ImageImageImage

Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Re: Joe Mazzulla Thread, Head Coach – (COTM, Dec 2023 & March 2024) 

Post#1681 » by Big J » Sun May 12, 2024 12:44 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Just ask Mike Budenholzer and Frank Vogel.

And which coach has kept his job by being friends with the star?

The point is if your players have your back, management and owner will be more hesitant to fire you, especially if the team wins 60 games.

If this trend continues, where coach and players have a good relationship, this will give Joe more time to get it done.

Like I said, if the players and coach are not on the same page, take the case of Adrian Griffin.

Griffin didn't even reach the All-Star break.

It didn't help Ime.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,747

Post#1682 » by Fierce1 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:49 am

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:

The point is if your players have your back, management and owner will be more hesitant to fire you, especially if the team wins 60 games.

If this trend continues, where coach and players have a good relationship, this will give Joe more time to get it done.

Like I said, if the players and coach are not on the same page, take the case of Adrian Griffin.

It didn't help Ime.

Come on, man, we all know that was a different case.

It was TOTALLY not basketball related.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#1683 » by Big J » Sun May 12, 2024 1:30 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:The point is if your players have your back, management and owner will be more hesitant to fire you, especially if the team wins 60 games.

It didn't help Ime.

What about Malone? He is brutal on his own guys and has had the job for years.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1684 » by Fierce1 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:47 am

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:
It didn't help Ime.

What about Malone? He is brutal on his own guys and has had the job for years.

I don't think so.

I never heard Jokic or Jamal tell the media that they need to be coached better, like what Giannis did.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,508

Post#1685 » by doogie_hauser » Sun May 12, 2024 5:40 am

I don't know if I am qualified to say this being an Aussie based Celtics supporter and got far less to all things Celtic and Boston media related, but I honestly don't get the impression Joe is soft on the players at all, I can imagine him tearing the players to ribbons in the locker room post game 2 loss.

Just because he doesn't absolutely behave like a headless Chook on acid at times on the sidelines (unlike Mike Malone, whom I actually like) doesn't mean he isn't a hardss on the players on the players when required/needed.

He is a unique character Joe, and there is a lot more to his personality and temperament than what we have seen publicly and at press conferences etc

I digress, was a very good and measured coaching performance from Joe in game 3.

Made the necessary adjustments and time outs when required..
Tatum hopefully regaining his mojo (aka confidence) back is HUGE !
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,268

Post#1686 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun May 12, 2024 11:41 am

Big J wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Big J wrote:

It didn't help Ime.

Now that's a myopic take if I've ever seen one.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,035

Post#1687 » by bisme37 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:28 pm

When Joe Mazzulla became coach at Fairmont State University, he unironically proposed to his wife that they live in an RV outside the school’s gym & live there to have free electricity & to shower in the locker room.

She [Joe’s wife] joked about her husband’s minimalist lifestyle and recalled when they were together and he became the head coach of Fairmont State University, he told her he wanted to buy an RV and park it outside the school gym so they could live there. “When I say he was dead serious, he was dead serious,” his wife told the Globe. “He’s like, ‘We’d have free electricity. We can take showers in the locker room and do laundry in the team laundry room.’ I’m like, ‘Have you lost your mind?'”

https://heavy.com/sports/nba/boston-celtics/joe-mazzulla-wife-camai-roberson/
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,765

Post#1688 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:52 pm

bisme37 wrote:
When Joe Mazzulla became coach at Fairmont State University, he unironically proposed to his wife that they live in an RV outside the school’s gym & live there to have free electricity & to shower in the locker room.

She [Joe’s wife] joked about her husband’s minimalist lifestyle and recalled when they were together and he became the head coach of Fairmont State University, he told her he wanted to buy an RV and park it outside the school gym so they could live there. “When I say he was dead serious, he was dead serious,” his wife told the Globe. “He’s like, ‘We’d have free electricity. We can take showers in the locker room and do laundry in the team laundry room.’ I’m like, ‘Have you lost your mind?'”

https://heavy.com/sports/nba/boston-celtics/joe-mazzulla-wife-camai-roberson/

That's not a bad idea if he's planning on running a crypto mining farm or something but how much did people pay for electricity for a 1 bedroom apartment back in 2013, $50 per month?
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,506

Post#1689 » by fallguy » Mon May 13, 2024 4:58 pm

I would love more information about Joe's wife. Who marries this guy?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,035

Post#1690 » by bisme37 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:02 pm

Lol:

Celtics’ Joe Mazzulla to departing assistant: Prepare to be hated as head coach

Charles Lee, Joe Mazzulla’s top assistant this season, will not join the Hornets until after Boston’s playoff run concludes. The Celtics owned a 1-0 lead over the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference semifinals heading into Thursday’s Game 2.

In his pregame news conference, Mazzulla called Lee’s hiring “long overdue,” and offered some blunt advice to his departing lieutenant.

“Everybody hates you (when you’re a head coach),” Mazzulla deadpanned. “Get used to it. You’re no longer the nice, shiny toy.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2024/05/09/celtics-joe-mazzulla-to-departing-assistant-prepare-to-be-hated-as-head-coach/
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,859

Post#1691 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 16, 2024 3:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Little-known secret -- Robert Williams taught him how to slow time down. It may appear to be just 12 seconds for us casual viewers...
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,092

Post#1693 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 am

“Joe has been key for our success,” Horford said. “I feel like he has put us in positions defensively, but also offensively, for us to continue to grow as players on the offensive side of the ball. Continue to make reads, continue to figure things out. There are a lot of ways teams try to play us, and I feel like he’s been great tactically with our group. Making us see things, making us think about them and us being able to process so much information. J.T. and J.B., I feel like, have been great with that, because it’s a lot that gets thrown at them, and different things that they have to navigate. Joe has been really good with that and just as a leader of our group. We follow him. He demands a lot from us and we’re right there plugging away. We know we still have a ways to go, but he’s done a very good job this year.”

https://www.celticsblog.com/2024/5/18/24159109/joe-mazzulla-reveals-difference-between-this-celtics-season-and-last-playoffs-regular-season-horford
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,620

Post#1694 » by shackles10 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:50 am

Finch, Kidd, Carlisle, and Joe the Final 4. Either Joe isn’t as bad as we once thought or coaching matters even less than we thought in the NBA. Finch has never been considered a good coach until this year, Kidd has been made fun of as much as Joe if not more during his coaching career, and Carlisle just won his first playoff series in a decade this year despite never taking a year off from coaching in that decade.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1695 » by Fierce1 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 am

shackles10 wrote:Finch, Kidd, Carlisle, and Joe the Final 4. Either Joe isn’t as bad as we once thought or coaching matters even less than we thought in the NBA. Finch has never been considered a good coach until this year, Kidd has been made fun of as much as Joe if not more during his coaching career, and Carlisle just won his first playoff series in a decade this year despite never taking a year off from coaching in that decade.

So true.

When it comes to Joe, I don't think it's about the coaching.

I think some of the Cs fans just don't like Joe period!

Joe's not a likable guy.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,620

Post#1696 » by shackles10 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:57 am

Fierce1 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Finch, Kidd, Carlisle, and Joe the Final 4. Either Joe isn’t as bad as we once thought or coaching matters even less than we thought in the NBA. Finch has never been considered a good coach until this year, Kidd has been made fun of as much as Joe if not more during his coaching career, and Carlisle just won his first playoff series in a decade this year despite never taking a year off from coaching in that decade.

So true.

Joe's not a likable guy.

Joe is a physcho. And I kind of like that about him. So I don’t really like Joe, but I like that he’s a psycho so in turn I kinda like Joe? Either way Team goes as far as Jays take them whether it’s Brad, Joe or Ime.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#1697 » by Fierce1 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 am

shackles10 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:

So true.

Joe's not a likable guy.

Joe is a physcho. And I kind of like that about him. So I don’t really like Joe, but I like that he’s a psycho so in turn I kinda like Joe? Either way Team goes as far as Jays take them whether it’s Brad, Joe or Ime.

True.

That's why I can never agree about the Cs will never win a chip because their coach is an idiot.

Return to Boston Celtics