Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,129

Re: Road to a Championship start he yare, 2022 Draft. 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 9:55 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Of your suggestions Duke - I also like Bennedict Mathurin

Ya I would like the Bennedict fit a lot. Again I think that is where I would be looking at with this draft. I think Bennedict and AJ would be ideal fits. Both with really good size for the 2 and both are good shooters. I think AJ is the better defender at the moment, while Bennedict is a little more advanced on ball compared to AJ.

I think just overall there are a good amount of 2 guards with good size and reasonable skill sets. That would be the way I would be looking if I was Griffin and this front office.

Agree,

However, If I'm NO's management, I build off the coaches philosophy than an often injured players talent & skillset. Catering & trying to apease never works & if the slight chance it does, it's not sustainable.

True. My only caveats to that are

1. Since Zion is on the roster and when he plays, he is elite. I would like to try and maximize that potential.

2. I agree 100% on taking best pick available over fit, as long as there is a clear differential in talent.

So say Pels get the 3rd pick and Chet goes 1st and Sharpe goes 2nd. And I'm looking at Paolo, Jabari, and Ivey for the 3rd pick. While Ivey maybe a better fit over the other two in my opinion. Ya I'm still going to take Jabari or Paolo over Ivey because I think there is a clear talent differential between the two.

But if we're talking say Ty and either Bennedict or AJ. I don't think there is a clear talent advantage for Ty over those guys. Give me the same level player who also fits my current team better as well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#22 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:18 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I totally get what you're saying. I'm just saying if I'm the Pels, I'm done waisting a 1st round pick trying to mold a guard into what they need. They tried that road with NAW and Kira and both are looking like mistakes.

Ty to me is another combo guard/score first PG that is an okay shooter, okayish defender, okay offensive facilitator, and so on. They just went that route with NAW and Kira already.

I'd just much rather them go the route of getting a 2 guard that score. Whether that be AJ, Bennedict, Davis, or so on. I think there are plenty of those kinds of guys in this draft to choose from and I think they all can fit with what the Pels are doing.

IMO Drafting is not an exact science, it's educated guessing & projection, especially for teams looking for upside over a higher floor, which is also no guarantee.

I wish TY was hitting his 3's at a better rate but with all things considered. IMO, It's the better long term move potentially striking out on him which I don't think they will, than trading for either max contract player they've been linked too with similar or greater risk.

For an example hypothetical.. if NAW was better at finishing at the rim & on higher usage .. How different would he be from a maxed out FOX ?

Ya that's the thing with Ty. If he was a knock down shooter or on another level when it comes to running an offense. I would be all for that pick for the Pels.

But with NAW and Kira already on the roster and with this draft being much more loaded with 2 guards and the team also needing a starting 2. I just don't see going with Ty. I think there are better 2 guards then Ty is at the PG spot, who I think will be available (like our separate Bennedict convo haha).

I think Fox is more dynamic than NAW off the dribble. Fox for all his warts, he still is blazing fast. And because of that he can get to the line a lot more than NAW can. NAW is much more of a methodical driver than Fox. Fox is more efficient in the middle areas as well.

But with that said, I'm not fan of either of these guys alongside Zion and Ingram.

Zion showed last year he could handle a bigger on ball role. While the 2nd half so far this season, once they realized the starting backcourt of NAW and Graham isn't a NBA quality backcourt. They've essentially just handed over primary ball handler and offensive runner to BI and he's been great. He's averaging 6.5 assists to just 2 turnovers his last 22 games. And the shorter you make that sample the better (8 assists to 2 turnovers over his last 8 games).

If I'm the Pels at the moment, I'm looking at 3 kinds of players for that PG spot.

1. A truly dynamic offense runner. Even with how good Ingram and Zion have looked on ball the last year and a half, you don't turn down a guy that is elite at running an offense.

