RealGM 2023 TOp 100 Project - #90 (Bill Sharman)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,313

RealGM 2023 TOp 100 Project - #90 (Bill Sharman) 

Post#1 » by trex_8063 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:32 am

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Billy Cunningham

Horace Grant

Cliff Hagan

Bill Sharman

Bill Walton

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Re: RealGM 2023 TOp 100 Project - #90 (Deadline sometime 4/7/24) 

Post#2 » by Samurai » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:02 am

Repeating my votes from previous round:

Vote for #90: Billy Cunningham. Excellent peak but injuries cut his career short. But his peak was outstanding: MVP (ABA), three-time All NBA First Team, one All ABA First Team, and one All NBA Second Team. Very good rebounder with elite hops (hence his nickname of the Kangaroo Kid), very good passer and solid defender with excellent bbIQ. Career 21.2 point/game scorer. Biggest knock outside of longevity is that he wasn't a good dribbler. But he always played with heart and tenacity with a non-stop motor.

Alternate vote: Bill Sharman. Probably the best pure shooter of his time. Elite FT shooter (led the league 7 times), 9 top 20 finishes in both TS% and FG%. Six top 20 finishes in assists/game. Penbeast described him as a good defender for his time, similar to Klay Thompson. Assuming that is true, that makes an excellent all-around player when combining it with elite shooting.

Nomination: Jerry Lucas. No I don't expect Luke to get much support as he didn't make the top 100 the last time either. But he's been a personal favorite of mine since I went to his summer camp so this is a personal bias vote for me. Outstanding shooter who shot for a very high percentage in his era, especially notable since he typically shot from farther out than most anyone else at that time. Twice led the league in TS% with eight total finishes in the top 20. A poor defender on the wing due to his lack of foot speed, he was a solid low post defender due to his strength and positioning, although at only 6-8 he could not stop taller elites like Wilt or Kareem. Seven finishes in the top 20 in DWS and eight times for OWS, he was named All NBA five times (3 first teams and 2 second teams). An elite rebounder, although he was a noted stat padder, he spent hours in the gym studying flight patterns and angles of shots to determine where a potential rebound is most likely to fall and used this uncanny positioning and strength to offset his lack of hops. Also a very good passer for a big in that era.

Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy. While I was never a big fan of his, I also admit that I only saw him play in the latter (post-prime) half of his career. Had the impression that he was kind of an 'empty stats' guy who put up big numbers that didn't necessarily translate into big impact. His WOWY isn't too impressive and he didn't seem to raise his game in the playoffs, although he didn't have any playoff appearances during his peak years. But he was a strong scorer who shot a high percentage for his era, finishing in the top 10 in TS% nine times. Was a good (but not elite) rebounder with seven top 10 finishes in reb/game. Excellent WS numbers with seven different seasons of 10+ WS (more than any of our current nominees), including a 16 WS rookie year.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,486

Post#3 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:50 am

Samurai wrote:Repeating my votes from previous round:

Nomination: Jerry Lucas.
Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy.

Will reiterate multiple people are voting for Tatum if you want to help him be admitted.

I am not even voting for him, but I find it weird for someone to say they want him and then not bother supporting him.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#4 » by Samurai » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:16 am

AEnigma wrote:
Samurai wrote:Repeating my votes from previous round:

Nomination: Jerry Lucas.
Alternate nomination: Walt Bellamy.

Will reiterate multiple people are voting for Tatum if you want to help him be admitted.

I am not even voting for him, but I find it weird for someone to say they want him and then not bother supporting him.

My personal preference is to vote my conscience and not to appease others. Unless and until the mods change the rules to achieve majorities to fall in with the crowd, I will stick with voting for my preferred candidates. And until the rules are changed, that is all I will say on that topic.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#5 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:38 am

VOTE: Billy Cunningham
NOMINATE: Bob Davies
AltNom: Gus Williams

Hold Gus in high regard for his excellent postseason elevation, his strong impact profile, and his general trend of success. On one of the old projects, Ronnymac mentioned that the 1976 Warriors had an outlier opponent turnover percentage coinciding with rookie Gus’s emergence as a McMillan-esque bench disrupter. Couple that with the Warriors losing narrowly once Gus was unable to play, and although that rookie season ends up not worth much in a CORP sense, I appreciate the signal of his ability to affect the game early on and at reduced minutes.

To me he was at his peak the fifth best (not most accomplished) guard before the playmaker boom of the late 1980s. Dynamic in transition, flexible as either a lead creator or a dedicated scorer, and defensively feisty without being irresponsible. Lack of longevity will be a non-starter for many, but I encourage those more forgiving of that to give him serious consideration.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#6 » by trelos6 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:42 am

I have Cunningham with 7 all star level seasons, Grant with 5 all star level, but 3 all nba level. Sharman with 8 all star level, but 2 all nba level. Hagan with 7 all star and 2 all nba seasons. And of course, Walton with his 2 MVP level seasons, but that was quite literally all she wrote.

Vote: Bill Sharman

Decent enough resume for this point.

Alt Vote: Bill Walton

His 2 seasons of heavy lifting does enough to get him the nod as the alternate.

Nom: Terry Porter

88-93 in the last 2 projects. I have him with 6 very strong seasons, 2 of which I have at a weak MVP level. His career had some longevity to it, though it wasn't at any great level.

Image These can be seen on his career PIPM graph.

His 3 year post season peak from 90-92, he averaged 20 pp75 on + 10.6 rTS%. I think an efficient PG makes team building so much easier, and if they can also not be a turnstile on defense, it helps even more. Porter did that really well. Playoff Porter increased both his usage and shooting against playoff defenses, and that's not something that can be said of a lot of players. Yes, Drexler was the 1A on that team, but I'd have Porter as the 1B for those playoff runs.

Alt nom: Mo Cheeks

Good lead guard for a long time. Complimentary scorer who was efficient. Good to great passer. Very good peak defensively. Another not so sexy pick, but he was just a good player for a long time.

Some other guys I was considering who just missed out. Jerry Lucas, Gus Williams, Shawn Kemp, Grant Hill, Marques Johnson, Dominique Wilkins.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,792

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:43 am

Vote Bill Sharman Best shooting guard of his era, combined relatively good scoring with relatively good defense for an extended period. Still valuable up into the 60s. Like Hagan, he played in a weak era but played at the top level for longer.

Alternate Vote Horace Grant Low scoring dirty work player but every team he played for improved significantly with him.

Nominate: Jayon Tatum Short prime but consistent two way performer. Have him slightly above Luke for defense and ability to fit into team mold though Luka is more spectacular and heliocentric.

Alt Nomination: Mel Daniels: Could also say Luka Doncic here but Mel is getting ignored despite being the best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in.

Most similar modern player would be Alonzo Mourning with better rebounding but without the great shotblocking. Both became greats through sheer aggression and a willingness to fight you every inch of every possession.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by trex_8063 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:58 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:I do not see much of argument for LMA. Very little team success(and I would sooner attribute the success of the 16 and 17 Spurs to Kawhi), not especially efficient as a scorer, leaves something to be desired as a rebounder for a 6'11' guy, -6.2 career playoff on/off. One would have to really think something of his defense and playmaking, imo, to make the case.

As far as fringe bigs go, I'd rather Webber get the nod. Issel too.

It all depends on how narrow focus you are wrt "efficiency"......for most, they tend to look only at shooting efficiency while all but ignoring ball-control.
And ball-control is where LMA might be the GOAT (like the literally frickin' GOAT) among big-men.

Let's look at LMA from '11-'19 (big nine-year period, where he missed very little time, fwiw).....
Although he's not a play-maker for others [doesn't accrue assists], he's averaging 21.2 ppg, while turning it over just 1.7 times per game; TS% in that span was 54.5% [average of about +0.2% rTS].

Suppose there were another big man who took the EXACT same number of true shooting attempts as LMA, and got the same number of assists and rebounds as LMA, but did so on TS% that was about 2.5% better. He'd be averaging 22.2 ppg.

So you'd say he's the more efficient scorer.

But let's say he also had an average big-man turnover economy........that means he'd be turning the ball over AT LEAST one additional time per game (2.7-2.8 topg). That's with AVERAGE big-man ball-control.

Is that 1 ppg extra his better shooting efficiency attains worth the 1(+) extra turnovers per game?
I would argue no; especially considering turnovers are more likely to ignite transition scoring opportunities [for the opponent], and that the occasional extra missed shot from LMA doesn't necessarily mean the end of the possession (there's something like 22-23% of your team retaining possession via offensive rebound.......whereas a turnover is a turnover).

There are trade-offs [good and bad] with a big man taking a lot of mid-range shots. Such shots generally lower his TS% [compared to attacking the rim], but it also means he's not handling the ball a lot in the congested paint area--->and thus turns it over less.

So looking at this comparison, we find that Aldridge actually has the slightly BETTER all-around offensive efficiency, despite being -2.5% TS relative to this hypothetical rival.
At the same level of shot-rate/usage and production, I would say a big with an "average big-man turnover economy" needs to be probably about 3-3.5% better [than Aldridge] in shooting efficiency to be of roughly equal all-around offensive efficiency.....because that's how tight his ball-control is.

So, something like a big averaging 22-23 ppg/9 rpg/2 apg on +3.5% rTS, while turning it over at an "average" rate for a big-man.

Does that sound like a decent offensive big now?
That's basically what Alridge was [in his prime] the equivalent of; it's just sort of hidden because everyone always ignores ball-control in their evaluations.

This is before factoring in other potential considerations, such as the benefit his shooting range provides for penetrating guards.

