NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

aj174
Senior
And1: 911

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#81 » by aj174 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:08 pm

If only they can replace ESPN with NBC and keep TNT too
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,445

Post#82 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:11 pm

TNT inside is nice but surprised people are so attached.

This is a net win IMO
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 577

Post#83 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Thu May 9, 2024 8:12 pm

Does this mean that the game will be nationally televised again (NBC), or do we need pay for streaming service like Peacock, NBA League pass, Hulu...etc?

If the latter, then that's huge for people who don't have cable like myself.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,547

Post#84 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 9, 2024 8:12 pm

shza wrote:Agree with all the comments about Inside — though it would not surprise me if NBC bought the show or at least the guys.

Hopefully they do NOT bring over Ian Eagle — I have never been as bothered by a commentator’s voice/vowel pronunciation as I am by him.

Really? I like him, for the most part.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,499

Post#85 » by Chinook » Thu May 9, 2024 8:26 pm

I actually hate Inside the NBA, so anything that gets rid of them would get my thumbs up. Hell, even bringing back The Starters would be an improvement. I enjoyed TNT's coverage and don't know how I feel about USA or CNBC potentially having games. But I totally get why NBC wants this. They're awful with shows and probably want something else to put on TV instead of their programming. I'm also curious how things will work with the regional networks, especially given Bally Sports going belly up.

I'm worried we're somehow going to get fewer NBA games to watch despite three companies having broadcasting rights. The division proposed in the WT article seems to leave rather large gaps, especially during football season. Turner having zero conflict with the NFL really helped, and Comcast and Amazon seem to only want the NBA as a supplement to their established NFL offerings. Thursday Night Football is usually so awful that I am not looking forward to having nothing else to watch on those days because the NBA wants to defer national coverage to it.
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 603

Post#86 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Thu May 9, 2024 9:36 pm

kodo wrote:If TNT loses the NBA, there's almost no chance the TNT crew stays together.
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/05/02/ernie-johnson-turner-nba-media-rights

- Ernie is going to stay with TNT no matter what.
"But the sources said Johnson -- who has been the lead studio host for "Inside the NBA" for 35 years -- "would stay with Turner" and likely continue his role as lead studio host for the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, as well as do MLB play-by-play. Johnson did not respond to an interview request Thursday but sources said the reason he is staying at WBD is mostly loyalty. "He is Turner Sports. Period," a source said."

- Barkley will leave, and ESPN in interested.
"Barkley told ESPN Cleveland on Tuesday that he has an opt-out in his contract, in case the NBA chooses ESPN, Amazon and NBCUniversal ahead of WBD."
"ESPN has long been intrigued by Barkley, and its Chair Jimmy Pitaro has been open about trying to replicate "Inside the NBA."

- Shaq might just not cover the NBA in general and focus on his companies.

Yep so it's not really speculation at this point Ernie has a lot of loyalty to TNT, he's just not going anywhere else after his 35+ years in the company. Inside the NBA just won't be the same if WBD doesn't win the bid.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#87 » by Ducklett » Thu May 9, 2024 9:53 pm

Chinook wrote:I actually hate Inside the NBA, so anything that gets rid of them would get my thumbs up. Hell, even bringing back The Starters would be an improvement. I enjoyed TNT's coverage and don't know how I feel about USA or CNBC potentially having games. But I totally get why NBC wants this. They're awful with shows and probably want something else to put on TV instead of their programming. I'm also curious how things will work with the regional networks, especially given Bally Sports going belly up.

I'm worried we're somehow going to get fewer NBA games to watch despite three companies having broadcasting rights. The division proposed in the WT article seems to leave rather large gaps, especially during football season. Turner having zero conflict with the NFL really helped, and Comcast and Amazon seem to only want the NBA as a supplement to their established NFL offerings. Thursday Night Football is usually so awful that I am not looking forward to having nothing else to watch on those days because the NBA wants to defer national coverage to it.

It is hard to take anything you said seriously after saying the Starters would be an improvement, to be honest. I guess there is just no accounting for taste.

I am shocked at the amount of hate on here for Inside the NBA. They are infinitely better than nearly all the non-Van Gundy commentary teams and everything involved with ESPN/ABC outside of Mike Breen and Richard Jefferson. JJ Redick is okay, I guess.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,018

Post#88 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 9, 2024 9:55 pm

I have no problem with Sir Chares and Kenny, but idiot Shaq has to go. The Starters were good too, and would be my choice if TNT retained Shaq.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,280

Post#89 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 9, 2024 10:13 pm

Chinook wrote:I actually hate Inside the NBA, so anything that gets rid of them would get my thumbs up. Hell, even bringing back The Starters would be an improvement. I enjoyed TNT's coverage and don't know how I feel about USA or CNBC potentially having games. But I totally get why NBC wants this. They're awful with shows and probably want something else to put on TV instead of their programming. I'm also curious how things will work with the regional networks, especially given Bally Sports going belly up.

