2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,014

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 3-0) 

Post#1261 » by azcatz11 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:53 pm

damanick10 wrote:I'm all for team unity but these team interviews from OKC are getting cringe as hell.

For real
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,772

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1262 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
That makes Mavs only more dangerous not less. ;)

My point exactly.

Against an old, unathletic Clippers team sure.. but against OKC which is far more athletic, can run you out of the gym and has a rim protector like Chet, I just don’t see guys like Lively getting 7 dunks in a game on putbacks.

It's gonna be fun! If Dallas beats LAC, ofc.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,596

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 2-0) 

Post#1263 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
That makes Mavs only more dangerous not less. ;)

My point exactly.

Against an old, unathletic Clippers team sure.. but against OKC which is far more athletic, can run you out of the gym and has a rim protector like Chet, I just don’t see guys like Lively getting 7 dunks in a game on putbacks.

Did you watch only game between Mavs and OKC in which Mavs both teams were playing with full roster? I understand, if you don't want to remember it. ;)

Edit: Lively was out.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,926

Post#1264 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
The biggest edge OKC has is that one of the two best teams will be eliminated in Round 2. (HCA is the second biggest.)

I agree OKC can in theory win the West, but I think MIN is so much better than them that I think MIN is more likely to win the West, even facing Denver in Round 2.

As Round 1 got underway, I settled on the idea that there are only three good bets to win it all: DEN, BOS, and MIN.

If we played the Playoffs 1,000 times, yes, OKC would win a title, but I think there are only three teams that make up like 98% of the probability pie.

What makes Minny better in your opinion? Because both are top 5 on both ends. I just think the top end of OKC are far superior, especially as two way players. Gobert is elite defensively, but isn’t an offensive threat. Towns is an offensive threat but shrinks in big moments and isn’t a good defender. Edwards is still inefficient as a scorer a lot of the time and isn’t a great defender.

SGA, Chet and Williams are all 3 what I’d classify as 2 way players. Dort is gonna **** Edwards up. Probably hold him to 30% shooting in a series.

Well, for starters, I disagree that Gobert isn't an offensive threat; I disagree that Towns will shrink in big moments (I believe I've seen a change in him as a person this season); I disagree that Towns isn't a good defender (again, this 2024); and I disagree that Edwards isn't a good defender. The only point I agree with on those three players (other than Gobert being good defensively) is that Edwards is sometimes inefficient. But, to answer your question more generally, I have so much faith in MIN's defense, that every efficient game from Edwards is almost a lock as a win. If he gives you two, three, or four efficient games, that's one heck of a head start in a series. And that's only one of the ways MIN can win.

Good as OKC is, I think the physicality and/or veteran presence of MIN would separate the two teams in a series. Maybe we'll find out!

There is objectivity to some of these statements. It’s not a matter of opinion to say Gobert is an offensive threat, it’s a flat out lie. You cannot give him the ball and run the offense through him or generate reliable scoring.

He’s literally not an offensive threat compared to other players on the floor. It doesn’t mean he can’t randomly drop 17 or something, but you cannot run the offense through him in the playoffs.

Team’s aren’t game planning for him whatsoever on defense. Towns has never won at a high level, and never made a deep playoff run. This is the first year he has great impact in the playoffs. The other 3 years he was literally a negative in most metrics.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,741

Post#1265 » by Patches Perry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:This was the game I thought Pelicans would get, but with Giddey and Dort going 8-14 from three, nobody will beat OKC.

Pelicans are scoring 80 because Giddey and Dort are hot for 3?

If not for Dort/Giddey hot shooting, OKC would have been in the 80s too.

NOP scored 92 in game 1 and had a shot to win at the buzzer. Pelicans offensive potential is limited but they can win a low scoring game, but as I said, not if Dort/Giddey shoot like this.
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,531

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 3-0) 

Post#1266 » by Wargreymon » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

So many premature takes after Game 1 win by 2 points saying the Thunder weren't ready or legit. Now they up 3-0. Looks to me that they are more than ready to challenge Denver.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,116

Post#1267 » by G R E Y » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 pm

Galveston lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1268 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 pm

It feels like we've had like three out of twenty playoff games decided by less than ten points.

The LAL-DEN series doesn't count, because a 2 point win might as well be a 2,000 point win in that one.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1270 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
What makes Minny better in your opinion? Because both are top 5 on both ends. I just think the top end of OKC are far superior, especially as two way players. Gobert is elite defensively, but isn’t an offensive threat. Towns is an offensive threat but shrinks in big moments and isn’t a good defender. Edwards is still inefficient as a scorer a lot of the time and isn’t a great defender.

SGA, Chet and Williams are all 3 what I’d classify as 2 way players. Dort is gonna **** Edwards up. Probably hold him to 30% shooting in a series.

Well, for starters, I disagree that Gobert isn't an offensive threat; I disagree that Towns will shrink in big moments (I believe I've seen a change in him as a person this season); I disagree that Towns isn't a good defender (again, this 2024); and I disagree that Edwards isn't a good defender. The only point I agree with on those three players (other than Gobert being good defensively) is that Edwards is sometimes inefficient. But, to answer your question more generally, I have so much faith in MIN's defense, that every efficient game from Edwards is almost a lock as a win. If he gives you two, three, or four efficient games, that's one heck of a head start in a series. And that's only one of the ways MIN can win.

Good as OKC is, I think the physicality and/or veteran presence of MIN would separate the two teams in a series. Maybe we'll find out!

There is objectivity to some of these statements. It’s not a matter of opinion to say Gobert is an offensive threat, it’s a flat out lie. You cannot give him the ball and run the offense through him or generate reliable scoring.

He’s literally not an offensive threat compared to other players on the floor. It doesn’t mean he can’t randomly drop 17 or something, but you cannot run the offense through him in the playoffs.

Team’s aren’t game planning for him whatsoever on defense. Towns has never won at a high level, and never made a deep playoff run. This is the first year he has great impact in the playoffs. The other 3 years he was literally a negative in most metrics.

Whoa, I said threat. Because you did. I didn't say engine. Lu Dort is an offensive threat. So is Rudy Gobert.
Patches Perry
RealGM

Post#1271 » by Patches Perry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

Love that the OKC guys cut the TNT interview short to go to the local interview Nick Gallo. National audience hates their post-game comradery anyways so **** 'em!
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,926

Post#1272 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

Whoa, I said threat. Because you did. I didn't say engine. Lu Dort is an offensive threat. So is Rudy Gobert.

Maybe it’s a different definition. They can randomly drop 15-20. Dort more so than Gobert. But teams don’t scout or game plan for it, and don’t care whatsoever if they score. They are both 4th or 5th option guys on a contender.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,343

Post#1273 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Taking the CJ under 21.5 points was easy money.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,332

Post#1274 » by sfernald » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Man, as a Piston fan I'm salivating at all these teams losing in the first round. All of them have a player that would fit beautifully with Cade.

Sucks Zion can't play.

If you guys trade all your picks and young players I think you could manage a Cade, Beal & Ingram super team!
Patches Perry
RealGM

Post#1275 » by Patches Perry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Bob8 wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
My point exactly.

Did you watch only game between Mavs and OKC in which Mavs both teams were playing with full roster? I understand, if you don't want to remember it. ;)

I would hope these of all playoffs would put to bed the importance of the regular season matchups.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1276 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 pm

Wargreymon wrote:So many premature takes after Game 1 win by 2 points saying the Thunder weren't ready or legit. Now they up 3-0. Looks to me that they are more than ready to challenge Denver.

You're saying that takes after first game was premature and takes after 2 convincing wins against pretty bad Pelicans about OKC already being in WCF isn't a little premature?
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,332

Post#1277 » by sfernald » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 pm

picc wrote:Really wish Sac won thag play in game. Feel like we’d have a much more entertaining series.

But lest we forget the sad Sacs couldn’t even beat this miserable Pelicans team.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#1278 » by scrabbarista » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Maybe it’s a different definition. They can randomly drop 15-20. Dort more so than Gobert. But teams don’t scout or game plan for it, and don’t care whatsoever if they score. They are both 4th or 5th option guys on a contender.

Fourth and fifth options frequently swing series. Both guys could do that with their offensive contributions.

I'll agree to disagree about teams "not caring whatsoever if they score."

As to "Dort moreso than Gobert," Gobert did average 20 pp100 on 66% TS% this year, while Dort was at 18 pp100 on 59% TS%.

But this is all minutiae...
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1279 » by Bob8 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 pm

Patches Perry wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

I would hope these of all playoffs would put to bed the importance of the regular season matchups.

I would hope that people should watch other teams too, before making big conclusions about their team. Mavs winning playoffs games with D is a lot more important than winning it by Luka's or Kyrie's heroics.
Patches Perry
RealGM

Post#1280 » by Patches Perry » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I would hope that people should watch other teams too, before making big conclusions about their team.

Absolutely, I've watched quite a bit outside of OKC this season.

Return to The General Board