NBA Expansion

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 273

Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,147

Re: NBA Expansion (Update pg. 22 - second city will be Las Vegas or Vancouver) 

Post#581 » by Lalouie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 am

NZB2323 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:vegas,,,to balance out the geography

vegas/phx/utah/denver

vancouver next to seattle sounds crowded for that part of north america, and there would already be six on the west coast

i wonder how many people think vegas is not a "real city", and chose vancouver instead ?

People in Vancouver aren’t SuperSonics fans. They want to root for a team in Canada, just like how people in Wisconsin aren’t Chicago fans.

wasn't referring to fanship. just the literal geography of such a placement
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,957

Post#582 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:15 am

Lalouie wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

vegas/phx/utah/denver

vancouver next to seattle sounds crowded for that part of north america, and there would already be six on the west coast

i wonder how many people think vegas is not a "real city", and chose vancouver instead ?

People in Vancouver aren’t SuperSonics fans. They want to root for a team in Canada, just like how people in Wisconsin aren’t Chicago fans.

wasn't referring to fanship. just the literal geography of such a placement

I don’t understand the relevancy. There are 2 teams in LA, 2 teams in New York, and the NBA wants to grow the game in other countries.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#583 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:22 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Seattle is under strong consideration because they have a wealthy investment group with strong NBA ties. It's the same group that paid for an expansion NHL team (Kraken). It also paid for a Billion $ dollar makeover of Seattle Center (new arena).

David Bonderman, is the principle owner of the Hockey team & will write a check for NBA expansion. He's currently a minority owner of the Celtics (10%).

The league will give Seattle an expansion team. It's all but a done deal.

Maybe. But not over a group offering a few hundred million more.

Spoiler:
They're not getting outbid.

Maybe...deep pockets of billionaires wanting to have a new toy in lots of cities.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#584 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:24 am

vegas/phx/utah/denver

Look at the current alignment of league. Then tell us if they care one cent about “balance” in geography.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,147

Post#585 » by Lalouie » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:48 am

SNPA wrote:

vegas/phx/utah/denver

Look at the current alignment of league. Then tell us if they care one cent about “balance” in geography.

i know(memphis), and i don't care

the deal is vancouver or vegas. okay then,,,vegas is a better city. it's not a "better" city than vancouver but it's just better for the nba. the north doesn't offer a significant reason to expand up there. if silver wants the nba to be global, outside of nyc and la, there's no more recognized city in the usa to the rest of the world than vegas.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Post#586 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:51 am

SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:Maybe. But not over a group offering a few hundred million more.

Spoiler:

Maybe...deep pockets of billionaires wanting to have a new toy in lots of cities.

The league wants a team back in Seattle. Money will not be an issue. This is not a blind auction process.

When the league votes on it, Seattle's application will be approved.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,443

Post#587 » by D.Brasco » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:56 am

Seattle for a team that will be moved (Pels?), Vegas for an expansion which makes total sense and realignment of 1 or 2 western Conference teams to the east, most like Minnesota.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,642

Post#588 » by JayMKE » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:56 am

Vegas fans most likely would be mess less annoying than Vancouver fans, really not fan of expanding beyond Seattle. Just keep at 31 who cares?
FREE GIANNIS
SNPA
General Manager

Post#589 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:00 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Spoiler:

The league wants a team back in Seattle. Money will not be an issue. This is not a blind auction process.

Why does the league want that?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#590 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:14 am

SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:Maybe...deep pockets of billionaires wanting to have a new toy in lots of cities.

Why does the league want Seattle back? There are numerous reasons. Some of which are fairly obvious to the average person.

The league has been waiting for a group to emerge that would produce a new world class arena. This has been the case for some time. Previously, Seattle did not have an adequate arena. Not until now. The arena is set to open this Fall for the debut of the Kraken (NHL expansion team).
SNPA
General Manager

Post#591 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:16 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:The league wants a team back in Seattle. Money will not be an issue. This is not a blind auction process.

Why does the league want Seattle back? There are numerous reasons. Some of which are fairly obvious to the average person.

The league has been waiting for a group to emerge that would produce a new world class arena. This has been the case for some time. Previously, Seattle did not have an adequate arena. Not until now.

