NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,098

NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#1 » by Shock Defeat » Thu May 9, 2024 4:00 pm

Thought it was new thread worthy since it's a substantial update. .

Per wiretap
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275651/NBC-Closing-In-On-NBA-Package-At-$25B-Per-Year-Unless-TNT-Increases-Offer-To-$28B

Tldr is Silver thinks NBC can offer "more" than TNT with an over-the-air network and regional sports, and TNT would have to pay more than what NBC is bidding in order to "match".

Silver is trying to leave TNT and join NBC. I am excited for the return of roundball rock and hopefully NBC can turn basketball games into an epic event like they are able to do with SNF and the old NBA on NBC. It sucks to see Inside go but all good things come to an end.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Re: NBA on verge of leaving TNT, signing with NBC 

Post#2 » by Wigginstime » Thu May 9, 2024 4:04 pm

Charles Barkley basically confirmed this and stated he has an opt out clause in his TNT contract in the event TNT loses TV rights and has already had conversations with NBC and would go to NBC in the event this happen.

At the very least I would expect Barkley to go to NBC. Would be interesting to see if NBC would sign Shaq, EJ, or Kenny.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,126

Post#3 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 9, 2024 4:04 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:Thought it was new thread worthy since it's a substantial update. .

Per wiretap
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275651/NBC-Closing-In-On-NBA-Package-At-$25B-Per-Year-Unless-TNT-Increases-Offer-To-$28B

Tldr is Silver thinks NBC can offer "more" than TNT with an over-the-air network and regional sports, and TNT would have to pay more than what NBC is bidding in order to "match".

Silver is trying to leave TNT and join NBC. I am excited for the return of roundball rock and hopefully NBC can turn basketball games into an epic event like they are able to do with SNF and the old NBA on NBC. It sucks to see Inside go but all good things come to an end.

over the air is better but if I had my way it would be turner/NBC. ESPN sucks and getting sports off ESPN is always good.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,849

Post#4 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 4:05 pm

Bittersweet NBC was great in the 90's. That theme music was my childhood.

I hate that TNT is over. Those dudes are the best thing on tv. We will never laugh at sports without that group together.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,126

Post#5 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 9, 2024 4:06 pm

Wigginstime wrote:Charles Barkley basically confirmed this and stated he has an opt out clause in his TNT contract in the event TNT loses TV rights and has already had conversations with NBC and would go to NBC in the event this happen.

At the very least I would expect Barkley to go to NBC. Would be interesting to see if NBC would sign Shaq, EJ, or Kenny.

It is fairly normal when networks lose sports the broadcasters go. Al Michaels was actually traded to NBC when NBC got football back.
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,568

Post#6 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu May 9, 2024 4:06 pm

A few things -

ESPN is absolute hot garbage.

Their presentation and their personnel is awful. I hate watching games on their network.

Should have replaced ESPN with NBC and kept TNT, who does a great job with their coverage.

I still hope the Inside guys can reunite on Amazon or NBC if this indeed happens. We can't lose Inside in this fashion. We need them back.
Thank you, Rick Brunson.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,967

Post#7 » by Quattro » Thu May 9, 2024 4:09 pm

Get ready to watch games on Peacock
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,676

Post#8 » by Meeksology » Thu May 9, 2024 4:18 pm

End of an era if Inside the NBA isnt brought back. Silver needs to add a clause in the new contract, that if we, the NBA, decide to go with NBC, that the Inside the NBA crew is brought on and still have their show as is.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,397

Post#9 » by Onus » Thu May 9, 2024 4:20 pm

Too bad ESPN isn't being replaced
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Post#10 » by Effigy » Thu May 9, 2024 4:21 pm

Man, really sad if that is what happens. Though if it leads to more games on over the air cable, that's a good thing IMO.

Also curious to see what the new lineup would be. Would they just bring over Kenny and Shaq with Charles? Or use this opportunity to bring in someone new? Ernie for sure would be replaced. I don't think he has an out in his deal and he does other sports.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,656

Post#11 » by dc » Thu May 9, 2024 4:21 pm

John Tesh theme gotta be making a comeback, right?
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,279

Post#12 » by NYPiston » Thu May 9, 2024 4:24 pm

It should be ESPN moving back to NBC. Leaving TNT is a travesty, it's hard to imagine Inside the NBA not existing anymore.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,105

Post#13 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:24 pm

End of an era, and this is bad. No one will ever be able to capture what TNT has with Inside the NBA. You'll never see a studio show like it again. And something I bet a lot of people don't know: TNT broadcasting NBA games predates the NBA on NBC.

And literally the only connection between NBA on NBC/Peacock when it starts and the NBA on NBC of decades ago is Roundball Rock. And you can listen to it on Youtube or Spotify right now if you want. Nostalgia is nice, but sustained high-quality and entertaining NBA coverage is a lot better.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,475

Post#14 » by azcatz11 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:24 pm

Why do people care about the stupid NBA song? You would rather have that over Inside the NBA? Dumbest thing I've ever heard
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,520

Post#15 » by Wigginstime » Thu May 9, 2024 4:25 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:A few things -

Their presentation and their personnel is awful. I hate watching games on their network.

Should have replaced ESPN with NBC and kept TNT, who does a great job with their coverage.

I still hope the Inside guys can reunite on Amazon or NBC if this indeed happens. We can't lose Inside in this fashion. We need them back.

The problem is ESPN is owned by Disney who has the largest check book. As long as Disney is king of the media world, no one will ever out bid them.

It is interesting for Silver to basically state that the leagues prefers NBC over TNT and would take a lower offer from NBC ($2.5B) over TNT0 ($2.7B). Not sure if he is simply trying to drive up TNTs bid, but this seems like a great way to alienate a long time partner.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#16 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 9, 2024 4:26 pm

Wigginstime wrote:Charles Barkley basically confirmed this and stated he has an opt out clause in his TNT contract in the event TNT loses TV rights and has already had conversations with NBC and would go to NBC in the event this happen.

Chucky does the play by play? I can't stand his voice from those Subway commercials.

Good riddance cause I never pay that overpriced subscription to use a dated crappy platform TNT stream on but rather get the best play by play from the guys at the Sports Fury on YouTube. Josh, Shawn and Rocha rulez!

https://youtube.com/shorts/LkiyXv2Y4ZU?si=rDlW8mAsQ3b4XX5j

https://youtube.com/shorts/F8VLpIXCNIk?si=n3WlyXEhmrAE0DXN

I do have a Peacock subscription, so yeppeeeeew!!!!
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,399

Post#17 » by HotRocks34 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:33 pm

Please do it.

No more Kenny and Shaq would be amazing.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,704

Post#18 » by shtolky » Thu May 9, 2024 4:34 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Why do people care about the stupid NBA song? You would rather have that over Inside the NBA? Dumbest thing I've ever heard

It’s not just the song. NBC’s coverage and presentation of the NBA is probably the best it’s ever been. Sure, that was years ago, but if they can capture 90% of what made the NBA on NBC so special, it’s going to be great. Losing Inside would suck but who knows, maybe NBC can bring them over.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,967

Post#19 » by Anticon » Thu May 9, 2024 4:37 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:A few things -

What I've never gotten is how ESPN just consistently produces unwatchable game coverage. Just cartoonish and over the top no matter who is involved.
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#20 » by advent11 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:39 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Why do people care about the stupid NBA song? You would rather have that over Inside the NBA? Dumbest thing I've ever heard

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Return to The General Board