2. A smart low volume PG. Like a Lonzo or like a Tyus Jones. Someone who doesn't dominate the ball and Ingram and Zion can be the primary on ball guys. But when the PG does touch it, he makes the smart quick decisions and is capable of running the offense when needed

3. Just a good 3&D guy.

That's pretty much what I would be looking for, for when it comes to the PG spot for the Pels for the starting line up.

Agree again wiith all 3.

3rd times a charm..

Until about 5 games ago most NO fans thought Hayes was a bust too. A simple role change & bam, the lights come on. I think all of Hayes, NAW & KIRA have fallen development victems to trying to appease ZION.

It's unfortunate..

TY & Bennedict would be my 2 picks in the 5-10 range, so I wouldn't be mad with either selection but I do project TY as the better fit. Right or wrongly.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:30 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Ya I would like the Bennedict fit a lot. Again I think that is where I would be looking at with this draft. I think Bennedict and AJ would be ideal fits. Both with really good size for the 2 and both are good shooters. I think AJ is the better defender at the moment, while Bennedict is a little more advanced on ball compared to AJ.

I think just overall there are a good amount of 2 guards with good size and reasonable skill sets. That would be the way I would be looking if I was Griffin and this front office.

Agree,

However, If I'm NO's management, I build off the coaches philosophy than an often injured players talent & skillset. Catering & trying to apease never works & if the slight chance it does, it's not sustainable.

True. My only caveats to that are

1. Since Zion is on the roster and when he plays, he is elite. I would like to try and maximize that potential.

2. I agree 100% on taking best pick available over fit, as long as there is a clear differential in talent.

So say Pels get the 3rd pick and Chet goes 1st and Sharpe goes 2nd. And I'm looking at Paolo, Jabari, and Ivey for the 3rd pick. While Ivey maybe a better fit over the other two in my opinion. Ya I'm still going to take Jabari or Paolo over Ivey because I think there is a clear talent differential between the two.

But if we're talking say Ty and either Bennedict or AJ. I don't think there is a clear talent advantage for Ty over those guys. Give me the same level player who also fits my current team better as well.

It's not going to be much of a discussion if we agree on everything.

To your point, is Zion really on roster ? he's played the equivelent of one full season in his firt 3yrs & there's smoke he's going to push his way out. Knick's are currently moving like they think they have a chance at landing him targeting every player NO's have rumored interest in, like NO's own FOX. (Randle for Fox rumor), (recent CJ interest)

I say once the talent is there then a team can carve out fit because talent is also trade currency. The only way that thinking hurts, is if the talent is overlapping for development & playing time.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 9, 2022 9:30 am

Duke4life831 wrote: But if we're talking say Ty and either Bennedict or AJ. I don't think there is a clear talent advantage for Ty over those guys. Give me the same level player who also fits my current team better as well.

After yesterdays trade on the face of it, it looks like NO's scouts agree with you. NAW & NO's 5-14 protection was traded for CJ.

However, Pels were already putting things together in their last 30 something games where their win last night over Houston has them 2 games over 500 sinvce their slow start. They're already surging in the right diirection, without the addition of CJ, Nance, which is an upgrade over a struggling NAW & Hart because they couldn't space the floor, hit their open shots. Pels should theoretically push the Lakers for 9th seed, who after their blow out loss last night, are only 3.5 games up ion the Pels with their schedule getting tougher & the Pels schedule gettiing easier.

Up 3.5 games on the Pels, Lakers next 3 games is vs Portland, GS, Utah, where it's not hard to imagine a 1-2 stretch, with Portland looking like a free win.

Lakers currently hold the 12th pick, 1 game up on Washington & 1.5 games up on Knicks for the 10th pick. NO's somehow manage to surpass the Lakers for the 9th seed West, they could give a pick in the 12-14 range to Portland for CJ & 2nds for Charlotte while putting Lakers in a position, that if either Washington or Knicks, maybe even both, can close that one game gap. Lakers could find themselves with the 9th or 10th pick owed to NO's for what would be a best case scenario considering if NO's make the PO's the alternatice is Charlotte getting the first 15-130 & Portland getting a FRP apposed to the prior 12-14 & 2, 2nds. Which makes their playin game.. free money. Win/win.

