Breaking: Glen "Big Baby" Davis is sentenced to 3.5 years in prison

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,069

Re: Breaking: Glen "Big Baby" Davis is sentenced to 3.5 years in prison 

Post#61 » by LuDux1 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:30 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wow, American justice system aint fooling around. I have said this, but my garbage place is the opposite, you can honestly kill a person and probably get less... I think the right system would be somewhere in between, and altho such harsh law enforcing is one concervative thing I prefer, but thats freaking harsh man, crazy.

Not sure where you're from but I can tell you I've consumed easily over 1000 hours worth of crime documentaries mostly centered around American crime, and I can tell you the system is far from perfect.

There have been people who have been sentenced for less than 5 years for murder just to put it into perspective. If you have a high powered lawyer, you can get away with a lot more than if you cannot afford a good attorney. And this isn't even bringing up racism, prejudice, favoritism or corruption that could take place.

And for the record, this isn't just in America, the justice system is far from perfect in a lot of countries including my home of Canada.

I have no doubt that is true, system is at least flawed everywhere, also corruption is everywhere too. I think human kind still hasn't figured out what is the method of criminal rehabilitation. We want to believe most people would never do anything evil, because of morality, but in all honestly, a lot of people probably aren't criminals only because there are consequences to set behavior.

But in my case, I wasn't talking about rich getting away from justice, but everyone. In my country, you do not need to invest anything at all to get away from literal murder, I don't know what fools made our system, but it enables all sorts of perversions.

What makes you think judge(s) and doctor(s) were wrong in "your" case?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,974

Post#62 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 10, 2024 3:38 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Nate505 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Wow, American justice system aint fooling around. I have said this, but my garbage place is the opposite, you can honestly kill a person and probably get less... I think the right system would be somewhere in between, and altho such harsh law enforcing is one concervative thing I prefer, but thats freaking harsh man, crazy.

I have many, many complaints about the US justice system and think we tend to oversentence people, but I have very little sympathy for those who are defrauding people who need medical services. I detest thieves in general, but when the thief is a rich **** stealing from a fund meant to support people to live, they can really sit and rot in prison for a long time for all that I care.

I am not religious or anything, but I think I have very strong moral code, and would never steal or fraud anyone myself, I pity the people who do such a thing, but still. Not sure you can ever rehabilitate people who do such a thing, personally, I was never even taught or threatened that stealing is wrong, I just always knew it, and would never do it, if you do, there is some rotten inside you, but man. 3.5 years sounds wrong to me still.]

Eh, a pretty large section of society would do things like this if it was easy to do it and seemed hard to get caught. It's pretty easy for a lot of people to convince themselves it's fine to take advantage in many situations, go ahead and take some cookies from that jar if someone left it unattended.

I'd also argue from experience that opportunistic crimes are by far the easiest thing to be 'rehabilitated' out of. If someone just did something because others were doing it or it seemed easy, they'll have a much better chance of stopping that once it's no longer easy or they've had some public consequences for it. Harder for people who are deeper parts of cultures of crime or who have certain backgrounds (or drug habits etc) that keep reinforcing kinda bad/parasitic behavior.

It's kinda weird but the biggest thing that keeps people from committing crimes isn't actual 'morals' but just social shame, not wanting to be seen as kind of a loser or parasite that people don't respect. The vast majority of people care about that--a lot--and that's our best tool for rehab. Who knows with Big Baby, though. None of us know nearly enough about him to say the first thing about how that might go.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,135

Post#63 » by Potential » Fri May 10, 2024 3:48 pm

If the greedy Adam Silver had a heart he would pardon them and give them all 10 million for their service in the NBA. I don't like seeing my NBA brothers locked up
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,790

Post#64 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri May 10, 2024 3:55 pm

What is even more bizarre is that while most people would be upset about going to prison Baby is completely unfazed.
*Insert witty signature here.*
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,191

Post#65 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 pm

LuDux1 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
Not sure where you're from but I can tell you I've consumed easily over 1000 hours worth of crime documentaries mostly centered around American crime, and I can tell you the system is far from perfect.