And yeah, I generally think his defense is better than he's often given credit for.
You mention some seemingly lackluster rebounding numbers for him. Do you feel the same about Marc Gasol (who only has three seasons where he even matched LMA's 16-year career average)?
Not saying he was a match for Gasol on defense; merely pointing out there is more to defensive rebounding than the individual totals.
Speaking for myself, I perceive in Aldridge a guy who blocked out, played fairly sound post defense, provided a modicum of rim-protection, and who was generally a small positive defensively (all while carrying a fairly significant volume on offense).

Looking at him in terms of box-based rate metrics......
Win Shares
This is NOT a stat that's going to love his play-style, because it: a) doesn't care a bit about scoring volume, b) it LOVES shooting efficiency (you've already cited this as a short-coming of his), and c) outside of a couple years in San Antonio, he was rarely involved with any REALLY successful teams (which WS are curved toward the team result).
Nonetheless, Aldridge sits #58 All-time in career rs WS.

BPM
This one likes the scoring volume he provides sort of a lot of, and is less concerned with shooting efficiency [than WS, though more concerned than, say.....PER]. otoh, it doesn't value rebounds highly, while valuing assists very highly; also it's curved toward team result.
Yet he still ranked 89th since 1973 in career VORP.

That he ranks so well in a couple metrics that shouldn't be overly fond of him is potentially saying something.
The common advanced metric that arguably should like him the most is PER.....

PER
This one likes scoring volume, and doesn't concern itself much with shooting efficiency. It arguably doesn't place enough value on blocked shots, though LMA was never a huge shot-blocker anyway (though not a slouch, either, with a respectable 1.7 blk/100 possessions for his career [peaking at 2.8 in his foul-prone rookie season]).
He's 68th All-time in career PER, despite a career that lasted 16 seasons in which he averaged nearly 34 mpg (several above him either have not played their twilight years yet and/or are small(er)-minute players).

But of course this is only the box-derived stuff. Maybe impact metric posit him lower?

Well, here are his league-ranks in RAPM by year (PI unless indicated otherwise).....
'09: 16th
'10: 19th
'11: 21st
'12 (NPI): tied for 31st
'13: tied for 15th
'14 (NPI): tied for 13th
'15: 25th
'16: 22nd
'17 (NPI): 129th
'18 (NPI): 12th

So outside of one outlier NPI, he's always right there hovering around top 20-25 in the league, except for the 2-3 seasons where he's closer to top 15........which fairly closely dove-tails with what an amalgamation of his box-derived metrics suggest. Bearing in mind he plays more minutes that many of the guys ahead of him in any given year.

^^This is all painting a picture of a guy who was routinely somewhere between top 12-15 to fringe top-20 in the league for basically a decade (and who was basically NEVER not "useful" in his 16-year career).

*In best 10 years RAPM added (admittedly not scaled year-to-year, and disregarding minutes [which would generally favour him anyway]), some of his closest company are names like Dwight Howard, Vince Carter, Kyle Lowry, and Paul Pierce.

*In total points above average from '97-'14, he's ranked 24th.

*In Engelman's recently released '97-'24 RAPM (includes playoffs), Aldridge is tied [with K.Porzingis] for 54th; his other closest company includes names like Jason Kidd, Chris Bosh, Ben Wallace, and Yao Ming.

How does all of this not constitue a solid argument for his consideration way out here circa #90?
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by trex_8063 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:25 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Why Nique rather than his contemporary Alex English? Both great scorers and apparently great guys, Nique is clearly the better rebounder, English the better playmaker, English more versatile and without the playoff efficiency fail. Nique was flashier, had more accolades, and had the best nickname in NBA history but I don't think he was actually better. Willing to listen though.

Atlanta Hawks rORtg and league rank during Nique’s prime
‘86: +0.7 rORTG (11th/23)
‘87: +4.3 rORTG (4th/23)
‘88: +3.3 rORTG (5th/23)
‘89: +4.4 rORTG (4th/25)
‘90: +4.9 rORTG (4th/27)
‘91: +3.0 rORTG (8th/27)
‘92: -0.9 rORTG (16th/27)*
*Important to note Nique missed 40 games this^^^ year. They were +0.8 rORTG in the 42 games he played, -2.6 rORTG in the 40 he missed [+3.4 shift].
‘93: +1.3 rORTG (10th/27)
‘94 (Nique traded late season): +0.9 rORTG (12th/27)

And I want to point out who his primary supporting cast was, in descending order of playing time, for that 5-year stretch in which they were >+3.0 rORTG each and every year.....
'87: Kevin Willis, Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak
'88: Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Kevin Willis, Tree Rollins, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb, John Battle
'89: [late prime/early post-prime] Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Doc Rivers, Cliff Levingston, John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb
'90: Moses Malone (post-prime), Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Cliff Levingston, Doc Rivers, John Battle
'91: Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Jon Koncak, Moses Malone (35 yrs old, very post-prime), John Battle

Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without
TOTAL: 389-274 (.587)---on pace for 48.1 wins---with him; 31-45 (.408)---on pace for 33.5 wins---without him. Avg +14.7 wins added.

Prime English (‘81-’89)
PER 21.2, .139 WS/48, +2.7 BPM in 36.6 mpg
77.5 WS, cumulative VORP: 28.9

Prime Wilkins (‘86-’94)
PER 23.2, .173 WS/48, +4.5 BPM in 37.4 mpg
89.6 WS, cumulative VORP: 32.8

Career English
Per 100 poss (rs): 30.2 pts, 7.7 reb, 5.1 ast, 1.3 stl, 1.0 blk, 3.4 tov @ .550 TS%
19.9 PER, .127 WS/48, 111 ORtg/110 DRtg (+1) in 31.9 mpg
100.7 rs WS
Per 100 poss (playoffs): 31.1 pts, 7.0 reb, 5.5 ast, 0.9 stl, 0.6 blk, 2.7 tov @ .556 TS%
19.9 PER, .129 WS/48, 116 ORtg/115 DRtg (+1) in 35.7 mpg
6.5 playoff WS

Career Wilkins
Per 100 poss (rs): 34.7 pts, 9.3 reb, 3.5 ast, 1.8 stl, 0.8 blk, 3.5 tov @ .536 TS%
21.6 PER, .148 WS/48, 112 ORtg/108 DRtg (+4) in 35.5 mpg.
117.5 rs WS
Per 100 poss (playoffs): 33.8 pts, 8.9 reb, 3.4 ast, 1.7 stl, 0.8 blk, 3.6 tov @ .510 TS%
18.7 PER, .079 WS/48, 106 ORtg/112 DRtg (-6) in 38.8 mpg
3.6 playoff WS

So Nique looks better in the rs, English looks better in the playoffs (though neither made a huge playoff imprint in their careers, nor has a particularly sizeable playoff game sample size).

I'll also make note of the difference in pts/100 possessions (both rs and playoffs). You've said previously that English gives the "same scoring volume (but on better efficiency)"; but that's not actually true. English, in fact, only has ONE season where he EVER topped Nique's career avg in pts/100 possessions.

I think English’s reputation as a scorer is perhaps a little inflated by the pace and focus on offense that existed on Doug Moe’s Nuggets. During English’s tenure in Denver (third of ‘80 season, then ‘81-’90), the Nuggets had the league’s fastest pace every single year from ‘81 thru ‘89 (sometimes by >5 over the 2nd-fastest team!), and were 2nd in pace in ‘90. Consequently, if you adjust for his numbers for pace, things come back to Earth a little.

English’s best year as a scorer was probably either ‘86 (35.9 pts/100 possessions on +2.15% to league TS%) or ‘82 (30.2 pts/100 poss on TS% +5.75% to league).
Dominique’s best year as a scorer was ‘93 (39.4 pts/100 poss on TS% +3.4% to league)--->I would say Nique wins the battle of scoring peak.
Looking at longer samples, English closes the gap, but doesn't definitively take the lead.......

Prime English (‘81-’89):
32.6 pts/100 poss, +1.9% to league TS%
career: 30.2 pts/100 poss, +1.65% to league TS%
Prime Wilkins (‘86-’94): 36.9 pts/100 poss, +0.8% to league TS%
career: 34.7 pts/100 poss, +/- 0% to league TS%

Couple other measures (career rs stats, fwiw):
Pts/Missed FGA: English--- 2.468, Wilkins--- 2.29
Pts/Turnover: English---- 8.97, Wilkins--- 9.99

So Nique’s obv right there with him as a scorer, arguably marginally better [at least in the rs] imo.
wrt the playoffs, I can't help feeling like opposing defenses couldn't preferentially focus in on English in the same way they would target Nique.......because some of those Denver teams also had Kiki Vandeweghe, Dan Issel, Calvin Natt, then Michael Adams: other guys who could put the ball in the bucket. I'm not sure guys like Kevin Willis or Doc Rivers truly compare as far as guys you need to worry about going off on you, if you cheat toward shutting down Nique.

This is not to say Nique's playoff regression isn't a valid criticism; it absolutely is. But it, shall we say, carries less relevance out here at #90 (when considering all the Nique accomplished in the rs).

And maybe there's something to Nique's bigger fan/media/accolade presence. Those are the guys that drive the imaginations of new generations, and generally drive the increasing popularity of the game........and that's important to the league's evolution.

So those would be my arguments as to why Nique > English.

AEnigma
Veteran

Post#10 » by AEnigma » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:02 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without
TOTAL: 389-274 (.587)---on pace for 48.1 wins---with him; 31-45 (.408)---on pace for 33.5 wins---without him. Avg +14.7 wins added.

English never really missed games in his prime, but if we are going to take this approach, will note that in 1980 the Nuggets were 11-13 with him and 19-39 without him, and the Pacers were 26-28 with him and 11-17 without him. And then the collapse of the Nuggets in 1991 is at least a decent signal, even if I would say his departure was of secondary effect to Fat Lever’s.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,801

Post#11 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:53 pm

trex_8063 wrote:How does all of this not constitue a solid argument for his consideration way out here circa #90?

