New to Fantasy Ball

Moderator: TyCobb

CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

New to Fantasy Ball 

Post#1 » by CrookedJ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Long time Jays fan, but never played fantasy baseball before.

Aside from general impressions, would like to know best way to allocate bench between Batters and Pitchers? Should I have it even as is, or load up some sleepers in one or the other? I'd love to pick up Henderson Alvarez, but can't decided where to drop. Is it smart to have two young prospect type 2B? I missed the boat on the really productive ones.

Batters:
Stats: (R) (HR) (RBI) (SB) (AVG)

C Wilson Ramos
1B Billy Butler
2B Dustin Ackley
3B Brett Lawrie
SS Dee Gordon
OF Carlos GonzĂ¡lez
OF Jay Bruce
OF Alex Gordon
Util Aramis RamĂ­rez
Util Cameron Maybin

BN Jason Kipnis
BN Alejandro De Aza
BN Carlos Peña

Pitchers: (W) (SV) (K) ERA WHIP

SP Roy Halladay
SP Cole Hamels
RP Jordan Walden
RP Joe Nathan
P C.J. Wilson
P Matt Garza
P Brandon Beachy
P Jeremy Hellickson

BN Johan Santana
BN Mike Minor
Paraglock
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: New to Fantasy Ball 

Post#2 » by Paraglock » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Dump Minor, and pick up Alvarez, watch his numbers though If his ERA gets above 2.50 I would either bench him or dump him for better ERA.

Switch Lawrie and A. Ramirez....

Drop De Aza and pick up a CF who has more HR's and a better Avg

I wouldn't have two pitchers on the same team filling up your Starting pitchers spots, as they can't both start on the same day. Switch Hamels with Wilson.

Guys like De Aza, Minor, and Alvarez will almost always be available in FA, so don't worry about them getting picked up by different teams

Hope this helps..
"Life is Tough....Tougher if you are Stupid."
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#3 » by CrookedJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 am

Thanks a bunch... Will let you know how this works for me.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:29 am

lol thanks a bunch? The guy just told you to switch 2 starters for 2 starters, which makes no sense. Then told you to release a SP if he can't keep a 2.5 ERA. Some of the weirdest **** I've ever heard.
Paraglock
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Paraglock » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Always worked for me.
"Life is Tough....Tougher if you are Stupid."
yanksknicks101
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#6 » by yanksknicks101 » Sun Apr 1, 2012 4:37 am

i agree with big boy, it doesnt matter if lawrie plays at util and aramis plays at 3B, the stats they accumulate are not discounted or at a premium depending on where they play. Same thing with the pitchers, it doesn't matter if Cole Hamels starts at SP or P, you still get the stats so that advice was odd and not helpful.

If you play in a somewhat competitive league, de aza and alvarez are not waiver wire material and minor is on the fringe. If he gets an era over 2.50, dump him? That must mean greinke and CC Sabathia are horrible pitchers...

Minor is your best bet to drop. You can trade either Ackley or Kipnis to someone, but Ackley will get you more in a deal most likely. You can spin the fact that he already has a homer to someone and they might bite. Your team needs more power, but i think you got Pena to plug him in for homers. You only have two closers and most people take 3 so either you have to pick one up to contend for saves, punt the category or trade for a closer (dont trade for one). Besides that, i like your chances

Return to Fantasy Baseball