the art of boxing out

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

the art of boxing out 

Post#1 » by ccvle » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:33 am

is it just my knicks or players rarely boxout anymore? It looks like everyone just rely on his "ups".
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,820

Post#2 » by RoyceDa59 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 am

The Raptors could use a lesson on boxing out.
Go Raps!!
corona
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 234

Post#3 » by corona » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 am

the only player on the nuggets who does it is nene, and he's considered a bad rebounder by the masses.

camby hasn't boxed out yet in his career.

:dontknow:
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Post#4 » by raps4life~ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:50 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:The Raptors could use a lesson on boxing out.

especially bargs.
Fatty
Head Coach
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Fatty » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:13 am

I have a huge butt, which I use to my advantage when boxing out at rec games, borderline sexual harressment
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#6 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 am

Fatty wrote:I have a huge butt, which I use to my advantage when boxing out at rec games, borderline sexual harressment

:rofl:
I debated making that my sig for a moment.
I've only seen 3 or 4 teams in recent years that consistently box out.
I'm in Kokokiko!
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:54 am

corona wrote:the only player on the nuggets who does it is nene, and he's considered a bad rebounder by the masses.

Najera does, he just gets shoved out of the way by whatever 250+lb center he happens to be guarding at that moment.
I'm in Kokokiko!
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#8 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 am

Yeah, Andris Biedrins shouldn't be grabbing 26 rebounds over the Knicks that easily. Imagine what Dwight Howard would do to them if the Knicks guarded him like they did Biedrins tonight.
David Robinson
Inactive user
Inactive user
Location: Mr. Robinson's neighborhood. MY SPURS > YOUR INFERIOR SQUAD !!

Post#9 » by David Robinson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:02 am

Using the Knicks as a barometer is a poor notion.

Their two main front court players are each an embarrassment to the legacy of the big man. Guys like Willis Redd and Moses Malone should kick the piss out of them.

Curry and Randolph are both fat, lazy, and have no business starting on any nba teams with the type of efforts they put forth.

Frustrating to even the causal fan.

--The great David Robinson
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#10 » by Rasheeed!!! » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:12 am

Dwight Howard doesn't really box-out either, but at this point in time it doesn't really matter because he can secure rebounds out of position.
astrallite
Starter
And1: 13

Post#11 » by astrallite » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:21 am

As others have said, it's not that easy to just always box out. Someone stronger than you is just going to shove you out from under the basket unless you flail like a pansy.

Or if the opponent next to you is really good at "swimming", then the guy with more hops wins aways. Also, boxing out often times does not help you secure the rebound (only stops your own man really).

Sometimes guys try to play invisible and then box out at the last second to avoid the sumo war, but end up being caught flat-footed sometimes.
superBlazerFan
Junior
And1: 32

Post#12 » by superBlazerFan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 am

corona wrote:the only player on the nuggets who does it is nene, and he's considered a bad rebounder by the masses.

its hard to box out when your trying to block every shot.. the guy cant be in 2 places at the same time
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:10 am

Rasheeed!!! wrote:Dwight Howard doesn't really box-out either, but at this point in time it doesn't really matter because he can secure rebounds out of position.

he's about as wide at the shoulders as two players anyway...
I'm in Kokokiko!
1eyedjake
General Manager
And1: 24

Post#14 » by 1eyedjake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 am

It IS a lost art. There's no stat for it so your agent can't use your boxing out skills in your next contract negotiations but it's a skill essential to great team rebounding.
Great teams are teams with coaches who get the whole team rebounding well. Phil Jackson has always been reasonably good with this, Gregg Popovich, too. Part of it is being able to convince your most talented players and then get the others to accept their roles and follow suit.
Despite not having a great rebounder outside Dwight Howard, Orlando's boxing out has improved a lot this year with SVG and I think that has a lot to do with Hedo picking up a lot more rebounds, although he is playing much more actively also. We are still a weak rebounding team overall though...
We've also seen much fewer of the 'bruiser' type of players who were around in the '90s who could box out half a team, and thus improve rebounding, but would struggle to keep up with opposing PFs on the fast break in this era.

Return to The General Board