I'll add that he also stopped fouling like crazy. Mitch was just great on defense this year all around. iHart is a more natural fit in the offense but, as you say, drops the defense from what Mitch provided. What we need is both though and that's where this news really hurts. Teams have been going on runs on us with Taj or Sims in the game.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,334

Post#42 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:48 pm

Capn'O wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Ugh sorry Knicks fans that sucks. Get well quick, Mitch.

Wenyen Gabriel, anyone?
What the heck happened to Nerlens Noel?

Gabriel has to be in consideration.

Thibs planning to ride the 39 yr old Taj Gibson for like 30 mins/game? I can see Thibs now convincing Joachim Noah to come out of retirement. :wink:
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,018

Post#43 » by bisme37 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Ugh sorry Knicks fans that sucks. Get well quick, Mitch.

Wenyen Gabriel, anyone?

We C's fans were kinda excited about Wenyen at the start of the season. He was pretty solid for the Lakers from what I saw when he was in LA. But then he never really got off the bench for the Celts even in preseason and we waived him.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,236

Post#44 » by Capn'O » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:54 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
Wenyen Gabriel, anyone?

Thibs planning to ride the 39 yr old Taj Gibson for like 30 mins/game? I can see Thibs now convincing Joachim Noah to come out of retirement. :wink:

:lol: seriously
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,061

Post#45 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:42 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:this news SUCKS.

If you were just following the stats, you probably thought Robinson was stagnant in his development (career low scoring and shot blocking). But man was he ever night and day in terms of defensive focus and discipline. His blocks are down because he's finally stopped leaping at everything. He's been better defending at the level (look at those steal numbers), and just an absolute anchor in drop. It was cool to see a player really find his role and excel at it. (Even if I still hate how he's used in Thibs' offense).

Knicks will survive with Hartenstein, but this lowers their ceiling big time, imo.

Damn, you probably know more about Mitch than some of his haters who are Knicks fans.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,661

Post#46 » by DimesandKnicks » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:59 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:Time to unleash Hartenstein!! Defensively not as good but he’s a much better scorer and a great passer for a big man.

And he’s not that far behind defensively. I actually think he’s a better all around defender
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,151

Post#47 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:29 pm

Something around Robinson for Ayton?

NY will need to kick in draft picks, but I could see this work for both teams.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#48 » by nomansland » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:40 pm

Too bad. He was fun to watch this year and he seems like a really cool guy. One of the more likeable Knicks in a long time (for me).
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,587

Post#49 » by baldur » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:52 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Something around Robinson for Ayton?

Exactly. Nyk has too many picks and ayton would be a clear upgrade. But not sure about the cap situation of nyk.
links135
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,340

Post#50 » by links135 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:56 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
links135 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Loll wtf... u posted this like 15 minutes before I did lol

I didn't stutter

Cocaine's a helluva drug lol.

I have a sizable alcohol budget every month, just tend to shitpost and forget I ever did. Even after 15 minutes. It's basically a 2.5 week holiday and it's not like I'm gonna spend it with my family.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#51 » by cgf » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:13 am

baldur wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:Something around Robinson for Ayton?

Exactly. Nyk has too many picks and ayton would be a clear upgrade. But not sure about the cap situation of nyk.

How would adding someone who needs to be happy about his shots to play defense be a good fill in for Robinson...who has already complained about his lack of touches? Ayton feels like a terrible fit who would just take touches away from Brunson & Randle.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,232

Post#52 » by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:15 am

Karate Diop wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Injuries suck, but dude wasn't a difference makers. Knicks are still a solid play-in team.

Robinson wasn't a difference maker? He's the second biggest reason the Knicks beat the Cavaliers last year...

He's plateaued as a player, continues to show zero development. The Knicks can easily fill the void he leaves, they might lose a little bit defensively but they gain enough offensively that his absence doesn't hurt them.

Patently false. If you don't watch the Knicks, you can just say so. He is what he is offensively but defensively and on the boards he's shown dramatic improvement each season
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,401

Post#53 » by Phish Tank » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:20 am

The fact is that it will be impossible to replace what Mitch does. However, there is a blessing in disguise with this injury.

Starting Hartenstein has opened up the paint, allowing Randle to be way more efficient now than ever before. It’s led to a bit better efficiency and incentivized ball movement, since the team can’t just rely on offensive rebounding to generate offense.

It has forced Thibs to be more innovative with his rotations and defense. One of the issues this season is that the elite 5 out teams posed the biggest issues for the Knicks. That will still remain, however there will be a bit more versatility on that front.

I think there is upside that has yet to be realized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,396

Post#54 » by Scalabrine » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:18 am

Karate Diop wrote:Injuries suck, but dude wasn't a difference makers. Knicks are still a solid play-in team.

...says the guy who has openly admitted that he doesn't watch the Knicks.

Keep showing it.
Go Knicks!
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,641

Post#55 » by KGtabake » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:28 am

Get well soon.
Time for Noah to honor that 4 year contract.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#56 » by HiRez » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:18 am

Except play-in teams by definition are not solid.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,061

Post#57 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:14 pm

Bob Ross wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Robinson wasn't a difference maker? He's the second biggest reason the Knicks beat the Cavaliers last year...

He's plateaued as a player, continues to show zero development. The Knicks can easily fill the void he leaves, they might lose a little bit defensively but they gain enough offensively that his absence doesn't hurt them.

Patently false. If you don't watch the Knicks, you can just say so. He is what he is offensively but defensively and on the boards he's shown dramatic improvement each season

Man is just a jealous Nets baiter. Guy shows up awfully fast to these GB threads cause no one is talking about his squad.

Hell, what did Hartenstein say?

“Is there a rivalry? I mean, I don’t feel it. I mean, most of the time we go to Barclays, it’s mostly Knicks fans, so I don’t know if it’s really a rivalry at this point.”
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,326

Post#58 » by Iwasawitness » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:30 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Man is just a jealous Nets baiter. Guy shows up awfully fast to these GB threads cause no one is talking about his squad.

Hell, what did Hartenstein say?

“Is there a rivalry? I mean, I don’t feel it. I mean, most of the time we go to Barclays, it’s mostly Knicks fans, so I don’t know if it’s really a rivalry at this point.”

I sometimes wonder how much people just stat check rather than fact check when they make claims that players like Robinson haven’t actually developed. It’s the same thing with Evan Mobley. If you’re just going to look at the stats, refuse to factor in context and not even actually watch the games… you shouldn’t comment on the matter. Robinson is an incredibly valuable player to have in todays game and NY is very fortunate that they have Hartenstein as their backup big.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#59 » by Sixerscan » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:48 pm

Is he actually definitely out for the season or are the Knicks just saying he is to get the DPE? The timeline of the report going from 8 weeks to saying out for the year and applying for the DPE is fishy.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,541

Post#60 » by Pattycakes » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:59 pm

Awesome dude. Happy I didn’t click on a ruptured Achilles type deal here

Return to The General Board