And1: 358

Tampa and Chicago trade 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Tue Apr 1, 2008 2:19 pm

Matt Murton (career .820 OPS)
Sean Marshall (3.92 ERA last season)

for

Reid Brignac
low-level pitching prospect

Marshall is a nice addition to the back of Tampa's rotation. He doesn't have great stuff, but he's young, cheap and consistent. And he's not being used in Chicago. Murton also doesn't have a role, and is probably better suited to the AL because of his defensive limitations. He's better than Cliff Floyd, or could platoon with Gomes. Both guys are young enough to grow with the team.

Brignac could be a star at SS, but is still unproven at the major league level. It's a position the Cubs desperately need a talent infusion at with Theriot and Cedeno holding the fort. They'd be trading two useful pieces, but guys unlikely to ever make big impacts on a championship team.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 5:24 pm

Don't see the reason the Rays give up their SS of the future for a pitcher who sits at 87 that they don't need at all. And a OF that can't even make the Cubs big league team when they have Fernando Perez who will be ready in a couple months and Desmond Jennings in the long run. I'm pretty sure the Rays know they aren't competing this year.

Edit- Also I forgot about Justin Ruggiano who ZiPS loves and has spent a full season in AAA. Now I have heard that the Rays want an extra outfielder, but theres no way they are trading their future SS for one, it just makes no sense at all.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by GYBE » Tue Apr 1, 2008 7:52 pm

Edwin Jackson and Jason Hammel are in their rotation, they could use Marshall. He's left-handed and would probably provide 180 IP of just below league-average work, a solid arm for the back of the rotation.

Saying Murton can't make the Cubs team is misleading since he's better than a number of players on it. If he could play any defense or the Cubs didn't have an elite pinch hitter, he'd be playing.

Brignac probably is too high a price, but I think the teams could be trading partners. The Rays farm system is loaded and the Cubs could give them proven players that fill holes. For what it's worth, I think the Rays can compete this year.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 8:12 pm

Edwin Jackson and Jason Hammel also have really big upsides if they ever get there self straight, which likely won't happen. But still they have no need for Marshall, they have Niemann ready in the minors too. With Chris Mason being ready in a couple months. Jackson and Hammel also look worse than they are because of the terrible defense they played behind. As a Cardinal fan I wish they would go after one of them. What would be the value of Marshall next year when the Rays have Price, McGee, and Davis ready?

Is Murton considerably better than Ruggiano or Perez? I don't see it.

Of course the Rays could be good trading partners with anyone, they have great cheap young talent what everyone wants.

I just don't see the Rays trading Briggy unless they absolutely rob someone. And it's not like they need another position to be filled, they are pretty stacked, if they trade away Briggy their main need will be MI, so it just further doesn't make sense.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Tue Apr 1, 2008 8:13 pm

Jackson and Hammel most likely won't be in their rotation for long, though. Not with the talent coming through the ranks, all which grade to be much better than Sean Marshall.

Murton's not really going to help the Rays all that much as he doesn't platoon well with Jonny Gomes and he's not the kind of player you'd really want to feature as a full-time corner OF. That isn't to say he wouldn't be a serviceable one; he's just not the kind of player good teams marginally upgrade with.

He'd make a lot of sense going to the Indians, though. Because he'd be a serious upgrade over their corner OFs.
Jakespeare
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Jakespeare » Tue Apr 1, 2008 8:45 pm

As a Rays fan I am not happy about this trade. I love Brignac and his potential. I have followed him since he was drafted, and he was going to be our SS of the future. :angry: Murton is not much better than Gomes or Floyd, and he can't field for anything. While Marshall is certainly an upgrade over Edwin and Hammel, with the talent we have coming soon, this deal was not needed. Definitely hurt this team.
Jakespeare
General Manager

Post#7 » by Jakespeare » Tue Apr 1, 2008 8:55 pm

Just wondering, is this an april fools thing? No link, and I can't find this anywhere. . .
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 9:08 pm

Mr. Wonderful wrote:Just wondering, is this an april fools thing? No link, and I can't find this anywhere. . .

He was just suggesting it.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by GYBE » Tue Apr 1, 2008 9:10 pm

This isn't a real trade that happened, this board is usually used for speculative trades that might be possible. This one doesn't appear to be though.

Basketball Jesus wrote:He'd make a lot of sense going to the Indians, though. Because he'd be a serious upgrade over their corner OFs.

Do you think they'd give up Peralta for a similiar package? Or an expanded one? I've wanted him for a couple years now and I know the Indians would like to move Cabrera to SS in the future.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#10 » by studcrackers » Tue Apr 1, 2008 9:11 pm

its not an actual trade someone the thread starter just proposed it
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Jakespeare
General Manager

Post#11 » by Jakespeare » Tue Apr 1, 2008 10:04 pm

Oh thank god. I would be really pissed. So if it wasn't clear, I would NOT do this deal. Brignac is going to be our star SS.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Basketball Jesus » Tue Apr 1, 2008 10:42 pm

GYBE wrote:Do you think they'd give up Peralta for a similiar package? Or an expanded one? I've wanted him for a couple years now and I know the Indians would like to move Cabrera to SS in the future.

It would have to be a serious package for the Indians to move Peralta. Much, much more value than Murton and Gallagher or Marshall and another spect. Peralta's contract and performance at his position (even if he's a sucky fielder) make him one of the best bargains in the game.

Murton for one of the Indians' plethora of #5 starters would be pretty even although a bit redundant for the Cubs.
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#13 » by TSC25 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:39 am

GYBE wrote:This isn't a real trade that happened, this board is usually used for speculative trades that might be possible. This one doesn't appear to be though.

Well said!

Return to Trades and Transactions