Lakers have struggled to beat teams over 500, even with James, AD & they're heading into the toughest part of their schedule 3 games under 500. Pelicans in turn, who had the 3rd toughest schedule to date, will be heading into the easiest part of theirs with the potential Zion might also return post break, which I assume is what this trade was based on, on top of their surging play without, which has alreafy made it hard for NO's to land a top 10 pick, why not get better & switch draft positions with LA>.

All that said, it's not lost on me with our discussion that they did trade NAW & risk the surer NO's pick in the 5-14 range.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 9:50 am

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote: But if we're talking say Ty and either Bennedict or AJ. I don't think there is a clear talent advantage for Ty over those guys. Give me the same level player who also fits my current team better as well.

After yesterdays trade on the face of it, it looks like NO's scouts agree with you. NAW & NO's 5-14 protection was traded for CJ.

However, Pels were already putting things together in their last 30 something games where their win last night over Houston has them 2 games over 500 sinvce their slow start. They're already surging in the right diirection, without the addition of CJ, Nance, which is an upgrade over a struggling NAW & Hart because they couldn't space the floor, hit their open shots. Pels should theoretically push the Lakers for 9th seed, who after their blow out loss last night, are only 3.5 games up ion the Pels with their schedule getting tougher & the Pels schedule gettiing easier.

Up 3.5 games on the Pels, Lakers next 3 games is vs Portland, GS, Utah, where it's not hard to imagine a 1-2 stretch, with Portland looking like a free win.

Lakers currently hold the 12th pick, 1 game up on Washington & 1.5 games up on Knicks for the 10th pick. NO's somehow manage to surpass the Lakers for the 9th seed West, they could give a pick in the 12-14 range to Portland for CJ & 2nds for Charlotte while putting Lakers in a position, that if either Washington or Knicks, maybe even both, can close that one game gap. Lakers could find themselves with the 9th or 10th pick owed to NO's for what would be a best case scenario considering if NO's make the PO's the alternatice is Charlotte getting the first 15-130 & Portland getting a FRP apposed to the prior 12-14 & 2, 2nds. Which makes their playin game.. free money. Win/win.

Lakers have struggled to beat teams over 500, even with James, AD & they're heading into the toughest part of their schedule 3 games under 500. Pelicans in turn, who had the 3rd toughest schedule to date, will be heading into the easiest part of theirs with the potential Zion might also return post break, which I assume is what this trade was based on, on top of their surging play without, which has alreafy made it hard for NO's to land a top 10 pick, why not get better & switch draft positions with LA>.

All that said, it's not lost on me with our discussion that they did trade NAW & risk the surer NO's pick in the 5-14 range.

Ya I honestly think they're done with those kinds of guards (NAW, Kira, Ty) like we talked about before. I think they've been burned enough trying to draft that kind of player that they're just moving on. And now with CJ here, no need at all for a score first PG. It looks like its Ingram as the primary PG until they find themselves a legit floor general.

I also think them willing to trade this pick away shows they arent really in love with who might be available in their range. I also think its pretty clear they think they have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Like you said, LA is only up a few games over them while they seem to be falling apart at the seems and the Pels have been playing some real solid basketball.

If Zion can return I really like the lineup of

Ingram
CJ
Herb
Zion
Val

bench: Graham, Hayes, Nance

That is a solid 8 man lineup. It starts to get pretty shaky after that, but solid first 8.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 9, 2022 11:02 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Ya I honestly think they're done with those kinds of guards (NAW, Kira, Ty) like we talked about before. I think they've been burned enough trying to draft that kind of player that they're just moving on. And now with CJ here, no need at all for a score first PG. It looks like its Ingram as the primary PG until they find themselves a legit floor general.

