Comments on the 100 greatest list

writerman
Banned User
And1: 5

Comments on the 100 greatest list 

Post#1 » by writerman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:25 am

I won't comment on players I haven't seen, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but IMO...

Clemens over Koufax and Ryan is an injustice. Clemens has been a very very good, durable pitcher, but IMO his best is not at the level of the best of either of those two.

Ken Griffey Jr. in the top 25? :roll:

Mr. Steroids Bonds #2 over Ted Williams? :o

Where's Brooks Robby - arguably the greatest all-around 3rd baseman in the history of the game?

Bob Feller? Hal Newhouser? Bob Gibson? Juan Marichal? Jim Palmer? Johnny Bench? Reggie Jackson? Al Kaline? George Brett?

Spahn was a good pitcher, but #30?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#2 » by studcrackers » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:50 am

reggie jackson wasnt that great and the fact that you think clemens wasnt on ryans level is laughable, you talk about slightly above average for a career that spanned 4 decades.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:43 am

Nolan Ryan is without a doubt the most overrated player in baseball history. I'd say he barely squeaks into the Top-100 if you do this right. At best, he's top-60-70 material. That people voted him ahead of Maddux, Martinez, Randy Johnson and Mathewson (among others that haven't been named yet) is pretty bad. Barry Bonds is definitely #2 and you can make a case for #1 if you so choose. Ted Williams behind Mays is silly, too. I know it's just one place, but it's wrong.

The real joke so far is that Sammy Sosa is 37th (he's not even Top-100 material). Joe Morgan is about 15 spots too low, Eddie Collins hasn't even been mentioned yet and he's about the 15th best player ever. Also, no Pete Alexander yet? C'mon. No Arky Vaughn? Nap Lajoie? These are top-25 players.

Otherwise it all seems reasonable-ish. Can't really complain if you don't vote.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#4 » by cmaff051 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:26 pm

Nolan Ryan over Roger Clemens??? You're joking right???? Clemens' career runs circles around Nolan Ryan.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#5 » by GYBE » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Ernie Banks is a little low and Sammy Sosa shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

8)
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#6 » by bringinhinkie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:49 pm

The ratings are wack.. I posted this in the last thread:

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:these rankings based purely on stats? im sorry, clemens is not the 3rd best pitcher of all time, even yankee homer himself francessa wouldnt even put him top 5 righthanders alone, sammy sosa is not the 37th best player of all time its obvious he used roids and without them probably wouldnt have hit even 450.. tom seaver any1? a much more dominant pitcher than clemens, gibson also a better pitcher than clemens... this list is based purely on stats/longevity which i dont understand.. if you had 1 game to win, youd throw roger clemens out before ANY pitcher not named cy young or walter johnson? no way.. i guess rafael palmero should be right near sosa, i mean he cheated, but it seems you guys arent taking that into effect, dont gimme he was caught bs, cause no1 on this planet thinks sosa didnt take roids, he wouldnt even deny using them, he forgot how to speak english which makes it even more obvious.. i can think of 10 pitchers easily who id throw out to pitch 1 game than clemens..
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Re: Comments on the 100 greatest list 

Post#7 » by wigglestrue » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:33 pm

writerman wrote:I won't comment on players I haven't seen, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but IMO...

Clemens over Koufax and Ryan is an injustice. Clemens has been a very very good, durable pitcher, but IMO his best is not at the level of the best of either of those two.

Right. Clemens's best is much, much better. Nolan Ryan may be the most unhittable pitcher ever, but he's probably not even one of the top 20 starting pitchers ever overall. Koufax's career was too brief to rank him higher than Clemens career wise, and his best -- in the context of his era -- is not as good as Clemens's best.

He is.

Overall...and ignoring the PDE: Yes, he is.

Where's Brooks Robby - arguably the greatest all-around 3rd baseman in the history of the game?

Not even close there being a legitimate argument there.
Mike Schmidt towers over all 3B.

Bob Feller? Hal Newhouser? Bob Gibson? Juan Marichal? Jim Palmer? Johnny Bench? Reggie Jackson? Al Kaline? George Brett?

I agree with about half of those picks.

I agree.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,326

Post#8 » by TheSheriff » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:43 pm

I think i will just move my comments over here from the voting thread, since this a more appropriate location.

I have some problems with these rankings.

First off, where is Oscar Charleston? Many consider him the best Negro League Player ever. Bill James ranked as the 4th best player of all time, ahead of Ted Williams, Cobb, Mantle, and 5 spots higher than Josh Gibson. If Gibson is as high as he is in these rankings then Oscar Charleston should be here somewhere.

Nolan Ryan is not the 23 best player and Sandy Koufax is not the 18th best. neither is in the top ten best pitchers of all time. BTW where is Pete Alexander?

Sammy Sosa? Really?

The rest aren't too bad, but there are certainly some problems here. And i can name a litany of players that should be either ranked or nominated at this point.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#9 » by JordansBulls » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:07 am

writerman wrote:I won't comment on players I haven't seen, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but IMO...

I agree that Bonds should not be over Ted Williams. But I have a problem with Cy Young being so low. Shouldn't he be top 10 at least? The man has an award named after him.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,326

Post#10 » by TheSheriff » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:49 pm

JordansBulls wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

But I have a problem with Cy Young being so low. Shouldn't he be top 10 at least? The man has an award named after him.

Cy Young was a great pitcher no doubt. But IMO while he is probably a top 5 pitcher of all-time, he isn't number one. He very good for a very, very long time. However he really his dominance was not as great as some of the other top pitchers. For instance he only had 4 years with an ERA+ of more than the ERA+ of Pedro's entire career. He only won two Era titles during his entire 22 year career, which is not as impressive as many other top pitchers. I would probably rank Roger Clemens, Lefty Grove, and Walter Johnson ahead of him, with a few guys probably at the same level.

I am a red sox fan and i love Cy Young, but he is not IMO the top pitcher of all time, though he is certainly in the top 5.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#11 » by a-rod » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:58 pm

I think im minority but i like see tow separated list one about the greatest players from 1920 to 1960, and other list about the greatest players from 1970 to 2007.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,018

Post#12 » by Stanford » Tue Dec 4, 2007 10:21 am

a-rod wrote:I think im minority but i like see tow separated list one about the greatest players from 1920 to 1960, and other list about the greatest players from 1970 to 2007.

Bonds payed baseball to remove the years 1960 to 1970 from the record books in order to break Hank Aarons unbreakable 1155 mark. He also kicked three kittens and performed 2 abortions on the way to MLB headquaters.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#13 » by a-rod » Sun Dec 9, 2007 11:46 pm

Stanford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bonds payed baseball to remove the years 1960 to 1970 from the record books in order to break Hank Aarons unbreakable 1155 mark. He also kicked three kittens and performed 2 abortions on the way to MLB headquaters.

Actually i don't care about barry or about the home run record, im just a firm believer that there is difference between old school sport, and modern era sport mainly because of the media pressure and the outside factors that gives the edge to modern era players in any sport because they gone through more adversity.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#14 » by 34Celtic » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:20 am

You guys realize that the voting reflected views of like 15 people right?
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
mets87
Senior

Post#15 » by mets87 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:38 am

a-rod wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually i don't care about barry or about the home run record, im just a firm believer that there is difference between old school sport, and modern era sport mainly because of the media pressure and the outside factors that gives the edge to modern era players in any sport because they gone through more adversity.

um, we do have ways to compare players across eras. you just can't use counting stats; you have to go deeper.
modern era players blow away "old school players." babe ruth didn't have to deal with LOOGYs, scouting reports, sliders, night games, etc. that is why bonds' accomplishments are ridiculous. and if you think steroids really had that much of an effect: stop letting the media tell you what to think. do some research.

edit: wow, some of those rankings are hilarious. honus wagner at 8? great player, but...no.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Chach » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Stanford wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You have it all wrong. Bonds scheduled two abortions but he found out on his way to the young women's apartments that you need three different types of certification in NY state to perform abortions and he only had two so Bonds had to cancel. Here me now: Barry Bonds respects the rule of law.

Honus Wagner is the greatest shortstop of all time and one of the best players of all time so STFU. mahalo
~Chach~
mets87
Senior

Post#17 » by mets87 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:18 pm

honus wagner would not be nearly as good in today's game as he was back when he played, just like ruth.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#18 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm

mets87 wrote:honus wagner would not be nearly as good in today's game as he was back when he played, just like ruth.

Well. Duh.

Given just the advancements in kinesiology, yesterday's greats couldn't probably beat a team of today's high schoolers. That doesn't remove the fact that players like Ruth and Wagner dominated their contemporaries.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Chach » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:03 pm

And if you took all of today's great players and at the day of their birth, teleported them to 1904, they would not be nearly as good as they are today. With the training, nutrition, medical advancements, technology, and amateur baseball systems, today's players have such a considerable advantage over players from yesteryear. Honus Wagner and Babe Ruth destroyed the league based on pure, natural baseball talent. Barry Bonds destroys the NL based upon his natural baseball talent, modern training techniques, and a host of legal (and possibly illegal) nutritional supplements.

If Roger Clemens was born 15 years earlier, his career would have been done after a season because he had surgery on his rotator cuff very early in his pro career (1985? I think). If Honus Wagner were born in 1978, his name would be Alex Rodriguez. Respect the past. mahalo
~Chach~
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#20 » by daddyfivestar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:47 am

I'll take the Babe - the guy dominates postgame drink ups. He'd be a great turn man in the boat race.

Return to Player Comparisons