Well, first I want to say you make an interesting case WRT the ball control/turnover economy angle offsetting the scoring efficiency, and the RAPM in particular makes me think a bit, but I still am not sold.

To start with, I'd push back against "circa #90". This is thread #90, but if all the current players on the ballot get in, that gets us to #94. That leaves just six more spots. So the question is, do I think LMA has a better case than all but five of the remaining not-yet-nominated players? And the answer, for me, is no.

Win Shares
This is NOT a stat that's going to love his play-style, because it: a) doesn't care a bit about scoring volume, b) it LOVES shooting efficiency (you've already cited this as a short-coming of his), and c) outside of a couple years in San Antonio, he was rarely involved with any REALLY successful teams (which WS are curved toward the team result).

BPM
This one likes the scoring volume he provides sort of a lot of, and is less concerned with shooting efficiency [than WS, though more concerned than, say.....PER]. otoh, it doesn't value rebounds highly, while valuing assists very highly; also it's curved toward team result.

That he ranks so well in a couple metrics that shouldn't be overly fond of him is potentially saying something.

I would point out here that you specifically say in terms of "rate" metrics, but the all-time rankings you reference are not for the rate metrics(i.e. WS/48 and BPM). (Also, for VORP, you appear to have used the ranking from the NBA-only list as opposed to the NBA/ABA list - not sure if that was purposeful or a mistake). LMA ranks significantly lower on the rate metrics than on the cumulative ones. I've compiled lists for VORP, BMP, WS, and WS/48 that include LMA and a host of other players that are being considered for nominations at this point:

VORP
37 - Dominique
48 - Hill
57- Webber
61 - Mullin
73 - English
82 - Divac
88 - Issel
90 - LMA

So with VORP alone, there's seven players ahead him. When you look at BPM, LMA falls from #90 to #165 and now has 12 players of interest ahead of him.

BPM
46 - Tatum
50 - Webber
58 - Dominique
67 - Mullin
73 - Hill
77 - G.Williams
108 - Issel
111 - Divac
119 - McAdoo
128 - English
137 - Bosh
139 - Worthy
165 - LMA

For career win shares, LMA is at #58, with two players of interest ahead of him(including my guy Walker).

WS
25 - Issel
54 - Walker
58 - LMA

For for WS/48, LMA falls from #58 to #103 and now has seven players of interest ahead of him.

WS/48
43 - Issel
61 - Zelmo
69 - Walker
72 - Hawkins
85 - Bosh
102 - Tatum
103 - LMA

It's also worth nothing that most(not all) of the players I'm comparing LMA to here much more in the way of playoff team success - Issel, Gus Williams, Bosh, Worthy, Zelmo, Walker, Hawkins, McAdoo all have championships and addition Finals or Conference Finals appearances; Tatum and Mullin have a Finals and Conference Finals appearances; with one Conference Finals appearance, LMA is with Webber and English at the bottom of that particular list of these players(and the fact that LMA is a career -6.2 playoff on/of doesn't help his case there).

I don't necessarily think any one of these things alone is enough to kill LMA's case - not all championship rings or Finals/Conference Finals appearances are equal, WS/48 and BPM measure some things well others not so well, etc - I just think taken in totality it's really hard to say you can't find six players here with a better case.

And none of that even mentions a guy like Bob Davies who, while I have withheld support for reasons having to do with the sparse data for his pre-NBA years, certainly looks like he has a better era-relative case than LMA. Or Hal Greer whose career took place before BPM/VORP was a thing...though I think it's getting increasingly difficult to make a case for him too.

So, something like a big averaging 22-23 ppg/9 rpg/2 apg on +3.5% rTS, while turning it over at an "average" rate for a big-man.

This jumped out at me because it's a pretty close statistical profile of Bosh - not exactly, but close - and while I'm not actively supporting Bosh, I'd take him over LMA. They're similar players in skillset, and they're even very close together on J.E.'s list - Bosh is #53 and LMA #56 - but Bosh has the hardware, and was maybe a little more versatile as a scorer. Interesting comparison, actually.
LA Bird
Analyst
And1: 3,148

Post#12 » by LA Bird » Fri Apr 5, 2024 11:49 pm

Still too busy to reply to this but will hopefully have time to come back to it at some point.

trex_8063 wrote:
Spoiler:
Transplanting here, since he's still on the table......

LA Bird wrote:
trex_8063 wrote:You're not the only one to use a CORP-type argument to make a case for a poor longevity guy; but in doing so, you [and others] tend to fixate on the one or two really good years, saying "my gosh! Look how much more valuable these MVP or 'All-Time' tier seasons are than a mere 'All-Star' season"........while [seemingly] failing to actually complete the math for their whole career (and more importantly: comparing it to the CORP value of the other players).

Walton is already playing from behind before we include consideration of the rest of their respective careers (which arguably/probably leans toward the other guys [not Walton]). I mean, outside of his '77 campaign [which we'll say is worth 10 of those "top 150" seasons], how many more "top 150" seasons is the whole rest of his career worth?

12? 15? 17?

I think 17 would be an over-generous estimation [perhaps grossly so]; probably even 15 is over-generous, given his one and ONLY other fully healthy season saw him playing just 19.3 mpg in the rs and even fewer [18.2] in the playoffs; and while in '78 he was still MVP level, he missed 24 rs games [wouldn't even be eligible this year], and more or less missed the entire playoffs.
Yes, he had some other decent years, though never again approaching [even remotely?] the level of '77 or '78 rs, and ALWAYS with one or both of limited minutes or massive missed games.

Everything here was already preemptively covered in my original post. The focus on minutes instead of the actual contribution in those minutes. The complete dismissal of ~60 game seasons which is never done for other players.

I absolutely did NOT do that.

In fact, I literally just got through valuing his NON-'77 seasons as being [collectively] worth MORE THAN '77. For the sake of argument, I even went with what is [imo] a bullish estimate, saying that they are [collectively] worth 70% more than '77 is (i.e. nearer to double than to same-ish).

How on Earth is that possible if I am "completely dismissing" ~60-game seasons?

LA Bird wrote:The emphasis on the drop off from peak form while ignoring how good a declined Walton still was. I don't think there is much to discuss if you are just going to re-use the same arguments I already addressed...

I feel you're pulling away on the defensive, when truly I'm not trying to be dickish here.

Perhaps I've not been clear enough on what I'm asking of you:
You have said those other seasons have value (I agree), and you provided evidence of that very thing.
What you did NOT do was state EXACTLY what tier [within a CORP framework] you would put EACH SPECIFIC season into.......and thus tell us what you have as his full career CORP added......and then compare it to the CORP value added of others being discussed.

We might find more meaningful discussion if you would be specific as to those things.

That might help explain how you feel '75-'76 + '78-'87 are worth more than [substantially more than, as is necessary for CORP argument to hold] than Al Horford '08 + '15-'23 (because as I already posited that the six years of '09-'14 are worth at least as much as '77 Walton in a CORP-sense [which you did not argue with]).
Or how those other Walton years are worth more than Jack Sikma '78 + '84-'91 ('79-'83 Sikma being worth the same or more than '77 Walton [again, no argument]).

Just so I am being clear to you on how I'm valuating Walton's years, I'll outline my CORP valuations, and go through Walton's seasons one at a time (providing my thoughts/reasoning)......

Fwiw, I use slightly different tiers than Taylor (and I allow "half-measures" when I can't decide which tier a season belongs in [i.e. I'll have a season straddling two tiers (0.5 in each)].
I rate them largely relative to the league environment they played in (for instance, I credit Paul Arizin with one MVP-tier season, even though I don't think he translates to near that level of play/impact in some other eras).
And yes, I DO take missed time into consideration. If two guys are playing at a similar "All-Star"/"top 25" level for example, but one guy plays 80 games while the other plays 44......I do NOT feel it's fair/justified to credit them with having had the same quality of season: one of them very obviously provided considerably more value to his team (and I don't think this is an inappropriate way to think about it). In a situation like that, the guy missing nearly half the year likely gets bumped downward one tier [and I'd sometimes bump him even more if it was a non-fluky injury which causes him to miss any potential playoffs, too. Missed time [especially in the playoffs] hurts your team's championship odds A LOT).

Here are the tiers I use; championship odds above replacement shown in (parentheses) below:
GOAT-tier (35%): Rather self-explanatory what this tier means--->seasons one could literally make a case as the best season anyone has ever played. fwiw, I've only credited 9 such seasons [from 5 players, 1-3 seasons for each] in NBA history.
"All-Time" tier (29%): Not quite GOAT-tier, but better than a run-of-the-mill solid MVP candidate. I've credited 41.5 [again: half-measures] such seasons in NBA history (from 20 different players). The "+7" season you suggested for Walton would fall into this category.
MVP tier (21%): Basically meaning a solid MVP candidate (roughly top 2-3 in the league). 114 such seasons [from 43 different players] so far pegged (I haven't yet done CORP valuations for ALL players who might be mentioned in a top 100 project [I've done 81 players so far, including Walton]).
"Weak MVP" tier (16%): Something like roughly top 4-6 in the league; they likely do get MVP buzz in actuality (even winning sometimes), but are retrospectively obviously NOT the best candidate.
All-NBA tier (10%): Guys who can credibly earn an All-NBA honour; roughly top 14-15 in the modern(ish) league (since there have been 25+ teams, and a "3rd Team"), hedging more toward top 10(ish) in smaller leagues (or even less when it was just 8-9 teams).
All-Star tier (6.5%): Broad enough to include those who might be fringe All-Stars [though not good enough to reach the All-NBA tier]; roughly top 25 in the league players (more like top 15-16(ish) in smaller league years). Note I haven't valued such seasons any higher than Taylor has.
"Sub-All-Star" tier (4%): Very similar to the "top 40" tier shown on Taylor's graph. This tier is for guys who are fringe or borderline All-Stars at best, though often a bit below that. Roughly top 40 players in the modern league size; maybe more like top 25-30(ish) in smaller league eras. The true "average starter" is not much behind this, fwiw.
Average Player tier (1.5%): The literal average player. He might be a low-tier/borderline starter in many circumstances, though he's certainly worse than a true "average starter", but better than a replacement level player (which is why he gets a little consideration here, as the metric is literally above replacement players [that's the "RP" in "CORP"]). This kind of player is very very very close to the fringe/lower-end/borderline "starter" (the "top 150" category on Ben Taylor's graph [note Taylor has that one listed as merely +/- 0]). These are players who are often hovering near PER of 15.0, WS/48 of .100, BPM of +/- 0, RAPM of +/- 0, etc ["average"], while playing perhaps 20-25 mpg ["average"] (all of these depending upon team circumstance, obviously; but you get the idea). They are roughly top 150-170 players in the big modern league.

