Top 10
20%

Total votes: 92

Matt15
Assistant Coach
And1: 502

Where would Peak Wade rank today? 

Post#1 » by Matt15 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:30 am

Where would peak Wade rank in todays league?
WintaSoldier1
Junior
And1: 161

Re: Where would Peak Wade rank today? 

Post#2 » by WintaSoldier1 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:40 am

Matt15 wrote:Where would peak Wade rank in todays league?

Foil Baiting, Speedy- Rim Pressuring Guards, With a reliable mid range to keep the teams honest but not a good 3-PT Shooter; I mean I’d venture for top 10 as a safe bet? I don’t see why he couldn’t rack up SGA level production with more spacing, and lanes to attack. I’m not very knowledgeable about D-Wade but one place he could be hurt is the iverson cut and other off-ball activities he used to create leverage and pace for himself aren’t as common actions, I doubt it’s a huge deal although as 21 Offense and Downhill actions in general should replace the lack of rhythm off ball movement actions D-Wade got
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,653

Post#3 » by TheGOATRises007 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:55 am

Top 3.

Arguable 1st.

Wade's 2008-2009 season was almost on par with LeBron's best RS arguably in a lesser era for offenses to thrive compared to now.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#4 » by rk2023 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:05 am

TheGOATRises007 wrote:Top 3.

Arguable 1st.

Wade's 2008-2009 season was almost on par with LeBron's best RS arguably in a lesser era for offenses to thrive compared to now.

How do you view him compared to Kobe and Paul (pre injury) in 09? As well as his peak stacked next to Jokic & Giannis - probably the most important characters of this question.

In an era relative sense, I think he’s third out of the latter group (imo <= Kobe but > Paul at each’s peak). I’d think top 3 today as well
Mogspan wrote:I think they see the super rare combo of high IQ with freakish athleticism and overrate the former a bit, kind of like a hot girl who is rather articulate being thought of as “super smart.” I don’t know kind of a weird analogy, but you catch my drift.
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,270

Post#5 » by McBubbles » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:09 am

Top 3 fo sho. Would be the best defensively of the superstar guards by a wide margin and arguably second offensively after Curry.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,999

Post#6 » by OhayoKD » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:33 am

The disparity in responses between this and the kobe thread are pretty wild. Kobe's case for "not optimized in era" is much stronger.

Would take Giannis and Jokic. Embid theoretically better but needs a healthy postseason. Steph may have a case too. Small slashers should stand out less in today's league. In a league where a near 40-Lebron is harder to stop at the rim than shai or ja statistically, not seeing how people are expecting Wade to improve.

Based on?

That aside, lesser era for offenses isn't meaningful either way inofitself. The point is to stand out from the field, not to up your raw production.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,174

Post#7 » by PaulieWal » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:14 am

Best or 2nd best player similar to peak Kobe.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,901

Post#8 » by One_and_Done » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:28 am

Borderline top 10. There should be an option to vote him outside the top 10.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Primedeion
Junior
And1: 824

Post#9 » by Primedeion » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:35 pm

He'd be the best player in the world.

Same as peak Kobe
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,248

Post#10 » by rate_ » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:43 pm

Best player without a doubt. Give peak Wade spacing and he is going bonkers.
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#11 » by Rishkar » Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:40 am

McBubbles wrote:Top 3 fo sho. Would be the best defensively of the superstar guards by a wide margin and arguably second offensively after Curry.

I'd take Haliburton over Wade on offense without a second thought. Luka as well
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,270

Post#12 » by McBubbles » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:04 am

OhayoKD wrote:The disparity in responses between this and the kobe thread are pretty wild. Kobe's case for "not optimized in era" is much stronger.

Would take Giannis and Jokic. Embid theoretically better but needs a healthy postseason. Steph may have a case too. Small slashers should stand out less in today's league. In a league where a near 40-Lebron is harder to stop at the rim than shai or ja statistically, not seeing how people are expecting Wade to improve.

Based on?

That aside, lesser era for offenses isn't meaningful either way inofitself. The point is to stand out from the field, not to up your raw production.

Wade is closer in build to a Lebron than he is a Ja or Rose. He's only "small" in that he's 6'4 but he's 220-230lbs. For reference Ja is 6'2,190lbs maximum. Seen him listed as low as 175.

That and Wade got to the rim more often AND finished at a higher percentage in 2009 than Ja did last year in 2023. Prime Wade in this era would most definitely stand out from his contemporaries. I don't think he'd just be the exact same player but with higher efficiency, I think he'd be guarded differently on account of how devastating his space accentuated rim pressure would be.

