NBA Expansion

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 282

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,510

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#81 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 am

Clemenza wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
BernteB wrote:
i'm not talking about most popular sport, but most popular league.

And yet it's not lol. The Premier league, La Liga & possibly the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A (soccer) all surpass it by far. Heck, the NBA doesn't even match the NFL here.

The NFL, although its the richest sports league in the world, is only followed in North America(US, Canada, Mexico) with a sprinkle of fans in other countries.. The NFL is not worldwide like soccer(football) and basketball. The NBA is the Premiere League, La Liga of the basketball world and is followed world wide. The NBA is probably right behind or on par with La Liga and the EPL as far as worldwide viewership and followers. The NFL is not worldwide

It's not on par. It's just not. The EPL & La Liga blows the NBA away globally. More people universally know clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona & Man United, etc. The Lakers might be the only NBA team that has global name recognition.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#82 » by Clemenza » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:And yet it's not lol. The Premier league, La Liga & possibly the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A (soccer) all surpass it by far. Heck, the NBA doesn't even match the NFL here.

The NFL, although its the richest sports league in the world, is only followed in North America(US, Canada, Mexico) with a sprinkle of fans in other countries.. The NFL is not worldwide like soccer(football) and basketball. The NBA is the Premiere League, La Liga of the basketball world and is followed world wide. The NBA is probably right behind or on par with La Liga and the EPL as far as worldwide viewership and followers. The NFL is not worldwide

It's not on par. It's just not. The EPL & La Liga blows the NBA away globally. It just does.

https://howmuch.net/articles/sports-leagues-by-revenue

NFL- $13 billion
MLB- $9.5 billion
EPL- $5.3 billion
NBA- $4.8 billion
NHL- $3.7 billion
Bundesliga- $2.8 billion
La Liga- $ 2.2 billion

Basketball is a global sport right behind soccer and the NBA is the biggest and richest league on the planet earth. Its games are broadcasted over 200 hundred countries. Like how the best soccer players in the world want to play in the top 5 leagues in Europe, the best basketball players in the world want to play in the NBA. Its the La Liga, EPL, Serie A, etc of basketball. Also alot the falloff after Real Madrid, Barca, Athletico, and a couple of other teams in La Liga is huge. The same with all the other leagues.. Outside of the teams that qualify for ChampionsLeague alot of those clubs are barely getting by and don't bring in the money and world wide viewership of the top heavy super teams that are on top year after year after year.

Don't let America's view of the NBA fool you. The NBA is a global monster. The NBA and NFL are flipped as far as popularity and viewership wise outside of the US.
LookToShoot
Veteran
And1: 1,539

Post#83 » by LookToShoot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:37 am

I'm not in favor of adding another team, the league is watered down as it is.

Just move the Utah Jazz to Seattle.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#84 » by jimmy keys » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 am

MeestR wrote:Expand by 6 teams. 2 teams a year every 3-4 years until 6 teams are added. Total of 36 teams. Get rid of Conferences. Strengthen the worth of Divisions by scheduling. Top 16 make playoffs with Division winners earning home court advantage in 1st round. Lotto is a weighted shuffle of the bottom 10. The other ten teams get placed by record. Extend the draft after 2 rounds for all teams who wish to participate or have roster room until all players are taken or less than 3 teams are picking. No protections on those picks and require a mandatory D(scratch that) G-League stint. Only the top 2 rounds are trade-able and have team rights to them after the first year. No funky trade protections on draft picks. Lotto protection only.

Sorry, got off on a tangent. My top 6 expansion cities:

Seattle-Sonics
Louisville-ABA history-Colonels
St Louis - ABA history - Spirit
Norfolk - ABA history - Squires
Kansas City
San Juan

blvck wrote:im kinda hoping wen the nba does expand they go 36 teams 2 conferences 3divisions of 6 teams

i think we have a few locks for expansion and the rest would b subjective locks being seattle kcmo van other options to fill the final 3 slots mtl mexico jersey chi(2) cincy austin diego stl vegas louisville

too much talent not havin enough court time to truly develop players barely 30 being pushed out the league cuz we need roster room for the new draft picks draft picks that never even see the court draft picks bein used on stash players becuz roster room is short

withn the next 5yrs nba will need new stars anyways so its best to get the young talent spread in2 situations where they can develop so when the lebrons are gone n warriors past their prime everythng opens up and becomes competitive again

Zaschrona wrote:6 new franchises: Vancouver, Seattle, Kansas City, Albuquerque, Lousville, Pittsburgh.

