RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #95 (Gus Williams)

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,663

RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #95 (Gus Williams) 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:18 pm

Our system is now as follows:

1. We have a pool of Nominees you are to choose from for your Induction (main) vote to decide who next gets on the List. Choose your top vote, and if you'd like to, a second vote which will be used for runoff purposes if needed.

2. Nomination vote now works the same way.

3. You must include reasoning for each of your votes, though you may re-use your old words in a new post.

4. Post as much as they want, but when you do your official Vote make it really clear to me at the top of that post that that post is your Vote. And if you decide to change your vote before the votes are tallied, please edit that same Vote post.

5. Anyone may post thoughts, but please only make a Vote post if you're on the Voter list. If you'd like to be added to the project, please ask in the General Thread for the project. Note that you will not be added immediately to the project now. If you express an interest during the #2 thread, for example, the earliest you'll be added to the Voter list is for the #3.

5. I'll tally the votes when I wake up the morning after the Deadline (I don't care if you change things after the official Deadline, but once I tally, it's over). For this specific Vote, if people ask before the Deadline, I'll extend it.

Here's the list of the Voter Pool as it stands right now (and if I forgot anyone I approved, do let me know):

Spoiler:
AEnigma
Ambrose
ceilng raiser
ceoofkobefans
Clyde Frazier
Colbinii
cupcakesnake
Doctor MJ
Dooley
DQuinn1575
Dr Positivity
DraymondGold
Dutchball97
f4p
falcolombardi
Fundamentals21
Gibson22
HeartBreakKid
homecourtloss
iggymcfrack
LA Bird
JimmyFromNz
Joao Saraiva
lessthanjake
Lou Fan
Moonbeam
Narigo
OhayoKD
OldSchoolNoBull
penbeast0
Rishkar
rk2023
Samurai
ShaqAttac
Taj FTW
Tim Lehrbach
trelos6
trex_8063
ty 4191
WintaSoldier1
ZeppelinPage

Alright, the Nominees for you to choose among for the next slot on the list (in alphabetical order):

Bob Davies

Luka Doncic

Cliff Hagan

Dominique Wilkins

Gus Williams

As requested, here's the current list so far along with the historical spreadsheet of previous projects:

Current List
Historical Spreadsheet
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,872

Re: RealGM 2023 Top 100 Project - #95 (Deadline 4/23 5am PST) 

Post#2 » by eminence » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:26 pm

I think Nique will jump to 2nd on my ballot, though I need to think some more about he vs Gus. Hagan/Luka just don't have he longevity to compete here for me (prime for Hagan, total for Luka).
I bought a boat.
AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,497

Post#3 » by AEnigma » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 pm

VOTE: Gus Williams
Alternate: Luka Doncic

NOMINATE: James Worthy
AltNom: Chet Walker

AEnigma wrote:Hold Gus in high regard for his excellent postseason elevation, his strong impact profile, and his general trend of success. On one of the old projects, Ronnymac mentioned that the 1976 Warriors had an outlier opponent turnover percentage coinciding with rookie Gus’s emergence as a McMillan-esque bench disrupter. Couple that with the Warriors losing narrowly once Gus was unable to play, and although that rookie season ends up not worth much in a CORP sense, I appreciate the signal of his ability to affect the game early on and at reduced minutes.

To me he was at his peak the fifth best (not most accomplished) guard before the playmaker boom of the late 1980s. Dynamic in transition, flexible as either a lead creator or a dedicated scorer, and defensively feisty without being irresponsible. Lack of longevity will be a non-starter for many, but I encourage those more forgiving of that to give him serious consideration.

Giving an alternate to Luka because I feel he and Tatum should be pretty close together here, so will back him in the off chance other contenders emerge. He, Dominique, and Davies all have such radically different cases that I think any project ordering is internally justifiable among the three, but the latter two have no strong ties to any other induction the way Luka does to Tatum.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,796

Post#4 » by penbeast0 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:08 pm

vote Luka Doncic Short peak but very impressive stat line. Like Bob McAdoo but without the later career issues.

Alt vote Bob Davies: Arguable best player in league even though that league was very limited.

Nomination: Mel Daniels: Best player on a multiple championship team and a 2 time ABA MVP. It was a weak league but probably stronger than the one Bob Davies excelled in.

Most similar modern player would be Alonzo Mourning with better rebounding but without the great shotblocking. Both became greats through sheer aggression and a willingness to fight you every inch of every possession.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,005

Post#5 » by OhayoKD » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:49 am

Vote

1. Luka Donicic

Best player left, strong impact profile over larger samples, paticularly with playoff elevation, best era. on the shortlist of most talented players ever

2. Gus Williams

Nomination

1. Marc Gasol

He seems to have some legitimate prospects now, so I'll start a more concentrated push. First some data:

2010-18: +1.2 net rating / 47-win pace with,

-5.3 net rating / 31-win pace without

As a lead, Gasol led good teams, and even an arguable contender with the 2015 Grizzlies posting impact significantly better than multiple players who have been voted ahead of him peaking as the best paint-protector and, at least arguably, defender in the league.

As a supplementary piece, Gasol anchored one of the best playoff defenses en route to a title and a great 2-season defense that contended even without a certain Kawhi Leonard(#35). When he left, so did the concept of Toronto as a strong defense, and consequently, as a relevant team. 

To put it simply, he was more proven as a lead than Bosh or Worthy, and as a supplementary figure he excelled post-prime with minimal opportunity.

I also think it's notable that Toronto never really showed the ability to withstand Gasol's absence in a playoff setting being way worse before and way worse after. The Lakers were able to win 2 conference final games and make the finals with worthy as a non-factor. Similarly, the Heat won a series against a decent opponent without Bosh and won in spite of him missing half the playoffs.

All considered, I think he's the best candidate left.

2. James Worthy

Would prefer to vote for gasol but may swap depending on who gets support.

Some arguments:
Spoiler:
OldSchoolNoBull wrote:
And he was 20-16 without Magic in those years; 29-24 without Magic for his whole career until Magic's retirement.

Not really as proven as Gasol as a lead, but of "successful supporting stars" he is the most successful, achieved that success sometimes as the second most influential piece, and showed he could at least tread-water and mantain his production as his team's central piece.
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
eminence
RealGM

Post#6 » by eminence » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:04 am

Any comment on Mike Conley outperforming Marc Gasol by pretty much any impact measure (including the one you've shown) over the same time period?
I bought a boat.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#7 » by AEnigma » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:06 pm

eminence wrote:Any comment on Mike Conley outperforming Marc Gasol by pretty much any impact measure (including the one you've shown) over the same time period?

Marc’s Memphis net rating WOWY is higher by a point, which intuitively tracks for me. Win percentage, which I know you prefer, looks pretty equal in Memphis (also around 31-wins to 47 wins), so I would assume the career marks there do favour Conley.

A lot of Conley’s early non-WOWY impact values seem rotationally inflated; over-indexing on them to advocate for Conley seems to me, to use a more extreme example, in the same line of thought as using them as a case for Rashard Lewis over Dwight Howard. If we want to say a season like 2015 could go either way between Conley and Marc fair enough, but most plus/minus impact measures I have seen prefer Conley by a distance in 2013, and that is completely untenable in my eyes.

(For what little it is worth, playoff on/off in Memphis favours Marc too, although the degree of separation is minor, the sample is small, and their post-Memphis trends go the opposite way.)

I like Conley, but I am skeptical that he has more than one year in that low-end all-NBA range, whereas I think someone like Jrue (also a champion, arguably as the team’s true #2) has a few years at that level, and then someone like Baron Davis has multiple years and ran his own team as a star throughout them all.
eminence
RealGM

Post#8 » by eminence » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:27 pm

AEnigma wrote:
eminence wrote:Any comment on Mike Conley outperforming Marc Gasol by pretty much any impact measure (including the one you've shown) over the same time period?

Marc’s Memphis net rating WOWY is higher by a point, which intuitively tracks for me. Win percentage, which I know you prefer, looks pretty equal in Memphis (also around 31-wins to 47 wins), so I would assume the career marks there do favour Conley.

A lot of Conley’s early non-WOWY impact values seem rotationally inflated; over-indexing on them to advocate for Conley seems to me, to use a more extreme example, in the same line of thought as using them as a case for Rashard Lewis over Dwight Howard. If we want to say a season like 2015 could go either way between Conley and Marc fair enough, but most plus/minus impact measures I have seen prefer Conley by a distance in 2013, and that is completely untenable in my eyes.

(For what little it is worth, playoff on/off in Memphis favours Marc too, although the degree of separation is minor, the sample is small, and their post-Memphis trends go the opposite way.)

I like Conley, but I am skeptical that he has more than one year in that low-end all-NBA range, whereas I think someone like Jrue (also a champion, arguably as the team’s true #2) has a few years at that level, and then someone like Baron Davis has multiple years and ran his own team as a star throughout them all.

Where are you getting that from?

Per statmuse and my own calculations it's reversed, approximately a WOWY NET point in favor of Conley. (for both the '10-'18 Ohayo used and the '09-'19 full period). Marc seeing about a +5 swing, and Mike about a +6 for the full '09-'19 (~6.5 vs ~7.5 for '10-'18). For reference the win rate swing being 31 to 47 for Marc and 29 to 49 for Mike ('10-'18).

Edit: I prefer Jrue over either for whatever it's worth. Though Bosh will remain my top 'modern' pick.