READ: Please note the worth I have placed on each of my tiers is very very very close to where the line intersects on Ben Taylor's graph for all tiers listed; with the exceptions that I valued my GOAT-tier marginally less (35%, whereas he has it worth ~37%), and that I also valued that "average player" LESS than he did (1.5%, whereas the same looks to be worth ~2.5-2.75% on his graph).
So it cannot be said that I am, in some effort to OVER-credit longevity, placing excessive value on these good-but-not-great seasons (I'm giving them almost exactly the same values as the source you're citing, except for the average player category [which I'm actually giving LESS value to]).

Walton
'75: His production looks good when he played, though below what it would be near his peak. His impact looks more dodgy (almost kind of outlier so within his career). Even you noted above, I believe, that he the WOWY MOV shift was negative for this year; I note the more coarse observation that they were 12-23 [.343] when he played, 26-21 [.553] when he was out. I suspect there are other injuries or roster shake-ups at play in that startling observation, and so I don't take it at face value; though it's nonetheless clear that his impact is not yet what it would become. And he missed more than half of the season (and seems likely, given he missed the last ~8 weeks of rs, that he would have missed any potential playoffs).
I'll still not "dismiss" this season, for the sake of argument, at least; though I cannot see crediting it with more than the "Average Player" tier. (EDIT: Upon reflection, even this is over-generous, given the impact signal is lacking in his rookie year, he missed a full 60% of the regular season, AND would have [seemingly] missed the playoffs (if they'd made it). Hard to view this year as worth anything in terms of championship odds added.)

'76: Box-based figures don't look as good as his rookie year (shooting efficiency sort of bottoms out this year, as he takes on only slightly more volume), though still decent overall. Impact profile looking better, however (e.g. 26-25 [.510] when he played, 11-20 [.355] in games he missed.......good, but not monstrous); and he played 16 games more than the year before (and looks like he would have been healthy for the playoffs if they'd made it---->NOTE: this is perhaps the perfect illustration of WHY missed games matter to me. If he had been healthy, it seems they very very likely would have made the playoffs; his missing time cost them a playoff berth.)
I've just upgraded the valuation on this season [perhaps in part for the sake of argument, to show I'm not being harsh to Walton] to a half-measure: half "All-Star" and half "Sub-All-Star". Given his lacking box metrics, impact signal which is perhaps only barely looking All-Starish, and missing 31 games besides.......I feel this is [if anything] being generous to the year.

'77: I went with "All-Time" tier for this season (again, the roughly "+7" you yourself suggested).

'78: I think he was playing at the same level as in '77 (there are some suggestions to say perhaps even marginally BETTER). He did, however, miss nearly a third of the rs [24 games], and then was basically absent for the playoffs (two games of reduced effectiveness). This dings the value of the year a lot for me.
I've gone with the "Weak MVP" tier (I previously had it a half-measure between "Weak MVP" and "All-NBA", but bumped it up for this discussion). His durability concerns not only forced him to miss 24 rs games (which in some circumstances MIGHT have prevented them from making the playoffs at all), but lampooned any hope for playoff success. So I cannot go higher than that, personally, specifically within a criteria/construct that is LITERALLY titled "Championship Odds". tbh, this is probably TOO generous a ranking for this year (I should likely bump it back to where I had it); but for the sake of argument, I'll leave it as is (giving him 16% addition to his career championship odds, even though his durability for the ps more accurately made the odds 0%).
Side-note: this is the first year we get to see it, but Walton was actually quite turnover-prone. I haven't seen the context in which a lot of these occur; I've just not seen a ton of Walton's play (mostly just the '77 Finals and '86 Finals is what I've seen).

'80: His numbers look decent, but he played just 14 games; they were 6-8 [.429] with him, 29-39 [.426] without (although you note a +4.9 shift on MOV). I didn't give this season credit for anything in a CORP-construct because: 14 games; I don't think you can fault me on that decision.

'83: Other than the usual high turnover rate and the tremendous dip in FT%, his box-figures are pretty decent. There is some impact signal, as they're 12-21 [.364] with him, 13-36 [.265] without (not all that much lift for such a poor team, fwiw, though you note a +5.9 MOV shift). As noted here, he plays just 33 games (missing 49).
I personally didn't give him credit for anything for this year, since he missed 60% of the season, and was good, but not exactly lighting the world on fire when he did play. Were I to credit anything for this year, I don't see how I can go above "Average Player/Season", given all the missed time.

'84: Rate metrics are decent except for [again] the turnovers and the FT% still a bit problematic, though in <27 mpg. They were 23-32 [.418] with him, 7-20 [.259] without him (the MOV shift you noted is +4.7 for this year).
I credited him with a "Sub-All-Star" season for this. I see a player who might be having "All-NBA" tier impact when he's on the court.........but he's only on the court <27 mpg (whereas other true "All-NBA" players are playing 35+ mpg); that alone would likely drop this year down to "All-Star", then there's a third of the season missed on top of that. I cannot see going higher than a half-measure (between All-Star and "Sub-AS") at the max.

'85: Again his rate metrics [other than turnovers] look pretty good, though in <25 mpg this year. They were 27-40 [.403] with him, 4-11 [.267] without (you noted a more modest [than prior years] +2.7 MOV change). I gave credit for a "Sub-AS" season here. Looking at a guy was probably still a defensive stud, though in low minutes, averaging basically 10 and 9 with more turnovers than assists (fairly high foul rate, too, fwiw). idk, I just can't quite get to an "All-Star" tier with this season, or even really to a half-measure.

'86: His numbers are good, his impact signal (as you noted) is tremendous. He is like a 19 mpg player, though. Even if I buy into him having All-NBA or even Weak MVP impact [a stretch for me] while in the game......he's still only playing about half the minutes that a true All-NBA/Weak MVP player would be playing.
I gave him a half-measure between "All-Star" and "Sub-AS"......which is truly a credit to him that I'm giving that much despite the extremely limited minutes (and fwiw, this is probably on par with your typical 6MOY season).

'87: He's 11 mpg for 10 games in the rs (minimally effective, too). In the playoffs he plays [also at much declined effectiveness] for 8.5 mpg in 12 [of 23] ps games; I didn't credit this year as above replacement.

So ^^^that is how I've tentatively credited him. You might argue I'm marginally underrating '84 and '85, and that maybe I should at least give that "average" year credit to '83. However, I've very likely overrated '75 by giving it any rank at all (see edit above), and [imo] was arguably marginally generous in the credit given to '76; and from a strictly "championship odds" construct, I've GROSSLY overrated '78: I gave him credit for "weak MVP", as acknowledgement for how good he was for 70% of the rs; but realistically, his value adding toward an actual title that year is pretty minimal--->because he missed the playoffs.

He's nonetheless STILL not a world-beater, even against the crowd faced here. With the above ratings (again: probably generous for CORP valuation, based on how I credited '78), I have him exactly tied with Horford in raw CORP value (edit: IF I leave the credit to '75 intact). With a slight longevity calibration, he moves marginally ahead (again: with credit on '75).
However, I'm not an era-relativist. I view the NBA of the mid-late 70s as a lesser league than it would become a decade later (and less than it is today). When I apply my era calibration to it, he slips slightly behind Horford (even with '75).

fwiw, my ranking is not based upon my CORP valuation to any sizable degree. Though this manner of evaluation probably IS the one methodology that will paint Walton in the most flattering light........yet still [as I said above] he's not a world-beater, even at this stage.
And that's all I'm saying when I suggest that the CORP framework doesn't necessarily make his case to the degree you're implying.

Still copy paste for now...

Vote: Bill Walton
Nom: Bob Davies?

Spoiler:
Walton is one of the most polarizing player on all time rankings so I don't really expect this writeup to change the minds of most voters. But I did switched sides myself so maybe one or two of you might also join me in the Walton camp after reading this.

The first thing with Walton is the number of seasons. Many will immediately disqualify him from a career list because he played too little but not all seasons are equal. Like LeBron said, 2 points isn't always 2 points. Similarly, 2 seasons isn't always 2 seasons. ElGee's CORP method has become quite popular on this board but I don't think many still grasp the difference between an all time level peak like Walton's and 'regular' superstars. If we refer to the graph below, the equivalent of a +7 season is about 3 seasons in the top 10, 4.5 seasons as an All Star, or 10+ seasons as an average starter. Walton's short peak loses him the debate against any elite player with a sustained peak but those guys have all been voted in a long time ago. We have reached a point in the project where some of the candidates were rarely or even never top 10 in any season. Rodman was inducted recently - how many top 10 and All Star level seasons did he have in his career? How about Horford who is likely to be nominated soon? The number of seasons matter in a career comparison but so does the value of each season.