Northwest divison
Vancouver
Seattle
Portland
Utah
Denver
Kansas City

Pacific divison
Sacramento
Golden State
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Phoenix
Albuquerque

Southwest division
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Memphis

Central division
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Chicago
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland

Southeast division
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Charlotte
Washington
Lousville

Pacific division
Boston
Toronto
Brooklyn
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

The only way the league would ever consider expanding to 36 is to expand it's global brand.

You think the current 30 owners are jumping at the idea of splitting their revenue with 6 other franchises? Yeah that's not happening.

The Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kansas City's of this world aren't moving the dial. :lol: The NBA is already in enough small markets. The Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid's of the world might be a different story if the TV money is there.

Seattle will get a team again but it will be because one of the 30 relocate.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,734

Post#85 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 am

RunSunRun wrote:
G Buckets wrote:I'd love to see a team in Pittsburgh.

It would take time for the city to become a basketball city, but the fans have always backed their teams, so an NBA team would get the support.

I pretty much dislike everything Pittsburgh...but they do have amazing fans and its a no brainer they would support an NBA franchise.

*reads this, notices a Cardinals fan*

*Goes to google, types "Steelers SB43 win images" *

Spoiler:

Lol, jk.
BernteB
Senior
And1: 907

Post#86 » by BernteB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:36 am

Clemenza wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Clemenza wrote:The NFL, although its the richest sports league in the world, is only followed in North America(US, Canada, Mexico) with a sprinkle of fans in other countries.. The NFL is not worldwide like soccer(football) and basketball. The NBA is the Premiere League, La Liga of the basketball world and is followed world wide. The NBA is probably right behind or on par with La Liga and the EPL as far as worldwide viewership and followers. The NFL is not worldwide

It's not on par. It's just not. The EPL & La Liga blows the NBA away globally. It just does.

https://howmuch.net/articles/sports-leagues-by-revenue

NFL- $13 billion
MLB- $9.5 billion
EPL- $5.3 billion
NBA- $4.8 billion
NHL- $3.7 billion
Bundesliga- $2.8 billion
La Liga- $ 2.2 billion

Basketball is a global sport right behind soccer and the NBA is the biggest and richest league on the planet earth. Its games are broadcasted over 200 hundred countries. Like how the best soccer players in the world want to play in the top 5 leagues in Europe, the best basketball players in the world want to play in the NBA. Its the La Liga, EPL, Serie A, etc of basketball. Also alot the falloff after Real Madrid, Barca, Athletico, and a couple of other teams in La Liga is huge. The same with all the other leagues.. Outside of the teams that qualify for ChampionsLeague alot of those clubs are barely getting by and don't bring in the money and world wide viewership of the top heavy super teams that are on top year after year after year.

Don't let America's view of the NBA fool you. The NBA is a global monster. The NBA and NFL are flipped as far as popularity and viewership wise outside of the US.

this. honestly, no one gives a flying eff about serie a. even in italy, serie a is becoming less and less popular because of the economic crisis italy is going through.

la liga is barca vs. real, and some years atletico madrid. that's it. no one dares to watch a match outside these three.

with the nba, you have people paying sh*tloads of money outside the us, just to see some middle class teams playing an exhibition game, in which they rest their top players for most of the time, because the hype is real.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#87 » by bmurph128 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

The Penguin wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:Columbus

1) The Columbus television market was the #3 market for Finals ratings this year. Obviously there was "local" interest for the Cavs, but citywide there's a high interest in basketball.