If we switch to '10-'17 for the Grizz 'competitive' period then it favors Gasol. (+6 vs +4). But Gasol leading a worst in the league level team in his only real season without Conley in what seems like late prime is noteworthy to me.
I bought a boat.
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#9 » by AEnigma » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:00 pm

eminence wrote:
AEnigma wrote:

Where are you getting that from?

Per statmuse and my own calculations it's reversed, approximately a WOWY NET point in favor of Conley. (for both the '10-'18 Ohayo used and the '09-'19 full period). Marc seeing about a +5 swing, and Mike about a +6 for the full '09-'19 (~6.5 vs ~7.5 for '10-'18). For reference the win rate swing being 31 to 47 for Marc and 29 to 49 for Mike ('10-'18). If we switch to '10-'17 for the Grizz 'competitive' period then it favors Gasol. (+6 vs +4).

That was my bad, I forgot that Conley was directly replaced with Morant in 2020.

But Gasol leading a worst in the league level team in his only real season without Conley in what seems like late prime is noteworthy to me.

Moderately overstated because Memphis Marc won 45.9% of games he played without Conley… but then Memphis Conley won 49.3% of games he played without Marc. Uneven samples — Marc was at a 66% win rate without Conley prior to 2018, which is also the roster I would mark as by far the worst since at least 2009 — so again realistically would call it a wash, but I suppose when everything does point more strongly to Conley over an extended period, maybe I have been giving Conley too little credit by not acknowledging them as general equals.

I definitely would not index too strongly on 2018 though. Not only did the 2017 team effectively lose Conley, it also lost Zach Randolph, Tony Allen, Vince Carter… hardly Marc’s fault that the team tanked down four of its other top five rotation players, and with the remaining one missing an additional twenty games.
eminence
RealGM

Post#10 » by eminence » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:58 pm

I can see a fairly strong 'in a vacuum' argument for Gasol over Conley. The majority of the time I prefer the shape of his play over Conley when I'm imagining building a winning team. But they played on a team with Z-Bo as the #3 so Conley as the most unique of the 3 may have been advantaged in various impact measures (as evidenced below by him having the best success in duos of the 3 and playing the fewest solo minutes). I wind up with Conley with having the edge as the top player of those Grizzlies and have preferred avoiding more hypothetical arguments in the project this go around.

2010-17 RS on-off Net ratings for combos of the Grizz 3 (per pbpstats.com)
Mike/Marc/Zach: 9198 minutes, +6.6 Net
Mike/Marc: 5145 minutes, +2.6 Net
None: 3853 minutes, -5.8 Net
Mike/Zach: 3418 minutes, +1.5 Net
Zach: 3187 minutes, -0.9 Net
Marc: 2733 minutes, -2.0 Net
Marc/Zach: 2127 minutes, -2.8 Net
Mike: 1334 minutes, +3.8 Net
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,663

Post#11 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:39 pm

Okay, just looking to get us thinking, perhaps one last time, about guys who aren't in yet but were in the past, here's a list of them ordered by their relevant debut:

Neil Johnston
Cliff Hagan
Hal Greer
Lenny Wilkens
Walt Bellamy
Dave DeBusschere
Chet Walker
Jerry Lucas
Dave Bing
Connie Hawkins

Mel Daniels
Earl Monroe
Bob Dandridge
Spencer Haywood
Pete Maravich
Tiny Archibald
Dan Issel
George McGinnis
Bob McAdoo
Gus Williams

David Thompson
Alex English
Dennis Johnson
Marques Johnson
Bernard King
Mo Cheeks
Bill Laimbeer
Mark Aguirre
Fat Lever
Dominique Wilkins

James Worthy
Joe Dumars
Chris Mullin
Jeff Hornacek
Mark Price
Brad Daugherty
Mitch Richmond
Drazen Petrovic
Tim Hardaway
Mookie Blaylock

Vlade Divac
Shawn Kemp
Penny Hardaway
Chris Webber
Grant Hill
Arvydas Sabonis
Elton Brand
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Deron Williams
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
f4p
Pro Prospect
And1: 938

Post#12 » by f4p » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:10 pm

Vote: Luka Doncic

Has possibly the 3 best playoff series of anybody in the nomination group (if I scale down the 1958 Finals for era concerns), and probably of almost everybody in the last 20 spots. He's just another tier up from Tatum in the playoffs and there isn't enough of a longevity difference, especially since Tatum's first couple of years weren't anything to write home about. Concerns about his impact but I didn't think those Clippers series should have gone as long as they did (and Kawhi needed an amazing Game 7 to counter Luka's Game 7) and his punking of the Suns was the kind of thing that you hardly see outside of the all-time Top 10.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager
And1: 3,803

Post#13 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Okay, just looking to get us thinking, perhaps one last time, about guys who aren't in yet but were in the past, here's a list of them ordered by their relevant debut:

Neil Johnston
Cliff Hagan
Hal Greer
Lenny Wilkens
Walt Bellamy
Dave DeBusschere
Chet Walker
Jerry Lucas
Dave Bing
Connie Hawkins

Mel Daniels
Earl Monroe
Bob Dandridge
Spencer Haywood
Pete Maravich
Tiny Archibald
Dan Issel
George McGinnis
Bob McAdoo
Gus Williams

David Thompson
Alex English
Dennis Johnson
Marques Johnson
Bernard King
Mo Cheeks
Bill Laimbeer
Mark Aguirre
Fat Lever
Dominique Wilkins

James Worthy
Joe Dumars
Chris Mullin
Jeff Hornacek
Mark Price
Brad Daugherty
Mitch Richmond
Drazen Petrovic
Tim Hardaway
Mookie Blaylock

Vlade Divac
Shawn Kemp
Penny Hardaway
Chris Webber
Grant Hill
Arvydas Sabonis
Elton Brand
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Deron Williams

FWIW, I think we should keep accepting nominations all the way up through #99, so that everyone has every chance to squeak in.

But everyone here by now knows I support Walker, Mullin, Worthy, Issel, McAdoo, Gus, Hagan at least, of those who haven't been nominated, and I'd certainly take some of the above over some of those who have been inducted already...I'd take Bosh, Webber, Dominique, Hawk, over Gobert/Horford/Marion/Nance/Sikma and maybe even Parker.
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#14 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:42 pm

Gus v. Luka

Longevity:
Gus: 25,645,
Luka: 11,319(through 22-23)

Even if you only take Gus's prime years in Seattle, his total minutes are 16,262, a nearly 5K gap over Luka.

W/L WOWY:
Williams:
With: 290-187 .608
Without: 41-56 .423
(18.5% gap)
(And yes, I think the contract holdout season is absolutely fair game, especially when taking into consideration the 1985 dropoff as well)

Luka:
With: 181-149 .548
Without: 27-36 .429
(11.9% gap)

Achievement Gap:

Williams was #1/#1B on a championship team and went to two Finals; Luka has only been to the WCF.

It can be credibly argued that Gus has a longevity, WOWY, and achievement advantage over Luka.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,608

Post#15 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:17 pm

Vote 1  - Gus Williams
Vote 2 - Dominique Wilkins
Nomination 1 - Carmelo Anthony 
Nomination 2 - James Worthy

Gus
I'd like it if he had a longer prime, but pretty impressed with his play from '78-'86, which included a great championship run in '79.

Playoffs - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SEA/1979.html

Finals - https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/1979-nba-finals-supersonics-vs-bullets.html

His production in the playoffs also increased relative to the reg season.

Melo
While accolades aren't everything, Carmelo was recognized for his stellar play throughout his prime:

- 6x All NBA (2x 2nd, 4x 3rd)
- Finished 3rd and 6th in MVP voting

He also ranks 10th all time in total career points.

Below are players already voted in in Melo’s VORP and Win Shares range. I left out older players who had some seasons before VORP was calculated since it's cumulative:

VORP
Dwight Howard 38.97
Rasheed Wallace 38.36
Kevin Johnson 37.27
Jack Sikma 37.02
Carmelo Anthony 36.71
Ben Wallace 36.15
Kevin McHale 34.29
Dikembe Mutombo 33.86
Sidney Moncrief 33.14
Tony Parker 30.13
Alonzo Mourning 27.45
Dennis Rodman 21

Win Shares
Paul Arizin 108.8
Carmelo Anthony 108.52
Manu Ginobili 106.4
Rasheed Wallace 105.09
Rudy Gobert 104.65
Kawhi Leonard 99.16
Allen Iverson 98.97
Tracy McGrady 97.27
Ben Wallace 93.51
Kevin Johnson 92.77
Sam Jones 92.29
Bob Cousy 91.11
Sidney Moncrief 90.32
Dennis Rodman 89.83
Alonzo Mourning 89.74
Dave Cowens 86.32
Isiah Thomas 80.69

Peak carmelo developed into a very good offensive player. The “iso melo” narrative was overstated in his best seasons. This coincided with having a decent PG rotation to keep the ball moving (a little different, but billups certainly got the best out of him in denver). He became one of the better off ball players in 12-13, actually shooting more efficiently and on higher volume than durant in catch and shoot situations. His transition to a good volume 3PT shooter also opened up his game, and he stepped into transition 3s about as well as anyone in the league.

He’s obviously known for his post up and face up game, but not acknowledged as much for being a great offensive rebounder for his position. He had a deceptively quick second jump and soft touch around the rim for put backs. He also possessed a unique rolling spin move to the hoop which created a lot of space on his drives. The one thing he was really average at is finishing at the rim, and i’d say that partially has to do with him not being able to take advantage of the way the game is called these days. He wasn’t a freak show athlete like lebron, and he didn't have those long strides like durant/harden where they know the angles and draw fouls easily.

