NBA Expansion

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 273

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,016

NBA Expansion 

Post#1 » by LakerLegend » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 am

Let me preface this with the fact that Silver has said the NBA doesn't have plans to expand anytime soon.

Let me add that despite that, we know they want a team in Seattle eventually.

The league wants an even amount of teams, so naturally they will add another.

The question is, who?

Keep in mind you don't look at city size, you look at METRO area size, as well as the economy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._metropolitan_areas_by_GDP

Here's a list of some possibilities:

Kansas City: No team in the huge state of Missouri which also encompasses St. Louis, and I believe they have built a modern arena to attract the NBA. St. Louis just lost their 2nd NFL team in 30 years, and have lost bball teams before, so I'm going to go with KS over St. Louis.

Vancouver: I think this would be a great market, a large, wealthy growing city with a huge immigrant population. They supported the Grizzlies well. Problem is it's pretty close to Seattle and I don't think the NBA would want to put two new teams in markets so close to each other. Canada's population is also roughly the size of California's and California has 4 teams.

Louisville: College bball town, have built an NBA arena I believe like St. Louis, at the very least I believe they want a team?

Pittsburgh: Famous, well known city but is it a basketball town?

San Diego: See Pittsburgh.

There are others: Virginia Beach, Las Vegas, Tampa, Cincinnati but I don't think they are really basketball markets.

So where should the NBA expand in addition to Seattle WHEN THE TIME COMES?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,469

NBA Expansion 

Post#2 » by Foye » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am

You know its offseason when threads like this occur.

Next up: yearly discussion about a European nba team/division.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#3 » by Spens1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am

Kansas City or St Louis, leaning toward St Louis (because no NFL, NBA can become the main thing along with baseball).

Like SoCal needs any more teams.
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#4 » by WhateverBro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am

Seattle and Vancouver are next up IMO.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,870

Post#5 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:48 am

Welp, better than an MJ vs Lebron Vs Kobe thread!

Next NBA team will be in Seattle and then after that a team in....Louisville?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#6 » by BernteB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 am

i would love to see a team in las vegas.
Romeiro Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,749

Post#7 » by Romeiro Celtic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:01 pm

I believe the NBA should expand a little more to Canada in Vancouver. Grizzlies already played there, it would be nice. If not there then I should say Kansas City.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
Lobo_Loco
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#8 » by Lobo_Loco » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:12 pm

In the NBA 2k games I always created teams using different cities I think the NBA could expand to, except for Anchorage. Names are not particularly related to anything to that location, just things I came up with.

Cincinnati Comets
Anchorage Wolverines
Las Vegas Matadors
Nashville Hogs
Austin Rustlers
Raleigh Maulers

names suck, i know lol
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 829

Post#9 » by kacey ring » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:19 pm

With what is going on with University of Louisville right now, that city should finally be ready to embrace an NBA team. It's not Pitino's town anymore.

Time to let the Kentucky Colonels in the NBA!!
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,016

Post#10 » by LakerLegend » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Looks like the league should eventually do a 4 team expansion with Louisville, KS, and Vancouver joining Seattle judging by the poll.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#11 » by Wolfy1983 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Does Vancouver even want a team?
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,983

Post#12 » by miamiheat319 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm

Kansas City or St. Louis IMO, but I'd be glad with any expansion anywhere lol.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
InfinityZero
Sophomore
And1: 152

Post#13 » by InfinityZero » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Where is the option for retraction?

Considering sports stations, larger markets and large market fans think they are owed all of the star players and small market teams should accept it, they should cut the league down to 20 teams, if not 10 teams.

After seeing Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul, Stephon Marbury... that doesn't even include non-midwest guys like Shaq, Dwight, Vince who hated their market....

Point is, there is no longer a point in being a fan of a small market team as they're mistreated by the league, mistreated by sports hosts, mistreated by fans etc. Unless the league has equal revenue sharing for small market teams to go into the luxury cap, then the NBA will forever be unfairly operated.

When you start seeing sports hosts and fans saying Pacers should trade one of their all-time greats for 2 years of Kevin Love, I see no point in watching the NBA if people think that's in any way fair or accurate judgement of a trade that should occur. Same way they all put Lavar Ball on tv and claim it's what we want. Tons of NBA fans have been brainwashed into thinking the NBA is doing a good job in running itself. It's doing a good job in running itself off a cliff. Other than Chicago and maybe Detroit... Indiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Denver, Utah, New Orleans, Memphis should all be retracted since large markets piss all over them and steal their talent because the league is set up to allow it. If large markets want these teams to stick around, how about they split the revenue with them equally and implement some type of tag of one player per roster. Wouldn't want that, gotta rob the Midwest of Lebron, Melo, Durant, Deron, CP3, Garnett, Ray, Marbury etc. Gordon Hayward may go to Boston, Paul George will be gone and Anthony Davis along with DeMarcus Cousins will both be pilfered.

Congrats to California, New York, Chicago, Texas and Florida for owning the league, good job. Now give money to the teams you're stealing from to stack the deck. Pay for all the Midwest teams expenses so those teams can quit robbing their taxpayers to fix up the arenas we aren't even going to. That, or retract them altogether, because most of us Midwest fans now loathe the NBA until they decide to once again become a legit league instead of scripting it like the WWF. You think Donaghy was only one rigging games? The NBA execs and refs rate other refs in the league, but they still couldn't tell Lakers/Blazers, Lakers/Kings, Mavs/Heat 06, Pacers/Heat all 3 series in 2010's, Cavs/Warriors 16 etc. were all rigged? So very blatantly rigged.

It's shocking that people are talking about expansion when half the current fan bases in the league no longer trust the NBA nor do they care if their favorite team is relocated. Let them relocate to another city where they can be taken advantage of, because we see locally how bad we're getting f'ed up by the corrupt league and sports stations who are as credible as CNN and their fake news.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,532

Post#14 » by LofJ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

I think Kansas City is the best choice. It's on the border of two states and Kansas is crazy about basketball, they would be well supported. It's also in close proximity to OKC and Memphis, which is nice for scheduling purposes. I'd then move the Wolves into the Eastern conference because one look at a map will confirm that they are in the wrong conference.

Northeast
Boston
New York
Brooklyn
Toronto

North Central
Chicago
Detroit
Milwaukee
Minnesota

Southeast
Miami
Orlando
Atlanta
Charlotte

Mid-Atlantic
Washington
Philadelphia
Cleveland
Indiana

Northwest
Portland
Seattle
Sacramento
Golden State

Southwest
LAC
LAL
Phoenix
Utah

South Central
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio
New Orleans

Midwest
OKC
Kansas City
Memphis
Denver
brianmc
Senior
And1: 64

Post#15 » by brianmc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

AUSTIN, TX!!!
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#16 » by joyeuxnoel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:03 pm

InfinityZero wrote:Where is the option for retraction?

Considering sports stations, larger markets and large market fans think they are owed all of the star players and small market teams should accept it, they should cut the league down to 20 teams, if not 10 teams.

After seeing Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Ray Allen, Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul, Stephon Marbury... that doesn't even include non-midwest guys like Shaq, Dwight, Vince who hated their market....

Point is, there is no longer a point in being a fan of a small market team as they're mistreated by the league, mistreated by sports hosts, mistreated by fans etc. Unless the league has equal revenue sharing for small market teams to go into the luxury cap, then the NBA will forever be unfairly operated.

When you start seeing sports hosts and fans saying Pacers should trade one of their all-time greats for 2 years of Kevin Love, I see no point in watching the NBA if people think that's in any way fair or accurate judgement of a trade that should occur. Same way they all put Lavar Ball on tv and claim it's what we want. Tons of NBA fans have been brainwashed into thinking the NBA is doing a good job in running itself. It's doing a good job in running itself off a cliff. Other than Chicago and maybe Detroit... Indiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Denver, Utah, New Orleans, Memphis should all be retracted since large markets piss all over them and steal their talent because the league is set up to allow it. If large markets want these teams to stick around, how about they split the revenue with them equally and implement some type of tag of one player per roster. Wouldn't want that, gotta rob the Midwest of Lebron, Melo, Durant, Deron, CP3, Garnett, Ray, Marbury etc. Gordon Hayward may go to Boston, Paul George will be gone and Anthony Davis along with DeMarcus Cousins will both be pilfered.

Congrats to California, New York, Chicago, Texas and Florida for owning the league, good job. Now give money to the teams you're stealing from to stack the deck. Pay for all the Midwest teams expenses so those teams can quit robbing their taxpayers to fix up the arenas we aren't even going to. That, or retract them altogether, because most of us Midwest fans now loathe the NBA until they decide to once again become a legit league instead of scripting it like the WWF. You think Donaghy was only one rigging games? The NBA execs and refs rate other refs in the league, but they still couldn't tell Lakers/Blazers, Lakers/Kings, Mavs/Heat 06, Pacers/Heat all 3 series in 2010's, Cavs/Warriors 16 etc. were all rigged? So very blatantly rigged.

It's shocking that people are talking about expansion when half the current fan bases in the league no longer trust the NBA nor do they care if their favorite team is relocated. Let them relocate to another city where they can be taken advantage of, because we see locally how bad we're getting f'ed up by the corrupt league and sports stations who are as credible as CNN and their fake news.

agreed we should take away teams instead of expanding
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#17 » by MisterHibachi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Montreal.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Bolts
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,051

Post#18 » by Bolts » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:23 pm

Kansas City already has a prebuilt newer facility called the Sprint Center. Maybe they could get the Kings name back to go with the Royals and Chiefs.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Vancouver deserves a team as well. Second choice would be KC.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#20 » by gts1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 pm

not one of the cities listed can support a modern NBA team
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...

Return to The General Board