2) It's a diehard sports city, routinely ranking high in television ratings of all sporting events

3) A state of the art arena is already built, housing the Blue Jackets, NCAA tournament games, Cavs exhibition games, etc

4) It's the largest metro area in the US that does not have a NFL / NBA / MLB team, almost double the size of Memphis / Salt Lake City / Oklahoma City / New Orleans

5) It's tied for 5th for housing the most Fortune 500 companies

Dan Gilbert wouldn't let it happen, but bringing in Columbus would be a home run for the league as you would have a passionate fanbase with nothing but college sports vying for the attention.

Columbus is way too close to Cleveland and Indiana. I think most teams are allowed to advertise within a 75 to 100 mile radius of their respective towns. There will some overlap for cities north of Columbus. I think it would do well at first but it will surely slow down IMO. Louisville might be a better destination.

Lakers - Clippers
Nets - Knicks - 76ers
Bucks - Bulls

All closer to each other than Columbus to Cleveland or Indianapolis. I understand residents being set in as Cavs fans, but I think having something of their own would convert a lot of people.

Especially if it coincided with the end of the LeBron era in Cleveland.

Columbus has double the population Cleveland has, and more than Cleveland and Cincinnati combined. I would be willing to be there are more basketball fans in Columbus than Cleveland. I've been a Cavs fan since I was a kid, so it would be tough for me - but I would definitely support a basketball team here in Columbus. It's also bigger than Milwaukee, and the 14th biggest city in the country
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#88 » by nomansland » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:16 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Columbus is way too close to Cleveland and Indiana. I think most teams are allowed to advertise within a 75 to 100 mile radius of their respective towns. There will some overlap for cities north of Columbus. I think it would do well at first but it will surely slow down IMO. Louisville might be a better destination.

Lakers - Clippers
Nets - Knicks - 76ers
Bucks - Bulls

All closer to each other than Columbus to Cleveland or Indianapolis. I understand residents being set in as Cavs fans, but I think having something of their own would convert a lot of people.

Columbus has double the population Cleveland has, and more than Cleveland and Cincinnati combined. I would be willing to be there are more basketball fans in Columbus than Cleveland. I've been a Cavs fan since I was a kid, so it would be tough for me - but I would definitely support a basketball team here in Columbus. It's also bigger than Milwaukee, and the 14th biggest city in the country

The city proper of Columbus might be bigger but you have to go by metro area and when you do that the populations of all three are roughly the same, around 2 million people.
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#89 » by ZombieKilla » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:42 pm

There's no point in expanding.

All the superstars are trying to play together so that dilutes the talent for about 60-70% of the league.

Adding more teams makes it worse and just gives the super teams an even easier road to the championship.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#90 » by mudsak » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Vancouver had a team already...and it failed miserably. No reason to re-try that failed experiment.
Coachcavplaya23
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#91 » by Coachcavplaya23 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:

Lakers - Clippers
Nets - Knicks - 76ers
Bucks - Bulls

I could see a lot of people hopping on the Columbus bangwagon especially the timing would be great with Lebrons retirement. How long they sustain it is a different topic Lets be honest here most Cavs fans are really just Lebron fans. They will be gone.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#92 » by nomansland » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:08 pm

mudsak wrote:Vancouver had a team already...and it failed miserably. No reason to re-try that failed experiment.

I'm not sure that's the case. I've read elsewhere that attendance was pretty good despite the team being terrible and the owner being a complete douchebag.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#93 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:13 pm

nomansland wrote:
mudsak wrote:Vancouver had a team already...and it failed miserably. No reason to re-try that failed experiment.

I'm not sure that's the case. I've read elsewhere that attendance was pretty good despite the team being terrible and the owner being a complete douchebag.

Both Seattle & Vancouver had **** owners. Not poor attendance/support. Both deserve an expansion team.

The Grizzlies were owned by Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, who also owned the Vancouver Canucks of the National Hockey League (NHL). In January 2001, the Grizzlies were sold to Chicago-based Michael Heisley for US$160 million. At a press conference, he stated that he had the support of Stern, that he was committed to keeping the franchise in Vancouver, to making it a winning team, and that he was an owner that was committed to the market...He immediately started the process to relocate the team...On July 3, 2001, the Board of Governors unanimously approved the relocation.