Estimating peak Walton as a +7 player might seem high but arguments for his impact at his peak is pretty ironclad. He was the clear leader on both offense and defense for a title team that completely fell apart without him. Walton is the WOWY GOAT in ElGee's dataset with a +10 net difference in 77/78 (raw MOV change without any teammate adjustment is even higher at +12) and he is ~100th percentile in Moonbeam's RWOWY graphs. Furthermore, the team's second best player was another big in Maurice Lucas, and they had a good backup center in Tom Owens so there is no question either if Walton's impact metrics were inflated by poor replacements. He is arguably the best passing center besides Jokic, one of the top 3 defensive rebounders ever by era-relative percentage (which synergizes perfectly with his outlet passing), and he is among the GOAT defensive players. Walton's skillset checks all the boxes you would expect from an impact monster and he has the numbers to back it up too. And since this is a career not peak list, I should also point out Walton consistently had massive impact outside of his peak years.

This is often overlooked but Walton actually played more than just 77/78/86. Obviously, him missing the 79-82 seasons is a giant red flag but unless we are penalizing players for missed potential, those years just get a zero from me. Now, from the team's point of view, was he a negative contract because he was getting paid a lot for nothing? Of course. But salaries and contracts are not a consideration in this project. The best player and the best player relative to salary (ie the most underpaid) are separate topics. Moving on to the seasons where Walton actually played over half the games, we get 76/84/85, three more years where he averaged 58 games per season. It is not a lot of games but we normally still count seasons of that length for other players. For example, 96/97/98 Shaq over three years averaged 55 games per season and I don't believe anybody is writing off those years because he didn't hit a threshold in games played. Such seasons get valued less than full 82 game seasons but they still usually get some credit.

Other than the numbers of games, the next thing with non-peak Walton is his minutes per game. He did play less but I think there is too much emphasis on the number of minutes itself rather than his impact in those minutes. Which, if we are being honest, seems a bit inconsistent for a board that already voted for a career 6th man in Ginobili at #39 because of his high impact in low minutes. Looking at samples with more than 10 games, Walton's raw WOWY scores were consistently quite strong even during his non-peak years (outside of an ugly rookie season)

Walton WOWY (MOV)
1975: -5.0
1976: +3.7
1980: +4.9
1983: +5.9
1984: +4.7
1985: +2.7

By the same measure, Dantley had 3 prime seasons with a negative raw WOWY (1980: -0.1, 1983: -2.0, 1988: -2.0) and Hagan, as trex_8063 pointed out before, often saw his teams perform better without him too. In other words, if we remove any preconceptions about his health, these forgotten years of Walton still provided more lift for his team than prime Dantley and Hagan did. The box scores are not as favorable to Walton but then again, his box score stats were never that impressive even at his peak. Still, a 13/10/3 slash line is comparable to some of the prime seasons of non-scorers like Unseld and Draymond. Walton is often penalized for having a GOAT-level peak because seasons which would otherwise be viewed as prime for lesser players get written off as meaningless for him, which in turn makes his already short career look even shorter than it really is.

1986 is the only non-peak season of Walton that gets any recognition but it is still underrated in my opinion. Winning 6MOY is nice but it relegates him to a mere footnote as just a good bench player when his impact was so much more. The Celtics saw a bigger jump after adding Walton than the Sixers did with Moses or the Warriors with Durant.

Celtics RS SRS / PO Relative Rating
1984: +6.4 / +6.9
1985: +6.5 / +5.8
1986: +9.1 / +13.1
1987: +6.6 / +3.5
1988: +6.2 / +4.7

The Walton team stands far above the rest despite the starters in 86 playing fewer minutes than in 85 and 87. The only other roster change in 86 was swapping Quinn Buckner for Jerry Sichting but that doesn't explain the improvement on defense or why the team fell back down to earth in 87 with Sichting still playing. Walton was the difference maker that elevated the Celtics from great to GOAT team status. I am guessing Walton's naysayers will still bring up his low minutes off the bench as rebuttal but focusing on minutes alone is pointless without evaluating his contribution in those minutes. There is no guarantee that a 40 minute starter would have more impact than a 20 minute reserve just because he played more. And once we move pass the labels, it's obvious to see how big of a difference Walton made to the Celtics.

TLDR
• Walton's peak is so much higher that one season from him is equal to the top 3 or more seasons of the other candidates.
• His non-peak impact signals are still better than prime Dantley, Hagan and he had 3 of those years averaging at ~60 games.
• He added All Star level lift to the Celtics as a ceiling raiser despite overlapping with an existing All Star at the same position.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#13 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:00 am

Vote

1. Bill Walton

Not an ideal pick but the current crop of nominees is kid of underwhelming imo. After all the hubaloo about modern and recency bias over the last few threads, it's wierd to me no one takes an issue with the 80's and 90's still getting way more representation than any other decade in terms of inductees who have played and peaked and current nominees, including the 10's and 2000's which took place after foreign talent doubled within a span of 6 years and kept increasing.

Is no one going to push for a course correction here?

But I digress. LA Bird made Walton's case better than I could so...
Spoiler:
LA Bird wrote:Walton is one of the most polarizing player on all time rankings so I don't really expect this writeup to change the minds of most voters. But I did switched sides myself so maybe one or two of you might also join me in the Walton camp after reading this.

The first thing with Walton is the number of seasons. Many will immediately disqualify him from a career list because he played too little but not all seasons are equal. Like LeBron said, 2 points isn't always 2 points. Similarly, 2 seasons isn't always 2 seasons. ElGee's CORP method has become quite popular on this board but I don't think many still grasp the difference between an all time level peak like Walton's and 'regular' superstars. If we refer to the graph below, the equivalent of a +7 season is about 3 seasons in the top 10, 4.5 seasons as an All Star, or 10+ seasons as an average starter. Walton's short peak loses him the debate against any elite player with a sustained peak but those guys have all been voted in a long time ago. We have reached a point in the project where some of the candidates were rarely or even never top 10 in any season. Rodman was inducted recently - how many top 10 and All Star level seasons did he have in his career? How about Horford who is likely to be nominated soon? The number of seasons matter in a career comparison but so does the value of each season.

Estimating peak Walton as a +7 player might seem high but arguments for his impact at his peak is pretty ironclad. He was the clear leader on both offense and defense for a title team that completely fell apart without him. Walton is the WOWY GOAT in ElGee's dataset with a +10 net difference in 77/78 (raw MOV change without any teammate adjustment is even higher at +12) and he is ~100th percentile in Moonbeam's RWOWY graphs. Furthermore, the team's second best player was another big in Maurice Lucas, and they had a good backup center in Tom Owens so there is no question either if Walton's impact metrics were inflated by poor replacements. He is arguably the best passing center besides Jokic, one of the top 3 defensive rebounders ever by era-relative percentage (which synergizes perfectly with his outlet passing), and he is among the GOAT defensive players. Walton's skillset checks all the boxes you would expect from an impact monster and he has the numbers to back it up too. And since this is a career not peak list, I should also point out Walton consistently had massive impact outside of his peak years.

This is often overlooked but Walton actually played more than just 77/78/86. Obviously, him missing the 79-82 seasons is a giant red flag but unless we are penalizing players for missed potential, those years just get a zero from me. Now, from the team's point of view, was he a negative contract because he was getting paid a lot for nothing? Of course. But salaries and contracts are not a consideration in this project. The best player and the best player relative to salary (ie the most underpaid) are separate topics. Moving on to the seasons where Walton actually played over half the games, we get 76/84/85, three more years where he averaged 58 games per season. It is not a lot of games but we normally still count seasons of that length for other players. For example, 96/97/98 Shaq over three years averaged 55 games per season and I don't believe anybody is writing off those years because he didn't hit a threshold in games played. Such seasons get valued less than full 82 game seasons but they still usually get some credit.

Other than the numbers of games, the next thing with non-peak Walton is his minutes per game. He did play less but I think there is too much emphasis on the number of minutes itself rather than his impact in those minutes. Which, if we are being honest, seems a bit inconsistent for a board that already voted for a career 6th man in Ginobili at #39 because of his high impact in low minutes. Looking at samples with more than 10 games, Walton's raw WOWY scores were consistently quite strong even during his non-peak years (outside of an ugly rookie season)

Walton WOWY (MOV)
1975: -5.0
1976: +3.7
1980: +4.9
1983: +5.9
1984: +4.7
1985: +2.7

By the same measure, Dantley had 3 prime seasons with a negative raw WOWY (1980: -0.1, 1983: -2.0, 1988: -2.0) and Hagan, as trex_8063 pointed out before, often saw his teams perform better without him too. In other words, if we remove any preconceptions about his health, these forgotten years of Walton still provided more lift for his team than prime Dantley and Hagan did. The box scores are not as favorable to Walton but then again, his box score stats were never that impressive even at his peak. Still, a 13/10/3 slash line is comparable to some of the prime seasons of non-scorers like Unseld and Draymond. Walton is often penalized for having a GOAT-level peak because seasons which would otherwise be viewed as prime for lesser players get written off as meaningless for him, which in turn makes his already short career look even shorter than it really is.

1986 is the only non-peak season of Walton that gets any recognition but it is still underrated in my opinion. Winning 6MOY is nice but it relegates him to a mere footnote as just a good bench player when his impact was so much more. The Celtics saw a bigger jump after adding Walton than the Sixers did with Moses or the Warriors with Durant.

Celtics RS SRS / PO Relative Rating
1984: +6.4 / +6.9
1985: +6.5 / +5.8
1986: +9.1 / +13.1
1987: +6.6 / +3.5
1988: +6.2 / +4.7

The Walton team stands far above the rest despite the starters in 86 playing fewer minutes than in 85 and 87. The only other roster change in 86 was swapping Quinn Buckner for Jerry Sichting but that doesn't explain the improvement on defense or why the team fell back down to earth in 87 with Sichting still playing. Walton was the difference maker that elevated the Celtics from great to GOAT team status. I am guessing Walton's naysayers will still bring up his low minutes off the bench as rebuttal but focusing on minutes alone is pointless without evaluating his contribution in those minutes. There is no guarantee that a 40 minute starter would have more impact than a 20 minute reserve just because he played more. And once we move pass the labels, it's obvious to see how big of a difference Walton made to the Celtics.

