NBA Expansion

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 273

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,015

Re: NBA Expansion (Update pg. 22 - second city will be Las Vegas or Vancouver) 

Post#602 » by LakerLegend » Tue May 23, 2023 5:14 am

With the Oakland A's likely relocating to Vegas, will the NBA still want to enter such a crowded market?
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#603 » by Spens1 » Tue May 23, 2023 9:46 am

Why is not going back to Vancouver not an option? Move the Pels or Memphis (cause they're not fine) to the east.

Sent from my CPH1877 using RealGM mobile app
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#604 » by jefe » Tue May 23, 2023 11:17 am

Spens1 wrote:Why is not going back to Vancouver not an option? Move the Pels or Memphis (cause they're not fine) to the east.

Nah, move the Lakers. It's been a nice run, but Bron is retiring and they just got swept. Time for a fresh start.
maxpower8888
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,411

Post#605 » by maxpower8888 » Tue May 23, 2023 1:07 pm

Seattle should get a team, Las Vegas should get a franchise, and the Grizzlies should move to Vancouver. Then the Timberwolves can be moved to the East.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Post#606 » by Jkam31 » Tue May 23, 2023 2:02 pm

Spens1 wrote:Why is not going back to Vancouver not an option? Move the Pels or Memphis (cause they're not fine) to the east.

Mexico City is above Vancouver is you wanna be honest
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#607 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:47 am

Silver says NBA will look at expansion after the next TV rights package is negotiated, which starts next spring.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Post#608 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:25 am

LakerLegend wrote:Silver says NBA will look at expansion after the next TV rights package is negotiated, which starts next spring.

I'm hearing the Fall of 2024 is when the TV rights deal could be concluded. An announcement (expansion) won't come prior to that.

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,646

Re: NBA Expansion (Silver: NBA will look at expansion after TV rights negotiated) 

Post#609 » by NCHeels2008 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:46 am

I'd like to see them add 4 teams, staggered 2 at a time.

Las Vegas and Seattle in the first tranche

Vancouver and KC in the second.

If people only want the number of teams to coincide with superstars we would have an 8-team league. That wouldn't be nearly as fun as it sounds and we would miss out on stuff like this Heat run, the 11 Mavs, the 04 Pistons and I'm sure I could name more. The talent base at the 4th starter-8th man level has never been better. Its sad to hear so many fans espousing scarcity mindset. The place to contract is the amount of games to give more teams rest and make each game mean a little more.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Re: NBA Expansion (Silver: NBA will look at expansion after TV rights negotiated) 

Post#610 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:40 am

NCHeels2008 wrote:I'd like to see them add 4 teams, staggered 2 at a time.

If people only want the number of teams to coincide with superstars we would have an 8-team league. That wouldn't be nearly as fun as it sounds and we would miss out on stuff like this Heat run, the 11 Mavs, the 04 Pistons and I'm sure I could name more. The talent base at the 4th starter-8th man level has never been better. Its sad to hear so many fans espousing scarcity mindset. The place to contract is the amount of games to give more teams rest and make each game mean a little more.

They won't go beyond 32 teams, that seems to be the magic number all of the big leagues want to get to and stay at.

With the Vegas already having the Raiders, Golden Knights, and soon the A's I really hope the NBA bypasses Vegas for Vancouver.
Ray Donovan
Junior
And1: 156

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#611 » by Ray Donovan » Mon Jun 5, 2023 7:54 am

SkyHookFTW wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Kansas City or St Louis, leaning toward St Louis (because no NFL, NBA can become the main thing along with baseball).

Like SoCal needs any more teams.

In St. Louis, the Cardinals are king, and if the NFL couldn't survive in St. Louis, I doubt the NBA will...which is weird since the NHL is still there.
...............St Louis could really use some African/American ownership or Foreign ownership to get past some the issues(real or not real)the StLouis area has to deal with. Would Love to have NBA in StLouis again. Not having one makes St Louis seem like a 2nd rate city & I know it's not. From what I can tell the city & county Leaders don't work together to try to get NBA squad
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,681

Post#612 » by Jkam31 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 8:18 am

LakerLegend wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:I'd like to see them add 4 teams, staggered 2 at a time.

They won't go beyond 32 teams, that seems to be the magic number all of the big leagues want to get to and stay at.

With the Vegas already having the Raiders, Golden Knights, and soon the A's I really hope the NBA bypasses Vegas for Vancouver.

Mexico > Vancouver

Stars won’t make so much from endorsements playing in Mexico City if they look into it
Roseability
Junior
And1: 115

Post#613 » by Roseability » Mon Jun 5, 2023 9:23 am

4 more international teams. Mexico City, London, Tokyo, Seoul.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#614 » by JayMKE » Mon Jun 5, 2023 9:24 am

Seattle is obvious but the the NBA needs good ownership groups probably more than whatever the strongest media markets that are left so it depends on who puts a the best bid. Vegas, KC, Louisville, Cinci, St Louis, Virginia Beach, Vancouver, Montreal.
FREE GIANNIS
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Post#615 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 5, 2023 3:50 pm

JayMKE wrote:Seattle is obvious, but the NBA needs good ownership groups, probably more than whatever the strongest media markets are left, so it depends on who puts the best bid. Vegas, KC, Louisville, Cinci, St Louis, Virginia Beach, Vancouver, Montreal.

Seattle has the NHL group (Kraken), led by Tod Leiweke. Meanwhile, Fenway Sports Group has been connected to Vegas. Two very strong groups. There is no shortage of suitors in either city.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,169

Post#616 » by Stannis » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:27 pm

I don't know but... I would like to add another team in the west and maybe move Grizzlies to Nashville and the East.

Nashville is too big of a market to not have a team, sorry Memphis. But this will be best for the NBA.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,169

Post#617 » by Stannis » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:29 pm

I would like to also see Montreal over Vancouver, just so we can give the cRaptors a rival.
Free Palestine
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,813

Post#618 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:38 pm

Vegas could easily sign James Harden for the minimum, that’s for sure.
Go Raps!!
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,912

Post#619 » by Dick Tate » Tue Jun 6, 2023 10:55 pm

The Blazers lease expires in 2025 and Jody Allen hasn't put the team up for sale yet... maybe she's waiting this sitch out.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#620 » by twyzted » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Seattle is obvious, but the NBA needs good ownership groups, probably more than whatever the strongest media markets are left, so it depends on who puts the best bid. Vegas, KC, Louisville, Cinci, St Louis, Virginia Beach, Vancouver, Montreal.

Seattle has the NHL group (Kraken), led by Tod Leiweke. Meanwhile, Fenway Sports Group has been connected to Vegas. Two very strong groups. There is no shortage of suitors in either city.

Pls let fsg get a team :pray: so they sell Liverpool
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.

Return to The General Board