Seattle/Cincinnatti

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Seattle/Cincinnatti 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Fri Apr 4, 2008 4:27 pm

Ken Griffey Jr for Kenji Johjima

This was mentioned in the baseball preview of SI and I think it makes sense. The Mariners offense needs some help, they don't have much power and need to get on base more. Griffey provides both, and could extend his career by playing DH. Johjima is alright, but Jeff Clement could probably replicate his offense immediately at a much cheaper price.

The Reds have a surplus of good outfielders who deserve playing time and have a hole at catcher. Griffey doesn't fit in with a relatively young team anymore and should be traded this year. They acquire a nice stopgap at catcher until Devin Mesoraco is ready to play.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Post#2 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:05 pm

Griffey is worth much more than that.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#3 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:07 pm

This is the kind of move a near-contender would make. The Mariners aren
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#4 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:09 pm

trwi7 wrote:Griffey is worth much more than that.

He
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by GYBE » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:11 pm

I don't think so. He has a club option for $16.5 million that likely won't be picked up, so he'll be a FA after this season. He'd re-sign with Seattle, but his contract status limits his value on the open market. He probably only has 2-3 seasons left anyways. His defense has really declined and he's a massive injury risk every season.

Johjima's a pretty safe bet to be an average catcher for the next 5 years and makes a lot less.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by GYBE » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:14 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:I
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Seattle/Cincinnatti 

Post#7 » by b_roy7 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:32 pm

GYBE wrote:Ken Griffey Jr for Kenji Johjima

This was mentioned in the baseball preview of SI and I think it makes sense. The Mariners offense needs some help, they don't have much power and need to get on base more. Griffey provides both, and could extend his career by playing DH. Johjima is alright, but Jeff Clement could probably replicate his offense immediately at a much cheaper price.

The Reds have a surplus of good outfielders who deserve playing time and have a hole at catcher. Griffey doesn't fit in with a relatively young team anymore and should be traded this year. They acquire a nice stopgap at catcher until Devin Mesoraco is ready to play.
I'd rather have him play LF and Ibanez DH. Maybe rotate the 2 every few games.

It's not a bad trade, but Griffey is old.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Post#8 » by Silver Man » Fri Apr 4, 2008 10:52 pm

Both teams decline so this trade would never even be brought up.

The Mariners would want to have some younger players, plus Ken wouldn't be their long.

The Reds I'm not sure they really want to trade away Ken for Kenji.
kcthekid
Starter
And1: 3

Post#9 » by kcthekid » Sat Apr 5, 2008 5:04 am

tor counters with brandon league and adam lind
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#10 » by Schad » Sat Apr 5, 2008 9:27 am

kcthekid wrote:tor counters with brandon league and adam lind

For Griffey? Agreed 100%; what we really need is another mid-90s star who is weeks away from his deathbed.

Though I've long since soured on League as our Setup Guy/Close/Saviour Of the Future, and am fairly certain that the only way Adam Lind becomes a star is if he makes a sex tape with a teenage pop diva, trading the both of them to stick a 38 year old with a history of joint problems on Turf doesn't seem like the greatest idea.
**** your asterisk.
kcthekid
Starter
And1: 3

Post#11 » by kcthekid » Sat Apr 5, 2008 9:52 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

For Griffey? Agreed 100%; what we really need is another mid-90s star who is weeks away from his deathbed.

Though I've long since soured on League as our Setup Guy/Close/Saviour Of the Future, and am fairly certain that the only way Adam Lind becomes a star is if he makes a sex tape with a teenage pop diva, trading the both of them to stick a 38 year old with a history of joint problems on Turf doesn't seem like the greatest idea.

lind isnt going anywhere, i dont like league long term here
we need him!
*watches little big leagues*
*finds snes and plays ken griffey jrs baseball for hrs*
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#12 » by HCYanks » Sun Apr 6, 2008 12:10 am

He brings up a good point. If the Jays traded for Griffey, they'd have a monopoly on players with 1990s video games named after them.

That's an easy road to success.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Apr 6, 2008 1:39 am

DOS Product. That's all you need to know.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by GYBE » Sun Apr 6, 2008 2:24 am

HCYanks wrote:He brings up a good point. If the Jays traded for Griffey, they'd have a monopoly on players with 1990s video games named after them.

Is Tommy LaSorda available to manage?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#15 » by studcrackers » Sun Apr 6, 2008 9:10 am

HCYanks wrote:He brings up a good point. If the Jays traded for Griffey, they'd have a monopoly on players with 1990s video games named after them.

(picture)

That's an easy road to success.

i remember that game, we got our 1st computer i think in 95 or 96 and shortly thereafter my parents got me that game
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
TSC25
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#16 » by TSC25 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 2:34 am

I'd say the Reds should go after Ramon Hernandez from Baltimore,I'd say he'd be a good fit for there young pitchers.

Return to Trades and Transactions