What makes that different than another group that has a world class arena, or a locked in plan for one?

And I have not followed all the domestic developments in Seattle since the Kings saga, is this a tax payer funded arena (in part or full)?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#592 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:44 am

SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:Why does the league want that?

The league has been waiting for a group to emerge that would produce a new world class arena. This has been the case for some time. Previously, Seattle did not have an adequate arena. Not until now.

What makes that different than another group that has a world class arena, or a locked in plan for one?

And I have not followed all the domestic developments in Seattle since the Kings saga, is this a tax payer funded arena (in part or full)?

The city is at the top of the list due to economics. It's a city with an already strong built-in following. Along with political backing.

The arena is privately financed.

No, the league doesn't care if an arena is publicly/privately financed. That's ultimately up to the owner(s). It is not a deterrent. Contrary to what you might think. The latest example is that of the Warriors. A new arena in SF, which was itself privately financed. This is becoming more of a trend.

As a Sacramento fan, I'm sure you're well aware of the politics involved. The city was on the verge of losing it's team, had they not come forward with plans to build an arena. Good for Sacramento.

But, I can assure you, that the lack of public funding is/will not be an issue.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#593 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:06 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Why does the league want Seattle back? There are numerous reasons. Some of which are fairly obvious to the average person.

The city is at the top of the list due to economics. It's a city with an already strong built-in following. Along with political backing.

The arena is privately financed.

No, the league doesn't care if an arena is publicly/privately financed. That's ultimately up to the owner(s). It is not a deterrent. Contrary to what you might think. The latest example is that of the Warriors. A new arena in SF, which was itself privately financed. This is becoming more of a trend.

As a Sacramento fan, I'm sure you're well aware of the politics involved. The city was on the verge of losing it's team, had they not come forward with plans to build an arena. Good for Sacramento.

But, I can assure you, that the lack of public funding is/will not be an issue.

I’m not saying it’s a make or break on arena funding. But the NBA definitely prefers tax payer funding in part. This is part of the league’s business model. There are 30 teams, arenas last around 30 years so the league is constantly involved in this. Small market owners especially want tax funding. The league sees that as a value add, and they go out of their way to achieve it. But again, it’s not by itself determinative. Because of COVID expansion is driven by money in owners pockets.

If Seattle has the money and the arena then they will get a team. If they are sizably behind in money they won’t. The other owners don’t care about Seattle, they are not sentimental or paying attention to community rallies. It will be about money. Seattle has no special place in line. I’ve learned this the hard way as a hopeful Kings fan.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#594 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:10 am

SNPA wrote:If Seattle has the money and the arena then they will get a team.

So...we're on the same page then. Good. I'm glad. :wink:

Honestly, everything is good to go! No worries.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#595 » by EricAnderson » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 am

Would St Louis or Kansas City support a NbA team?

They don’t seem like cities that would love a NBA team but hell New Orleans has a team and the city doesn’t care about the NBA much so who knows
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#597 » by Parataxis » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:31 pm

Lalouie wrote:
SNPA wrote:

vegas/phx/utah/denver

i know(memphis), and i don't care

the deal is vancouver or vegas. okay then,,,vegas is a better city. it's not a "better" city than vancouver but it's just better for the nba. the north doesn't offer a significant reason to expand up there. if silver wants the nba to be global, outside of nyc and la, there's no more recognized city in the usa to the rest of the world than vegas.

Vancouver is a much better city for expansion than Vegas in terms of NBA needs.

For one, it's a bigger city with more business. But also, it has the Asian ties that Vegas doesn't. A team in Vancouver would help the NBA expand interest in Asia much more than Vegas would.

Outside of the US, Vegas is a place that people might visit, but it's not really a town that people think about.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,039

Post#599 » by JazzUte88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 pm

No need to expand and dilute the product. Just trade the Seattle Kraken to New Orleans (New Orleans Kraken sounds good btw) and bring the Seattle SuperPelicans back.

Of course then the New Orleans Brass will want the Jazz back. And that isn’t **** happening.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,777

Post#600 » by Dominator83 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm

That's what this league needs.... Two more lottery/tanking teams.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !

Return to The General Board