The first four Grizzlies seasons had given average attendance in the middle third of the league.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,037

Re: NBA Expansion(Update - Silver says Expansion "Inevitable) 

Post#94 » by LakerLegend » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 am

"I think it's just a question of when's the right time to seriously start thinking about expansion," said Adam Silver. "Think about the state we're in the league right now, where amazing to me, that coming off these Finals you have some fans saying, 'there's only one good team in the league.'

"I'm thinking, if people really believe that even though we have 450 of the best players in the world and 450 players can only form one really good team, it doesn't make sense to expand in terms of dilution of talent.

"I don't want to put a precise timeline on it, but it's inevitable. At some point we'll start looking at growth of franchises. That's always been the case in this league. Seattle will no doubt be on a short list of cities we'll look at."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247026/NBA-Sees-Expansion-As-Inevitable-But-Not-Sure-On-Timeline

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Re: NBA Expansion(Update - Silver says Expansion "Inevitable) 

Post#95 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
"I think it's just a question of when's the right time to seriously start thinking about expansion," said Adam Silver. "Think about the state we're in the league right now, where amazing to me, that coming off these Finals you have some fans saying, 'there's only one good team in the league.'

"I'm thinking, if people really believe that even though we have 450 of the best players in the world and 450 players can only form one really good team, it doesn't make sense to expand in terms of dilution of talent.

"I don't want to put a precise timeline on it, but it's inevitable. At some point we'll start looking at growth of franchises. That's always been the case in this league. Seattle will no doubt be on a short list of cities we'll look at."

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247026/NBA-Sees-Expansion-As-Inevitable-But-Not-Sure-On-Timeline

Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#96 » by Egg Nog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 am

Spoken like someone with absolutely no awareness of the forces behind the previous failure or the change in conditions between then and now.
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Re: NBA Expansion(Update pg. 5 - Silver says Expansion "Inevitable", Seattle on Short List) 

Post#97 » by udfa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:25 am

I'm surprised Las Vegas isn't getting more support. I don't think the league should be worried about the gambling aspect, particularly not when the league is in bed with DFS companies anyway.

Some people have a conception of Vegas as a predominantly tourist town, but its market is just under 2 million people. That's a domestic population the same size as Sacramento, Cleveland, and Indianapolis, and larger than Milwaukee, OKC, Memphis, New Orleans and SLC.

I think it would be really fun to have a team in Vegas if the location was right. It seems like there's still a lot of room for development south of the Strip. I make an annual pilgrimage there and I'd definitely go watch a game even if I didn't care about either team. Of course I'm sure it would be a nightmare for coaches and GMs to have to police players in that town, but I bet you the players would support a franchise there!
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 707

Re: NBA Expansion(Update pg. 5 - Silver says Expansion "Inevitable", Seattle on Short List) 

Post#98 » by symbiotic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 am

SEATTLE BETTER **** GET THAT ARENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COME ON SEATTLE CITY COUNCIL.

Chris Hansen has the will. Will Seattle government SEIZE on this opportunity, or will it fold because of the maritime industry (or something else)?

Also, I need another team to root for incase the Knicks decide to trade 3 separate top 3 draft picks again for a 38 win future (or a few first round sweeps), cause Dolan thinks that taking the yucky medicine to rebuild is "beneath him".

The return of Seattle brings out the organic fan in me more than anything else.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#99 » by Spens1 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 am

Seattle?

Seattle.

The question is who else? St Louis, Kansas City, Columbus or even Las vegas

my pick would be St Louis (largest metro plus no NFL, baseball may be king but the nba would be #2)
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,328

Post#100 » by Zaschrona » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 am

Spens1 wrote:Seattle?

Seattle.

The question is who else? St Louis, Kansas City, Columbus or even Las vegas

my pick would be St Louis (largest metro plus no NFL, baseball may be king but the nba would be #2)

NBA would likely be behind NHL in St. Louis.

The clear answer for your question is Louisville.

Return to The General Board