2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #4 Los Angeles Clippers vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Mavericks vs. Clippers Series Result

Mavericks SWEEP!
2%
Mavericks 4-1
7%
Mavericks 4-2
43%
Mavericks 4-3
15%
Clippers SWEEP!
5%
Clippers 4-1
2%
Clippers 4-2
14%
Clippers 4-3
13%

Total votes: 352

rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,724

Re: West Playoffs - 1st Round: Mavericks vs. Clippers 

Post#41 » by rapstarter » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Probably a "MJ finally beating the Pistons" moment for Luka
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,092

Post#42 » by dockingsched » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:45 pm

As long as Kawhi is playing, clips in 6, may be 5.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,502

Post#43 » by durden_tyler » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:51 pm

i do think this beautiful chemistry between Kyrie and Luka (and also, how that rubs off to others, thus better chemistry as a team) is what has made the team tick recently.

Provided, there is also no (or less) drama for the Clippers so i feel we will get a quality series.

Mavs in 7… (Harden’s legacy series, in that he’ll choke again)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,027

Post#44 » by Mavrelous » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:52 pm

HardenGoat wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:if Kawhi is healthy, say 100%, he will be the difference maker. Clippers roster is stuffed with vets that have one thing left on their resumes. Can't see them losing first round like most of you (or are these takes from Mav fans?). Sixth seed has an easier finals path this year

Kawhi was 100% the last time they faced each other and nevertheless, Clippers had all the trouble in the world to dispatch a Mavs team infinitely weaker than the current one.
Not to mention Luka himself has improved since then, not the least experience wise.

So the Mavs got better but the Clips team is the same. Gotcha .. or maybe they are worse cause they got playoff Harden?

Harden is a massive upgrade over Reggie Jackson (who was good in that series BTW), and Westbrook off the bench is also a huge boost.
The position they lack in compared to then is the backup center, and the depth in the forward position, they were a team able to field a lineup of highly switchable, long and athletic guys who can shoot, it was how they totally suffocated Luka's backup, Brunson, they lost this ability now.
Mavs got better defense now, much better, but, they lost the ability to effectively field a 5 out offense with high end shooters, they now have 1 average shooter, 1 bad shooter and non-shooter in the starting lineup, whereas back then, everyone was above average to great shooter on that team and the lane was wide open to drive.
It will be different series, I don't think any team is clearly favoured.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,125

Post#45 » by Exp0sed » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Obviously KL's current condition is the million dollar question
I have a hard time believing he'll be a 100% and I think the Mavs are a better team, Clippers would have no answer for their teamwork and will be busy finger pointing at each other once they start trailing in the series. L.A media is also quite harsh.

I think i'd take these Mavs even if Kawhi was healthy but with that in question, this may be over in 5
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,938

Post#46 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm

the last 2 series have been extremely fun. I think Mavs can win it this year. Luka and Kyrie are firing on all cylinders, the supporting cast is better than the last time these teams matched up, although i worry about inexperience. PJ Washington, Gafford and Lively are going to be key rotation players and they don't really have much playoff experience.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,208

Post#47 » by Wagonband » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:21 pm

dockingsched wrote:As long as Kawhi is playing, clips in 6, may be 5.

One of the least likely outcomes to me is Clips in 5. I really can't see it. I think Mavs take it in 6. The way they are playing right now i'm seeing a sweep likelier than them losing in 5. I feel like if the Clips lose the first 2 games they will just fold and give up. I could be wrong, but that's how i feel. That definitely won't happen to the Mavs since they seem to really enjoy playing with each other, and even if they drop 0-2 they will fight like crazy
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#48 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 pm

HardenGoat wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:
HardenGoat wrote:if Kawhi is healthy, say 100%, he will be the difference maker. Clippers roster is stuffed with vets that have one thing left on their resumes. Can't see them losing first round like most of you (or are these takes from Mav fans?). Sixth seed has an easier finals path this year

Kawhi was 100% the last time they faced each other and nevertheless, Clippers had all the trouble in the world to dispatch a Mavs team infinitely weaker than the current one.
Not to mention Luka himself has improved since then, not the least experience wise.

So the Mavs got better but the Clips team is the same. Gotcha .. or maybe they are worse cause they got playoff Harden?

They are definitely older and their defense hasn't looked great for a while now. Of course it's possible that they turn it up in the playoffs, while the Mavs hoping to keep up the current level (and maybe raise it a little bit if possible). Also, still have to get there healthy, two more games for the Mavs, although they probably sit everyone out against the Pistons.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,578

Post#49 » by Yuri36 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:38 pm

HardenGoat wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Not saying that but what i'm sure is that IF they are better now, that's certainly by a much shorter margin than how much Mavs have improved since then.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,911

Post#50 » by JJ_PR » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:56 pm

Kyrie will be the difference maker in this matchup.
GamecockFan1024
Junior
And1: 371

Post#51 » by GamecockFan1024 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:06 pm

Yuri36 wrote:

Likewise the current Clippers are much better than the old Clippers provided they are healthy.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,137

Post#52 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:09 pm

This would be an amazing series.

A young Luka was giving the Clippers problems in their previous encounters.