Amazon threw Bally Sports a lifeline.

https://retailwire.com/amazon-secures-bally-sports-rsn-streaming/
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,966

Post#90 » by Memories » Thu May 9, 2024 10:15 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Bittersweet NBC was great in the 90's. That theme music was my childhood.

I hate that TNT is over. Those dudes are the best thing on tv. We will never laugh at sports without that group together.

Chuck is pretty much 90% of the comedy on TNT, with 10% coming from Shaq.

Ernie and Kenny are forgettable and Shaq is just a douche

Calling Ernie Johnson forgettable puts you on my **** list now buddy.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#91 » by Chinook » Thu May 9, 2024 10:28 pm

Ducklett wrote:

It is hard to take anything you said seriously after saying the Starters would be an improvement, to be honest. I guess there is just no accounting for taste.

I am shocked at the amount of hate on here for Inside the NBA. They are infinitely better than nearly all the non-Van Gundy commentary teams and everything involved with ESPN/ABC outside of Mike Breen and Richard Jefferson. JJ Redick is okay, I guess.

I hated The Starters with a burning passion and was elated when it was taken off the air. That's how much I dislike Inside the NBA. I don't actually like NBA "shows" in the first place. I certainly don't need "analysts" who barely watch the sport bicker about their takes. If I'm watching something like that, I mostly just want the highlights, some stats for context and maybe some relevant press conferences or interviews. I don't need "personalities" distracting from that. Do I think that ecosystem has a right to exist? Obviously. But I consider it anathema.

You shouldn't be shocked at how much people dislike a show with so many obvious flaws, especially given the gross amount of policing of opinions its fans showed in the early pages. To me, it's the least important part of TNT/Turner NBA coverage I stand to lose. I am more lamenting not seeing commercials for whatever shows TNT is trying to push on us this year than I am the crop of tired talent that network has been trying to push a decade past their relevance. One advantage to ESPN's staffing issues is they're always bringing in different analysts, which at least makes it more bearable.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Chinook » Thu May 9, 2024 10:30 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:

Amazon threw Bally Sports a lifeline.

https://retailwire.com/amazon-secures-bally-sports-rsn-streaming/

That Amazon and Comcast have control/partnership over most of the regional broadcasting in addition to a large part of the national coverage is interesting. We're moving further from the potential future of a direct-to-consumer NBA viewing model, but maybe we can back into it through the corporate hellscape
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 358

Post#93 » by uncleduck13 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:38 pm

Good riddance. Shaq been ruined the TNT experience for me
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,977

Post#94 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 9, 2024 11:09 pm

Onus wrote:Too bad ESPN isn't being replaced
Preach.

TNT/NBC makes so much sense, its insane.

ESPN is worse then 90% of local telecasts. Just brutal.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,945

Post#95 » by dhsilv2 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:14 pm

Meeksology wrote:End of an era if Inside the NBA isnt brought back. Silver needs to add a clause in the new contract, that if we, the NBA, decide to go with NBC, that the Inside the NBA crew is brought on and still have their show as is.

Minus shaq!
SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 853

Post#96 » by SportsGuru08 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:20 pm

Hopefully NBC's coverage of the NBA will be as good the second time around. But I will miss Inside the NBA since TNT actually promotes the game instead of spending all its time creating narratives about LeBron's legacy.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,211

Post#97 » by Bob Ross » Thu May 9, 2024 11:25 pm

Good. NBA on NBC was top tier
Milenkovic
Senior
And1: 674

Post#98 » by Milenkovic » Fri May 10, 2024 12:11 am

Can't remember where i watched it, but I saw an interview recently with Chuck, he has an opt out, but Ernie doesn't and he went on to say that if (at that time) the NBA was to leave TNT, Ernie would stay with TNT.
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,705

Post#99 » by Baz » Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 am

A massive shame. Inside the NBA is as good as its ever been. Those 4 guys have something special and have many more years of entertainment to offer that we are going to miss out on.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,801

Post#100 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri May 10, 2024 12:26 am

Now there's a WT item with WBD/Zaslov saying they're still in talks.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275653/David-Zaslav-WBD-Still-In-Active-Negotiations-On-Media-Right-Deal-To-Keep-NBA-On-TNT

I'm guessing the article from earlier today, which only cited anonymous sources, was from NBC/Comcast sources, and this is WBD reacting to that.

Return to The General Board