There have been people who have been sentenced for less than 5 years for murder just to put it into perspective. If you have a high powered lawyer, you can get away with a lot more than if you cannot afford a good attorney. And this isn't even bringing up racism, prejudice, favoritism or corruption that could take place.

And for the record, this isn't just in America, the justice system is far from perfect in a lot of countries including my home of Canada.

I have no doubt that is true, system is at least flawed everywhere, also corruption is everywhere too. I think human kind still hasn't figured out what is the method of criminal rehabilitation. We want to believe most people would never do anything evil, because of morality, but in all honestly, a lot of people probably aren't criminals only because there are consequences to set behavior.

But in my case, I wasn't talking about rich getting away from justice, but everyone. In my country, you do not need to invest anything at all to get away from literal murder, I don't know what fools made our system, but it enables all sorts of perversions.

(upsetting topics warning, be advised, maybe do not read, its too long anyway...)
Spoiler:
Maybe I am very ignorant, but I grew old seeing people exploit every justice system in the book. Everything is so lenient is truly criminal. If you do not have a job, there is literally no penalty for shoplifting in our country. My family member still works at LiDL and they catch same shoplifters every day, and they used to call the police, but they do not anymore, because police can't arrest them, they only give fines now. But if you do not work, they write off the fine, so there is literally no penalty for shoplifting stores anymore, you can be caught stealing 10 times same day (which happens even), doesn't matter. They used to give community service hours, but for some reason they don't anymore.
Long term jobless people used to do 3 months of community service each year to get pensions. Doesn't happen now. And I worked there, every year it was the same people who maliciously dodge work, because it is their way of life, they simply get enough from social welfare systems, why do they need to work, it is inconvenience (our minimal wages are almost the same as welfare checks anyway, sometimes trully there is no need to have a job at all). The manager who was in charge of community service used to have nicknames for most people, because it is same people each year. Why don't they do community service anymore? I know they barely worked there as was, some would be caught drinking or skipping work, some would be released from "užimtumo tarnyba", but most don't, everyone knows how it goes and that its a circus. And do not get me wrong, I am not very conservative, I understand the need and I support social programs, but we reached communism level. Too many people exploit the system because system it completely broken.

Complete different example I know, sorry. But going back to murder, why does the guy why did what I have wrote, is free? He is free, I can go for a walk and meet him right now if ''lucky''. In universe doing its work way, I worked with one person for years, she was easily my favorite coworker. And after years, I mentioned that event and she said - he was my classmate, the guy. So, her classmate killed my classmate. And he is just free, We were 13 when it happened, he was completely fre way before we finished highschool, way before. I do not care how it is, IMO it is scummy. He does clearly had mental issues, but he completely comprehends his actions, but like in almost any case, they pitied, he was 23 years old after all...

How long Lavrinovic bros served anyway? Likable players, but what they did was also very evil. Where they of unhealthy mind, are they ''special''? No, we know they aren't.

I think you remember this case, because it was very wide spread around 16 years ago. Drunk driver crashed into another car and killed family of maybe 7 or 8 people, including children. Problem was, he was already caught DUI many times, they took away his license because of it, then he was caught DUI without license many times. Still was NEVER arrested, killed 8 people, still wasn't sentenced... Because it was an accident... I mean ok, don't we do actions like take his license, because what he does is dangerous to peoples lives? Isn't that the idea? Then we get to the point where he actually kills people, ok, now everyone f'ed up at this point, justice system should have locked him for years to avoid this, right? Well no apparently, because he didn't get locked even after killing people. So the lesson is, no matter what you ever do, there are no real consequences to anything..,

First response to my comment, the comment that got most likes said :
sp6r=underrated wrote:
A consistent finding in criminal justice research is that certainity of punishment does a better job stopping crime than severity of punishment.

What happens when there is no certainty at all? Well, our country happened...

I was very mad, but thats just how it always was. I feel I am very soft and very empathetic person, but I would have skinned that perennial DUI scum alive before hanging him. But they pitied him. I can only hope that his conscious drove him mad from inside for what he did, but since he was drunk idiot behind the wheal entire life, he probably never cared about other human beings.

I remember when I was in elementary school, our teacher said, well, I take it easy on you, but high school teachers wont, get serious... Then I get to highschool, highschool teachers say - we get easy on you, but national exam people wont... Rinse and repeat to a point you are in court for murdering 8 people and they always take easy on you. Our country is quite a joke, sorry. I love some of our parts, but in some others it is Too liberally perverted. Thats just my opinion, I know it was very strong opinion, I hope you do not get too upset and hostile towards me, I like you, but I feel strongly about this, it is very upsetting to me. Sorry if it doesn't answer your question, I obviously has set prejudice against our justice system already, and that's all I really got. Sorry
Sealab2024
Senior
And1: 777

Post#66 » by Sealab2024 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 pm

Potential wrote:If the greedy Adam Silver had a heart he would pardon them and give them all 10 million for their service in the NBA. I don't like seeing my NBA brothers locked up

I didn't realize Silver was the president of the country and not just the NBA. And if they didn't want to get locked up they probably shouldn't have defrauded their own health insurance program.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by LuDux1 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

(upsetting topics warning, be advised, maybe do not read, its too long anyway...)
Spoiler:
Maybe I am very ignorant, but I grew old seeing people exploit every justice system in the book. Everything is so lenient is truly criminal. If you do not have a job, there is literally no penalty for shoplifting in our country. My family member still works at LiDL and they catch same shoplifters every day, and they used to call the police, but they do not anymore, because police can't arrest them, they only give fines now. But if you do not work, they write off the fine, so there is literally no penalty for shoplifting stores anymore, you can be caught stealing 10 times same day (which happens even), doesn't matter. They used to give community service hours, but for some reason they don't anymore.
Long term jobless people used to do 3 months of community service each year to get pensions. Doesn't happen now. And I worked there, every year it was the same people who maliciously dodge work, because it is their way of life, they simply get enough from social welfare systems, why do they need to work, it is inconvenience (our minimal wages are almost the same as welfare checks anyway, sometimes trully there is no need to have a job at all). The manager who was in charge of community service used to have nicknames for most people, because it is same people each year. Why don't they do community service anymore? I know they barely worked there as was, some would be caught drinking or skipping work, some would be released from "užimtumo tarnyba", but most don't, everyone knows how it goes and that its a circus. And do not get me wrong, I am not very conservative, I understand the need and I support social programs, but we reached communism level. Too many people exploit the system because system it completely broken.

Complete different example I know, sorry. But going back to murder, why does the guy why did what I have wrote, is free? He is free, I can go for a walk and meet him right now if ''lucky''. In universe doing its work way, I worked with one person for years, she was easily my favorite coworker. And after years, I mentioned that event and she said - he was my classmate, the guy. So, her classmate killed my classmate. And he is just free, We were 13 when it happened, he was completely fre way before we finished highschool, way before. I do not care how it is, IMO it is scummy. He does clearly had mental issues, but he completely comprehends his actions, but like in almost any case, they pitied, he was 23 years old after all...

How long Lavrinovic bros served anyway? Likable players, but what they did was also very evil. Where they of unhealthy mind, are they ''special''? No, we know they aren't.

I think you remember this case, because it was very wide spread around 16 years ago. Drunk driver crashed into another car and killed family of maybe 7 or 8 people, including children. Problem was, he was already caught DUI many times, they took away his license because of it, then he was caught DUI without license many times. Still was NEVER arrested, killed 8 people, still wasn't sentenced... Because it was an accident... I mean ok, don't we do actions like take his license, because what he does is dangerous to peoples lives? Isn't that the idea? Then we get to the point where he actually kills people, ok, now everyone f'ed up at this point, justice system should have locked him for years to avoid this, right? Well no apparently, because he didn't get locked even after killing people. So the lesson is, no matter what you ever do, there are no real consequences to anything..,

sp6r=underrated wrote:
A consistent finding in criminal justice research is that certainity of punishment does a better job stopping crime than severity of punishment.

I was very mad, but thats just how it always was. I feel I am very soft and very empathetic person, but I would have skinned that perennial DUI scum alive before hanging him. But they pitied him. I can only hope that his conscious drove him mad from inside for what he did, but since he was drunk idiot behind the wheal entire life, he probably never cared about other human beings.

I remember when I was in elementary school, our teacher said, well, I take it easy on you, but high school teachers wont, get serious... Then I get to highschool, highschool teachers say - we get easy on you, but national exam people wont... Rinse and repeat to a point you are in court for murdering 8 people and they always take easy on you. Our country is quite a joke, sorry. I love some of our parts, but in some others it is Too liberally perverted. Thats just my opinion, I know it was very strong opinion, I hope you do not get too upset and hostile towards me, I like you, but I feel strongly about this, it is very upsetting to me. Sorry if it doesn't answer your question, I obviously has set prejudice against our justice system already, and that's all I really got. Sorry

Sounds like you want "stronger hand". Boring
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,285

Post#68 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 10, 2024 5:15 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
Sealab2024 wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:I thought there were multiple NBA players involved in this? Were they all sentenced?

I don't know about the rest but Terrence Williams got 10 years for being the ring leader.

Tony Allen? Keyon Dooling?

Dooling got 30 months in prison, Allen got community service and supervision (no prison time.)
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,861

Post#69 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:26 pm

Some NBA players are just clueless after basketball. You would think with the money they made they would have a career set up after retirement.

Good thing these guys are starting to get media deals and making their own podcasts shows.

There is no reason why current NBA players should be struggling after retirement.

#FreeBigDummyDavis
Cartuse
Rookie
And1: 1,131

Post#70 » by Cartuse » Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm

LuDux1 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:

Spoiler:

sp6r=underrated wrote:

Sounds like he wants law to be enforced. I don't know how "boring" that is to people that have to deal with and suffer from crime on a daily basis. But I'm pretty sure it could be boring to those isolated from it, and I see why talking about high sounding "root causes" might be more entertaining, so fair enough.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,105

Post#71 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

The US is a high crime society because we do a terrible job solving crimes and try to make up for it by over-punishing people.

Yeah I work in criminal justice and this is very true. Politicians and enforcement folks always front on how 'strong'/tough they are by talking about sentencing and zero tolerance etc and never by how what they're doing, like, works. Part of the unfortunate fact that almost nothing about our system is set up to work or be the best idea. Politicians generally control every aspect of enforcement and prosecution policy and direction, and they generally have zero interest in what works and are instead 100% motivated by what reaction or attitude they think their voters want to hear. Crime's going up? I'm your savior and will hire more police now, don't care what they're actually doing or if they even have some idea of how they can address it. Crime's going down? Great job police or (for those on the left) whatever random community group is taking credit for the drop, don't care what the factors really are and how to continue them going in that direction. It's all just following the winds rather than trying to direct them.

EDIT: also if you think 3.5 years for a pretty significant long-term fraud scheme sounds excessive, Ucan, you wouldn't last ten minutes in the average US court.

Having been involved with the criminal justice system for 30+ years, the first thing that came into my head was the crappy food he'll be getting. I can see him shedding a few pounds with the "lowest bidder food" served in prisons (or a higher bidder giving a kickback for the contract).
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,861

Post#72 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:

The US is a high crime society because we do a terrible job solving crimes and try to make up for it by over-punishing people.

