4/6 versus Yankees Loss 6-4
4/4 versus Yankees Win 9-7
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Season Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Beltre and Hermidia are the two new faces who are looking pretty good right now.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#3 » by Dirty Water » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

I don't want to be quick to jump to conclusions but imo we should platoon Cameron and Hermida. And also platoon Ortiz and Lowell
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#4 » by Tenbomber » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 pm

If pitching and defense are supposed to carry this team, today's Minnesotta effort would indicate that we are in SERIOUS TROUBLE....

The Twins shut out the Sox 8-0.

Thats bad enough but so far during this young season very little has gone right...

Throwing errors... dropped balls in the outfield....bad throws in the infield....and if you don't score a pile of runs for Wakefield, you better not pitch him more than a few innings cause he's not fooling anyone much out there....

The Twins exposed the throwing of Victor Martinez today.....and teams with any speed are gonna run on him from now on.....so the pitchers will have to do a much better job of holding runners....

And if they continue to throw the ball around like they did today, it could get real ugly!

Ortiz and JD Drew, it seems, can't seem to hit 200....

I dont know? It's probably a dam good thing Mike Lowell is still around to DH...and we have the new guys... Hermida and Hall.....(even though Hall botched an outfield play today.)

I know its early in the season....but right now this team looks no better than a .500 club....

IMO...they better try to move Drew and Big Poppy while they still can?

Maybe they can pick up a good defensive catcher or bring up the kid they had in spring training?.....they better get on the phone soon to somebody!
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Dirty Water » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:13 am

A sequence of events in Friday's Red Sox game that's driving me crazy: Crawford hits ground ball right over Scutaro's glove, E6. Crawford steals second on Tek. Zobrist hits a ground ball that Beltre loses in the lights. Yes, in the lights. Crawford scores. Zobrist steals second on Tek. So much for improved defense. Ladies and gentlemen your 2010 Boston Red Sox!
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#6 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 am

Scutaro has been pretty bad in the field, his throws suck as well. Beltre has looked very good and he did lose the ball in the lights. As for the catchers if they sign Victor to be the catcher next year I'm going to be pissed. He sucks back there. But I agree the team is a joke right now, but they'll bounce back.
Tenbomber
Banned User

Post#7 » by Tenbomber » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Brother....It's getting worse....

The highlight films are ugly.....and fans are showing very little excitement for this group....

I think its a mistake to think you can rely on "pitching and defense" when you play at Fenway Park....period

That wall can humble even the best of hurlers... and when you have to constantly hold runners on because your catcher cant throw anyone out, that just makes things tough!

And the defense?

Lately ...we seem to have Manny Ramirez playing about all the outfield positions....

And our new shortstop is bringing back bad memories of the famed Don "Bootcy" Buddin of the hapless Red Sox teams of the late fifties and early sixties...

I dont know?.... It seems like we need some major changes?....Perhaps it's already time to take this team apart and retool it?

I think Ortiz is done....either that or he needs glasses?

Tek is done...

Wakefield seems done too....

Drew is at best a part time player...

And so far, I'm not impressed with any of the new position players either?

Nobody hits with power?... what gives?

Even Beltre?...and his side arm throws to first scare the daylights out of me....

I dont know?... for the size of their payroll, it seems they are gettting very little in return?....I think perhaps some fat needs to be trimmed?....and perhaps some of their prospects brought up to add some life and interest to this team?

We need a good defensive catcher and a shortstop for starters...

And try to trade Ortiz and Drew or perhaps Mike Lowell?...before things get worse....we can't contend with all this deadwood...

And either DH (or trade) Victor Martinez...or our pitching will continue to suffer..

The last few years, I'm thinking that Theo Epstein is not the mastermind we all gave him credit for...

He has to remember that its "what have you done for me lately" that is the barometer for general managers in any sport....

Perhaps Theo better rethink things?

JMO....
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#8 » by craig01 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Right now, the Sox look like a mess on the field....especially defensively.

Being shorthanded in the OF doesn't help matters, nor does the absence of Ellsbury in the lineup.

Unfortunatley, the Red Sox will be back....LOL
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#9 » by greenbeans » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Dahhhnell!!

You can't make up stuff like what happened yesterday. Good for him.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:12 am

greenbeans wrote:Dahhhnell!!

You can't make up stuff like what happened yesterday. Good for him.

and another one!

I'm lovin this guy.

Good to see JD Drew get a grand slam.
Tenbomber
Banned User

Post#11 » by Tenbomber » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:35 am

Good to see some fight in them the past week...even if it is against Baltimore and Toronto...

Hopefully the starting piching will come around and the defence will be better?

Maybe they can find some more help from the farm teams too?

That career minor leager (Mcdonsld) has really contributed! Glad he got his chance! :)
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu May 6, 2010 2:06 am

Ortiz and Beltre with a homer each. Lackey with a great performance. Things finally starting to turn around.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#13 » by greenbeans » Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Get Lowell outta here already. I think it's turning into a serious distraction, and that's the last thing this team needs right now.

Go throw the farm at Florida and get Hanley. Now is our chance Theo, don't let it slip by. Who cares about Marco Scutaro's $, you've been cheap enough the past couple years to make up for it.

Jeremy Hermida is turning into one of my favorite players. He's far from perfect, but he's a great 4th of. And damn, such a nice beard.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 am

How has Theo gone cheap again?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 pm

How bout that kid getting a grand slam on the first pitch he's ever seen in the bigs. Great story for him.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Cut by the independent league and the Sox bring him in. He's done nothing but rake in the Sox farm system. Great story indeed.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 am

Clemens signing autos in the monster seats? They made mention of it on the radio, did they show it on tv.

I don't know what his goal is, probably trying to make things up to fans so he gets hall of fame support, but to do this on mannys first game back. Who would have thought manny wouldn't be the most hated man in the stadium on Friday?
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:59 am

I don't want the sox to make any moves this deadline. Just ride it out and wait for the injured guys to come back.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#19 » by greenbeans » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:43 pm

As a typical fan I want to see them make a big move, but I can't really think of a player who's available that would be THAT much of an upgrade over the guy he'd be replacing. And we definitely need a bullpen arm, but that's not exactly a game changer.

I like Bowden in the bullpen, I think he has potential to eat up a lot of innings down the stretch.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Jeremy Hermidia DFA'd.

:-?

I liked him in the beginning, then he got hurt and hasn't been the same.

Return to Boston Red Sox