I'd also point out that while melo's transition to a role player was a bit rocky, he didn't call it quits like iverson when asked to come off the bench. You could make the argument that he was scapegoated in houston (to be clear, no conspiracy theories here about him getting blackballed -- that was just dumb). There's some revisionist history there as he did what he was told. Then his first year in in portland he did exactly what you'd want from a role player in year 17: 38.5% from 3 on 3.9 attempts per game, posting a positive net rating and on/off along with being a great teammate.

As I noted earlier, melo's best years came when he had decent PG play around him. Knicks management largely failed him in this regard post 2013. In 12-13, a merely average PG rotation of felton, kidd and prigioni was quite beneficial to him. In 13-14 felton was out of shape and kidd retired. After that:

14-15: Shane Larkin, Langston Galloway, 37 yr old Prigioni, 33 yr old Calderon

15-16: Langston Galloway, rookie Jerian Grant, 34 yr old Calderon — this PG rotation was so poor that Carmelo ended up leading the team in APG and just about equaled Calderon in AST%

16-17: Rose, Jennings, rookie Ron Baker

Jennings was really the one penetrate and dish PG the knicks had in those 3 seasons.  He even seemed to buy in to the fact that he couldn't shoot and really got everyone involved.  Of course, he had rose starting in front of him, so his time on the floor with melo was limited.  He was used more in bench lineups that actually thrived, relatively speaking.

In an era where dynamic PG play is paramount, knicks management abhorrently ignored the position.  I don’t think you can find such ineptitude in a front office with playoff aspirations outside of the cousins-era kings.  

Then we get to the clutch play.  82games.com looked at shot data from '04-'09 in the regular season + '04-'08 in the post season.  Carmelo was 6th in the league in game winners, but #1 in the league by far in FG% on game winners at 48.1%:

http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

By 2011, he already had enough game winners to choose from to create a top 10 for his career:

For clutch data from 2000-2012, carmelo was 7th in the league in FG%, and 50% of his FGs were assisted, which is interesting to note for being criticized for holding the ball too long.

http://bit.ly/1wnySdJ

[I’d obviously prefer eFG% or TS% for these figures, but they weren’t available here]

Carmelo gets a decent amount of flack for his playoff resume, and I think it’s a little overstated, so I’d like to provide some context for each season.  It also seems to get pushed aside that making the playoffs 10 seasons in a row is no big deal or something, especially when the majority of them came out west.  Below is carmelo’s team SRS rank and the opponent’s SRS rank that he lost to in the playoffs in his prime.

CARMELO SRS RANK / OPPONENT SRS RANK
'04 - 11th / 2nd
'05 - 10th / 1st (eventual NBA champion spurs)
'06 - 15th / 9th
'07 - 9th / 1st (eventual NBA champion spurs)
'08 - 11th / 2nd
'09 - 8th / 3rd (eventual NBA champion lakers)
'10 - 8th / 3rd
'11 - 15th / 6th
'12 - 11th / 4th (eventual NBA champion heat)
'13 - 7th / 9th

Aside from 2013, the team he lost to has always been favored in SRS, with 4 of the 10 series losses coming to the eventual NBA champs.  To me, this doesn’t reflect a player who’s come up short when he’s been expected to go farther in the playoffs.  You can make the argument that if he was a better player, he may have been favored in more series, but that only goes so far.  

Some details on his later playoff appearances:

'09 - This run to the WCF almost gets glossed over at times.  Nuggets were 2 wins away from the finals, losing to the eventual NBA champion lakers, who were just flat out the better team. He had some great performances during that run.

'11 -  Billups gets hurt in game 1 against boston (out for rest of series), then amare gets hurt in game 2 only playing 17 min.  First 2 games are decided by 2 and 3 points respectively.  

Tony douglas forced to play PG for the rest of the series, basically putting it out of reach.

'12 - Disastrous number of injuries.  Tyson chandler finishes off a DPOY season, and of course gets the flu as soon as the playoffs start.  Lin doesn’t come back for the playoffs, shumpert and douglas only play 1 game a piece, baron davis eventually goes down, and the knicks are only left with 33 yr old mike bibby to run the point, who already had 1 foot in retirement.

'13 - First time since carmelo came to the knicks that they really looked like a team who could make a run to the finals.  PG play was always an issue prior to this season, and felton came up big in the 1st round against boston.  Ball movement flowing with kidd and prigioni as well.  Then in the 2nd round against indiana, chandler again doesn’t look himself, which would later be revealed that he had an “undisclosed illness” during the series.  I think there’s a good chance they beat the pacers with a healthy chandler, and who knows what happens from there.

Here are the best players carmelo’s played with in his prime: andre miller (first few seasons of carmelo's career), kenyon martin (often injured), post 30s iverson, camby (often injured), JR smith, nene (often injured), billups, afflalo, amare (often injured), tyson chandler (often injured), kidd in his last season, in shape felton and porzingis' rookie/soph year.  