I also think them willing to trade this pick away shows they arent really in love with who might be available in their range. I also think its pretty clear they think they have a legit shot at making the playoffs. Like you said, LA is only up a few games over them while they seem to be falling apart at the seems and the Pels have been playing some real solid basketball.

If Zion can return I really like the lineup of

Ingram
CJ
Herb
Zion
Val

bench: Graham, Hayes, Nance

That is a solid 8 man lineup. It starts to get pretty shaky after that, but solid first 8.

I don't know about being done if they had the pick/draft range but they definitely aren't risking the season or Zion's happiness for it.

That said the strategy behind this trade could see the Lakers wind up with the 10th pick if NO's can surplant them for 9th seed, which is a possibility. Lakers could end up with the 10th pick in that scenario, if 2 of 3 of Washington, Knicks, Clipper put it together , with Clippers improving roster trade deadline. Which I'm not to sure wasn't part of the agreement in Portlands attempt to shed salary - (to bolster Clippers) where the combined trades have allowed Portland 46m potential cap space for next season.

NO's before trade were already playing their way out of the top 10. I don't love the target but why not potentially swap positions with LA & surpass them.. currently only 3.5 games back.. Lakers are set to face Portland, GS & Utah for 2 potential losses. While NO's are heading into the easiest part of their schedule after having the 3rd toughest to date. Not factoring CJ & Zion's potential return.

Stil think/prefer

Ingram
3&D - younger, bolster Graham's defense, contract (potentiial rookie scale & control) over max contract.
Herb
Zion
Jonas

None of Graham, Hart or NAW brought the consistency from range CJ will but it's not hard to imagine there could have been better defensive options available at a similar cost ? I think I would have prefered the rumored Barnes target.. but what's done is done.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Didn't see that coming - lol

Lebron put up 30/7/7 with Davis playing & the supposed problem Westboork sitting. LA still lost to a tanking Portland squad playing on a back to back after gutting their roster in 2 deadline trades... Same Portland squad that just got blown out by Orlando the night before.

It's a shame Westbrook is taking all the Heat for LA's season.. if last night showed anything it's that this Lakers team is still better with Westbrook than without. They also probably win with him playing last night.

Lakers 12th pick

.5 games up on Washington, who they face 2 more times - 11th pick
1 game up on the Kicks - 10th pick
3 games up on NO's, who they have to face 3 more times - 9th pick

Lakers SOS = GS - 3 games, Suns - 2 games, Utah - 2 games, Mavs - 2 games, Philly - 1 game, Cavs - 1 game

With 3 of their 10 considered "easy" scheduled games coming against NO's ... Where the fate of that LA/NO's top 10 pick could be in their own hands.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

"I'm tired as hell", going to rest & hope tommorow's trade deadline gives me hope, paraphrasing of course.

Lebron's post game interview sounds like he's getting ready to coast the rest of the way depending on today's outcome.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:43 am

LMAO

Hart in his debut helps Portland take down the Knicks who with a win would have moved LA into a 3 way tie for the 10th pick. He led their starters with a +12 & put up 23pts on 11 shots...

At one point Knicks had a 21pt lead. Hart was -7 with the next best starter -15... Hart ends up +12 & his intensity was the catalyst for their 4th Q performance.

Instead of Knicks pulling even with LA for the 10th pick, Portland pulls even with NO's who owes them their pick 5-14

All I have to say after reading so many excuses for his 6-21, no defense, chuck fest debut. CJ better show up tonight..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:49 am

Recap of what should have been a good night for NO's -

Knicks lose to the tanking Blazers in large part thanks to Harts play.

Wizards lose to an improved Kings squad.

Pelicans lose with CJ going off for 36pts because they can't defend their shadow now. Some think it's a good thing CJ took 24 shots while men like Herb had only 5. I don't, offensive balance is gone... along with the defense, it was hard to watch.

Cherry, would be LA beating GS, lol

I went from liking this team, to not. At this rate defensively, CJ will have to score an efficient 50 for NO's to win... with NO's removing the protection on their pick.. :crazy: :banghead: I might have to retitle this thread to the road to nowhere.

It's looking like luck will be all that remains to salvage what was 2 good looking picks if Greene can't rectify.. Really hoping the Graham/CJ pairing will end sooner rather than later.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:03 am

Hart went to a tanking team & put up 23pts in his debut. He wasn't getting those touches in NO's because BI & Jonas were more of a priority on offensee & the ball was evenly distributed with men like Herb having the off big game..

NO's needed both to improve their defense & 3pt shooting. They wanted CJ for being a great "catch & shoot{ option... someone to take care of the ball & distribute..

CJ has come in & averaged 20 shots in his 2 games... & the ball is not being evenly distributed along with the defenssive hit of both losing Hart & pairing CJ with Graham...

- CJ has taken the primary offensive role from Ingram. Where with both of them the overall shot distribution needs to get better.
- With Graham still in the rotation, it means CJ's defense has replaced Hart's contribution, not Graham's.

So post trade NO's did 2 things.. take the ball out of other players hands & reduce the teams ability to defend. CJ is "NOT" being used in "CATCH & SHOOT" situations, he's become the primary option, error #1 in the purpose of trading ffor him... Secondly I/most new CJ would not improve Graham defensively but I/few expected he'd be replacing Hart's role, not Graham's. These issues are not hard to rectify.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:10 am

How does NO's go about rectifying the situation.

#1 take Graham out for a player similar to Hart or a 3 & D option (Naji or Murphy.. With BI/CJ & Jonas NO's have more than enough offensive options... Do they need a floor spacer like Murphy with them continuing to play Graham or a penetrator like Hart Naji ?...

Murphy in the corners on offense as a set shooter.. Spaces the floor & upgrades Graham defensively
Naji can penetrate like Hart better than Murphy if the need is to collapse the D for BI/CJ.. he also upgrades Graham on D.

CJ - Naji - BI - Herb - Jonas
CJ - Murphy - BI - Herb - Jonas

If Murphy was better off the dribble, Naji wouldn't be an option here... both, worse case, help bolsters the teams D while CJ upgrades Graham's intended catch & shoot role. If BI is average defensively, it reduces the lineup to 2 weak defensive links apposed to 4. Keep in mind defense like offense is played better with each player that upgrades it, same way having multiple shooters upgrades the spacing/threat though they're all not Curry or on his level.. What I'm saying is 2 + defenders whould go a long way in helping BI to be a more average defender. Where he otherwise might have been put on a teams 2nd offensive option with Graham on court... now 3rd option with either Naji, Murphy or etc....

#2 - tone down CJ's usage.. NO's wanted him to take care of the ball, distribute & for catch & shoot situation's not to hijack the offense from BI...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:35 am

NO's offense put up a 120 on Raptors D.
NO's defense held the Raptors to 90pts

Wait, what?

I've said this on the Grizz forum many times but this is how offensive efficiency plays into defense.

On offense CJ put up 23pts on 13 shots, not 20, which he averaged his first 2 games & the Pels had 35 assists on the night. BI being the facilitator with 8 assists ... This looks more like what was envisioned. Can't double/triple him now but the offense needs to still run through him.

ON defense, Raptors shot 23% from 3 & Graham was a team hign +27, wait what ?.

Pelicans as a team shot efficiently, Raptors didn't, how much of that was attributed to either teams defensive performance ?.. IMO, Raptors defense couldn't handle the Pels sze/length as with many teams but I think Raptors had more of an off night shooting... Than the Pels locking them down to a 23% shooting performance. Would love to be wrong here.

None the less, much better showing, ball distribution & coheasion, post trade.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Whole Truth » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:54 am

Knicks had a 2 point lead with 5 secs left but lost in OT. A win here would have seen LA fall to a tie for the 10th pick, with them set to face Utah tonight. Was hoping Knicks would find a rythym post trade but it's looking like them & the Clippers might end up the difference for that NO's/Lakers pick, maybe both.

Good news with the Knicks looking inept & the Clippers injury riddled. The supposedly tanking Blazers have rattled off 3 straight wins to pull within 2 games of LA, with Pels hungry, in tow & set to face LA 3 times. The fate of that pick could very well be in their own hands.

If the league didn't help LA Saturday with 3 teams in chase losing to 3 teams worse than themselves with suspect officiating, LA would already be holding the 10th pick with Porland a game & a half back to potentially push them to 9th pick out of the playin.. This is wny NO's whistle was what it was vs the Spurs. League trying to keep too many teams from being in position to push Lebron out the playin.

NO's 3.5 games back now 3, got a good whistle tonight because a Raptors win would have pushed Boston out the 6th seed. This IS NBA officiating. It's beyond obvious their subjectivity caters to stars & ratings. None are as blind as those who refuse to see.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:47 am

CJ is a clear offensive upgrade to Graham, we knew that. Problem is, NO's have not replaced Harts intensity, ball pressure & rebounding ability. The veteran solution Temple was -23 in his 18 mins last night. NO's also lost the battle on the boards with Jonas pulling down 18 boards ... Where an offensive outburst from CJ is not & will not be enough to offset that along with an off night from BI, who shot 6-21 from the field. With this current defense, there's no more margin for error offensively to also compound it with off nights & O boards for 2nd chance opportunity,..

The other night, Adams bested Jonas in their matchup on the boards but so did Memphis as a team which has become a theme of late without Hart... Memphis had a concerted effort to own the boards & they did, as a team, not one player. It was ultimately the difference in that game without even factoring the weak TO's.. One of the main areas NO's downgraded losing Hart from the rotation.

NO's were also playing decent/passable defense during their winning streak before trade, now fans are blaming the slow footed big in drop coverage for the clear lack of ball pressure.. This is why I prefffered targeting Simmons defense/rebounding & versatility to CJ's offensove upgrade. Spacing wasn't NO's only issue prior to trade... a team that already had defensive issues, used 2 of their best perimeter defenders to upgrade offensively post trade.. reducing their offensive option Graham to 4 shots, no defense & rebounding in the role Hart played prior to trade..

I haven't seen enough to know why the team is not considering Naji in Harts role ?. The starting lineup doesn't need more offense, if Naji can get after it defensively, crash the boards & hit the occassional open 3 while bringing a defensive intensity & pressure to the hoop, then NO's could semi replace what Hart brought to the table while CJ clearly upgrades Graham at the 1.

CJ didn't work with Lilliard with a set of different big men in the fold. The **** makes anyone think he'll work with Graham.

The issue was & still is the defensive fit & the vet Temple ain't it.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:38 pm

NO's are 1-4 since trading for CJ,, went from a game up to 2 games back of 10th Portland who they are holding the 7th pick for with Hart being a main reason they've started winning, ooof.

Compound it by the fact they looked like they had a better chance of passing LA prior to trade to force their pick top 10. The results currently don't look good for either pick.

Hopefully NO's turn it around post allstar break though I don't see how they improve defensively traiding away 2 of their better perimeter defenders for an offensive option but we'll see. Atleast luck is still remains a factor.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:07 pm

Whole Truth wrote:NO's are 1-4 since trading for CJ,, went from a game up to 2 games back of 10th Portland who they are holding the 7th pick for with Hart being a main reason they've started winning, ooof.

Compound it by the fact they looked like they had a better chance of passing LA prior to trade to force their pick top 10. The results currently don't look good for either pick.

Hopefully NO's turn it around post allstar break though I don't see how they improve defensively traiding away 2 of their better perimeter defenders for an offensive option but we'll see. Atleast luck is still remains a factor.

I think its very dumb that they're starting the backcourt of Graham and CJ. This is looking like the Pels that started 1-12.

The defensive combination of those two is just horrible, you cant have a defensive backcourt that is both that bad defensively and that small.

Also what makes no sense is the thing that turned around the season was getting away from a tiny bad defensive backcourt and putting the ball in Ingram's hands. Well they've taken the ball out of Ingram's hands again. Now CJ is the #1 option in both FGAs and with the ball in his hands and running the offense. Ingram was playing some of his best basketball we've seen from him in that role, then once the trade happen he has been horrible. You're now asking him to change his role again.

I honestly thought the idea of this trade was to have CJ come in and adjust to the new style that the Pels have been going with. But its been the complete opposite, they brought CJ in and handed him the team and now asking Ingram to adjust to that. Which again makes no sense because they were actually playing good basketball for the last 40 games with Ingram being the guy.

But ya they cant keep going with that tiny backcourt. The previous 37 games prior to the Pels actually had an okay defense. They had a Defensive Rating of 110 and was the 12th best defense in that time. In the 5 games with CJ, the Defensive Rating is up to 119.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:11 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I think its very dumb that they're starting the backcourt of Graham and CJ. This is looking like the Pels that started 1-12.

The defensive combination of those two is just horrible, you cant have a defensive backcourt that is both that bad defensively and that small.

Also what makes no sense is the thing that turned around the season was getting away from a tiny bad defensive backcourt and putting the ball in Ingram's hands. Well they've taken the ball out of Ingram's hands again. Now CJ is the #1 option in both FGAs and with the ball in his hands and running the offense. Ingram was playing some of his best basketball we've seen from him in that role, then once the trade happen he has been horrible. You're now asking him to change his role again.

I honestly thought the idea of this trade was to have CJ come in and adjust to the new style that the Pels have been going with. But its been the complete opposite, they brought CJ in and handed him the team and now asking Ingram to adjust to that. Which again makes no sense because they were actually playing good basketball for the last 40 games with Ingram being the guy.

But ya they cant keep going with that tiny backcourt. The previous 37 games prior to the Pels actually had an okay defense. They had a Defensive Rating of 110 and was the 12th best defense in that time. In the 5 games with CJ, the Defensive Rating is up to 119.

Yup.. this is why I preferred Simmons defensive versatility & reluctance to dominate the offense. NO's needed to compliment the roster defensively as much, if not more, than they needed another small non defensive, scoring, combo guard. Simmons is arguably the leagues best perimeter defender where NO's could have utilized him from large/lengthy PG to Small ball 5. Leaving BI in the role you just described.. Gaining, Instead of losing, size/length, versatility, defense & rebounding.

Don't get me wrong. CJ masively upgrades Graham in his/their intended role. Problem is, he didn't replace Graham.

Graham is unsuccesfully replacing Hart's size/strength, energy, defense & rebounding... NO's as a result, have been killed on the boards since trade to no small margin. O rebounds especially. Even in a game vs Mavs where Jonas pulled down 18 boards by himself before we even discuss the lack of D.

There's a human element I can't account for but the solution IMO should otherwise be an easy one for the starting rotation. Who of the available options best replicate what Hart brought to the table between Herb/Naji/TM3 etc ?...

Unfortunately, the roster imbalance post trade, having traded out 2 of the teams best defenders & backcourt size, creates another problem. When you send Graham to the bench. Do you play him & Alvarado together for an even smaller backcourt ? or over one another at point ? where you are faced with sitting a player the GM just gave up a pick for .. Personally, I think that is NO's "only viable option with another pick on the line, as Alvarado is more fiesty defensively than CJ, & they'd be facing lesser comp off the bench.

Jonas/Herb/BI/(Naji or TM3)/CJ

Trying to find roster balance, this starting unit allows Greene to play Hermangomez & Hayes length together off the bench to help makeup for pairing Graham with Alvarado. With Jonas, BI, CJ all very capable scorers & high usage, which has Graham currently averaging 5 APG starting while bringing not much else. All TM3 or Naji would have to do in that starting rotation, is bring energy, defend & hit the open 3. Personally I think Naji is closest to replicating Hart but TM3 could find the most success playing off of Jonas. CJ & BI drawing defenses.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:17 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

"I'm tired as hell", going to rest & hope tommorow's trade deadline gives me hope, paraphrasing of course.

Lebron's post game interview sounds like he's getting ready to coast the rest of the way depending on today's outcome.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265932/Source-Likens-Situation-Between-LeBron-James-Lakers-To-The-Early-Days-Of-A-War

"One source, however, characterized the situation between James and the Los Angeles Lakers as being similar to "the early days of a war."

It'll be interesting to see how Lebron leverages himself in this situation.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:25 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think its very dumb that they're starting the backcourt of Graham and CJ. This is looking like the Pels that started 1-12.

Yup.. this is why I preferred Simmons defensive versatility & reluctance to dominate the offense. NO's needed to compliment the roster defensively as much, if not more, than they needed another small non defensive, scoring, combo guard. Simmons is arguably the leagues best perimeter defender where NO's could have utilized him from large/lengthy PG to Small ball 5. Leaving BI in the role you just described.. Gaining, Instead of losing, size/length, versatility, defense & rebounding.

Don't get me wrong. CJ masively upgrades Graham in his/their intended role. Problem is, he didn't replace Graham.

Graham is unsuccesfully replacing Hart's size/strength, energy, defense & rebounding... NO's as a result, have been killed on the boards since trade to no small margin. O rebounds especially. Even in a game vs Mavs where Jonas pulled down 18 boards by himself before we even discuss the lack of D.

There's a human element I can't account for but the solution IMO should otherwise be an easy one for the starting rotation. Who of the available options best replicate what Hart brought to the table between Herb/Naji/TM3 etc ?...

Unfortunately, the roster imbalance post trade, having traded out 2 of the teams best defenders & backcourt size, creates another problem. When you send Graham to the bench. Do you play him & Alvarado together for an even smaller backcourt ? or over one another at point ? where you are faced with sitting a player the GM just gave up a pick for .. Personally, I think that is NO's "only viable option with another pick on the line, as Alvarado is more fiesty defensively than CJ, & they'd be facing lesser comp off the bench.

Jonas/Herb/BI/(Naji or TM3)/CJ

Trying to find roster balance, this starting unit allows Greene to play Hermangomez & Hayes length together off the bench to help makeup for pairing Graham with Alvarado. With Jonas, BI, CJ all very capable scorers & high usage, which has Graham currently averaging 5 APG starting while bringing not much else. All TM3 or Naji would have to do in that starting rotation, is bring energy, defend & hit the open 3. Personally I think Naji is closest to replicating Hart but TM3 could find the most success playing off of Jonas. CJ & BI drawing defenses.

My big question is, is the team and Zion friction as bad as it currently seems publicity? If so how long has it been like this behind the scenes? If it is as bad as it seems and it's been like this for awhile, they really should've gone after Simmons. Simmons is a much better piece long term to build around with Ingram than CJ. I'm beginning to fear that the CJ trade was a last minute hail Mary to try and convince Zion to stay. Also I guess another thing to think about with the Simmons thing is, would he even be willing to play for NO and how long until he demands a trade?

And ya when it comes to the current roster. Man what a disappointment it has been so far after the trade. I really thought they were going to go bigger and like you said it would be CJ replacing Graham. I really felt like it was set up for that with how they were using Ingram.

In all honesty I think starting the Graham/CJ lineup is probably the worst thing they can be doing. Obviously this would be much easier if Nance wasn't hurt. But ya id rather send CJ to the bench and have either Murphy or Naji in the starting lineup. Hell I even think Temple in their would be a better idea, even with how bad he's played. Or even go with a twin tower starting lineup with Hayes out there.

I just don't think you can have a starting backcourt of those two tiny guards that play zero defense. Again id rather them just go big then basically say it's up to Ingram, CJ and Jonas to figure out the scoring aspect.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans