Sprite Dunk Contestants Announced

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#41 » by Kosta » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 am

Flash3 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He started off real HOT, and has since cooled down. He was getting high praise early in the season for his play, and rightfully so. But, as of the past few weeks, his play has leveled down. -- So he's not going to get credit here or there...

Um, really?

His last two weeks would consist of about the last 10 games or so?

10.0 points per, 7.2 boards per, 1.7 assists per, 1.6 steals per, 1.8 block per.

Looks like he's getting "HOT" again.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#42 » by Hendrix » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 am

lol, @ flash completly pulling that out of his ass.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#43 » by kookie_819 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am

Dwight will win. I think the Chinese knows only him out of the 4 participants.
ak06ma
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#44 » by ak06ma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:14 am

Flash is just a hater yo.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#45 » by Schad » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 am

ak06ma wrote:Flash is just a hater yo.

Meh, it's not easy to keep tabs on the 5th best player on every team in the league. It's understandable that fans of other teams would assume that Moon has fallen off, simply because that brief burst of attention he received in Nov./Dec. was unsustainable...practically every writer in North America had to pen a story on him. Now, he's less of a novelty, even if his performance is actually improving.
**** your asterisk.
Mrhankey123
Bench Warmer
And1: 457

Post#46 » by Mrhankey123 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:28 am

Comon Flash, dont be such a hater on Canada/Raps/Moon.
Maytricks Championship 2019
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#48 » by Flash3 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:41 am

Kosta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Um, really?

His last two weeks would consist of about the last 10 games or so?

10.0 points per, 7.2 boards per, 1.7 assists per, 1.6 steals per, 1.8 block per.

Looks like he's getting "HOT" again.
Given, we don't have ubber number of threads about the kid, and the stories we did have early on the season, it was a fair guess to say that he has cooled off, till the numbers were presented to me.

Thanks for the update Kosta, Schadenfreude and SNAFU.

And on a side note, some of you guys need to READ the posts you are commenting on, no where did I put the kid down and say he's the suxxors or incapable of playing the game or etc. -- Some of you are just waiting to bite on anything, and the past few posts proved it.

But, that's RGM comprehension for ya.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
some_rand
Banned User

Post#50 » by some_rand » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 am

Flash3 wrote:Moon?

I haven't seen many of his highlights on SC, but couldn't they have gotten anyone else?

dude has SERIOUS hops, used to be a globetrotter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,443

Post#51 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:53 am

i think fans only have SOME input. It's not completely up to them.

And Dwight was told about a dunk in a new game that he does, where he throws it off the backboard, catches it, throws it off the backboard again, and then dunks it. Dwight said he's actually done it before. Here's hoping he does it! Plus the kiss the rim dunk would be sweet. And i'm sure he's got some other good stuff in his arsenal.
jzmagik
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#52 » by jzmagik » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:04 am

UCFJayBird wrote:i think fans only have SOME input. It's not completely up to them.

And Dwight was told about a dunk in a new game that he does, where he throws it off the backboard, catches it, throws it off the backboard again, and then dunks it. Dwight said he's actually done it before. Here's hoping he does it! Plus the kiss the rim dunk would be sweet. And i'm sure he's got some other good stuff in his arsenal.

The fans will decide who wins the dunk contest when it comes down to the final 2 contestants.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#53 » by Egg Nog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 am

10scott10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

so basically jamario has already won

More like so basically Dwight Howard has already won.

Sure there are a lot of Raptors fans on RealGM, but in reality they're not at all of the most popular teams in the league.
Pmoney
Junior
And1: 3

Post#54 » by Pmoney » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 am

To the guy who called NICK YOUNG a midget in the other thread

6 FOOT 7!!

WITH A BIG WING SPAN!

MIDGET?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#55 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:42 am

Continuation from the locked thread....

shaqfan1 wrote:Young is averaging 6.7 ppg and is only playing 14mpg. He's also averaging 1.3 rpg and 0.8 apg. Even though he's doing better than expected, he's still not considered a "good" player.

The only reason Gerald Green is in it this year because he's the current champion. Last year, Green had a lot of hype and was at least averaging 10 and 3.

I have no idea what you consider "good" but if Nick Young's stats are considered "bad", then so are Green's. After all, he got his with an extra 8 minutes per game on a crappy team. Adjust Young's numbers to account for the 8 minutes more Green played and Young suddenly becomes a "good" player by your standards.

But your original statement was inaccurate anyway. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. All that matters is can you dunk or not? If you're a good dunker, you're in contention. If not, then you won't be mentioned.
Philly Fresh
Senior

Post#56 » by Philly Fresh » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 am

The fans DO NOT vote for the winner. They were talking about it during the Magic/Pistons game, and the announcers said the fan voting will count AS WELL AS the score from the judges.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#57 » by Hawaii » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:51 am

I'm glad to see Howard's in it...I guess he's my pick to win. But it's a solid lineup.
shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#58 » by shaqfan1 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 am

miller31time wrote:I have no idea what you consider "good" but if Nick Young's stats are considered "bad", then so are Green's. After all, he got his with an extra 8 minutes per game on a crappy team. Adjust Young's numbers to account for the 8 minutes more Green played and Young suddenly becomes a "good" player by your standards.

My definition of good: You get regular playing time and you put up decent stats. Nick Young doesn't fit either category. The reason Gerald Green made it to the All-Star game was because he was at least putting up decent stats (It didn't matter if he was doing it in 8 extra minutes. Whoever picks dunk contest contestants doesn't take that into consideration. :lol:) and he had a lot of hype. He was coming staright out of high school, he was given titles like the next Tmac, and he had had very nice dunks during the season and summer league.

miller31time wrote:But your original statement was inaccurate anyway. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. All that matters is can you dunk or not? If you're a good dunker, you're in contention. If not, then you won't be mentioned.

Yes, being a good dunker is the most important thing, but they won't invite some no name rookie who doesn't have any hype around him, doesn't get any mention from the national media, and doesn't get regular playing time. The NBA wants people to watch the dunk contest, that's why they pick people who get talked about a lot. And that is the reason Gerald green was picked.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#59 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 am

You make Nick sound like some no name scrub. Hes been a good bench player for the 4rth best team in the East. Hes had some very nice offensive nights for us. Easily one of the best offensive guards taken in this years draft.

Shaqfan is the resident Wizard hater. Hes been hating since last year even though his team is complete crap.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#60 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 am

No name rookie? There's a reason a Raptors poster created the Nick Young thread - because a lot of people know of Nick Young and his ability to dunk. The man was picked 17th in the draft, just shy of the lotto and was projected to go as high as 11th. If Young made more spectacular dunks this season (keep in mind, he does not complete the majority of them), he'd be in the contest, despite the fact he's playing 14 minutes per game. But he isn't known as a dunker for Washington. His job is to come off the bench and shoot the ball.

Return to The General Board