Outside of iverson, that’s a collection of good players, but nothing that screams "consistent second option", or even "consistent first option" if you want to push carmelo down a notch.  Porzingis and carmelo actually had great chemistry until rose came along, but their timelines unfortunately didn't match up.  Fit is clearly important, too, and while iverson and carmelo never had "problems" with each other, it wasn't working.  It’s not an accident that carmelo’s best seasons came with billups running the show in 2009 and a knicks team in 2013 which focused heavily on keeping the ball moving and quick decision making.

When he made it to OKC with westbrook and george it was just too little too late. Not denying the growing pains, but he was in year 15 and not the same player since his knee surgery. Took him time to adjust his game to a true role player like he did with the blazers and the lakers. 
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,313

Post#16 » by trex_8063 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:01 pm

Induction vote: Dominique Wilkins (finally!)

For me he's so far ahead of all the other nominees that.......well, it's just a silly margin for me. I know he's never been a darling of this forum, yet still I'm a bit surprised it took this long to even get him on a ballot.

I'm going to start with a super-basic argument: points. He scored 26,668 of them, in a very competitive era.

I know many of you smirk and shrug and say "So what? There's more to basketball than scoring." [very true] And "the highest scorer isn't always the best player" [also true]; and "helping your team win is what matters." [he did; more on this below]

But I nonetheless want to highlight that point total......because there are relatively few players in basketball history who had/have both the skillset and durability to ever reach such a total (in ANY hypothetical situation, much less one in which he is [usually] helping his team [more on this below]).

Indeed, in reality only 16 other players have ever reached such an amount.
Take a moment to consider all the other players already inducted [often LONG ago], whose primary value arguably
came from scoring [usually, mostly], and yet still never topped [nor ever will] what Dominique managed......

George Gervin
Reggie Miller
Kawhi Leonard
Paul Pierce
John Havlicek
James Harden
Vince Carter
Alex English
Adrian Dantley
Rick Barry
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson
Jerry West
Dolph Schayes
Charles Barkley
Kevin McHale
Paul Arizin
Chauncey Billups
Walt Frazier
Pau Gasol
Bob Pettit
Ray Allen
Dwyane Wade
Russell Westbrook
Clyde Drexler
Elgin Baylor
Tony Parker
Paul George
Bill Sharman
Billy Cunningham
Sam Jones

.....I mean, it's like a third of the list. Guys who were partially/mostly noteworthy because they were scorers.
None of them scored as many points as Nique (though Harden likely will, and Westbrook might [barely] before he's done).

It is a frankly uncommon to score >26.6k points. Not many are even capable of doing so.

"But he wasn't very efficient."
He's a -32.8 TS Add for his career, after all.

True, though for his prime ['86-'94] (which is seemingly/supposedly all that matters for many other posters, who are less "meaningful longevity"-motivated than me), he was +273.7 TS Add.
That's an average of +30.4 per year in that 9-year period, peaking at a VERY respectable +126.1 (has two other years >+70).

About 70% of his career points came within that 9-year period: 18,618 points, to be precise. That total alone would place him #74 all-time (and with >270 TS Add).

Although not ALL of the following were primarily just scorers, I'm going to show you which inductees' CAREER totals are exceeded by that 18,618 (and always will be exceed by it, for active players [not even including Giannis, Jokic, George, or Tatum, since they'll likely surpass it])......

Bill Russell (#4)
Magic Johnson (#10)
Steve Nash (#24)
Kawhi Leonard (#34) (*yes: he will likely not even surpass Nique's PRIME total)
Walt Frazier (#35)
Jason Kidd (#38)
Manu Ginobili (#39)
Anthony Davis (#42)
Kevin McHale (#48)
Jimmy Butler (#52)
Paul Arizin (#56)
Dave Cowens (#57)
Alonzo Mourning (#60)
Nate Thurmond (#61)
Chauncey Billups (#66)
Tracy McGrady (#69)
Rasheed Wallace (#74)
Kyle Lowry (#76)
Rudy Gobert (#77)
Bob Cousy (#79)
Sam Jones (#82)
Larry Nance (#83)
Kevin Johnson (#85)
Shawn Marion (#87)
Jack Sikma (#88)
Al Horford (#89)
Bill Sharman (#90)
Horace Grant (#92)
Billy Cunningham (#93)

......So literally ~30% of our already-inducted players scored fewer points than Nique did in his prime alone (in which he was >270 TS Add).

Let us look also at his ball-control (so often ignored when scrutinizing efficiency) by my Modified TOV% (which takes into account play-making [for others] volume).....

Nique is a career 7.84% (he's 7.31% in that 9-year prime).
Just for some comparisons of other mostly/partly-SF players (focusing mostly on guys who were at least once in awhile offensive centerpieces [though including some 2nd/3rd options I have on file], and trying to include several contemporaries, too) [career rs figures, fwiw]......

Kawhi Leonard - 6.41%
Vince Carter - 6.84%
Tracy McGrady - 6.85%
Eddie Jones - 7.18%
Shawn Marion - 7.42%
Alex English - 7.80%
Dominique Wilkins - 7.84%
Clyde Drexler - 7.87%
Larry Bird - 7.88%
Kyle Korver - 7.92%
LeBron James - 7.94%
James Worthy - 8.03%
Carmelo Anthony - 8.16%
Richard Jefferson - 8.53%
Sean Elliot - 8.62%
Grant Hill - 8.73%
Mark Aguirre - 8.80%
Kevin Durant - 8.89%
Latrell Sprewell - 8.97%
Scottie Pippen - 9.17%
Paul Pierce - 9.28%
George Gervin [minus '77] - 9.36%
Adrian Dantley [minus '77] - 9.46%
Julius Erving [minus '77] - 9.61%
Jerry Stackhouse - 10.16%
Bernard King - 10.27%
Derrick McKey - 10.41%

.....in short: Nique took pretty good care of the ball.

He was also a very good offensive rebounding SF, fwiw.
And did all of this positively effect his team?...........

Atlanta Hawks rORtg and league rank during Nique’s prime
‘86: +0.7 rORTG (11th/23)
‘87: +4.3 rORTG (4th/23)
‘88: +3.3 rORTG (5th/23)
‘89: +4.4 rORTG (4th/25)
‘90: +4.9 rORTG (4th/27)
‘91: +3.0 rORTG (8th/27)
‘92: -0.9 rORTG (16th/27)*
*Important to note Nique missed 40 games this^^^ year. They were +0.8 rORTG in the 42 games he played, -2.6 rORTG in the 40 he missed.
‘93: +1.3 rORTG (10th/27)
‘94 (Nique traded late season): +0.9 rORTG (12th/27)

So over the 8-year span [where he was a part of the team for the full season, in his prime], they AVERAGED a +2.63 rORTG. If, for '92 [where he missed half the season], we use the rORTG they had when he played, they averaged a +2.84 rORTG. Again, that's over an EIGHT YEAR span.
In that 5-year [peri-peak] period of '87-'91, they averaged a fairly elite +3.98 rORTG.

And let's just look at who his primary supporting cast was---in descending order of playing time---for that 5-year stretch in which they were >/= +3.0 rORTG every single year.....
'87: Kevin Willis, Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak
'88: Doc Rivers, Randy Wittman, Cliff Levingston, Kevin Willis, Tree Rollins, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb, John Battle
'89: [late prime/early post-prime] Moses Malone, Reggie Theus, Doc Rivers, Cliff Levingston, John Battle, Jon Koncak, Antoine Carr, Spud Webb
'90: Moses Malone (post-prime), Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Cliff Levingston, Doc Rivers, John Battle
'91: Doc Rivers, Kevin Willis, Spud Webb, Jon Koncak, Moses Malone (35 yrs old, very post-prime), John Battle

In the other prime years it's even less impressive:
'86: Randy Wittman, Kevin Willis, Cliff Levingston, Tree Rollins, Jon Koncak, Doc Rivers, Spud Webb
'92: Kevin Willis, Stacey Augmon, Rumeal Robinson, Blair Rasmussen, Paul Graham, Duane Ferrell, Alexander Volkov
'93: Kevin Willis, Mookie Blaylock, Stacey Augmon, Jon Koncak, Duane Ferrell, Adam Keefe, Paul Graham

Yet they kept having above average offenses.......as long as Dominique played.

He's a notable playoff faller. This is a valid criticism, though I would point out two things:
1) We're at #95 here. NOBODY is without warts at this point.
2) Look again at the casts above. Who the hell else is the opposing (generally good) defense going to game-plan about stopping? Kevin Willis?.....the guy with a career 0.9 apg and career TS Add of -254.8, who never once averaged 20 ppg, and with a below average [for a big-man] mTOV%? Doc Rivers? A good offensive player, to be sure, but not exactly someone who strikes fear into the heart of an opponent. And after that it quickly degrades into names like Randy Wittman and Jon Koncak.

Come on; defenses could preferentially laser-focus on Dominique because there was no McHale/Parish, Pippen/Grant/Armstrong, Dumars/Laimbeer/Aguirre, Worthy/Scott/(Kareem), Daugherty/Nance, Mullin/Richmond, Porter/Kersey, etc level ancillary cast to speak of. Ever.

I don't mean that as an excuse, but some context.
Was Dominique the level of offensive player who could "carry the load' in the playoffs with no help at all? No. Few players are.