Yeah I work in criminal justice and this is very true. Politicians and enforcement folks always front on how 'strong'/tough they are by talking about sentencing and zero tolerance etc and never by how what they're doing, like, works. Part of the unfortunate fact that almost nothing about our system is set up to work or be the best idea. Politicians generally control every aspect of enforcement and prosecution policy and direction, and they generally have zero interest in what works and are instead 100% motivated by what reaction or attitude they think their voters want to hear. Crime's going up? I'm your savior and will hire more police now, don't care what they're actually doing or if they even have some idea of how they can address it. Crime's going down? Great job police or (for those on the left) whatever random community group is taking credit for the drop, don't care what the factors really are and how to continue them going in that direction. It's all just following the winds rather than trying to direct them.

EDIT: also if you think 3.5 years for a pretty significant long-term fraud scheme sounds excessive, Ucan, you wouldn't last ten minutes in the average US court.

Having been involved with the criminal justice system for 30+ years, the first thing that came into my head was the crappy food he'll be getting. I can see him shedding a few pounds with the "lowest bidder food" served in prisons (or a higher bidder giving a kickback for the contract).
The dude will likely be the biggest person in prison lol. I seen Raymond Felton up close and personal and he was huge. I can only imagine seeing Big Baby up close.

Dude will have rank for his size alone. He's going to be eating good. His inmates will make sure he's eating ramen and sausage gourmet meals daily. 8-)
Sealab2024
Senior
And1: 777

Post#73 » by Sealab2024 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:51 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
SkyHookFTW wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

The dude will likely be the biggest person in prison lol. I seen Raymond Felton up close and personal and he was huge. I can only imagine seeing Big Baby up close.

Dude will have rank for his size alone. He's going to be eating good. His inmates will make sure he's eating ramen and sausage gourmet meals daily. 8-)

All depends on where he goes. Size don't mean much when you're up against a dozen bloods who have decided you're going to join them or it's weekly beatings. Celebrity and money doesn't help either. All that means is everyone knows who you are and that you have money. So now the entire prison knows who you are and are scheming on ways to get something from you. Medium security or higher and he's gonna have some issues.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by LuDux1 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 pm

Cartuse wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Spoiler:

Sounds like he wants law to be enforced. I don't know how "boring" that is to people that have to deal with and suffer from crime on a daily basis. But I'm pretty sure it could be boring to those isolated from it, and I see why talking about high sounding "root causes" might be more entertaining, so fair enough.

Which specific laws weren't enforced?
maradro
Senior
And1: 377

Post#75 » by maradro » Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

sp6r=underrated wrote:

Seemed like an honest post until you associated communism with lawlessness, dead giveaway that you are a conservative...

The "hard hand" you yearn for is a staple of communist countries, don't shy away !

Also, rehabilitation actually does work though it's not easy... The dutch have been closing prisons and successfully rehabilitate their criminals, they don't use the death penalty or absurdly long sentences, and they spend a fraction of the amount that "hard hand" countries do.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,722

Post#76 » by SFour » Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:What is even more bizarre is that while most people would be upset about going to prison Baby is completely unfazed.

it's only 3 years....that's a slap on the wrist. He wouldn't be laughing if it were 10-20 years.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#77 » by LaLover11 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:32 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
SkyHookFTW wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

I've personally met Dwight, Blake and DJ during the lob city yrs and those are true giants.

DJ looked ridiculous out of the 3

Blake actually looked smaller than I expected
Dwight looks like a real life action figure with insane muscle
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,432

Post#78 » by Gusto1903 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:34 pm

On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
TinmanZBoy
General Manager
And1: 4,850

Post#79 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Some NBA players are just clueless after basketball. You would think with the money they made they would have a career set up after retirement.

Good thing these guys are starting to get media deals and making their own podcasts shows.

There is no reason why current NBA players should be struggling after retirement.

#FreeBigDummyDavis

This…
Some agencies should offer consulting and workshops for pro athletes for their post career lives…. Good business and also good for some athletes
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,285

Post#80 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Some NBA players are just clueless after basketball. You would think with the money they made they would have a career set up after retirement.

#FreeBigDummyDavis

This…
Some agencies should offer consulting and workshops for pro athletes for their post career lives…. Good business and also good for some athletes

How much of a workshop do you need to know that obvious fraud is never a good idea?

Return to The General Board