NBA Expansion

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where should the league expand with Seattle?

Kansas City
7%
Vancouver
33%
Louisville
3%
Montreal
10%
Las Vegas
39%
Other
8%

Total votes: 273

TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,815

Re: NBA Expansion (Silver: NBA will look at expansion after TV rights negotiated) 

Post#621 » by TheGOATWill » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:02 am

Silver isn't breaking any news. Before owners would even consider turning their 1/30th slices into 1/32nd slices they want to know how big the pie is.

In the event there is expansion, Vegas is a lock. Based on the last 2-3 team sales, the buy in for an expansion club will be off the charts. Probably north of 4 billion just factoring in the expansion fee and startup costs. According to Forbes, Vegas is growing economically at a rate rarely seen in the history of this country with no signs of slowing down in the next 10 years or so. Given what we know about investors and investments they'll no doubt see Vegas as the best place guarantee swift returns

Continuing the projection, Lebron is part of the winning bid with a minor stake and becomes majority shareholder some time in his mid 50s.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,493

Re: NBA Expansion (Silver: NBA will look at expansion after TV rights negotiated) 

Post#622 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jun 7, 2023 12:06 am

Dick Tate wrote:The Blazers lease expires in 2025 and Jody Allen hasn't put the team up for sale yet... maybe she's waiting this sitch out.

Why would she sell prior to the upcoming negotiations for the media rights? The longer she waits this out, the more she would make on a sale.

The Hawks can't be sold until next year at the earliest. As part of the agreement with the city.

There really is no incentive for her to put either team up for sale in the meantime.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,358

Post#624 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:41 pm

TheGOATWill wrote:Silver isn't breaking any news. Before owners would even consider turning their 1/30th slices into 1/32nd slices they want to know how big the pie is.

In the event there is expansion, Vegas is a lock. Based on the last 2-3 team sales, the buy in for an expansion club will be off the charts. Probably north of 4 billion just factoring in the expansion fee and startup costs. According to Forbes, Vegas is growing economically at a rate rarely seen in the history of this country with no signs of slowing down in the next 10 years or so. Given what we know about investors and investments they'll no doubt see Vegas as the best place guarantee swift returns

Continuing the projection, Lebron is part of the winning bid with a minor stake and becomes majority shareholder some time in his mid 50s.

Not so sure. I mean if they are looking to expand in the us then it seems high up but given that tv markets are what drives things Silver may be looking towards some day having an entire division in Europe. Seattle and LV are the two most likely us markets.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,016

Post#625 » by LakerLegend » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:04 am

It seems fairly settled that Seattle and Las Vegas will be the two teams.

What should the Vegas team be named?
LakerLegend
RealGM

Re: NBA Expansion 

Post#626 » by LakerLegend » Fri Nov 3, 2023 7:48 pm

I think this is the best divisional alignment when expansion happens. Moving Minnesota to the West results in the West having a wacky alignment in a division:

LA Lakers
LA Clippers
Sacramento
Golden State

Seattle
Portland
Utah
Denver

Phoenix
Las Vegas
Minnesota
Memphis

Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
OKC

Toronto
Milwaukee
Chicago
Detroit

Cleveland
Indiana
New Orleans
Washington

New York
Brooklyn
Phialdelphia
Boston

Miami
Orlando
Charlotte
Atlanta
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,478

Post#627 » by Chinook » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:10 pm

That's the weirdest attempt at realignment I've seen in quite some time.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#628 » by shrink » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:17 pm

LakerLegend wrote:I think this is the best divisional alignment when expansion happens. Moving Minnesota to the West results in the West having a wacky alignment in a division:

Phoenix
Las Vegas
Minnesota
Memphis

Even in the current set up, each year Minnesota often logs the most travel miles of any team. You would think it should be a team on the West Coast each year (probably POR), but MIN gets penalized because of the Division set up. They play nearby MIL, CHI, DET or IND four times a year, and instead, their closest rival in the conference is probably DEN or OKC, and UTA and POR are even farther. This set up forces them to fly even farther, eliminating probably ten closer cities from division play.

If the NBA value reducing overall team travel miles and creating local rivalries, MIN should probably play in a Great Lakes division. But personally, I think simply having two conferences and getting rid of divisions is just fine. Or four conferences with eight teams - I don’t think they need to be divided any further than that.
shrink
RealGM

Post#629 » by shrink » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:29 pm

Btw, I see that you’re the OP, starting this thread back in 2017. At this point, Seattle and Las Vegas are virtual locks for the two new teams. Maybe you’d like to create a new poll in that first post?
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#630 » by LakerLegend » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:52 pm

Chinook wrote:That's the weirdest attempt at realignment I've seen in quite some time.

Show me yours.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#631 » by LakerLegend » Fri Nov 3, 2023 8:52 pm

shrink wrote:Btw, I see that you’re the OP, starting this thread back in 2017. At this point, Seattle and Las Vegas are virtual locks for the two new teams. Maybe you’d like to create a new poll in that first post?

What's left to poll?
shrink
RealGM

Post#632 » by shrink » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:05 pm

LakerLegend wrote:
shrink wrote:Btw, I see that you’re the OP, starting this thread back in 2017. At this point, Seattle and Las Vegas are virtual locks for the two new teams. Maybe you’d like to create a new poll in that first post?

What's left to poll?

The most common question is, “If SEA and LAS are added, which team gets shifted to the East?”
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,513

Post#633 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Nov 3, 2023 9:07 pm

San Fernando Valley needs a team
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,507

Post#634 » by JRoy » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:26 pm

Seattle
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,266

Post#635 » by John Murdoch » Fri Nov 3, 2023 10:44 pm

Alaska Polar Bears lfg
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#636 » by Chinook » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:07 am

LakerLegend wrote:
Chinook wrote:That's the weirdest attempt at realignment I've seen in quite some time.

Show me yours.

East A -- Boston, Toronto, New York, Brooklyn
East B -- Philadelphia, Indiana, Cleveland, Washington
East C -- Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando Miami
East D -- Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit
West A -- Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, SF
West B -- LAC, LAL, Phoenix, Las Vegas
West C -- Utah, Denver, OKC, Dallas
West D -- Memphis, Houston, New Orleans, SA

You can switch a couple of teams here or there, but this avoids those wonky divisions where teams aren't with clubs right by them in order to be with others half-way across the country. It's not ideal -- frankly it's a bad idea to put more teams out west given the reality of population dynamics in the near future -- but it works.
LakerLegend
RealGM

Post#637 » by LakerLegend » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:13 am

Chinook wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

Show me yours.

You can switch a couple of teams here or there, but this avoids those wonky divisions where teams aren't with clubs right by them in order to be with others half-way across the country. It's not ideal -- frankly it's a bad idea to put more teams out west given the reality of population dynamics in the near future -- but it works.

Mine is based on keeping the California and Texas teams together.

I also tried splitting the CA teams between North and South but that didn't work.
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#638 » by Chinook » Sat Nov 4, 2023 12:33 am

LakerLegend wrote:
Chinook wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
Show me yours.

Mine is based on keeping the California and Texas teams together.

I also tried splitting the CA teams between North and South but that didn't work.

There's no need to keep those teams together. Splitting the teams works just fine.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,711

Post#639 » by One_and_Done » Sat Nov 4, 2023 3:38 am

Seattle isn't even my top choice, they had their chance to keep their team. That said, I'm broadly in favour of more teams. Let's add 4 more. Despite what ppl will say, there's more than enough talent. Mexico next. I'd love to see Vancouver, Seattle and Kentucky too. Vegaa is fine also. Plus let's add an extra team in NY and LA. There's more than enough money to support it.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,332

Post#640 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Nov 4, 2023 2:40 pm

What's the argument for Minnesota moving to the east over Memphis?

Return to The General Board