Josh Giddey and OKC’s first real mistake

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,794

Josh Giddey and OKC’s first real mistake 

Post#1 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 10, 2024 4:31 am

He’s so so so bad. -27 in 28 minutes this series.

The Thunder and Presti have been incredibly impressive, getting the one seed and assembling one of the greatest warchests of picks ever. They undoubtedly have one of the best futures in the 2020s, almost every other franchise would want to be in their position. However…

Giddey is their biggest mistake in this new era. They held onto him for too long, and now he’s being exposed for what he is - a clear negative in a playoff setting. His lack of shooting murders their 5-out concept and his spacing allows Dallas to play Lively or Gafford in the paint without fear of being burnt. He also demands to be the primary ball handler and plays poor defense. I understand he had some good stretches vs New Orleans but this guy is not it. They can’t keep him here.

OKC got too cute at the deadline imo and failed to seize the opportunity. Washed Gordon Hayward was not moving any needle, any of my Hornets fans could’ve told you that. Giddey and picks could’ve gotten you Anunoby, for example.. they also easily had the picks to get Gafford or Washington who would’ve provided crucial help in areas of need.

Instead they kept Giddey, and if they lose this series, not shopping him aggressively enough will be their downfall.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,592

Re: Josh Giddey and OKC’s first real mistake 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:33 am

Hayward trade cleared close to a max slot this summer. Presti doesn’t make in season trades. I’d expect action this draft/offseason including Josh getting moved.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,966

Post#3 » by Memories » Fri May 10, 2024 4:36 am

He's also a pedophile so I except he will get moved after this post season.

He's certainly not worth keeping with his controversy due to his lack of actual talent.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 530

Post#4 » by DrModesty » Fri May 10, 2024 4:37 am

He is a flawed 21 year old who gets pulled when not playing well, but has still had multiple games where he contributed to playoff wins. I think OKC is right to have stuck with him in to (only) year 3 of his career.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,725

Post#5 » by Meat » Fri May 10, 2024 4:39 am

Memories wrote:He's also a pedophile so I except he will get moved after this post season.

He's certainly not worth keeping with his controversy due to his lack of actual talent.

maybe he knows this and will use it to really take his game to the next level, lets use his pedophile paranoia against him
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,830

Post#6 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 4:42 am

He's clearly waiting for the minors of OKC to mature and grow up so they can take his spot when they become legal enough to start.
penggemar
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#7 » by penggemar » Fri May 10, 2024 4:43 am

Even Killian Hayes is better than Giddey, at least Hayes defense is good.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,672

Post#8 » by AussieCeltic » Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 am

JustBuzzin wrote:He's clearly waiting for the minors of OKC to mature and grow up so they can take his spot when they become legal enough to start.

What a **** post.

Giddey is a good player but he needs the ball to be effective. Limiting him as the 4th option isn’t best for him even though it’s best for OKC.

We saw how he played with no SGA in the lineup. He also had a massive game in the play in last season vs the Pelicans where he looked like the best player on the court with SGA and Ingram.

I agree he needs to be traded, but he’s not a sunk cost by any means.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#9 » by cgf » Fri May 10, 2024 4:49 am

JustBuzzin wrote:He's clearly waiting for the minors of OKC to mature and grow up so they can take his spot when they become legal enough to start.

Shouldn't Giggity be playing his best now, before they mature out of his age range?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,279

Post#10 » by BadWolf » Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 am

He was great in round one, and looked ok in his minutes in game 1, even though production was weak.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,830

Post#11 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 am

cgf wrote:

Shouldn't Giggity be playing his best now, before they mature out of his age range?

You have a point there.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,623

Post#12 » by mademan » Fri May 10, 2024 4:51 am

cgf wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,087

Post#13 » by Wingy » Fri May 10, 2024 4:52 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Hayward trade cleared close to a max slot this summer. Presti doesn’t make in season trades. I’d expect action this draft/offseason including Josh getting moved.

I was a huge proponent of OKC making a major, non-stupid (e.g. - Suns) move to bolster this team’s title chances. My premise being - you just never know what will happen.

Losing game 2 at home to a very good, but not great Mavs with a hobbled Luka doesn’t bode well for this playoff run as the competition only gets stronger. They are so close right now, I’m not sure it made sense to wait.

Presti has plenty of ammo to make a big move this offseason as you mention.

Will it be more quality depth and size? Or will he swing for the moon and land a huge name. Giddey to bring back PG13? Wonder if he’d go for Lebron? (I def wouldn’t)
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,421

Post#14 » by Black Jack » Fri May 10, 2024 4:55 am

Memories wrote:He's also a pedophile so I except he will get moved after this post season.

Countdown to Kendrick Lamar dissing Kiddey 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,251

Post#15 » by Zeno » Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 am

I think he ends up on the Suns. Nurk, 2031 1st for Giddy, maybe one of their 2024 1sts. Something like that. OKC gets another lottery ticket and eats salary for a big man of situational value.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,402

Post#16 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 am

I honestly don't think Giddey has much of an NBA future as a starter. What "good" team would put the ball in his hands and say go be our primary ballhandler/playmaker? If he was passable as a defender I might feel differently, but Jason Kidd/Ricky Rubio/Rajon Rondo, he is not.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#17 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 am

He was really good in the Pels series. It’s crazy how quickly fans flip flop
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,672

Post#18 » by AussieCeltic » Fri May 10, 2024 5:01 am

Chuck Everett wrote:I honestly don't think Giddey has much of an NBA future as a starter. What "good" team would put the ball in his hands and say go be our primary ballhandler/playmaker? If he was passable as a defender I might feel differently, but Jason Kidd/Ricky Rubio/Rajon Rondo, he is not.

Lots of teams.

When SGA was out at the end of the season he had a 5 game stretch of 23/9/6 on 64% shooting.

Obviously small sample size but we’ve seen he’s a very effective player when he’s got the ball in his hands
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#19 » by Upperclass » Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 am

His offcourt situation took away his confidence and that coincided with Shai separating himself even more on the ball and Jalen W. stepping up. He would be productive if they put the ball in his hand.. But really no reason to do that vs Dallas.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,191

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 10, 2024 5:19 am

People calling him bad are simply asinine. He is quite clearly doesn't fit, but clowns will proclaim a player, who already proved he has plenty of talent - bad. Few nights ago I have wrote about Petrovic and how a lot of NBA success is just about opportunity. But we have trash talkers not only write off players who maybe failed in the NBA, but also players who clearly didn't, but obviously put outside their element. Same experts I bet proclaimed Gobert trash last year, but now pretending they knew all along he was goat of some kind. Who are you even kidding...

Not even bother about calling a kid, who at 19, ALLEGEDLY slept with some 16 year old, a pedophile... Asinine thread. Maybe it was in fact a mistake on OKC part for not flipping him faster, as he simply doesnt fit as ball handler, but not because Giddey is very very bad...

Return to The General Board