Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,685

Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:07 pm

It's getting embarrassing.

Read on Twitter

As the Atlanta Hawks explore different ways to improve their roster heading into head coach Quin Snyder's first full season, Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam has popped up on their radar in trade talks.

Per NBA insider Marc Stein, the Hawks have "been trying—without success—to convince Toronto to part with" the two-time All-Star.

The Hawks seem to have made Siakam a focal point in offseason trade talks.

Jake Fischer of Yahoo Sports reported on Thursday they've been trying to put together "several creative packages" that include "at least one three-team scenario" in an attempt to land the 29-year-old.

A big stumbling block for any team trying to acquire Siakam is his contract. He's owed $37.9 million in 2023-24, the final season of his four-year, $136.9 million deal he signed in October 2019.

Presumably, a team would want assurances from Siakam that he would commit to signing a long-term extension to facilitate a trade.

Per Doug Smith of the Toronto Star, Siakam has "put word out that he would not entertain contract extension talks with any team" because he "would like nothing better than to finish his career here as the longest-serving Raptors player."
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Hawks Front Office seems committed to getting Siakam 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:36 pm

I like the fit. I agree with the cost of DeJounte and Collins.

But for an expiring player, I refuse to include draft picks.

Hawks built with Capela-Siakam-Trae is a solid, but flawed starting 5. Hawks would need serious help on 3-pt shooting and ball handling.

OO-AJ-Jalen-Bufkin-Bogdan slot in perfectly between those three.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,009

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:03 pm

From the original "trying to put together a package" to "been trying without success" to convince to now committed.

Interesting how trade discussions get where they do the more they are repeated to create dramatic headlines.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,007

Post#4 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:39 am

I get why we would want Siakam, but not the desperation to have him.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 728

Post#5 » by TGM » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:44 am

Given that the Hawks want some salary relief.

Maybe Murray, Collins and Hunter for Siakam and Trent. Trent is a really good 3PT shooter and on a short term deal. Gives the Hawks a lot more flexibility. Between Trae, Trent and Bog that's some good 3PT shooting. Also now got Bufkin.
tacosman
Junior
And1: 272

Post#6 » by tacosman » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:01 pm

The raptors forum seems pretty set that they don't want any of the non-young pieces on the hawks. Even(most of them) murray.

Then again the raptors forum was also suffering under the collective delusion that they were going to trade Pascal for the pick attached to Scoot......so yeah, they may not be the most objective or realistic.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,553

Post#7 » by dms269 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:26 pm

tacosman wrote:The raptors forum seems pretty set that they don't want any of the non-young pieces on the hawks. Even(most of them) murray.

Then again the raptors forum was also suffering under the collective delusion that they were going to trade Pascal for the pick attached to Scoot......so yeah, they may not be the most objective or realistic.
His value tanked with that leaked report about re-signing. Teams would be dumb to give up meaningful assets for a rental.

He wants to stay there, make all-nba, and get the supermax.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM

Post#8 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 4:43 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I like the fit. I agree with the cost of DeJounte and Collins.

Hawks built with Capela-Siakam-Trae is a solid, but flawed starting 5. Hawks would need serious help on 3-pt shooting and ball handling.

Toronto Fans on their board :o :nonono:
They seem to forget Siakam is an expiring and looking fir $50 million....

Everyone talks about Murray & Bufkin but AJ GRIFFIN is a MUST in any trade package for me, even more so than Bufkin. With his strength & shooting, I think he could be a damn good SG in the league...
All that talent at the thin guard positions for one player who's overlapping, the future of the team and at least 2 of the 3 guards are near 40% 3pt shooters....sign me up. If not Murray, then completely fine with Hunter/Okongwu (not sure you could squeeze both out of them if both AJ & Bufkin are in the deal already). But seriously think about all the shooting that could be around Scottie moving forward -- Bufkin, Griffin, GT Jr, Dick, OG...suddenly there's a bunch of wings to open up the court for him, most of whom can also defend. In a few years that could be a fun team to watch with a ton of ball movement & 3s raining down vs having 2 PFs operating in the same spaces. You can see how the offence could go from an awkward, kinda stagnant offence vs a free flowing, find the open target offence.

Pascal may be the better player but I think that collection of players would be a better fit & the team overall would end up better than they would if we just stick to the script.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by dms269 » Mon Jul 3, 2023 10:46 am

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I like the fit. I agree with the cost of DeJounte and Collins.

Toronto Fans on their board :o :nonono:

Everyone talks about Murray & Bufkin but AJ GRIFFIN is a MUST in any trade package for me, even more so than Bufkin. With his strength & shooting, I think he could be a damn good SG in the league...
All that talent at the thin guard positions for one player who's overlapping, the future of the team and at least 2 of the 3 guards are near 40% 3pt shooters....sign me up. If not Murray, then completely fine with Hunter/Okongwu (not sure you could squeeze both out of them if both AJ & Bufkin are in the deal already). But seriously think about all the shooting that could be around Scottie moving forward -- Bufkin, Griffin, GT Jr, Dick, OG...suddenly there's a bunch of wings to open up the court for him, most of whom can also defend. In a few years that could be a fun team to watch with a ton of ball movement & 3s raining down vs having 2 PFs operating in the same spaces. You can see how the offence could go from an awkward, kinda stagnant offence vs a free flowing, find the open target offence.

Pascal may be the better player but I think that collection of players would be a better fit & the team overall would end up better than they would if we just stick to the script.
Yeah some of us have been fighting the good fight on the trade board with this.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:17 pm

dms269 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Toronto Fans on their board :o :nonono:

If Landry, Nick and KK were to throw OO, AJ or Bufkin away for one year of Siakam...I might honestly start looking for another franchise to follow until new leadership arrives.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 3, 2023 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Landry in every conference call with Masai:

Spoiler:
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#12 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Jul 3, 2023 11:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
dms269 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Toronto Fans on their board :o :nonono:

If Landry, Nick and KK were to throw OO, AJ or Bufkin away for one year of Siakam...I might honestly start looking for another franchise to follow until new leadership arrives.

The only concern any team for trading for Siakam should have is if they will offer him a full max.

If they won’t, don’t trade for him.

If they will, go for it.

Why? I can think of about 60,000,000 reasons

Going to a new team he’ll be able to get (2023-2024 cap numbers) 4/$176. Resigning via bird rights he can get 5/$237.

He’s not turning down $60,000,000 guaranteed….from anyone.

The only reason he is leaking staying in Toronto is he wants a shot at the super max. As soon as he’s traded, that is no longer possible.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#13 » by D21 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 12:23 am

Jamaaliver wrote:If Landry, Nick and KK were to throw OO, AJ or Bufkin away for one year of Siakam...I might honestly start looking for another franchise to follow until new leadership arrives.

Agree, and I will add that I'll wait one more season only, so 2024 summer, to see if Ressler pass on trading to improve the team at the cost of paying a bit of Tax. If they don't use the MLE or TPE this season, and end up being competitive with good bball, OK, but if next season shows there's something to change to contend and that it would cost, but that Ressler refuse, I will stop following until he's gone or someone in the front office convince him.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#14 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:05 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
dms269 wrote:Yeah some of us have been fighting the good fight on the trade board with this.

The only concern any team for trading for Siakam should have is if they will offer him a full max.

If they will, go for it.

Going to a new team he’ll be able to get (2023-2024 cap numbers) 4/$176. Resigning via bird rights he can get 5/$237.

The only reason he is leaking staying in Toronto is he wants a shot at the super max. As soon as he’s traded, that is no longer possible.

You are assuming the Hawks will want to sign him to a 5 year deal. I wouldn't sign him to anything longer than Trae's current contract.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,909

Post#15 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Jul 4, 2023 5:07 am

jayu70 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

If they will, go for it.

You are assuming the Hawks will want to sign him to a 5 year deal. I wouldn't sign him to anything longer than Trae's current contract.

Read the second sentence.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,442

Post#16 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Jul 4, 2023 7:47 am

;t=631s&pp=ygUfamFsZW4gam9obnNvbiBzZWFzb24gaGlnaGxpZ2h0cw%3D%3D

Hawks already have their guy and he already meshes well with Trae. And plus the Hawks can't afford Siakam long term. I can see Fields angling for a discount something involving Capela and Sac pick involving 3rd team.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#17 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 2:05 pm

I would rather get Paul Reed than Siakam. Reed fits way better with Trae than Pascal.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by dms269 » Tue Jul 4, 2023 6:33 pm

Realgm hates mobile but...
Read on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 4, 2023 10:30 pm

dms269 wrote:Realgm hates mobile but...
Read on Twitter

I imagine TOR sees Siakam as a higher valued asset than DeJounte (and rightly so), but for trade purposes, they're almost equal value.

In my mind, it's just a matter of which one would we rather overpay to play next to Trae moving forward.

Siakam could really thrive here playing with a top PG and a shot blocking Center.

D Hunter and DeJounte Murray for Siakam works straight up.

If Raptors aren't good with that, they can simply keep Pascal, overpay him on a supermax and watch their team wither in mediocrity like it has for most of the past decade. (Hard Truth: Raptors are a single Kawhi season away from complete irrelevance in the NBA. Them overpaying Pascal doesn't change that at all...)
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#20 » by D21 » Wed Jul 5, 2023 3:12 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I imagine TOR sees Siakam as a higher valued asset than DeJounte (and rightly so), but for trade purposes, they're almost equal value.

In my mind, it's just a matter of which one would we rather overpay to play next to Trae moving forward.

Siakam could really thrive here playing with a top PG and a shot blocking Center.

D Hunter and DeJounte Murray for Siakam works straight up.

If Raptors aren't good with that, they can simply keep Pascal, overpay him on a supermax and watch their team wither in mediocrity like it has for most of the past decade. (Hard Truth: Raptors are a single Kawhi season away from complete irrelevance in the NBA. Them overpaying Pascal doesn't change that at all...)

There's one advantage with Siakam, this team would have a good passer at a forward spot, but I'm not really sure if the system was allowing our forwards to pass the ball. Still, he would be a better passer.
Opponents are always beating Hawks regarding assists coming from the forward spots, which is a sign of the ball and players not moving enough in this team

Now, I'm not sure if I prefer Siakam with more assist but keeping Capela in the paint and slowing up the transition defense as he also always start to get back from the opponent rim, or if this 38M salary would be better use in the Hield/Turner pair, especially if Murray is traded.

IMHO, the team would be better with Murray/Capela + filler traded for Hield/Turner than with Murray/Hunter + filler for Siakam only
They could alternate between Okongwu and Turner and adapt more easily to opponents, keeping C defense but adding 3pts range from all the spots.
Hield is also, like Bogi, 40lbs more than Murray, and a lineup with Trae/Hield/Bogi would be a nightmare to cover. Yes we would not have the creation from the forward spot that Siakam can provide, but I believe that Jalen has the potential to develop a good passing game

Return to Atlanta Hawks