ImageImageImageImage

Season Game Thread

KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: Season Game Thread 

Post#41 » by KGboss » Sat Jul 2, 2011 2:29 am

Pretty good game tonight. down 1-5 and by the end of the 7th up 7-5.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#42 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 9, 2011 3:16 pm

That was a pretty entertaining fight. Gregg was asking for it.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#43 » by Dirty Water » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:11 am

Sox strategy right now is one of 3 things: Beckett pitches, score 10 runs or hope for rain. Workin for them
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#44 » by thesack12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Sox really need to get another starting pitcher, even if its just an end of the rotation guy.

Miller's record is nowhere near telling of how awful he is actually pitching. I can't remember the last time he had a completely clean inning, meaning nobody getting on base. He gets pounded, and gives up a ton of walks. Seems like every time I see him on the mound, there are 2 runners on. It seems like he is constantly getting behind in the count, and his pitch count is already in the 80's by the 4th inning. His record is a direct result of getting massive run support from the best offense in baseball. When the staff gets fully healthy he needs to be sent down. There is a reason why a couple of teams have already given up on him, even though he is still rather young.

I love Wake, but he is not pitching that well either. At least he has an excuse in that he is in his mid 40's. IMO his best role is a long reliever and I don't think he will be on the postseason roster.

Lackey has started to turn it around, but he was absolutely awful before his last 4 or so starts. I just can't have a lot of confidence in him. Hopefully he continues to get re-railed, so the Sox can be completely comfortable rolling with him.

Lester recently returned, but he is still not 100% and really hasn't been much of an inning eater all year so far. It seems like Buchholz has been on the DL for months, and there is still no timetable for his return. Buch has the tendency to get banged up and go on DL stints fairly often. Which is another reason I think Theo needs to get an insurance policy before Saturday. Maybe Aceves, who has been REALLY valuable and versatile thus far, can be that guy. But I think Aceves best role is being the primary long reliever.

Beckett- Stud
Lester- Great when healthy, but has been banged up and hasn't gone deep very often
Buchholz- On DL for who knows how much longer, solid but not great pitcher
Lackey- Has chronic elbow issues, and has been shaky even when healthy
Miller- Minor league pitcher
Wake- too old to be reliable and gets pounded a lot these days
Weiland- Been decent when called upon, but not ready to be consistently counted upon

I really think Theo needs to grab another starting pitcher. The rotation has some questions, and if one of the top 3 guys are hurt (or continue to be), its gonna get iffy especially in the postseason. Ideally Theo pulls off a deal for King Felix or Jimenez, but neither of those guys are realistic. Somebody like Kuroda, Bedard, or Harden would a decent insurance policy....

On another note, I really dont ever want to see that lineup that was run out there last night again. McDonald should never play, let alone lead off for this offense. Scutaro should bat no higher than 7th, but he was 2nd last night. Navarro is neck and neck with McDonald as the worst hitter on the team, but at least he was 9th. Navarro and McDonald are absolutely horrible offensive players.

The bench needs an upgrade, which can be done without giving up a lot of value. A bench platoon of McDonald/Navarro/Sutton/Drew doesn't inspire much confidence. It will be a boost when Lowrie gets back (but there is still no timetable on that). However the BoSox still need a competent 4th outfielder. These days I have my doubts that Drew is that guy. At this point, I wouldn't consider Tek to be a good option for a pinch hit (and certainly not a pinch run) situation either.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Read the past two days that the sox were in on bedard.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#46 » by thesack12 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Read the past two days that the sox were in on bedard.

He is scheduled to come off the DL and start tommorrow. He has been banged up a lot over the past couple years. But if he shows to be somewhat healthy tommorrow night, I'd be perfectly ok grabbing him. We know he is intimately familiar with the AL East. Its a bit of a risk, but standing pat with the current rotation's situation is arguably more of a risk.

He should come relatively cheap since he has been so banged up, and will be a free agent this winter. He could probably be had for a B level prospect. Considering his health that seems a tad steep on the surface, but there are a lot of teams looking for starting pitching and there just doesn't seem to be a lot available on the market. Boston will likely lose a guy or two in the rule 5 draft anyways, so it makes a couple of those B level guys expendable....

