ImageImageImage

Brad Stevens Thread – Finding The Way

Moderators: bisme37, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10

darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,986

Re: Brad Stevens Finding The Way 

Post#21 » by darrendaye » Sat Mar 5, 2022 7:29 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I don't think Ainge and Stevens have the same vision at all. Ainge hoarded assets in his hunt for white whales. Stevens is willing to spend assets to put the best team on the floor.

There is literally zero chance that Ainge would have made the Derrick White deal. Zero.

The team circumstance was a bit different, but, I would throw out the IT trade as a possible discussion point here.

I get what you mean, but the particulars there are really worlds apart. At that point, we had an absolute treasure chest of 1st round picks. He gave up a very late pick (believe it was CLE's that we got for the Zeller salary dump back when Lebron was there and they were sure to pick late). In the hierarchy of our assets between all of the picks (our own and others) and then players on the roster who had value, that pick was honestly probably like the 15th most valuable piece we had. Stevens has made moves off a roster without nearly the same kind of tradable players or treasure chest of picks. For him to have moved each of our last 1st rounders for non-stars is a MAJOR philosophical shift from Ainge.

If you look through history, basically all the championships are won by top 20-30 players in the game. Not top 20-30 at a given time, I mean the whole history of the game. Go look up every team that's won since the 80s. Then go look up any top whatever all time players list. Other than the 03-04 Pistons team, who's won without a guy that's generally among the top 20-30 all time on any list. Probably the only other one you'll find is Giannis last year just because he's still building a resume towards that kind of ranking.

Ainge was obsessed with hoarding his chips so he could pounce if a guy who had already proven himself to be that caliber of player. KG trade for example. Stevens on the other hand, seems to be willing to hope that Tatum develops into that guy or at least the kind of guy who can recruit someone like that to BOS at a discount the way other teams do. And in the meantime, he's happy to just put the best team he can around Tatum (and Brown to a lesser degree) and try to facilitate that growth. Basically, he's not obsessed with the one big move that wins it all. He's happy for just organic team building and maybe getting some luck one year to make a real run even if improbable.

Oh, I agree on all points. I threw out the example since it also involved giving up a pick, but, also you might argue it was done as a life-jacket for inexperienced and somewhat struggling at the time coaches. Now by the deadline this year the team had already flipped a switch prior to the deal. But they were also playing a soft part of their schedule and consistency remains an unknown until we see what happens the rest of the way this season and postseason.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#22 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 7:34 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:I'd say Ainge had the same basic vision as Brad but Ainge was never willing to "lose" a trade to get the guy he wanted. As a result he was never able to fully commit to the vision. Brad clearly has the guys he wants, and the guys he didn't want, and the roster has been pretty much scrubbed of the latter in less than a year. Even the Ime move is looking like genius now that the guys are buying in.

A couple of months ago it seemed like we were resigned to NBA purgatory. My how the turn tables.

I suppose, but should we really applaud a GM for losing trades?

The players that we now boast as the best starting lineup are all guys Ainge drafted high in the lottery or drafted himself outside of a what 35 year old Horford?

Are they playing well now because of anything really Stevens or Ime has done or are they just bouncing back and reaching the same level they would with any NBA coach?

Like getting White is nice, getting Horford is nice. But the reason Ainge didn't trade picks was because in Boston unless you're already a contender you're likely only going to get an allstar by trading picks for one or drafting one. We traded our first this year and potentially a lottery pick swap in a future Tatum less Cetlics season mortgaging the future for someone that comes off the bench and honestly doesn't do anything that Marcus Smart doesn't already do for the team.

I think everyone and your mother would say a late first for White is fair, but the pick swap well after everyone is out of contract is a dramatic overpay.

Like I'm glad we got some helpful players off the bench, but we're here to win and do what's best for the franchise to get to that next championship. Not what's best for this team to get to the second round. We still have a serious lack of talent in the starting lineup away from being a contender and are starting lineup has a age 35 big so would anyone be shocked if he fell off a cliff next year at 36 and our starting lineup lost one of it's critical pieces? Hell not only would we not be surprised no one could even blame Horford if he did, he already is playing way above what he should be able to at his current age.

I just don't think other than the Horford trade there's much to be applauded at the moment that Stevens has done as a GM.

But to be fair I think what we have now and what his team vision post trade deadline is incomplete. I find it hard to believe he overpaid for White to keep him and Smart both on the team. They just do too many of the same roles for a basketball team and Smart does them all better than White... I think there was supposed to a John Collins trade follow up to that so it would make more sense as to why he overpaid for White so much. So I'll wait till the start of next season to see what he truly had in mind. This can't be it, and I don't think even a new GM would overpay that much just because they liked a 6th man for their non contending team. There has to be another shoe that was suppose to have dropped.

It’s not about stevens willingly losing trades.....it’s about being able to make trades that aren’t over the top no brainer “I robbed you trades”.

I’m also a huge ainge guy but that’s the point he’s making. Ainge towards the end wouldn’t budge on deals unless he was overwhelmingly the winner of the deal. Which limited his ability to network with other teams. Sometimes you need to make a fair deal for both sides or take a risk that there’s potential for you to lose a deal if it doesn’t work out while also a chance you win big if it goes your way.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,563

Post#23 » by snowman » Sat Mar 5, 2022 11:05 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:I'd say Ainge had the same basic vision as Brad but Ainge was never willing to "lose" a trade to get the guy he wanted. As a result he was never able to fully commit to the vision. Brad clearly has the guys he wants, and the guys he didn't want, and the roster has been pretty much scrubbed of the latter in less than a year. Even the Ime move is looking like genius now that the guys are buying in.

A couple of months ago it seemed like we were resigned to NBA purgatory. My how the turn tables.

I suppose, but should we really applaud a GM for losing trades?

The players that we now boast as the best starting lineup are all guys Ainge drafted high in the lottery or drafted himself outside of a what 35 year old Horford?

Are they playing well now because of anything really Stevens or Ime has done or are they just bouncing back and reaching the same level they would with any NBA coach?

Like getting White is nice, getting Horford is nice. But the reason Ainge didn't trade picks was because in Boston unless you're already a contender you're likely only going to get an allstar by trading picks for one or drafting one. We traded our first this year and potentially a lottery pick swap in a future Tatum less Cetlics season mortgaging the future for someone that comes off the bench and honestly doesn't do anything that Marcus Smart doesn't already do for the team.

I think everyone and your mother would say a late first for White is fair, but the pick swap well after everyone is out of contract is a dramatic overpay.

Like I'm glad we got some helpful players off the bench, but we're here to win and do what's best for the franchise to get to that next championship. Not what's best for this team to get to the second round. We still have a serious lack of talent in the starting lineup away from being a contender and are starting lineup has a age 35 big so would anyone be shocked if he fell off a cliff next year at 36 and our starting lineup lost one of it's critical pieces? Hell not only would we not be surprised no one could even blame Horford if he did, he already is playing way above what he should be able to at his current age.

I just don't think other than the Horford trade there's much to be applauded at the moment that Stevens has done as a GM.

But to be fair I think what we have now and what his team vision post trade deadline is incomplete. I find it hard to believe he overpaid for White to keep him and Smart both on the team. They just do too many of the same roles for a basketball team and Smart does them all better than White... I think there was supposed to a John Collins trade follow up to that so it would make more sense as to why he overpaid for White so much. So I'll wait till the start of next season to see what he truly had in mind. This can't be it, and I don't think even a new GM would overpay that much just because they liked a 6th man for their non contending team. There has to be another shoe that was suppose to have dropped.

It’s not about stevens willingly losing trades.....it’s about being able to make trades that aren’t over the top no brainer “I robbed you trades”.

I’m also a huge ainge guy but that’s the point he’s making. Ainge towards the end wouldn’t budge on deals unless he was overwhelmingly the winner of the deal. Which limited his ability to network with other teams. Sometimes you need to make a fair deal for both sides or take a risk that there’s potential for you to lose a deal if it doesn’t work out while also a chance you win big if it goes your way.

I would say that in the worst-case scenario, and Tatum, Brown, Williams, (both of them) Smart and White are all gone by the 2028 draft, and the Spurs have the option to swap picks with us, who's to say it even happens. Spurs may have a better record at that time than us. I don't expect them to stay in the bottom of the standings for very long. It may very well be a moot point. I do however still believe we will have Tatum, Brown, and both Williams' who, in 6 years will only be 30, 31, 30, and 29 at that time. Smart and White will both be 33, and very well be somewhere else but I don't look at it as a problem.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,439

Post#24 » by Theocy » Sun Mar 6, 2022 12:36 am

Curmudgeon wrote:If pure talent wins in the NBA why are the Lakers 27-35? Good basketball wins in the NBA just like everywhere else.

Uhm because other than a 37 year old Lebron who doesn’t play defence like at all, where is the available talent in that team ? Westbrook is probably one of the worst PGs in the league, everyone other than unibrow is old and barely able to run and the one 2-way star they have is constantly injured. There’s old talent in LA, and definitely unavailable talent.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,032

Post#25 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Mar 6, 2022 4:17 am

Well, they are big names no longer capable of playing good basketball.
Tell me the superstars on Miami and Phoenix. Each team has only two real stars like the Celtics. But each team has lots of other really good players. Tell me about Memphis, which has one 22 year old who is on his way to superstardom plus alot of other guys who are really good--but no superstars.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 9,041

Post#26 » by sam_I_am » Sun Mar 6, 2022 2:44 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Well, they are big names no longer capable of playing good basketball.
Tell me the superstars on Miami and Phoenix. Each team has only two real stars like the Celtics. But each team has lots of other really good players. Tell me about Memphis, which has one 22 year old who is on his way to superstardom plus alot of other guys who are really good--but no superstars.

I think that adding Horford and White and developing RW and GW into solid contributors has made a far greater contribution to winning than a healthy superstar Kemba or Hayward would have. It would be great to add Beal to our core….might even make us title favorites …. but it might be a lot easier to add 2 more guys that are above average 2 way players and doing so might be enough to get us there as well.

It’s clearly obvious that having all 5 guys on the court being stout switchable defenders is a huge problem for the opposition. It’s the main reason the 2017 team took Cavs to 7 games in ECF and shocked the 76ers and Bucks. If Brad could add a 6-10 3 and D PF and a 6-6 3 and D wing who were legit good shooters and versatile defenders, the team would be a perennial contender.
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,185

Post#27 » by UNCBlue012 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 11:59 pm

The biggest genius of Brad being in this position is that he understands the system and the players needed to make it work. He’s going out and making necessary moves to coincide with that and the team is flourishing.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,358

Post#28 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 12:09 am

Brad at the deadline: Here Ime, take these two extra switchable defenders that play smart, unselfish basketball at the offensive end and make the occasional three.
Ime: Image
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#29 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Mar 7, 2022 2:26 am

Yeah, Theis just sets great picks. Today he set a beautiful interior pick on one of Tatum's drives and another on the perimeter vs Kyrie helping Tatum to splash a trey with relative ease.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 92,823

Post#30 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 7, 2022 2:38 am

UNCBlue012 wrote:The biggest genius of Brad being in this position is that he understands the system and the players needed to make it work. He’s going out and making necessary moves to coincide with that and the team is flourishing.

Yep, once he had the power to make personnel decisions, he's been uncompromising in the type of team he wants to build, Schroder signing notwithstanding. He also doesn't take forever to do the thing he wants to do.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#31 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Mar 7, 2022 2:49 am

Duplicate deleted

Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#32 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Mar 7, 2022 2:50 am

Schroder isn't even on Houston's active roster any more. Why they didn't buy him out is beyond me.

ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#33 » by ParticleMan » Mon Mar 7, 2022 8:33 am

Curmudgeon wrote:I don't think Ainge and Stevens have the same vision at all. Ainge hoarded assets in his hunt for white whales. Stevens is willing to spend assets to put the best team on the floor.

There is literally zero chance that Ainge would have made the Derrick White deal. Zero.

True but that's not really what I was referring to. I think Ainge and Brad shared the same vision for how a roster should be filled out with players, in terms of positionless basketball and switchable long defenders and guys who play with pace and shooting.

As you say though, they had different visions about how to achieve that.

I think both are great GMs actually. Had the luck of the Irish gone differently for Ainge we might be talking about him as a modern-day Red. But we had inordinately bad luck with key injuries at the wrong times during Ainge's tenure. KG's foot, Perk's shoulder, Rondo's arm, IT's hip, Hayward's ankle, Kyrie's mind, Kemba's knees, RWill and Jaylen's bumps-du-jour, even Covid hit us harder than most teams. It's a wonder Ainge kept us in the playoffs most of those years.

Brad is a more conventional GM in terms of spending assets to get what you want, but for that to work you need to have assets to spend and you need to have the core in place. Brad has Ainge to thank for that core.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,404

Post#34 » by chrisab123 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 1:20 pm

Can we please stop saying Stevens lost the Derrick White trade? I get that most of you loved Romeo (even though hes such a scrub, and hurt....AGAIN) and hate the pick swap but if Tatum somehow stays in Boston the pick will fall in the 25-28 range anyways. Spurs might also still be garbage by that time too. I'm guessing its a footnote in the trade. The Nets pick swap was apples and oranges compared to this one. They were giving multiple picks and pick swaps for past their prime hall of famers. White has been excellent so far. Lets ease up on this narrative.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,985

Post#35 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Mar 7, 2022 2:47 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Can we please stop saying Stevens lost the Derrick White trade? I get that most of you loved Romeo (even though hes such a scrub, and hurt....AGAIN) and hate the pick swap but if Tatum somehow stays in Boston the pick will fall in the 25-28 range anyways. Spurs might also still be garbage by that time too. I'm guessing its a footnote in the trade. The Nets pick swap was apples and oranges compared to this one. They were giving multiple picks and pick swaps for past their prime hall of famers. White has been excellent so far. Lets ease up on this narrative.

I still am on the theory that Josh is back in green this offseason.

So the ultimate cost would have been TPE, pick swap and 2022 first

for
White AND getting out of the lux tax this season by having Josh take some time off and get paid by the spurs this year
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,763

Post#36 » by BK_2020 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 3:34 pm

Tatum will 99% stay in Boston for another 5 years. Boston is the only team that can offer 35%.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,404

Post#37 » by chrisab123 » Mon Mar 7, 2022 7:09 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Can we please stop saying Stevens lost the Derrick White trade? I get that most of you loved Romeo (even though hes such a scrub, and hurt....AGAIN) and hate the pick swap but if Tatum somehow stays in Boston the pick will fall in the 25-28 range anyways. Spurs might also still be garbage by that time too. I'm guessing its a footnote in the trade. The Nets pick swap was apples and oranges compared to this one. They were giving multiple picks and pick swaps for past their prime hall of famers. White has been excellent so far. Lets ease up on this narrative.

for
White AND getting out of the lux tax this season by having Josh take some time off and get paid by the spurs this year

I don't think they can deal for Josh in the offseason even if they wanted to. Don't they have to be off the team for one full year?
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,985

Post#38 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Mar 7, 2022 7:56 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

for

I don't think they can deal for Josh in the offseason even if they wanted to. Don't they have to be off the team for one full year?

Nope.

Can trade back for a player in the following season, if player was traded away in the offseason, then have to wait for the next offseason.

So on day 1 of the new season we can re-acquire Richardson.
MaxwellSmart
Head Coach
And1: 2,183

Post#39 » by MaxwellSmart » Mon Mar 7, 2022 8:41 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Stevens is betting on Tatum and Brown, He's also got three nice complementary pieces locked up long term (Smart, Williams, White). That's a nice foundation assuming that the two stars improve.

Yep and Ainge is responsible for drafting 4 out of the 5 players you mentioned-not to mention Grant Williams. Stevens is doing a great job of putting the right pieces around our guys.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,378

Post#40 » by Red2 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 4:38 pm

I hate giving up back to back 1st round picks. If we win a title this year ( possible but unlikely) then you can easily justify that but if we dont then we will have lost 2 good opportunities to add young, cheap talent to our roster. But that also goes back to Danny passing on several guys who would have helped . Going into next year we still need shooting and we’re going to need at least one young big for our front court and possibly a wing as well. Right now it appears that has to happen through free agency
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics