Are the Pacers not getting fair treatment from refs?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,396

Re: Are the Pacers not getting fair treatment from refs? 

Post#81 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 10, 2024 2:35 pm

cgf wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Billl wrote:Meh. I watched and didn't think it was called lopsided. The knicks just up the physicality and the pacers didn't match, especially on the glass. Seemed like the knicks got every rebound in the second half. Also, the call carlisle was all worked up over was a really blown call by one ref. The refs huddled and overruled with the correct call. They got the call right and nobody had to challenge or use a timeout. It would be nice if the refs did that a little more often.

I think the reason he was mad about the overturn is because they didn't overturn the kickball that wasn't in Game 1. That was a huge call that, while I don't think guaranteed the Pacers a win, it would he put them up 1 with a minute or so left. Perhaps a ref even said that they saw it his hand and not kick but they didn't get the chance to overrule it (thats just my personal theory). It's fair to be mad, but in the long run, he really hurt his team by getting two techs in a nail biter, especially considering that the refs ended up getting the call right, which is all that anybody should want here regardless of outcome.

I dunno about that. I think he sensed his team had already lost the plot so he a) wanted to take the heat off them, and b) wanted to put the pressure on the refs before games 3 & 4. Getting tossed and fined showed his team that he had their backs, and put more pressure on the refs to give them the home-cooking down in Indy.

He hurt his team by getting two techs, yes, no doubt about it. It was a game that went down to the wire and every point matters. I'll elaborate more though, your probably right that he was taking the heat off of them in some form, but by constantly complaining about every call and making it all about the refs and them doing the Pacers wrong, I think he is hurting the team by making them lose focus on what they can control. The techs compounded that point and put his team in a bigger hole.

That game was a must win, in my opinion. They had Brunson out for the majority of the first half and then he was clearly hobbled the rest of the game. OG went down in the 3rd and from that point on the Knicks only had 6 players, including Brunson, who was gutting it out. The Pacers had an opportunity to stomp on the Knicks necks after halftime and instead, they let them back in the game almost immediately. Instead of keeping his team focused, Carlisle aided the unraveling by harping on the refs instead of keeping his players composed in a game that they should have won. It's not the refs fault they lost this game or either game.

The Pacers were in control of their own destiny and they decided to focus on something else. If that is called strategy for home court cooking with the refs in Indy then I think they missed a bigger opportunity by not focusing on what was right in front of them.
Go Knicks!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#82 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 2:43 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
cgf wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
I think the reason he was mad about the overturn is because they didn't overturn the kickball that wasn't in Game 1. That was a huge call that, while I don't think guaranteed the Pacers a win, it would he put them up 1 with a minute or so left. Perhaps a ref even said that they saw it his hand and not kick but they didn't get the chance to overrule it (thats just my personal theory). It's fair to be mad, but in the long run, he really hurt his team by getting two techs in a nail biter, especially considering that the refs ended up getting the call right, which is all that anybody should want here regardless of outcome.

I dunno about that. I think he sensed his team had already lost the plot so he a) wanted to take the heat off them, and b) wanted to put the pressure on the refs before games 3 & 4. Getting tossed and fined showed his team that he had their backs, and put more pressure on the refs to give them the home-cooking down in Indy.

He hurt his team by getting two techs, yes, no doubt about it. It was a game that went down to the wire and every point matters. I'll elaborate more though, your probably right that he was taking the heat off of them in some form, but by constantly complaining about every call and making it all about the refs and them doing the Pacers wrong, I think he is hurting the team by making them lose focus on what they can control. The techs compounded that point and put his team in a bigger hole.

That game was a must win, in my opinion. They had Brunson out for the majority of the first half and then he was clearly hobbled the rest of the game. OG went down in the 3rd and from that point on the Knicks only had 6 players, including Brunson, who was gutting it out. The Pacers had an opportunity to stomp on the Knicks necks after halftime and instead, they let them back in the game almost immediately. Instead of keeping his team focused, Carlisle aided the unraveling by harping on the refs instead of keeping his players composed in a game that they should have won. It's not the refs fault they lost this game or either game.

The Pacers were in control of their own destiny and they decided to focus on something else. If that is called strategy for home court cooking with the refs in Indy then I think they missed a bigger opportunity by not focusing on what was right in front of them.

Constantly complaining? This isn't Nurse crying after every game, Carlisle complained about the refs once. Even after game 1 he said all of the right things.

That's a big part of why I suspect this is purely tactical from him...that and just the way he sounded during the presser...the other big reason is none of his players has gone all Embiid & complained about the refs in interviews; so they're probably hearing the right things from Carlisle behind closed doors.

I'd have to doublecheck when exactly he got tossed, but to me, it felt like the game was already lost while watching it. The pacers had unravelled too much to rally without something dramatic happening...like their coach getting tossed for them...and we were just rolling too much for them to stop.

At that point I don't think anything would've changed the momentum enough to save that game...even if he had given TJ a couple of rails & sent him back out there until his heart exploded.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#83 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 10, 2024 3:02 pm

cgf wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
cgf wrote:

Constantly complaining? This isn't Nurse crying after every game, Carlisle complained about the refs once. Even after game 1 he said all of the right things.

That's a big part of why I suspect this is purely tactical from him...that and just the way he sounded during the presser...the other big reason is none of his players has gone all Embiid & complained about the refs in interviews; so they're probably hearing the right things from Carlisle behind closed doors.

I'd have to doublecheck when exactly he got tossed, but to me, it felt like the game was already lost while watching it. The pacers had unravelled too much to rally without something dramatic happening...like their coach getting tossed for them...and we were just rolling too much for them to stop.

At that point I don't think anything would've changed the momentum enough to save that game...even if he had given TJ a couple of rails & sent him back out there until his heart exploded.

He was complaining to the refs most of the game from what I saw.

No one is going to be as pathetic as Embiid was. He's in a league of his own.

You're right, that he got tossed late, but we JUST saw two crazy turn of events where the Sixers and Knicks overcame 5 and 6 point deficits with under 30 seconds left. Reggie Miller was in the building and we've sadly seen that replay (and live) thousands of times. Anything is possible. The coach increasing the deficit and walking out on the game certainly didn't help and I'm sure some players figured it was over after that too.
Go Knicks!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#84 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 3:17 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
cgf wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

You're right, that he got tossed late, but we JUST saw two crazy turn of events where the Sixers and Knicks overcame 5 and 6 point deficits with under 30 seconds left. Reggie Miller was in the building and we've sadly seen that replay (and live) thousands of times. Anything is possible. The coach increasing the deficit and walking out on the game certainly didn't help and I'm sure some players figured it was over after that too.

I mean that's just NBA coaches. Thibs yells at the refs after every other play...if not more often :lol:

It's going to the press to complain that's not standard procedure, and he's only done that the one time, with all of his players still saying the right things. If he comes out before game 3 to say something about the refs again and keeps going, I'll criticize him, but so far he has my respect :dontknow:

You're right that crazy things have happened, but you could feel that we were still fighting and that Maxey was trying not to let his team give up before those crazy finishes. TJ was the only Pacers still fighting like that but he's a) not going to hit a clutch 3, and b) only got so much in the tank.

And a good coach has a better feel for his team than any outsider, so if he didn't feel like they had a come back in them, I trust him on that. They're a deep & scrappy team, but they are still learning to be clutch / win...that's why they came out flat in game 1 against Milwaukee and why they needed two stabs at putting them away.

A coach getting tossed can definitely cause the players to move onto the next game, but it can also spark them to bust their asses after their coach sacrifice themselves for the players...and that can carry over to the next game.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,285

Post#85 » by seren » Fri May 10, 2024 5:13 pm

Refs did dirty to Indy in the second game ejecting TJ. He was playing really good defense on Brunson
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,232

Post#86 » by Lalouie » Fri May 10, 2024 5:43 pm

Nykbacker wrote:Rick Carlisle is submitting a formal complaint to the league office.

Not sure his argument when his team is missing free throws and allowing the opposition to shoot 57% from the field.

nothing is ever fair to teams/players involved
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#87 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 10, 2024 6:53 pm

cgf wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
cgf wrote:

I mean that's just NBA coaches. Thibs yells at the refs after every other play...if not more often :lol:

It's going to the press to complain that's not standard procedure, and he's only done that the one time, with all of his players still saying the right things. If he comes out before game 3 to say something about the refs again and keeps going, I'll criticize him, but so far he has my respect :dontknow:

You're right that crazy things have happened, but you could feel that we were still fighting and that Maxey was trying not to let his team give up before those crazy finishes. TJ was the only Pacers still fighting like that but he's a) not going to hit a clutch 3, and b) only got so much in the tank.

And a good coach has a better feel for his team than any outsider, so if he didn't feel like they had a come back in them, I trust him on that. They're a deep & scrappy team, but they are still learning to be clutch / win...that's why they came out flat in game 1 against Milwaukee and why they needed two stabs at putting them away.

A coach getting tossed can definitely cause the players to move onto the next game, but it can also spark them to bust their asses after their coach sacrifice themselves for the players...and that can carry over to the next game.

The biggest mistake they made was not playing TJ more. He was killing us in both games. Giving Brunson fits, doing whatever he wanted offensively. Setting everyone else up. He's a +19 in 45 minutes over 2 games (10 and 9 in each game). In the 51 minutes he hasn't been on the floor the Pacers have been outscored by 32. Thats pretty wild.
Go Knicks!

Return to The General Board