Young Center Fielders

bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Young Center Fielders 

Post#1 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 pm

Just curious of others opinions, who do you think are the top 5/10 young CF in the game?

Some names you might consider:
Grady Sizemore
BJ Upton
Hunter Pence
Chris Young
Melky Cabrera
Elijah Dukes
Adam Jones
Felix Pie
Carlos Gomez
Cam Maybin
Justin Upton
Jay Bruce
Colby Rasmus
Andrew McCutchen
Jacoby Ellsbury
Carlos Gonzalez
Lastings Milledge
Matt Kemp

A couple may not be full-time CF like Dukes, Gonzalez, Kemp or not playing CF right now like J. Upton and Pence, but go with it or just don't include them.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#2 » by a-rod » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:29 pm

Grady Sizemore
Jay Bruce
Melky Cabrera
Lastings Milledge
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:54 pm

Under 27:

Grady Sizemore
Jay Bruce
B.J. Upton
Matt Kemp
Colby Rasmus

Adam Jones
Hunter Pence
Lastings Milledge
Justin Upton

Chris Young
Jacoby Ellsbury
Felix Pie
Melky Cabrera

Not strictly ranked, but the groups I think are separated. Some of these guys won't stick in CF long as they bulk up and look to add power, I don't think (Rasmus, Kemp, Milledge, Jones, Bruce, Pence). I'd be kind of surprised if every single one of these guys isn't on an All-Star team at some point.

This looks like it's going to be a really, really strong position. Probably only behind 3B in terms of young talent. I think it's pretty rare when you have 5 guys who could all be MVP candidates at some point and probably 13 guys who will be at least All Stars at some point.

I don't like McCutchen, Maybin, Gomez or Gonzalez much at all. Especially Gonzalez. Dukes I didn't rank because I don't think he'll get much of a shot with his past. But if some organization does play him, I'd put him in the Adam Jones-Justin Upton group. I maybe have underrated Justin Upton here, but whatever. I think he'll take another year or two to breakout.

Even after all these young CF there are a ton of CF prospects on the horizon. Austin Jackson, Fernando Martinez, Jose Tabata, Ryan Kalish, Engel Beltre, Desmond Jennings, Che-Hsuan Lin.

Maybe it's just that most elite OF prospects start in CF and then convert to LF/CF as they move up the ladder? Or are is this really an anomaly with all these young CF?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:09 am

You don't think Rasmus will stick in center? I also think Adam Jones will, although not as sure as him as Rasmus, because I obviously do know more about Rasmus. Rasmus was ranked the best defensive outfielder in the Texas League by BA, although that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I agree with the other ones you mentioned though, but think they can play there if need be. Also, don't think theres anyway Martinez and Tabata play in center, Martinez is pretty bad there and I think Tabata has really only played RF in the minors.

Surprising that you don't even like Maybin as much as Melky. I'm guessing its the thing that Maybin hits the ball on the ground entirely too much that you don't like him.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:49 am

Oh, you know a lot more about Rasmus than I do. I just figure he'll bulk up to gain more power (MORE POWER?!) and move to a corner is all.

The only guys I feel really confident about their ability to stay in CF longterm are the two Uptons, Ellsbury, Cabrera and Young.

Maybin. Eh, I just don't know. I think the Marlins are going to start him this year, right? He's not ready for that and that's going to hurt him I think. He's got serious contact problems, but he's really really young so he has that. Not that I don't like him, but compared to all these other guys I don't think he's gonna stack up. Better than McCutchen and Gomez, though. And I imagine he'll stick in CF.

More than anything I just like to pretend like I know what I'm talking about with these guys.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:19 am

More than anything I just like to pretend like I know what I'm talking about with these guys.

Me too!

And Maybin is starting in AA, which surprised the hell out of me. Maybe they are just trying to get the extra year of service time, but I would think they would put him in AAA then.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#7 » by GYBE » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 am

Bleeding Green wrote:The only guys I feel really confident about their ability to stay in CF longterm are the two Uptons, Ellsbury, Cabrera and Young.

Pie will always be a CF. Whether he can hit well enough to start for years to come is another story. But he's great on defense and doesn't have the frame to really add that much muscle.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#8 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 am

I always wonder about the influx of great youth in CF and whether like you said, its a coincidence or if there is really that much talent. Like you said, part of it is that a number of these guys move to the corners (Martinez and Tabata pretty much already have, Tabata is officially a RF now), but there is another aspect to it.

Guys who usually play centerfield are usually the best athletes. Also, the best prospects in terms of having the most upside, are also usually the best athletes. You always read scouting reports on CF prospects saying that they're such great athletes and they are so fast, IF they can add power or IF they can learn the strike zone they will be great. Thats part of it also, but there is definitely a ton of talent at the position right now.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:46 pm

The Marlins are starting Maybin down in Dub-A this season and will probably keep him in the minors for most of the year. Apparently they got the memo that he needs to work on his pitch recognition and plate discipline.

List-wise, I see the top like this (in descending order):

Grady Sizemore
Jay Bruce
Justin Upton
Cam Maybin
Chris Young
Colby Rasmus
Jacoby Ellsbury

Then a cluster-f*ck of the following (in no order):

Melky Cabrera
Felix Pie
Carlos Gomez
Andrew McCutchen
Carlos Gonzalez

Guys moving off center (descending order):

BJ Upton
Adam Jones
Matt Kemp
Lastings Milledge
Hunter Pence
Elijah Dukes

I like Maybin more than most and still think he has the potential to become a legitimate 30-30 guy with a modest-good batting average and OBA.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
kcthekid
Starter
And1: 3

Post#10 » by kcthekid » Sat Apr 5, 2008 5:07 am

no rios or wells?
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Apr 5, 2008 6:03 am

Yeah, you guys forgot about TJ Ford, too.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 5, 2008 6:54 am

kcthekid wrote:no rios or wells?

Rios doesn't play center field and Wells isn't young.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
kcthekid
Starter
And1: 3

Post#13 » by kcthekid » Sat Apr 5, 2008 10:02 pm

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rios doesn't play center field and Wells isn't young.

rios has played cf, he just has the better arm, they put him in right
my bad for wells, i thought he was 27, according to wikipedia hes 29
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,441

Post#14 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 5, 2008 11:07 pm

kcthekid wrote:rios has played cf, he just has the better arm, they put him in righ

Right but he doesn't play CF right now. That would be like me asking where Corey Hart is on this list. He has played CF but he normally plays RF.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#15 » by GYBE » Sat Apr 5, 2008 11:12 pm

Hart has been well below-average according to metrics in his time playing CF. I know everyone on the Brewers board expects him to move there for LaPorta, but there isn't any evidence he can be good there.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#16 » by SportsWorld » Sun Apr 6, 2008 1:56 am

This young kid by the name of Corey Patterson looks like he will be a stud in this league.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 9, 2008 12:52 am

So anyone who doesn't have Justin Upton ranked 1 is wrong.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 12:55 am

Bleeding Green wrote:So anyone who doesn't have Justin Upton ranked 1 is wrong.

Like a week ago he wasn't even in your first tier.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 9, 2008 1:10 am

Well, I thought he'd take a while to turn into an amazing player.

But yeah, I was wrong. Watch this guy. I still think he'll take another year before he's really great, though. There is something going on in Arizona. Upton, Young and Reynolds are all busting the **** out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,517

Post#20 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:28 am

Carlos Gomez is a very good player. I see a little of Carlos Beltran in him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Player Comparisons