And for as much as we say Nique failed in the playoffs, in his prime he averaged: 28.0 pts @ 50.9% TS, 6.4 rpg, 2.9 apg, with 7.45% mTOV%. He wasn't laying a giant goose egg every single night. Averaging 28 pts on very good [near-elite] wing turnover economy is not a "crapping the bed" average, when the defense is singularly focused on you.

I'll also throw in this:
Dominique Wilkins with/without records in prime
‘86: 49-29 (.628) with, 1-3 (.250) without
‘87: 56-23 (.709) with, 1-2 (.333) without
‘88: 48-30 (.615) with, 2-2 (.500) without
‘89: 51-29 (.638) with, 1-1 (.500) without
‘90: 39-41 (.488) with, 2-0 without
‘91: 43-38 (.531) with, 0-1 without
‘92: 22-20 (.524) with, 16-24 (.400) without
‘93: 39-32 (.549) with, 4-7 (.364) without
‘94: 42-32 (.568) with, 4-5 (.444) without
TOTAL: 389-274 (.587)---on pace for 48.1 wins---with him; 31-45 (.408)---on pace for 33.5 wins---without him. Avg +14.7 wins added. (or as OldSchoolNoBull puts it: +17.9% change to win%)

For me, Nique is such an easy inclusion on the list. Really hope he makes it.

Alternate vote: TBD
I had Luka there, but I honestly don't feel strongly between him and Gus Williams; and as it seems like it's coming down to those two, I don't want my wishy washy alternate vote to be the deciding factor--->it should be decided by people who actually have a strong opinion between them.
If Bob Davies suddenly starts making a run at the induction, maybe I'll make a call on one of Luka/Gus to better ensure Davies doesn't take it. Sorry if that seems strategic to a sinister degree, but he's the only candidate I feel strongly against here.

Nomination: Chris Bosh!
Alternate nomination: LaMarcus Aldridge

Aldridge:
GOAT-tier big-man turnover economy (might be THE GOAT in this). Top 60 all-time in career rs Win Shares (despite this being a stat that doesn't really "like" his play style or box profile), fairly consistently pegged somewhere between All-NBA level and fringe All-Star throughout his [decent length] prime. All of this in a very competitive era.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
OldSchoolNoBull
General Manager

Post#17 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:37 am

trex_8063 wrote:Alternate vote: Luka Doncic (for now, though thinking about Gus)
For some of the same reasonings (how many people are capable of what he does?).

Think more. I listed three ways above in which Gus has an advantage...what you refer to as "meaningful longevity"(his Seattle years alone are nearly 5K more than Luka's career through 22-23), a fairly significant WOWY W/L advantage, and playoff winning. He is the only post-merger player who could be argued as a #1 on a championship team who hasn't been inducted yet.
trelos6
Junior
And1: 151

Post#18 » by trelos6 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:40 am

Vote: Gus Williams

His job was a lead guard, and he was pretty good at it for 7 seasons. Wasn’t the most efficient scorer, but in the playoffs, he got his volume up to 25/26 pp75 on around league average rTS%. I have him over guys like Carmelo and Dominique due to his playmaking. Those guys were also 30 pp75 on league average or slightly worse, but were not the playmakers of Williams calibre.

Alt. Vote: Bob Davies

He wasn't in my short listed pool of 160 odd players I initially ranked, but after some support in the last 10-15 threads, I've done some deep dives and I'm happy to have him in the 90’s. I'd give him 4 years at an ALL NBA level, with another 3 at an ALL STAR level. This is enough longevity to get him over the pack.

Nomination: Terry Porter

For 3 post season runs, Porter was the 1B to Drexler. A very efficient scorer, who ran the team well.

Alt nomination: Neil Johnston

I get it, today he wouldn’t be in the league. But in his time, he was dominant. 5 weak MVP level seasons amongst his peers.
penbeast0
And1: 8,796

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:15 pm

Is Neil Johnston more worthy than Bob McAdoo? Similarly dominant offensive numbers for similar duration prime with a less than dominant defensive reputation in a stronger league. I keep thinking about McAdoo but don't want to nominate him, but I think he's a little more worthy than Neil Johnston.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
eminence
RealGM

Post#20 » by eminence » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:54 pm

Vote #1: Bob Davies
-Best early guard, good balance of scoring/playmaking
-Lots of team success
-Acceptable longevity

Vote #2: Gus Williams
-Think I'd slightly prefer Nique here, but the race appears to be Gus vs Luka, and I clearly prefer Gus
-Decent longevity
-Good impact
-Co-star on a champion

Nique up next. Unsure on Luka vs Hagan, but neither would be in my top 100 or all that close.

Nomination #1: Chris Bosh
-Good all-around game, underappreciated defense
-Important part of an almost dynasty
-The missing longevity is lower impact late career seasons

Nomination #2: James Worthy
-Not a strong preference here
-Lacking a bit in impact signals, but played on a lot of strong teams as the #2/#3 guy
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons