Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,010

Re: Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam 

Post#121 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:04 pm

Spida888 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Spida888 wrote:I don't think you guys would give up Bogdan. He's providing good production on a good value contract. You need value contracts like this if you trade for Pascal and your top 3 will take up so much of your cap.

Hunter otoh is on a slightly negative contract, so getting rid of his contract is beneficial for the Hawks. Not enticing for the Raptors though, so some mix of prospects/picks would need to sweeten the deal.

I understand why the Hawks would be reluctant to trade for Pascal though after his camp comments on not re-signing with the team that trades for him.

I agree. Cost to acquire, future contract and his reluctance to being in Atlanta where he can decide to walk are all factures to be considered. The elephant in the room for me though, would be the owner's willingness to further improve the team around Trae, DJ and Pascal or make moves around the edges to just stay competitive in the short term vs real contention. Or will he dump salry to stay under the Luxury tax.

That's fair. Based on how your team dumped Collins' contract, your team may be reluctant to go into the tax unless you guys make it far into the playoffs this year.

we might not even make the playin :( .
Our main issue right now is our lack of size and rebounding because we are too small. (besides missing two starters). We had the play The Mat(t)hews last night. :nonono:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,686

Post#122 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:35 pm

Jake Fischer wrote:Once again, rival executives are circling Toronto and the Raptors’ two impending free agents, Pascal Siakam and O.G. Anunoby, as two of the best possibilities to hit the trade market before February’s deadline.

“Toronto’s going to be forced to make a decision,” one general manager told Yahoo Sports.

Since the offseason, the Hawks have been the suitor most connected to Siakam, and Atlanta personnel witnessed a perfect glimpse of what the 29-year-old forward is capable of Wednesday night, when Siakam posted 33 points, seven boards and seven assists in a win over the visitors. The Hawks held serious discussions with the Raptors on acquiring Siakam this past summer, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Atlanta also pursued trade scenarios for swingman De’Andre Hunter that included talks with the Pacers and Pistons around June’s NBA Draft.

The Hawks stand as one of the more intriguing franchises to monitor as the trade deadline approaches, with plenty of optionality to choose different paths forward under a new leadership structure with general manager Landry Fields and head coach Quin Snyder in their first full season in Atlanta, which is still 9-14 in the Eastern Conference.
Yahoo Sports
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,558

Post#123 » by dms269 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:12 pm

Seems like the Siakam for Murray train is picking up steam with fanbases (other than our own).
But sure how we went from Hunter, AJ, and 24 Sac first to Murray+other assets as equal value

But knowing out front office we make the deal and then Siakam walks or we give him a max deal.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM

Post#124 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:05 pm

December 30 deadline for Pascal Siakam contract extension?

To start with, not in the plan for the moment is an extension for Siakam, who can sign with Toronto for up to four years and $192 million until June 30. There have been framework-type conversations since the early days of the season, per league sources, and each side has eyed Dec. 30 as a potential impetus to reach decision. Given that no agreement has been reached, it seems safe to infer the Raptors’ interests lie in something closer to the three-year extension that they offered at the beginning of the 2022-23 season that Siakam rejected.

– via Michael Grange @ SportsNet

Top Rumors, Pascal Siakam, Toronto Raptors

In that context, it’s safe to conclude — and the Raptors have indicated as much to league insiders I’ve spoken with — that there is no appetite for a reset, teardown or rebuild. – via Michael Grange @ SportsNet
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#125 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:37 pm

I do believe that Siakam can help this team tremendously in the short term.

But long term, it makes no sense to send out picks/youth for the guy. We'd be better off tanking this season and coming back built around Trae and Jalen with a lottery draftee added to the mix.

Similar to how things played out for Dallas in 2023.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#126 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I do believe that Siakam can help this team tremendously in the short term.

But long term, it makes no sense to send out picks/youth for the guy. We'd be better off tanking this season and coming back built around Trae and Jalen with a lottery draftee added to the mix.

So who of the 'vets' should be traded and to which teams?
And I guess the biggest question would is: would Quin be OK with that?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#127 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:34 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I do believe that Siakam can help this team tremendously in the short term.

When I say tank, I don't mean a full teardown. I'm thinking of riding things out for the rest of the year since this is the last season we control our draft pick anyway.
  • If we recover to make the playoffs...fine.
  • If we end up with a top 10 draft pick...fine.
I'd be open to moving Capela and Hunter for future draft capital or long term upgrades. (And if we've already burned the bridge by openly shopping/listening on DeJounte, might as well be open to trading him too.)

I just think we're a much better team than our record. Losing a bunch of close games doesn't make you a bad team.

It just means we need to make some adjustments.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#128 » by jayu70 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

When I say tank, I don't mean a full teardown. I'm thinking of riding things out for the rest of the year since this is the last season we control our draft pick anyway.
  • If we recover to make the playoffs...fine.
  • If we end up with a top 10 draft pick...fine.
I'd be open to moving Capela and Hunter for future draft capital or long term upgrades. (And if we've already burned the bridge by openly shopping/listening on DeJounte, might as well be open to trading him too.)

I just think we're a much better team than our record. Losing a bunch of close games doesn't make you a bad team.

It just means we need to make some adjustments.

Oh, got it.
Hunter and Capela were on the trade block this past offseason, might be time to move them. The more their names keep popping up and we hold them the more it reduces their value in the next cycle.
I don't disagree regarding the record and losing these close games. Too many times we play prevent offense when we have a lead slowing the pace and running clock instead of playing to the strength that got us the lead. Playing not to lose instead of to win.

Then, we can't secure a rebound and giving up 2nd chance points.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by dms269 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#130 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:09 pm

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#131 » by Pointgod » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Would you guys move Jalen Johnson in a Siakim deal? I have my doubts but curious about what Hawks fans think.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#132 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:28 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Would you guys move Jalen Johnson in a Siakim deal? I have my doubts but curious about what Hawks fans think.

That's a no for me dawg
jayu70
RealGM

Post#133 » by jayu70 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:47 pm

Pointgod wrote:

I wouldn't.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#134 » by dms269 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:29 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Not a chance. Super talented and young. 8ish years younger than Siakam and likely signed longer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#135 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:48 pm

Pointgod wrote:Would you guys move Jalen Johnson in a Siakim deal? I have my doubts but curious about what Hawks fans think.

Hawks fans would likely riot if the front office trades Jalen Johnson right now.

He might be more untouchable than Trae. :o
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#136 » by dms269 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:25 pm

Rumors over on reddit from the Raptors say that JJ was targeted over the summer but Pascal shot down the idea of going to Atlanta (probably refusing to sign an extension). Gives some merit to the "won't resign" rumors.

Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#137 » by Pointgod » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:26 pm

dms269 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Not a chance. Super talented and young. 8ish years younger than Siakam and likely signed longer.

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

That's a no for me dawg

jayu70 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

I wouldn't.

Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#138 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:31 pm

Pointgod wrote:Thought as much. So what would you guys move for him? Picks, AJ Griffin, Okongwu(doubtful), Bufkin?

For 50 games of play with no promise of re-signing?

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,179

Post#139 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:04 am

Pointgod wrote:

Absolutely not.
You can have almost everything else.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,179

Post#140 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 1, 2024 3:08 am

De'Andre Hunter will possibly be productive for another team but I would include him if Toronto is interested. Three more seasons of paying him up to $25m per season. He hasn't shown any signs that he's ever going to be an all-star caliber talent.

We drafted him 4th overall.

We must stop writing checks for $20m per season to players like him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks