ImageImageImage

How come...

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Matt34520
Junior
And1: 0

How come... 

Post#1 » by Matt34520 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:28 pm

How come many writers/media members talk about our age so much? How old is Billups? 31...how about Steve Nash? Isn't he 34? I never hear anybody mention other teams age. Duncan is the same age as Garnett, but we are the ones they need to worry about age... :crazy:
Ray still got game.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#2 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jan 1, 2008 9:50 pm

I think it is because they are showing, or trying to show all of us how small our window is. I think we have a 4-5 year window. No one seems to agree with me but, oh well.

PHO,SA and DET have all had time to make runs. SA and DET have won championships. I think PHO window is closing much faster than ours is. I think that is what they are trying to say.
jjwalker
Junior

Post#3 » by jjwalker » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:06 pm

Because everyone hates the celtics except for celtic fans.
freakon0mics
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#4 » by freakon0mics » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:08 pm

The media is out there to critique. This team has a good 5 years of contention, especially in the Eastern Conference. Last I check, 30 year old players win championships anyways.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,183

Post#5 » by MaxwellSmart » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:55 pm

I truly believe that all non Celtics fans are in disbelief...That Danny Ainge could turn this team around with just two trades....The C's have been bad for so long,that people really think that they should always be bad,and that San Antonio/Phoenix/Dallas/Detroit are the only powerhouses---How dare the lowly Celtics come along and upset the norm...?

So, this is why we've had all these haters coming out of the woodwork...I've had a plenty of non-Celitc fan "friends" tell me how we're only one injury away from going down (duh-so is every other team)...and wait til we go on the road...blah blah blah....All that matters is how focused the players stay for the rest of the season...I think Danny will make the required moves if they are needed....And we definitely have a 4-5 year window at least-if we keep Danny Ainge around,this team could be a powerhouse for a lot longer than that!
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,700

Post#6 » by 3pt % » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:11 pm

J Kidd and Nash's windows are always brought up. It is probably because all of our top line talent is in the window, while detroit, the suns and the spurs all have all stars who are younger.

We just need Rondo to keep developing :)
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by PPAW4Life » Tue Jan 1, 2008 11:49 pm

Age is the only thing they can harp on.

All 3 of these guys are superstars and studs....what else can you say that is negative about them other than they aren't 24 years old anymore.

They're reaching at straws but let them reach.....the C's know they are good and can get even better which is very scary.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#8 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:15 am

I truly believe that all non Celtics fans are in disbelief...That Danny Ainge could turn this team around with just two trades....The C's have been bad for so long,that people really think that they should always be bad,and that San Antonio/Phoenix/Dallas/Detroit are the only powerhouses---How dare the lowly Celtics come along and upset the norm...?

I thikn your right.

The stunning turnaround from absolute worst in the NBA to clearly the best is just too shocking for these guys to handle, IMHO. So they try to make it seem less dramatic in their minds.

It's really a case of what they call cognitive dissonance. Basically the prevailing notion was that the Celtics weren't very good - and wouldn't be very good. Now they are given tons of information that indicates the Celtics ARE incredibly good as they are on pace to win 70 games.

These two differing notions are causing havoc in people's minds - and they are not making a very good critical analysis of the situation. This is why for example you hear that they are "old" or "one injury away" when of course nearly every contending team has those problems.

They want to feel that their initial analysis was correct and attempt to disregard the new information..

Pete
ICanOutreboundWalter
Rookie

Post#9 » by ICanOutreboundWalter » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:18 am

The age issue really should be dead.

The issue was that we all assumed it would take a season or two for this to gel, and by then, each player would be slightly worse than they are now. However, the team pretty much gelled in about 3 weeks, shockingly, which means that they really ended up having just as long a window together in their primes as any other team.

I mean, ok, the window will close up in 3-4 years...but really, what team CAN'T you say that for? Even if you had a bunch of 22 year olds, the salary cap kinda ensures you never can have that long a window...
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#10 » by s1ickd » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:24 am

i just can't believe people on this board thought this team's window was 1-2 years when the trade happened. we have KG signed for 4 more years. he's leading the league in all-star balloting. id say he has at least 3 years left after this. not to mention who we pickup from ray allen's salary when it expires.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,404

Post#11 » by tlee324 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:49 am

It's mixed, since all the media are comprised of different people, but most didn't see what Ainge was trying to do while he was gathering young talent, big contracts and draft picks. He said it many times he was going to cash things in for that veteran. I'm sure he didn't envision getting exactly Kevin Garnett, but he did put himself in position to be in the running for a big name player. In order to save face, some of these media guys have to come up with something to criticize.

Return to Boston Celtics