Teleport the 2010 Lakers into today's league, how many do they win?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

How would the 2010 Lakers do today?

Win the title
40%
Finals team
11%
WCFs
5%
2nd Round
17%
1st Round
5%
Play-in
5%
Miss the playoffs
16%

Total votes: 94

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,910

Re: Teleport the 2010 Lakers into today's league, how many do they win? 

Post#41 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 1:52 am

dockingsched wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
TheGOATRises007 wrote:The OP is obsessed with hating on Kobe and past players/teams.

Kobe wouldn't be the problem with porting that team forward. Kobe, and Pau for that matter, would both adapt well. The coaching, however, and the rest of that supporting cast, would be the impediment.

I assure you a tall versatile long defender like Odom with his ball handling, passing, rebounding and respectable perimeter skills would not be an impediment. I gotta imagine you just forgot him.

How is his 3pt shot? That proposed line-up would be the worst 3pt shooting team in the league.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 707

Post#42 » by kds92 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 am

For these posts it's better to just look at the poll results and peace out
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,971

Post#43 » by Diop » Thu May 9, 2024 2:10 am

so I'm just expected to remember all about the 2010 Lakers?

you expect me to look it up myself or sumtin?

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,036

Post#44 » by ScrantonBulls » Thu May 9, 2024 2:41 am

OdomFan wrote:
nikster wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
There's 0 reason to increase 3 point shooting attempts just because of what the other team does on a nightly bases. All they have to do is focus on making the defensive stop to get the ball back, then once the ball is in their hands. They can maintain 7 3's if they feel the need to and continue to utilize their bigs in the paint, slashing to the rim, and midrange shots as they did in 2010 inside of that triangle offense. No reason they can't still win with that formula.

There's lots of reason to believe increased 3 point shooting would be important. How many teams in the last 5 years had a good offense while being below average in 3 point shooting? Let alone worst in the league by a large margin

They would do fine. Just like they did in 2010.

I'd have to agree. Kobe is probably the luckiest player when it comes to stacked teams/teammates. this team was stacked and had the GOAT coach. They could still win.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,822

Post#45 » by ConSarnit » Thu May 9, 2024 3:12 am

One_and_Done wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
Kobe wouldn't be the problem with porting that team forward. Kobe, and Pau for that matter, would both adapt well. The coaching, however, and the rest of that supporting cast, would be the impediment.

I assure you a tall versatile long defender like Odom with his ball handling, passing, rebounding and respectable perimeter skills would not be an impediment. I gotta imagine you just forgot him.

How is his 3pt shot? That proposed line-up would be the worst 3pt shooting team in the league.

A teleported Laker team would be the worst offense in the league. That’s not a criticism of them but just a comment on the way the game is played.

The 2010 Lakers took 24 midrange attempts per game and shot 42% on them. The most anyone shot this year was 14. 25%+ of the Lakers offense would be some of the lowest efficiency offense imaginable.

So not only would the 2010 Lakers have the worst shot diet of any team in the league they would also play at the slowest pace. And to the posters saying they would just “adjust” by shooting more 3’s: with who? Here are there top 7 guys 3pt shooting numbers that year:

Kobe: 33%
Pau: 0%
Bynum: 0%
MWP: 36%
Odom: 32%
Fisher: 35%
Brown: 32%

They have 1 guy who shoots league average from 3.

The 2010 Lakers would get mathed to death. And that’s not even bringing up that It was right around this time that Phil said that guarding the corner 3 wasn’t that important.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,822

Post#46 » by ConSarnit » Thu May 9, 2024 3:22 am

OdomFan wrote:
nikster wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
There's 0 reason to increase 3 point shooting attempts just because of what the other team does on a nightly bases. All they have to do is focus on making the defensive stop to get the ball back, then once the ball is in their hands. They can maintain 7 3's if they feel the need to and continue to utilize their bigs in the paint, slashing to the rim, and midrange shots as they did in 2010 inside of that triangle offense. No reason they can't still win with that formula.

There's lots of reason to believe increased 3 point shooting would be important. How many teams in the last 5 years had a good offense while being below average in 3 point shooting? Let alone worst in the league by a large margin

They would do fine. Just like they did in 2010.

The 2010 Lakers would have the worst offense in the league. 30% of the their fga were from midrange. They shot 42% on those shots. A third of their offense would be considered horrific by today’s standards.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 5:26 am

ConSarnit wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
dockingsched wrote:I assure you a tall versatile long defender like Odom with his ball handling, passing, rebounding and respectable perimeter skills would not be an impediment. I gotta imagine you just forgot him.

A teleported Laker team would be the worst offense in the league. That’s not a criticism of them but just a comment on the way the game is played.

The 2010 Lakers took 24 midrange attempts per game and shot 42% on them. The most anyone shot this year was 14. 25%+ of the Lakers offense would be some of the lowest efficiency offense imaginable.

So not only would the 2010 Lakers have the worst shot diet of any team in the league they would also play at the slowest pace. And to the posters saying they would just “adjust” by shooting more 3’s: with who? Here are there top 7 guys 3pt shooting numbers that year:

Kobe: 33%
Pau: 0%
Bynum: 0%
MWP: 36%
Odom: 32%
Fisher: 35%
Brown: 32%

They have 1 guy who shoots league average from 3.

The 2010 Lakers would get mathed to death. And that’s not even bringing up that It was right around this time that Phil said that guarding the corner 3 wasn’t that important.

It's worrying how many people don't get this.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,316

Post#48 » by SlimShady83 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:40 am

LOL I love the fact you all keep bringing up 3pt shot like It's do or die If a team can't shoot 3's they won't make It or win It all.

Have you all already forgot the Bucks In 21 with Giannis, according to google they shot 32.1% the entire playoffs "according to google" and remember the media and everyone saying how bad they were and couldn't win, but ended up winning and you all start talking like the 3 ball Is the most Important? And this was just done In 21 oof.

Are the Lakers team just as good as the Bucks In 21? I don't know for all too judge and go by stats and another topic, but saying that the Lakers 2010 would be bad due to the 3ball and having yet another team prove that you can win with out the 3 ball and shooting 32.1% proves you can still win chips with out shooting the 3ball all that well :)

peace out :)
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,097

Post#49 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 9, 2024 8:19 am

Lakers only won in 2010 because of the refs. It wasn't a great team. I think second round sounds about right. Wolves, Nuggets, Mavs and OKC would all beat them mostly because of the shooting.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#50 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:28 am

I will say if LeBron Had KB24/AD/Gasol he would be winning championships right now at 39yrs old
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 8:38 am

LaLover11 wrote:I will say if LeBron Had KB24/AD/Gasol he would be winning championships right now at 39yrs old

AD and Pau play the same position, they don't work together. Kobe is also too inefficient and ball dominant to be an optimal sidekick to Lebron.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,014

Post#52 » by tsherkin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:01 am

dockingsched wrote:I assure you a tall versatile long defender like Odom with his ball handling, passing, rebounding and respectable perimeter skills would not be an impediment. I gotta imagine you just forgot him.

I did not forget him. He'd be a contribution to their defense. But he bit chunks at the line, couldn't shoot threes, didn't have a strong shot off the dribble or reliable/consistent range of any sort. He could post, but his offense dipped notably after 2008 until he randomly shot 70% in the RA in 2011. As far as authoring efficient offense in 2024, I don't really see it. Not to an extent which would matter to the specific team weaknesses the 2010 Lakers had relative to my point. For the purposes of 2010, he was very helpful, of course. But that was a different time, which was sort of the notion.

Also, independent of Odom, remember we're speaking of a teleported team. Not one that has any kind of adjustment period or anything like that. This is not a team that's suddenly going to reinvent the wheel on the fly and figure stuff out mid-season. There wasn't untapped potential in that lineup. They had a bunch of weak FT shooters, some weak shooting in general and Kobe/Pau were the only guys who could make anything happen. They also were the 11th-ranked offense in 2010; it's not like they were an elite O to begin with. They weren't bad and there would be some changes in their individual performance based on era changes which means they'd likely not to be that raw 108.8 offense in today's game... but they definitely wouldn't be a good offense and they definitely wouldn't have the punch to win a title.
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#53 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:02 am

One_and_Done wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:I will say if LeBron Had KB24/AD/Gasol he would be winning championships right now at 39yrs old

AD and Pau play the same position, they don't work together. Kobe is also too inefficient and ball dominant to be an optimal sidekick to Lebron.