Now he's got Kyrie. And I got Mavs in 7.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
clippertown
Veteran
And1: 938

Post#53 » by clippertown » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 pm

A few points (from the Clippers perspective):

1. The Clippers are super-deep and I doubt Lue will go with the standard 7 man rotation.
2. Dallas has nobody to match with Russ. His energy will be too much for Kyrie and Luka will need protection from fouls.
3. Harden is crafty and capable but not quick. Quite possible that Russ plays more than Harden in this series.
4. Bones is an X Factor. If Russ and Harden are struggling, Bones is better defensively and has enormous energy.
5. Mann is the best defender on the team (along with Coffey) and they will tag-team Luka all game. Luka struggles against Mann.
6. There is nobody on Dallas to stop either George or Kawhi. Dallas is weaker at the SF / PF position.
7. The Dallas big men are very suspect. In the playoffs, where more contact is allowed, the Clips will rely on their three centers and go small ball less than I think many predict. Dallas has no KP who gave Clippers problems in the past due to his height.
8. Powell is playing crazy good right now and has become an elite scorer. Dallas has a very limited bench.

Overall, if Kawhi is healthy, the Clips would appear to have some advantages. They won't have the best player as Luka is better than Kawhi, but Kyrie hates physical contact and nobody else on the roster is a proven playoff scorer, so Luka will have to do it all.

Gonna be a great series (like the prior ones) with the Clippers winning in seven games.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#54 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:33 pm

If Kawhi’s just taking time off now to be extra healthy for the playoffs and comes in at 100% the pick has to be the Clippers. If he’s banged up and is even just 80% going in, it has to be the Mavericks. Now which one is it? That’s a tough question. I guess if I were to guess I’d lean towards Kawhi struggling to be healthy and pick Mavs in 7. This is as close to a coin flip series as it gets though.
planetmars
Sixth Man
And1: 1,439

Post#55 » by planetmars » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:42 pm

The two teams are pretty even. I'm going Dallas in 6 though. The Mavs improved post trade deadline. They have the 2nd best net rating since then. Clippers are 18th.

I think Luka will have a better series than Kawhi. I think Kyrie out duels PG or at best will be a wash. And I like the rest of the Mavs role players over the Clippers (including Harden and Russ).
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,585

Post#56 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:44 pm

Make it a long series. Mavs have nothing to lose and can afford to given their ages and contracts.
Kawhi/PG13/Harden/WB are 32/33/34/35 years old, the pressures on their legacies and looming future are so huge that more than likely someone will fold.
Read on Twitter
UglyBugBall
Pro Prospect
And1: 763

Post#57 » by UglyBugBall » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:If Kawhi’s just taking time off now to be extra healthy for the playoffs and comes in at 100% the pick has to be the Clippers. If he’s banged up and is even just 80% going in, it has to be the Mavericks. Now which one is it? That’s a tough question. I guess if I were to guess I’d lean towards Kawhi struggling to be healthy and pick Mavs in 7. This is as close to a coin flip series as it gets though.

Mavs are playing way better than the clippers. Kawhii or not kawhii the Mavs have proven to be a much better team since ASB. That's a large sample size. Clippers could be 200 percent and this wouldn't go past 6 with Mavs winning convincingly. The numbers all support this
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#58 » by PeteyPablo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:If Kawhi’s just taking time off now to be extra healthy for the playoffs and comes in at 100% the pick has to be the Clippers. If he’s banged up and is even just 80% going in, it has to be the Mavericks. Now which one is it? That’s a tough question. I guess if I were to guess I’d lean towards Kawhi struggling to be healthy and pick Mavs in 7. This is as close to a coin flip series as it gets though.

Kawhi last game played was on 3/31 vs Hornets. He scored 23 points and played 37 minutes.

Clippers probably resting him the last 8 games of the season.

James Harden might be the ultimate x factor for the Clippers. If he can play great , then no body will beat the Clippers in a series.

Kawhi vs Luka - who is better?
PG13 vs Kyrie - who is better?
Harden vs ?
Westbrook vs ?
Norman Powell vs ?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,512

Post#59 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:00 pm

clippertown wrote:A few points (from the Clippers perspective):

1. The Clippers are super-deep and I doubt Lue will go with the standard 7 man rotation.
2. Dallas has nobody to match with Russ. His energy will be too much for Kyrie and Luka will need protection from fouls.
3. Harden is crafty and capable but not quick. Quite possible that Russ plays more than Harden in this series.
4. Bones is an X Factor. If Russ and Harden are struggling, Bones is better defensively and has enormous energy.
5. Mann is the best defender on the team (along with Coffey) and they will tag-team Luka all game. Luka struggles against Mann.
6. There is nobody on Dallas to stop either George or Kawhi. Dallas is weaker at the SF / PF position.
7. The Dallas big men are very suspect. In the playoffs, where more contact is allowed, the Clips will rely on their three centers and go small ball less than I think many predict. Dallas has no KP who gave Clippers problems in the past due to his height.
8. Powell is playing crazy good right now and has become an elite scorer. Dallas has a very limited bench.

Overall, if Kawhi is healthy, the Clips would appear to have some advantages. They won't have the best player as Luka is better than Kawhi, but Kyrie hates physical contact and nobody else on the roster is a proven playoff scorer, so Luka will have to do it all.

Gonna be a great series (like the prior ones) with the Clippers winning in seven games.

You make some good points, but Bones is not a good defender- one of the worst in the NBA actually. He has more lateral quickness than Harden, but he is too light
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,980

Post#60 » by Oscar9992 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pm

Jadoogar wrote:the last 2 series have been extremely fun. I think Mavs can win it this year. Luka and Kyrie are firing on all cylinders, the supporting cast is better than the last time these teams matched up, although i worry about inexperience. PJ Washington, Gafford and Lively are going to be key rotation players and they don't really have much playoff experience.

Only team Mavs have no chance against is Celtics... against the rest of the teams Mavs have some chances.

Celtics are just too stacked & loaded.

Return to The General Board