Hawks at .500 after listless performance

Moderators: Jamaaliver, HMFFL, dms269

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,198

Hawks at .500 after listless performance 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:37 am

"We're going to find out what we're made of [tonight]," said Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson, who struggled through 3-for-11 shooting and finished with eight points, 14 below his average. "I wouldn't say it's the most important game or anything, but it's very important for us to get back right."

The Hawks were 15-12 a week ago with a chance to put a little distance between themselves and the rest of the crowd in the middle of the Eastern Conference standings. Less than a full week into the New Year, that cushion has vanished.

At 15-15, the Hawks have come back to the pack behind Boston, Detroit and Orlando.

"Nights like these are always lurking; it's always out there," guard Anthony Johnson said. "But with that being said, this is definitely a setback. It's disappointing ... very disappointing."

"We started the game back on our heels and they attacked us," said Josh Smith, who finished with 20 points and five blocks. Smith and Josh Childress off the bench (26 points) were the only offensive sparks the Hawks had. "They just took it to us and made us pay for leaving shooters open. We got what we deserved for playing that type of defense."

It was a rude homecoming for Woodson, a former Indiana schoolboy star and Indiana University All-American. He had more than 50 family members and friends in the crowd to see his team, which has finally found some footing in his fourth season.

But they were treated to a second consecutive game in which the Hawks were roasted in grand fashion by the home team.

"We came out so flat, man," Woodson said. "We just stunk tonight. They wanted it a little bit more in terms of getting off their slide. And we knew it, and we just didn't respond. And I've got to take the blame for that."

Link
LL Cool Scott
Starter
And1: 0

Post#2 » by LL Cool Scott » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:52 pm

More "blah blah blah" from Joe Johnson our "captain." I can't wait until Horford gets a little more seasoned and becomes the true leader this team sorely lacks.

In the worlds of the immortal Elvis Aaron Presley - "A little less conversation/A little more action"
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,198

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:21 pm

LL Cool Scott wrote:More "blah blah blah" from Joe Johnson our "captain." I can't wait until Horford gets a little more seasoned and becomes the true leader this team sorely lacks.

In the worlds of the immortal Elvis Aaron Presley - "A little less conversation/A little more action"

Maybe someone should tell Joe that Orlando has dropped 2 straight, we have dropped 3 straight and Washington has passed us for 2nd place.

I also hope Al can become the type of leader we need. I also like some of the things Marvin has said, so I believe he has leadership qualities also.
LL Cool Scott
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by LL Cool Scott » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:23 pm

HMFFL wrote:
I also hope Al can become the type of leader we need. I also like some of the things Marvin has said, so I believe he has leadership qualities also.

I have the same hopes and see some leadership qualities in Acie Law and also Josh Smith. Johnson is a great second banana, but just isn't the type of guy to be a true leader of a great team (like most 2 guards, to be fair...).

Return to Atlanta Hawks