The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoffs & Off-Season Thread -(NO PERSONAL ATTACKS & BAITING)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Re: The LeBron James- 23-24 NBA Playoff Thread -(NO BAITING) 

Post#81 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:22 pm

thebigbird wrote:20 years from now this will be lopsided in LeBron’s favor. It’s already almost 50/50 with Jordan.

We'll see how it goes.

New generations, long, accomplished and distinguished career. Major records broken/set. It's not an inappropriate thing to consider. Regardless of how the vote goes, I think Jordan will always be in the discussion. Same with Kareem. Same with Russell. In 50 years, we'll see where we're at. I mean, I'll probably be dead, so that's a generic "we," heh. But regardless, things do change over time. The game will also have changed. I wonder what the equivalent of "you need to win more than 7 games to win a title" will be for Lebron compared to the modern game that far along, right?
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#82 » by rk2023 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:34 pm

thebigbird wrote:20 years from now this will be lopsided in LeBron’s favor. It’s already almost 50/50 with Jordan.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=LoczziaTWuqlhvyvHGT92A

Wemby coming :wink:
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,777

Post#83 » by nzahir » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 pm

Guys it wasnt tanking on purpose lol

If we ended up getting bounced, how would that have felt? Embarassing, no?

Denver is the best team in the NBA imo, if we can beat them/be competitive, we know we at least have a good fondation to build off of

What if Denver gets an injury or two? You never know, better to be in it than not at all

Keys/notes for tonight:
Dlo and Reaves need to do more, especially Dlo.

Cant be going 1/9 for 3 when a majority were open or wide open shots. If he shoots 4/9, we may win the game. Probably do win it honestly

Need to start of well again to have some sort of buffer/cushion as Lebron could gas out again in Denver late

Need to get REBOUNDS!! They killed us on the glass. Some of this is due to them being big and us being down Vando and Wood, but some of it is effort and about pride

Ham also better not play AD and Hayes together when Jokic is out, that was a horrific idea. We started to lose our lead then

Hayes is a negative player, sadly no Wood unitl next game and lets even see how he looks
Ian Scuffling
Junior
And1: 400

Post#84 » by Ian Scuffling » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=LoczziaTWuqlhvyvHGT92A

The fact that Kobe is 3rd says just about everything. Jordan was arguably the GOAT as a player and then picked Kwame Brown number one overall. Just because you can play doesn't mean you're a good evaluator of talent.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Post#85 » by tsherkin » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:09 pm

Ian Scuffling wrote:The fact that Kobe is 3rd says just about everything. Jordan was arguably the GOAT as a player and then picked Kwame Brown number one overall. Just because you can play doesn't mean you're a good evaluator of talent.

It's a player poll. They're as vulnerable as anyone to nostalgia and other biases. Kobe has no business anywhere near the GOAT argument, but he was an immensely popular figure, and happened to also be a very good player at the same time. Closest thing to Mike since Mike, and the players loved his style. Many of the younger guys grew up watching him and held the same emotional connection to him as guys from my generation and before have to Jordan, so it's not a surprise. The fact that neither Russell nor Kareem (or Wilt) is on that list says everything which need be said about recency bias in that subject.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,548

Post#86 » by Greatness » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:09 pm

Lakers win tonight
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#87 » by rk2023 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 pm

Greatness wrote:Lakers win tonight

How so? I think considering everything about game 1, we have another uphill battle in store..
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#88 » by homecourtloss » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:03 pm

lessthanjake wrote:Personally, I’d go with Option #1 there (as great as Jokic is, I don’t think the talent of the Nuggets is enough to make them some unbeatable juggernaut, especially against very talented teams like the Lakers or any other Western Conference playoff team this year).

I see what you’re doing here (and in your previous post) :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Post#89 » by lessthanjake » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:48 pm

homecourtloss wrote:
lessthanjake wrote:Personally, I’d go with Option #1 there (as great as Jokic is, I don’t think the talent of the Nuggets is enough to make them some unbeatable juggernaut, especially against very talented teams like the Lakers or any other Western Conference playoff team this year).

Huh? What do you think I’m “doing here”? The Nuggets are not an unbeatable juggernaut (at least in my estimation) and the Lakers are a very talented team. Do you disagree with either of those assessments? And what do you think I’m “doing” by stating those views? Does it occur to you that people may actually just give their actual basketball views, rather than positioning their views on random things to support some sort of overarching agenda (which I assume is what you’re getting at here in some way I can’t quite discern)? (And is the fact that you seem to make such an assumption about others’ approach to discussion indicative of what your approach is?)
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,043

Post#90 » by thebigbird » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:59 pm

homecourtloss wrote:

The ole Skip Bayless ‘build em up so I can tear them down twice as much.’ Very transparent.
lessthanjake
Sixth Man
And1: 1,422

Post#91 » by lessthanjake » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 am

thebigbird wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

The ole Skip Bayless ‘build em up so I can tear them down twice as much.’ Very transparent.

I’m just genuinely perplexed by this kind of response. Do you think the Lakers aren’t a very talented team? They’re about to have one of their players be all-NBA second team this year and another be all-NBA third team. So they’ve got two all-NBA guys (and these are guys that are no stranger to all-NBA, not random selections where that overstates their talent). That by itself makes them a very talented team! Having two all-NBA guys on the same team isn’t common! And they have a lot of quality players outside of that too. Meanwhile, the same basic team made the WCF finals last year while being less healthy than they are now. Creating some kind of conspiracy theory about someone’s motivations because they called the Lakers very talented is just bizarre IMO.
OhayoKD wrote:Lebron contributes more to all the phases of play than Messi does. And he is of course a defensive anchor unlike messi.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#92 » by Heej » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am

lessthanjake wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

I’m just genuinely perplexed by this kind of response. Do you think the Lakers aren’t a very talented team? They’re about to have one of their players be all-NBA second team this year and another be all-NBA third team. So they’ve got two all-NBA guys (and these are guys that are no stranger to all-NBA, not random selections where that overstates their talent). That by itself makes them a very talented team! Having two all-NBA guys on the same team isn’t common! And they have a lot of quality players outside of that too. Meanwhile, the same basic team made the WCF finals last year while being less healthy than they are now. Creating some kind of conspiracy theory about someone’s motivations because they called the Lakers very talented is just bizarre IMO.

It's honestly too bad that a team isn't made of only 2 players. Unfortunately for the Lakers, reality dictates having around 8 rotation players for a finals run and around 3 or 4 quality coaches with tactical input managing games on the bench (with ideally one really good one calling set plays on most possessions depending on what defensive package is being employed)

Alas, this is why I say most casuals are really incapable of seeing basketball beyond reductive 1v1 comparisons. After coming to that realization I see this pattern more and more in online basketball discourse. Even in places with better understanding of the game like here.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,445

Post#93 » by GSP » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:06 am

tsherkin wrote:
Ian Scuffling wrote:The fact that Kobe is 3rd says just about everything. Jordan was arguably the GOAT as a player and then picked Kwame Brown number one overall. Just because you can play doesn't mean you're a good evaluator of talent.

It's a player poll. They're as vulnerable as anyone to nostalgia and other biases. Kobe has no business anywhere near the GOAT argument, but he was an immensely popular figure, and happened to also be a very good player at the same time. Closest thing to Mike since Mike, and the players loved his style. Many of the younger guys grew up watching him and held the same emotional connection to him as guys from my generation and before have to Jordan, so it's not a surprise. The fact that neither Russell nor Kareem (or Wilt) is on that list says everything which need be said about recency bias in that subject.

Average of an Nba player is 26yo so they wouldve been finishing up high school or in college during Kobes prime.........not surprising theyd pick him since the only Mj they were alive for was Wizards Mj. Theres also a narrative among alot of zoomer casuals that Kobe was Mj w/ a 3 ball lol
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Post#94 » by homecourtloss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:59 am

lessthanjake wrote:
thebigbird wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:

:lol: :lol:
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,915

Post#95 » by ronnymac2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:22 am

That was such a sick pass.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,445

Post#96 » by GSP » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 am

Bro Im getting dejavu. Is this game gonna end the same as all the others lol............
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,465

Post#97 » by dreamshake » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 am

GSP wrote:Bro Im getting dejavu. Is this game gonna end the same as all the others lol............

IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,976

Post#98 » by IG2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 am

homecourtloss wrote:

He's in literally every LeBron thread arguing against him. Ignore the troll.
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,468

Post#99 » by toodles23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 am

That was one of the best halves of ball I've seen AD play since the bubble. He's such a different player when his jumper is falling.

Oh, and what a **** layup by Lebron, I have no idea how that thing went in. This game feels ripe for the Lakers to lay an egg in the third, hope I'm wrong.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,855

Post#100 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:14 am

At his age and milage... Bron steps up to do the dirty work. Defense, rebounding, distributing... He has a fantastic mentality.

Say whatever you want but this is a factor in longevity, cause he's shown time and time again he can adapt and play any role for his team.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan

Return to Player Comparisons