Shams Bomb: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,950

Re: Shams Bomb: Suns hire Mike Budenholzer 

Post#81 » by One Last Shot » Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 am

OxAndFox wrote:
AntetokounmBros wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:How does this work with the Bucks? Bud has 1 year, 8 million left on his contract. Do the Bucks get off the hook now that Phoenix hired him?

I don't know the actual rules, but I don't think so. Reminds me of when Larry Sanders left the team in 2014, was getting paid by the Bucks through 2022, but he was signed by Cleveland in the middle of that stretch.

Could be wrong on this, but I think the Bucks would be off the hook for next season. I can't remember when and who it was, but I thought I read somewhere that when a coach gets fired the team pays the salary at the yearly rate. It might have been something around the NBACA or something. They don't get bought out as in get paid in a lump sum.
If the coach then gets a job elsewhere, the team, Milwaukee in this case, has their total amount taken off the new amount.
So if the Bucks owed Bud less than $10m next season then they're off the hook.
If say a coach gets fired from team A and is on $10m and signs for team B at $6m on the next job team A pays the difference of the original amount, which would be $4m.

I'm not sure but maybe that only applies to NBA players like when someone got bought out and sign with a new team then their new salary will be deducted to the amount their old team have to paid them. We can't be sure unless the contract stipulation of a coach will be disclosed.

Return to The General Board