Reaves, KB24, LeBron, Pau, AD is a favorite to win the championship vs any team in the playoffs right now
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,014

Post#54 » by tsherkin » Thu May 9, 2024 9:03 am

One_and_Done wrote:AD and Pau play the same position, they don't work together. Kobe is also too inefficient and ball dominant to be an optimal sidekick to Lebron.

You're assuming that Kobe would be produce identical efficiency from his time in 2010, though. He's already shown in his actual career that he adjusts upward with changes from 05 and onward, and was rocking 57% TS as late as 2013, at 34, in his 17th season. It's quite likely he'd be (at the worst) an above-league-average scorer ITO efficiency in today's environment, and in his hey hey was a +3% rTS guy. Calling him "inefficient" isn't really accurate. He'd be a terrible sidekick to Lebron, for sure, but c'mon now. Inefficiency isn't why.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 9:08 am

tsherkin wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:AD and Pau play the same position, they don't work together. Kobe is also too inefficient and ball dominant to be an optimal sidekick to Lebron.

You're assuming that Kobe would be produce identical efficiency from his time in 2010, though. He's already shown in his actual career that he adjusts upward with changes from 05 and onward, and was rocking 57% TS as late as 2013, at 34, in his 17th season. It's quite likely he'd be (at the worst) an above-league-average scorer ITO efficiency in today's environment, and in his hey hey was a +3% rTS guy. Calling him "inefficient" isn't really accurate. He'd be a terrible sidekick to Lebron, for sure, but c'mon now. Inefficiency isn't why.

I don't think his TS% can get much higher than it was in the post 05 period. The benefits today's players get wouldn't help Kobe because of his inelastic play style and shot diet. He would and did benefit from the changes to the touch rules, those help him no matter how he plays. The modern style changes are different, to get the benefits you have to play a very different way that I see no evidence Kobe was capable of (and much evidence that he is not).
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,439

Post#56 » by TheNG » Thu May 9, 2024 9:31 am

One_and_Done wrote:

So maybe LeBron should be the sidekick to Kobe
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
LaLover11
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by LaLover11 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:36 am

One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

I don't think his TS% can get much higher than it was in the post 05 period. The benefits today's players get wouldn't help Kobe because of his inelastic play style and shot diet. He would and did benefit from the changes to the touch rules, those help him no matter how he plays. The modern style changes are different, to get the benefits you have to play a very different way that I see no evidence Kobe was capable of (and much evidence that he is not).

KB24 would literally be a bigger stronger Jamal Murray for LeBron which he would love to have right now.

Gasol and AD would be the perfect twin towers that can both score 20ppg.

Ron Artest would be a great enforcer and sixth man for the Lakers.

Nuggets and Timberwolves would have trouble beating this 2010 team
SST
Sophomore
And1: 245

Post#58 » by SST » Thu May 9, 2024 9:44 am

They would slap the 2024 lakers forsure
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 10:07 am

TheNG wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:

So maybe LeBron should be the sidekick to Kobe

Even 39 yr old Lebron is probably still more impactful in today's game than 2010 Kobe, especially in the playoffs.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 10:13 am

LaLover11 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

KB24 would literally be a bigger stronger Jamal Murray for LeBron which he would love to have right now.

Gasol and AD would be the perfect twin towers that can both score 20ppg.

Ron Artest would be a great enforcer and sixth man for the Lakers.

Nuggets and Timberwolves would have trouble beating this 2010 team

Have you watched today's game? Even back in 2017 Pau had to go to the bench because a 2 big line-up with him wouldn't work. Mike D clearly wanted to bench him in 2013 too, and tried to. Clearly in 2024 he couldn't start next to this version of AD that doesn't shoot 3s, it wouldn't work on either end. Artest would be less effective, and so too would Kobe whose game is not like Jamal offball Murray at all.

Return to The General Board