On a side note I heard today that Houston is starting to perk up their ears about Hunter Pence, and Boston is one of the teams in on him. I like Reddick and he has been great so far, but I'm skeptical he can sustain that production and will never be more valuable than he is right now. There might already be early signs of chinks in the armor as he is 1 for his last 9 with 4 strikeouts. Pence is a proven star, would provide a great everyday option in right field, provide a much needed right handed bat in the lineup, is only 28 and isn't eligible for free agency until 2013. I would easily give Reddick + a prospect or two to get Pence. Pence sports a good bat in that horrid Houston lineup in which he has basically no protection. How great could he be in Boston's lineup?

I still think starting pitching is the biggest concern going forward. That said if Theo can't can't find an upgrade to the staff, adding more explosiveness to an already great lineup is the next best thing. If your pitching is not that great, you want to be able to put apply all of the offensive pressure you can to the opposing pitcher.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Gonzalez
Youkilis
Ortiz
Pence
Crawford
Saltalamachia/Varitek
Scutaro/Lowrie

:droop:
thesack12
RealGM

Post#47 » by thesack12 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 am

Well, Bedard was absolutely terrible in his start tonight. Gave up 5 earned runs and 4 walks and only recorded 4 outs. Thats ridiculously bad. Maybe it was just rust due to being on the shelf for awhile, but Boston needs a rotation arm right now. So I don't think he's an option now.

Also, Pence just got traded to Philly. Was for a pretty watered down package as well. That team was already really strong and just got much better. Plus, they still have the luxury of having a stud on the mound every night.

Still think Boston needs to find another outfield bat. Reddick is now 1-12 with 6 strikeouts in the last 3 games. He certainly seems to be coming back to Earth. Right field is starting to become an issue again. Even when Redd was hot, Boston still needed a right handed bat.

A starting arm is still the biggest priority. I heard Boston is going hard for Ubaldo. I just don't know how realistic that is. Even if they are actually willing to give him up, its gonna take a monster package. Don't know if Theo is willing to make a move like that coming off the Gonzo trade.

Theo needs to make a move this weekend. That said, I'm not sure a minor move is gonna allow Boston to close the deal in October.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Season Game Thread 

Post#48 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Yeah I saw that. ouch poor bedard.

Ubaldo would be nice cause he's under team control for a few more years.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:51 am

Rich got Richer Harden

8-)
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 am

or not....

Deal falls through.

Mike Aviles is a red sox though. That is for sure.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 am

Alex Speier
Baseball source: Uncertainty after review of medicals led to Harden deal coming apart.

Who else is out there?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Sox get Erik Bedard at the last moment.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/e ... um=twitter
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#53 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Aug 5, 2011 12:49 am

That's it for Bedard on the night.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#54 » by Geoffrey P » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:01 pm

I would like to express my disgust for the Sox currently. Getting the **** beat out of them the past ten games. They've just been pathetic overall. Unacceptable in my books...
KGboss
RealGM

Post#55 » by KGboss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:04 am

WTF has been going on with this team the past week and a half? They went from the second best record in the league to TB only being 3.5 games behind them now.

I'm beyond pissed at this point.

PICK IT UP.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#56 » by KGboss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:41 pm

So should we just give up hope at this point?

I don't even think Beckett can bring us out of whatever this is right now. We aren't going anywhere this year.

Fire all these pitchers, retain the offense next year and get a better pitching staff. PLEASE.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:17 am

Down to 2.... eesh
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Sox chipping away at this lead. Could be turning point if we get a comeback win in the first half of this double header.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:02 pm

Got damn.
KGboss
RealGM

Post#60 » by KGboss » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Got damn.

This really does suck...

I just can't get over the fact that before the last road trip we were second place around the entire league, and now we are almost out of it all together.

People wonder why Sox fans still have post traumatic stress disorder even though we won in 04 and 07.

Crazy...

Return to Boston Red Sox