TLDR
• Walton's peak is so much higher that one season from him is equal to the top 3 or more seasons of the other candidates.
• His non-peak impact signals are still better than prime Dantley, Hagan and he had 3 of those years averaging at ~60 games.
• He added All Star level lift to the Celtics as a ceiling raiser despite overlapping with an existing All Star at the same position.

Impact portfolio only really cleanly topped by Lebron and Russell, a dominant championship, and an MVP, not to mention a key role in a second dominant championship is better than what everybody else on the board has to offer.

2. Horace Grant

Going with these two as they seem to have the most traction, but will make a case some other players I think more deserving than most of the current nominees(and maybe even a couple inductees).
Nomination

1 Luka Doncic
2. Jayson Tatum

Would prefer to vote for gasol but these two are getting traction so. May swap depending on who gets support.

Not neccesarily the most deserving player, but with Sam Jones being pushed for a while now, I'd say Grant's case is probably a better version of Jones':

Spoiler:
OhayoKD wrote:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

I've pointed this out before, but these box-numbers likely don't give Grant his full credit as a co-primary paint-protector on Chicago:
(if you want to check, 20 possessions are finished through 19:42 amd 40 are finished through 49:52)

Note it was very hard to make out players(besides pippen whose got a nasty case of roblox head), so i could be misattributing here and there though I used jersey numbers, names, commentator[url][/url]s, and head/body shapes the best i could. I also counted "splits" for both parties(which is why the numbers don't add up to 40)

Distribution went

Pippen/Grant
14 each

Purdue
6 or 7

Cartwright

Armstrong/Jordan
1 each

FWIW, Grant seemed more significantly more effective than Pippen but otoh, Pippen was trusted to deal with laimbeer far more than anyone else

All that aside, what's notable here is that it's the non-bigs who are checking rim threats the most. Not the centres. With one of the two deterring attempts, sometimes on an island, the rest of the team was enabled to try and force turnovers with suffocating pressure.

FWIW, Chicago postseason defense tended to be closer to their postseason offense than one might think.

Horace Grant also probably deserves at least some credit for the 2001 Lakers dramatically improved postseason defense(and overall) performance relative to their 2000 iteration(their rim-protection numbers in particular were significantly).

Probably fair to say he played a "key role" on 4 champions and 5 finalists with three distinct cores(though there was common ground between all 3 teams). Nothing mind blowing in terms of rs impact(similar to Sam Jones and Sharman), but there's a consistent trend in terms of playoff results:

-> Chicago improves drastically overnight as he and pippen see their roles increase in 1990, looks similar to the 91 Bulls in the first two rounds per M.O.V iirc
-> Chicago has their worst playoff run of the dynasty with his depature(despite looking pretty good without him in the RS)
-> Magic go from a first round out to a finalist(though the "real nba finals" was arguably in the West)
-> Lakers go from one of the worst champions ever to statistically maybe the best

All these teams specifically see their defense and ability to protect the paint rise and drop with his arrival and depature in the postseason.

I think if we're going to have the jones and sharmans inducted, Grant should also probably be there as well. Replication across contexts and a more clear connect between team performance and the nature of his contributions are advantages for him here I think.

TLDR: While both have eh rs profiles, unlike Sam Jones, Horace Grant has a consistent pattern of joining teams and seeing their playoff performance jump, and leaving teams and seeing their playoff performance fall, with his specific contributions correlating with the side of the floor the team jumps the most in. He also had one chance taking up a bigger role in 1994 and played like a legit no.2 on a contender. Sam Jones has no track record to speak off without the biggest impact outlier in history. Moreover, while the Bulls clearly missed Grant vs the Magic when he left, the Celtics went on their most impressive two-year playoff run with Sam Jones as a 6th man beating the 68 Lakers(highest mov ever with west), the 68 Sixers(wilt + a team that was good without him), the 69 Lakers(merger of 2nd and 3rd best team in the league, core that won a championship soon after), and the 69 Knicks(rotation that won the next year's championship and made three finals, winning two in short order). All in all, I'd say there are bigger questions around Sam Jones replicability than Grant and don't really see why Sam Jones should go ahead.

2. Marc Gasol

This omission is really weird to me:

-> Was the clear best player on a fringe contender, most notably going 2-1 up on the eventual champion 2015 Warriors before their point guard got hurt.
-> Post-prime, was the clear-cut defensive anchor on a toronto side that won a title and then contended without their best player on the back of an all-time defense: Said defense becomes all-time when he comes, and returns to mediocrity when he leaves. Team immediately turns from contender to fringe playoff team
-> Was correctly identified as the best defender in the league in 2013, and an all-time menace for opposing bigs(giannis, gasol) even post-prime
-> Was helping the Lakers post the best defense and rs record and srs in the league before injuries derailed their 2021 campaign

The comparisons that come to mind are are

already inducted Sam Cousy who
-> did not co-lead a team as close to winning as what Gasol led
-> did not show the same level impact post-prime on a winner

already getting inductee votes larry nance
-> did not co-lead a team as competitive as the grizzlies
-> never won
-> not as clear-cut of a defensive anchor

Bill Sharman
-> same as cousy except without the MVP

Gasol has yet to get a single nomination vote, I don't get it at all. Probably should have been inducted already tbh.

3. Iggy
A few years as the star(and defensive anchor) of playoff teams, and then post-injury played a key role for 3 championships and 6 final apperances over two teams. Since championship role-players are in vogue right now...

Also strong rapm for what it's worth.

4. Luka Donicic

Better peak than anyone left on the board besides Walton and argument for being the best in a vacuum. His longetivity is a knock but he was pretty much better than anyone here besides Bill in his second year in the league if not his first and while people may not be overly impressed by the round finishes and rs record, on a series to series basis, Luka's Mavs have done pretty well:

-> went toe to toe with "maybe win the title if kawhi is healthy" clippers with kawhi
-> beat "best record over the last 5 years" suns a year removed from their final run

Mavs have been a fringe contender with Luka in the playoffs and haven't been a good team without him in the regular season if you go by game instead of "few minutes without". If Walton is getting serious inductee consideration, Luka deserves some nomination love I think.

With Jones and Cousy getting some traction, i'll copy and paste some of the counterpoints offered in the #72 thread that I do not think have been satisfactorily addressed:

Skepticism on Sam Jones and Bob Cousy
Spoiler:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
As an era-relativist, I get irked when the only(or predominant) argument someone can come up with for one player over another is "tougher era".

I also take issue with "reasonably equivalent offensive production" when Sharman was significantly more efficient relative to his competition.

Ultimately though, my real gripe isn't that you might take Jones over Sharman(though I disagree with it), it's the fact that Sharman didn't make the Top 100 at all last time(or the time before that) while Jones made it both times. I just want to make sure Sharman is in the conversation because I don't see any argument for him not to make the list if Jones is in.

Or we can exclude both :D

Sam Jones does look better by WOWY, mostly by default:
In ’61, Sharman missed 18 games and the Celtics were (again) better without him.

This trend would hold throughout most of Russell’s career. In ’66, Sam Jones missed eight games and Boston’s performance didn’t budge. Jones missed 11 more contests in ’69 and the team was about 2 points worse without him. All told, as the roster cycled around Russell, his impact seemed to remain

I would have pause considering either for the top 100 simply because they were on championship teams. I also know some voters here have put stock into moonbeam's version of psuedo-rapm where Russell is the gold standard regularized and torches the field to a degree no one else across history does with his raw inputs(doubles 2nd place Wilt iirc over a certain stretch). Lots of emphasis on points and ts add on average offenses seems odd. Sam Jones defense has been praised but he is a guard and the defenses don't actually seem to care too much about whether he's there or not. 1969 is probably not fair since it's 6th man Sam Jones, but 1966 Sam Jones put up one of his highest point totals and fg percentages so if that version is not making a signficant impact, why is he being voted in here, let alone Sherman?

Honestly would be wierd to be putting more of Russell's teammates on this list than last time when we have a bunch of new evidence/argumentation suggesting Russell is more valuable individually than people were crediting him as the last go around and we have a bunch of new players to consider. Do these players actually warrant being considered over 100 other nba players?

Am pretty open to Cousy since he was post-prime with his own unimpressive signal and I assume he did something to earn the MVP but...
trex_8063 wrote:

Will first emphasize that your above comments appear to specifically delineate Cousy's post-prime. And I'll also acknowledge that the league/game progressed faster than Cousy did as a player.

That said, the limited/noisy impact metric from the very same source (Ben Taylor) reflects decently upon Cousy: his prime WOWYR is +4.4, career +3.9.

As always, when using these sorts of numbers I think it can be worthwhile to check what the sample here is. I don't know what exact years are factored into prime, but up until 1957, Cousy doesn't really miss time with the exception of 52 and 51 where the Celtics see a +1.3 SRS improvement when Cousy joins. I don't highlight that to criticize rookie Cousy, but rather to highlight a potential discrepancy:

With how WOWYR works(this is true in general when you take stretched singals vs concentrated ones but WOWYR's "adjustments" compound this considerably), that +3.9(and perhaps to a degree the +4.4) is disproportionately operating off that 1951 and 1952 wothout sample and transposing it as part of the off for all the other years(where cousy barely misses time) as well. Also note, unlike Moonbeam's version, the much larger sampled +1.3 mark is not factored in at all.

In other words, that score, mantained over a very small per-season sample, is likely significantly inflated by 9 games coming with a much weaker cast from Cousy's first two years.

I am also somewhat concerned with the lack of success in this pre-russell prime period where the team does not make a single final in a very weak league winnig a grand total of 4 series. The term "offensive dynasty" is thrown around for the Cousy years, but success on one side of the court is really not the point.

The Celtics having goat-level defenses is cool, but it matters to the degree it helped produce the most successful team ever, not because the goat defense isinofitself of extreme importance. Good on them for having the best offenses pre-Russell, but does it really matter if they weren't the all that close to being the best team?

eminence wrote:
On Cousy.

I think his early career WOWY signal is unfortunately impossible to pin down.

He/Macauley arrive in Boston at the same time, the league contracts from 17 to 10.5 teams, both the without and with samples have large gaps between their ratings/win% (in opposing directions). It all combines to make the '50 vs '51 Celtics comparison very difficult, though I think it's clear the two combine with Red to turn the franchise around (they were absolute garbage their first four seasons and turned into a consistent .500+/playoff squad).

He then misses a grand total of 1 RS game prior to '57.

Agreed that 'offensive dynasty' oversells the Celtics of the period (hey, sometimes we're all sellers). They were a decent to good team, built around a strong offense. Related - I believe they only won 3 series over that period (you may have counted the '54 round robin as two wins).

0-2 vs Knicks '51
1-2 vs Knicks '52
2-0 vs Nats '53
1-3 vs Knicks '53
2-2 '54 Round Robin (2-0 vs Knicks, 0-2 vs Nats)
0-2 vs Nats '54
2-1 vs Knicks '55
1-3 vs Nats '55
1-2 vs Nats '56

For comparison the other Eastern conference squads from '51-'56 (not counting tiebreakers).
Knicks 6 series wins
Nats 8 (counting the '54 round robin as 2 wins)
Warriors 2 (their '56 title)

A worse but healthier version of the Lob City Clippers.

My current sentiment on inclusion in the top 100 for both is Cousy as a maybe(entirely on the basis of him winning an MVP really), and Sam Jones as a no. The former does not have notable team-success in the "prime" we don't have substantial data for and Russell's Celtics play better without him in the post-period.

For the latter, we have a peak signal where the Celtics do not drop-off without him, a marginal bit of lift in the year he's a 6th man, and is his claim to fame is scoring prowess on an average offense with the possiblity that this is a result of scheme(which still only works if we assume Sam Jones had substantially better impact than what can be discerned statistically).

Possible he's just gotten unlucky with the games he's missed, but the evidence for Jones being top-100 worthy just isn't there I think.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 6,048

Post#14 » by falcolombardi » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:00 pm

Vote horace grant- high level play for a fairly long time and great fit on any team for his era context, added lot of value with few shots and possesions

Alt vote- walton, less familiar with the other players so i finally feel comfortable voting thw guy with best in the world tier impact with awful longevity and durability, 1 or 2 walton seasons are mvp seasons which are wildly valuable

Nomination- luka doncic, similar to walton but has done it for 5 years counting 2024 of being a mvp level player

Alt nomination- marc gasol, just a extremely valuable player who would fit in any team or era as a great secondary star
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:41 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:Well, first I want to say you make an interesting case WRT the ball control/turnover economy angle offsetting the scoring efficiency, and the RAPM in particular makes me think a bit, but I still am not sold.

To start with, I'd push back against "circa #90". This is thread #90, but if all the current players on the ballot get in, that gets us to #94. That leaves just six more spots. So the question is, do I think LMA has a better case than all but five of the remaining not-yet-nominated players? And the answer, for me, is no.

Don't know what to say. For me, the answer is yes. By my criteria, we're already overdue on Aldridge.

Even by my CORP valuations (admittedly, I haven't run every player through: I've done 83 players so far), Aldridge is 2nd-highest among all remaining non-inducted players (Dominique is 1st). Dan Issel is the only one sort of close to him. No other non-inducted player [that I've run, at least] is even remotely close. He ranks 54th of the 83 players I've run in my era and longevity-calibrated version.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
Win Shares

BPM

I would point out here that you specifically say in terms of "rate" metrics, but the all-time rankings you reference are not for the rate metrics(i.e. WS/48 and BPM).

Sorry, I meant to write "WS/48" as the header for the first one, but the point still applies either way: a player's total WS is directly related to his WS/48 [rate metric]. A player's VORP is directly related to his BPM [rate metric].
The gist of that was to point out: here are two metrics that don't even "like" [that is: place particularly high value on his style of play (the type and manner of box production that he accrues)] him........and yet in the cumulative accounting of those metrics, he still looks super-competitive for this stage of the list.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote: (Also, for VORP, you appear to have used the ranking from the NBA-only list as opposed to the NBA/ABA list - not sure if that was purposeful or a mistake).

No, I was looking at NBA/ABA combined (am looking at it right now, in fact): he presently sits #90 all-time in rs VORP, however Luka Doncic [just barely ahead of him] was NOT ahead as of 2023 (which is the end-point of consideration for this project).
Ergo, Aldridge is 89th all-time [or since 1973].

OldSchoolNoBull wrote: LMA ranks significantly lower on the rate metrics than on the cumulative ones. I've compiled lists for VORP, BMP, WS, and WS/48 that include LMA and a host of other players that are being considered for nominations at this point:

VORP
37 - Dominique
48 - Hill
57- Webber
61 - Mullin
73 - English
82 - Divac
88 - Issel
90 - LMA

So with VORP alone, there's seven players ahead him. When you look at BPM, LMA falls from #90 to #165 and now has 12 players of interest ahead of him.

BPM
46 - Tatum
50 - Webber
58 - Dominique
67 - Mullin
73 - Hill
77 - G.Williams
108 - Issel
111 - Divac
119 - McAdoo
128 - English
137 - Bosh
139 - Worthy
165 - LMA

For career win shares, LMA is at #58, with two players of interest ahead of him(including my guy Walker).

WS
25 - Issel
54 - Walker
58 - LMA

For for WS/48, LMA falls from #58 to #103 and now has seven players of interest ahead of him.

WS/48
43 - Issel
61 - Zelmo
69 - Walker
72 - Hawkins
85 - Bosh
102 - Tatum
103 - LMA

That's neat, though this type of rank-showing can be turned against most of the other guys listed (i.e. there will always be few/several of the other non-inducted ahead of them).

It's important to note the years played when looking at the rate ones, too, though. Will Tatum still look so hot when he's played 16 seasons [IF he plays 16 seasons]? Would some of the others have stayed ahead if they had played that long?

The cumulative ones are somewhat more relevant to my criteria, and perhaps to any criteria remotely based upon CORP principle or similar.
fwiw, I think we're overdue on some of the other players you list above. If I'm being frank, I think they've been displaced by less deserving candidates. But that's just my opinion, and that's the usual process with these projects.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:It's also worth nothing that most(not all) of the players I'm comparing LMA to here much more in the way of playoff team success - Issel, Gus Williams, Bosh, Worthy, Zelmo, Walker, Hawkins, McAdoo all have championships and addition Finals or Conference Finals appearances; Tatum and Mullin have a Finals and Conference Finals appearances; with one Conference Finals appearance, LMA is with Webber and English at the bottom of that particular list of these players(and the fact that LMA is a career -6.2 playoff on/of doesn't help his case there).

And yet in RAPM samples I showed [which include the playoffs], he still rated very well, year after year, and rates well in career points added.

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:

This jumped out at me because it's a pretty close statistical profile of Bosh - not exactly, but close - and while I'm not actively supporting Bosh, I'd take him over LMA. They're similar players in skillset, and they're even very close together on J.E.'s list - Bosh is #53 and LMA #56 - but Bosh has the hardware, and was maybe a little more versatile as a scorer. Interesting comparison, actually.

Exactly, that was my point in showing this: to demonstrate that his overall offensive efficiency is very comparable to someone like Chris Bosh [who was actually the very comparable PF I had in mind]. For whatever reason, posters tend to focus on shooting efficiency as the only measure of scoring efficiency......turnovers just don't seem to matter unless we're talking about PG's and/or primary play-makers.

But LMA has the best [literally THE best] career modified TOV% that I have yet identified for a big-man (Dirk is negligibly behind [basically equal]; Horace Grant is 3rd, fwiw, Al Horford and Anthony Davis basically tied for 4th). And that's pretty relevant.

And fwiw, Chris Bosh is one of the guys I think we're substantially overdue on. I'd nominated him several threads back, but gave up because he had no one else supporting him.
But actually, Dominique Wilkins and Chris Bosh are the two players I think we're the MOST overdue on. Those are the only two players I actually have in my personal top 80 who are not yet even on the ballot here at #90.

But Aldridge is the 3rd-highest rated [for me] of all non-inducted players; he is in my top 85, more or less adjacent to Horace Grant, who is the ONLY candidate we have here that I have any enthusiasm for.

trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by trex_8063 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:53 pm

Induction vote: Horace Grant
I like Grant's defense, offensive rebounding, GOAT-tier turnover economy, and soft floor-spacing he provides; and for a good long time. Meshed easily with several contenders in his career, his impact profile actually somewhat rivals his one-time teammate, Scottie Pippen. And he's "got the hardware", as one poster puts it.

Alternate vote: Cliff Hagan????
Honestly, I'm so thoroughly non-enthused by all the candidates except for Grant, that I almost didn't offer an alternate. I'd argued rather vociferously and at considerable length AGAINST Hagan several threads back (as he was nominated way too early, imo). But he feels like maybe the best of the rest within this particular class (sort of a poor man's Adrian Dantley).

If it comes to any runoff, I'm presently ranking them:
Grant > Hagan > Sharman > Walton > Cunningham (though all of those last four are reasonably close)

Nomination: Dominique Wilkins
Alt Nomination: Chris Bosh

Could flop these two, pending preferences of others.

As to Dominique, I know he had his playoff failings, but his WOWY profile (referenced in the #87 thread) is respectable for this stage of the list. He was often the ONLY notable scorer his team had, and obviously would then be the focal point of the opposing defense.
So I thus just cannot see how a guy who was even capable (through his talents and durability/longevity) of scoring >26k points in a very competitive era with mostly good shooting efficiency in his prime and a GOOD turnover economy (comparable to that of LeBron James and Ray Allen in mTOV%; BETTER THAN guys like Scottie Pippen, Latrell Sprewell, and Sidney Moncrief), and doing so while often at the helm of some of the best offenses in the league for a few years in the mid-late 80s....

....who was also a good offensive rebounder, and placed 53rd in MVP win shares [fwiw], and who looks competitive via PIPM wins added [see below].....
idk, the guy described belongs somewhere in the top 100, imo.

I'd also REALLY like to see guys like Chris Bosh, LaMarcus Aldridge, and Dan Issel gain some traction.

Looking at some of our candidates and other notable non-inducted players (and a few recent inductees) by PIPM career wins added (as I know it's a metric some have expressed significant confidence in or appreciation of).....

(Shawn Marion: 123.97)
Maurice Cheeks: 119.15
(Jack Sikma): 117.54
Terry Porter: 116.64
Horace Grant: 114.81
(Tony Parker: 113.50)
**Dan Issel: 67.54 (**9-year NBA career ONLY; pro-rated for all 15 seasons would come to 112.57 [though his ABA seasons are likely to be even MORE highly rated])
Chris Bosh: 111.58
LaMarcus Aldridge: 109.02
Dominique Wilkins: 105.11
(Al Horford): 88.24
Carmelo Anthony: 87.39
Chris Webber: 85.49
Chris Mullin: 84.82
Alex English: 82.41
(Sidney Moncrief: 78.53)
Bill Walton: 52.38

OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#17 » by OhayoKD » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:02 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Induction vote: Horace Grant
I like Grant's defense, offensive rebounding, GOAT-tier turnover economy,

Elaborate?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,662

Post#18 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:24 pm

Hey y'all, I'm back. :)

Reading people's thoughts, I see a lot of quality insight, but it's tough when you're this far along in the project. Even mild divergences in perspective lead to major changes of ordering this far out, and so a lot of times we're not in a situation where people can really be expected to be persuaded. I just appreciate the effort I see.

I expect I'll be supporting Hagan as a 1st or 2nd place vote from here on out. Totally get why his candidacy soured for people - and it made me re-evaluate some things - but what he did in those playoffs really pops for me in terms of a modern perimeter star, and I do think he was able to play in that style effectively for a good long run. I'd get it though if he didn't make the 100, to the point where it wouldn't even seem that interesting to me if not for the fact that he got successfully nominated so early in the process.

On the Nomination side, I suppose I'd say some of the same about Tatum, but I have to say I think the lack of enthusiasm for Tatum is something worth us chewing on together. I don't get the sense that anyone is saying "Tatum's just not a Top 100 type of guy" - meaning, once he has greater longevity people will happy enough to vote him in. But Tatum's longevity isn't actually that weak, and he's been super consistent within that span. I think clearly we can also point to the fact that Tatum isn't seen as in the conversation for best of his generation as holding him back, but the scale of that influence is the question.

I feel like the way these projects work, there's a "Yeah, that guy!" factor that Tatum lacks at present. He just doesn't capture our attention and captivate our imagination the way that guys with more clear "best in world" skills do.

Finally I'll shout out Bob Davies, who ranks highest on my list of all players not yet Inducted but who I will not commit to champion because I'm skeptical enough others could realistically be swayed to push him through. Happy to talk about him more though, and I will support him whenever he has enough traction.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#19 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:42 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Even by my CORP valuations (admittedly, I haven't run every player through: I've done 83 players so far), Aldridge is 2nd-highest among all remaining non-inducted players (Dominique is 1st). Dan Issel is the only one sort of close to him. No other non-inducted player [that I've run, at least] is even remotely close. He ranks 54th of the 83 players I've run in my era and longevity-calibrated version.

That's neat, though this type of rank-showing can be turned against most of the other guys listed (i.e. there will always be few/several of the other non-inducted ahead of them).

It's important to note the years played when looking at the rate ones, too, though. Will Tatum still look so hot when he's played 16 seasons [IF he plays 16 seasons]? Would some of the others have stayed ahead if they had played that long?

The cumulative ones are somewhat more relevant to my criteria, and perhaps to any criteria remotely based upon CORP principle or similar.
fwiw, I think we're overdue on some of the other players you list above. If I'm being frank, I think they've been displaced by less deserving candidates. But that's just my opinion, and that's the usual process with these projects.

I think some of our disagreement about LMA may be due to differences in methodology/criteria. You mention CORP. I have not studied CORP much - it's career over replacment player, right? - but my understanding is it rewards, among other things, high-level longevity. But at this stage in the project, I'm reluctant to reward high-level longevity over what I perceive as higher peaks. I think McAdoo, Dominique, and in era-relative terms Bob Davies all have higher peaks, and you could probably argue some others too - maybe Gus Williams or Alex English.

And then beyond that, you know I'm with you on Issel. And I'm still high on Walker and Mullin(though I'm starting to give up hope, nobody seems to care).

It's just a difference in how we're evaluating.

No, I was looking at NBA/ABA combined (am looking at it right now, in fact): he presently sits #90 all-time in rs VORP, however Luka Doncic [just barely ahead of him] was NOT ahead as of 2023 (which is the end-point of consideration for this project).
Ergo, Aldridge is 89th all-time [or since 1973].

I stand corrected.

And yet in RAPM samples I showed [which include the playoffs], he still rated very well, year after year, and rates well in career points added.

There was a chart posted in one of the project threads a while back that differentiated between career RS RAPM and career PO RAPM for I think every player in the databall era. I don't remember exactly what thread it was, but I wish I could find it. I'd be interested to know if there's a drop in LMA's RAPM RS->PO that correlates with the on/off.

Exactly, that was my point in showing this: to demonstrate that his overall offensive efficiency is very comparable to someone like Chris Bosh [who was actually the very comparable PF I had in mind]. For whatever reason, posters tend to focus on shooting efficiency as the only measure of scoring efficiency......turnovers just don't seem to matter unless we're talking about PG's and/or primary play-makers.

But LMA has the best [literally THE best] career modified TOV% that I have yet identified for a big-man (Dirk is negligibly behind [basically equal]; Horace Grant is 3rd, fwiw, Al Horford and Anthony Davis basically tied for 4th). And that's pretty relevant.

And fwiw, Chris Bosh is one of the guys I think we're substantially overdue on. I'd nominated him several threads back, but gave up because he had no one else supporting him.
But actually, Dominique Wilkins and Chris Bosh are the two players I think we're the MOST overdue on. Those are the only two players I actually have in my personal top 80 who are not yet even on the ballot here at #90.

But Aldridge is the 3rd-highest rated [for me] of all non-inducted players; he is in my top 85, more or less adjacent to Horace Grant, who is the ONLY candidate we have here that I have any enthusiasm for.

I am not as high on Bosh as you, but I would take him over LMA. Not just for the rings, but while both have good impact signals when leaving their original teams, Bosh's looks a bit better(particularly struck by the fact that in 2009-10 - his final year in Toronto - the Raptors won 40 games, Bosh missed 12 games, and they didn't win a single one without him).
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#20 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Hey y'all, I'm back. :)

Reading people's thoughts, I see a lot of quality insight, but it's tough when you're this far along in the project. Even mild divergences in perspective lead to major changes of ordering this far out, and so a lot of times we're not in a situation where people can really be expected to be persuaded. I just appreciate the effort I see.

I expect I'll be supporting Hagan as a 1st or 2nd place vote from here on out. Totally get why his candidacy soured for people - and it made me re-evaluate some things - but what he did in those playoffs really pops for me in terms of a modern perimeter star, and I do think he was able to play in that style effectively for a good long run. I'd get it though if he didn't make the 100, to the point where it wouldn't even seem that interesting to me if not for the fact that he got successfully nominated so early in the process.

On the Nomination side, I suppose I'd say some of the same about Tatum, but I have to say I think the lack of enthusiasm for Tatum is something worth us chewing on together. I don't get the sense that anyone is saying "Tatum's just not a Top 100 type of guy" - meaning, once he has greater longevity people will happy enough to vote him in. But Tatum's longevity isn't actually that weak, and he's been super consistent within that span. I think clearly we can also point to the fact that Tatum isn't seen as in the conversation for best of his generation as holding him back, but the scale of that influence is the question.

I feel like the way these projects work, there's a "Yeah, that guy!" factor that Tatum lacks at present. He just doesn't capture our attention and captivate our imagination the way that guys with more clear "best in world" skills do.

Finally I'll shout out Bob Davies, who ranks highest on my list of all players not yet Inducted but who I will not commit to champion because I'm skeptical enough others could realistically be swayed to push him through. Happy to talk about him more though, and I will support him whenever he has enough traction.

Welcome back.

I'd note that Tatum's longevity isn't just low, it's substantially lower than anyone else we're talking about at this point other than Walton and Luka(Tatum is nearly 7K total career minutes below the next guy), and Walton has an ATG peak and hardware to mitigate that that neither Tatum nor Luka have:

Issel - 41,784
Grant - 38,621
Dominique - 38,113
English - 38,063
Aldridge - 36,242
Hill - 34,776
Walker - 33,433
Mullin - 32,163
Bosh - 31,936
Webber - 30,847
Worthy - 30,001
McAdoo - 28,327
Cunningham - 26,844
Williams - 25,645
Hagan - 24,0274
Hawkins - 22,232
Sharman - 21,793
Tatum - 14,916(through 22-23)
Walton - 13,250
Luka - 11,319

I hope you continue to support Sharman. I feel like this could be his round.

Return to Player Comparisons