I mean just think about how teams have guarded Giannis in this era when he had an era-relative mediocre shooting lineup vs when he has his modern super juiced 5 out lineup. Or how teams have guarded Lebron, one of the resiliency goats, in a mediocre shooting lineup vs a good shooting lineup. It wasn't just a matter of improved efficiency but improved effectiveness and impact. I think the same would be true for Wade going from the 2009-2011 Heat to now.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?
SportsGuru08
Rookie
And1: 879

Post#13 » by SportsGuru08 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:06 am

Between No. 6 and No. 8
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,000

Post#14 » by Eagle4 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:38 am

Arguably the best player in the league, he'd average similar numbers to late 80s MJ in this cupcake defense, pace and space league.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,441

Post#15 » by GSP » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:09 am

2nd best to Jokic

Peak Wade is clear of Embiid, Giannis, Luke........ Hes closer to Jokic than the rest to him. Wade pick and roll was prolly top 3 hardest plays to guard at his peak and hed have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more spacing around him in 2023. 09 Heat made 7 3s a game and shot 35.7% from 3 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the AVERAGE team in 2023 shoots 36.5% from 3 and makes 13 3s a game

You cannot guard a peak Wade pick and roll in 2023. With his alien 1st step and lack of defensive rules and contact today itd be comical watching players helpless fail at defending him. Hes getting to line close to 10 times a game at least. He was also all defense at his peak

For anyone critical of his 3pt shot Sga prolly been top 5 player this season shooting 30% from 3. Dwyane was far better, far more athletic in every way on both ends
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#16 » by Asianiac_24 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:13 am

I think Wade would be worse offensively because he didn’t have a 3 point shot, but he is unstoppable going to the rim and a great shot blocking guard. I would confidently take Jokic/Giannis over him, maybe Luka
GSP
RealGM

Post#17 » by GSP » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:18 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:I think Wade would be worse offensively because he didn’t have a 3 point shot, but he is unstoppable going to the rim and a great shot blocking guard. I would confidently take Jokic/Giannis over him, maybe Luka

Wade from 09-11 shot 31% from 3 on 3 attempts. Thats the same as Sga this season and Sga from 22-24 shot 31.5% on 3.7 attempts

Sga is a top 5 player this season, 2nd best Pg behind Luka and anchoring the 6th best offense and teams cant stop him at all. He was far worse and less athletic than Wade in every facet.

Wade not having a consistent 3 wouldnt make him worse today. With spacing around him and less defensive contact allowed now hed be more unguardable than he was before the pace and space era.
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,000

Post#18 » by Eagle4 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:27 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:I think Wade would be worse offensively because he didn’t have a 3 point shot, but he is unstoppable going to the rim and a great shot blocking guard. I would confidently take Jokic/Giannis over him, maybe Luka

Absolutely foolish assertion. So Wade with more spacing would struggle more TODAY vs in the past when the paint was routinely clogged with a couple of 6'10-7ft PF/Cs and overall more defensive resistance? Please if you've forgetten already then go re-watch PRIME Wade highlights because anytime I see this "hE wiLL bE wOrSe dUe to 3pTer" I cringe.

You could play a 2-3 zone and Wade would still be able to slice and dice the defense. I assume you mean primarily in the half court since Wade was one of the best open court players of all time but even in the half court once Wade got that PnR he was gone, as the late great Kobe stated.

How exactly are perimeter defenders of today going to stop him with how free offense players are allowed to play and as he inevitably gets by them with his ATG first step who's going to stop him at the rim, Sengun? Wagner? Gafford? Claxton? LOL. Wade was dunking over the likes of big bodies like Perkins, had the best games of his career against Howard's Magic, prime Jermaine O'Neal, Chandler etc

So there's absolutely no way Wade is worse today when the smaller, lankier and weaker version of him in Ja Morant averages 28ppg today.
GSP
RealGM

Post#19 » by GSP » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:35 am

Eagle4 wrote:

Absolutely foolish assertion. So Wade with more spacing today would struggle more now vs in the past when the paint was routinely clogged with a couple of 6'10-7fts and overall more defensive resistance? Please if you've forgetten already then go re-watch PRIME Wade highlights because anytime I see this "hE wiLL bE wOrSe dUe to 3pTer" I cringe.

You could play a 2-3 zone and Wade would still be able to slice and dice the defense. I assume you mean primarily in the half court since Wade was one of the best open court players of all time but even in the half court once Wade got that PnR he was gone, as the late great Kobe stated. How exactly are perimeter defenders of today going to stop him then once he inevitably gets by them with his all time first step? Who's going to stop him at the rim, Sengun?, Wagner? Gafford? Claxton? LOL. Wade was dunking over the likes of big bodies like Perkins, had the best games of his career against Howard's Magic, prime Jermaine O'Neal, Chandler etc

So there's absolutely no way Wade is worse when the smaller, lankier and weaker version of him in Ja Morant averages 28ppg today.

Ja plays more like Russ or Rose...........Closest to Wade today is Sga
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#20 » by pancakes3 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:03 pm

Wade would be playoff Jimmy but sustained. sounds like a top 3 player to me.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Player Comparisons