ImageImageImageImage

Offseason Thread.

Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Offseason Thread. 

Post#1 » by Dirty Water » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:30 am

Ok, while I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with our team. I could tell we really weren't gonna win in '09. team was good, but they never really formed an identity. 04 and 07 teams did, and you could tell the 09 team really didn't have much heart. Well heres the things I'd like to see for 2010.

1. Let Varitek go. I think he should gracefully retire, but who knows. I doubt the Sox go after him. We have Victor and I bet someone like Kottaras will back him up.

2. Re-sign Jason Bay. Bay has his flaws, but hes pretty good, and we won't find anyone better in free agency. He likes it in Boston and the fans like him. Good fit.

3. Ortiz: I really don't know. I guess just keep DHing him until it starts getting ridiculous. I'll take a .250, 30 HR season tho, because I doubt we could find anyone who is really better.

Heres where I think it gets interesting:

4. Move Jonathan Papelbon into the rotation. Resign Billy Wagner and have him and Bard compete for the closers role. The bullpen will be fine. Okajima should be fine and I have confidence in Delcarmen to bounce back. Hopefully someone like Michael Bowden can step in even though he was atrocious in the few appearances he made this season.

Rotation:

Lester
Beckett
Bucchollz
Dice-K
Papelbon

If healthy I think that could be pretty decent. Sign a Brad Penny type player to emergency start, long relief.

Anyone else have any opinions?
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Re: Offseason Thread. 

Post#2 » by Dirty Water » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 am

Here's a good article where Theo addresses some issues

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/redsox/blog?post=4554474&name=nelson

No one is talking about the bullpen though.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#3 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm sorry but Jonathan Papelbon is not a starter. He's a one pitch, two pitch max pitcher. He has to be the closer or you move him. I'm not against trading him either.

I would let Jay Bay walk. He's 32 years old and you only get his prime for one or two more seasons. Bay is a type A and that helps improve the farm system.

I'm picking up the option on Alex Gonzalez. I know it's a lot of money at 6 million, but the FA class is brutal. And the only one of interest (Scutaro) is 35 years old and a type A fa. Plus Gonzalez is still a defensive wiz.

Jason Varitek needs to go. Offer him 2 mil and explain he's not playing much with this team. Maybe he doesn't pick up his 3 mil option.

I pick up the option on Tim Wakefield.

I try to resign Rocco Balldelli. I thought he did a solid job for the team.

I'm picking up the option on Saito as well.

I'm looking to make a trade for a first baseman. I'm going after Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera. I would prefer Gonzalez, but when right Cabrera is a force. If I am able to get Gonzalez or Miguel, I can now move Casey Kotchman for a left fielder.

If that does not work I'm going after Adam Dunn from Washington. I can put him left field. My theory here is he's a better hitter than Bay. And I don't think it would be a huge drop in defense.

I'm offering incentive laden deals to Erik Bedard, Justin Duchscherer, and Ben Sheets. Depending on physicals of course. First that accepts gets it. I still have Wakefield who can man the 5th spot until one of these guy is ready. Then Wake who has injury problems of his own can be moved to the pen.

I'm not sure how much a last place team would want Papelbon. But I would make an offer for Papelbon for prospects and Kelly Shoppach. The Indians want Carlos Santana to take over behind the plate next season anyways, so Shoppach could be moved. Plus this gives the Sox a legit backup catcher who has some pop in his bat.

Then I take those prospects from Cleveland and bring some more from the Sox farm and try and make a move for Gonzalez, Cabrera, or Dunn.

Sox with Gonzalez or Cabrera

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Gonzalez/Cabrera
Youkilis
Martinez
Ortiz
Trade from Kotchman
Drew
Gonzalez

With Dunn

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Dunn
Youkilis
Martinez
Ortiz
Lowell/Kotchman
Drew
Gonzalez

Starters
Lester
Beckett
Dice
Buchholz
Bedard,Duchesherer,Sheets

Pen
Bard- Closer
Ramirez
Delcarmen
Saito
Okajima
Wakefield

Bench
Shoppach
Kotchman/Lowell
Lowrie
Baldelli
Reddick
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Dirty Water » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:04 pm

I disagree that Papelbon cannot be a starter. The organization certainly had confidence that he could start in the past. Bullpen deficiencies made us have no other options but to make him close (ie Foulke) He does only have a few pitches. Devastating fastball, a splitter that used to work for him but he doesn't throw it anymore (coincidence that it has been since he is struggling?). All he would really need to do is develop that breaking pitch that he has thrown in the past but with little success. Maybe a change. Clemens got by in the majors with basically two pitches until he mastered his splitter so I don't think it's out of the question.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Please don't compare Papelbon to Clemens. If Papelbon had another dominate pitch then I would agree. He however does not and he's a closer. He's not a starter, that ship has sailed.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Dirty Water » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:Please don't compare Papelbon to Clemens. If Papelbon had another dominate pitch then I would agree. He however does not and he's a closer. He's not a starter, that ship has sailed.

You don't need two dominating pitches to be effective in the majors. You need one great pitch, and 2 or 3 other adequate ones.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#7 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:18 pm

I got an idea, trade his ass.

my thoughts/ideas/wishes for the off-season:

-Trading Papelbon. Sure lots of closers screw up during the playoffs. Heck we just saw Street do almost the exact same thing with the rockies. Eck did it, Mo did it, but I'm not harping on him for that reason. He's young, and has 2 years left on his contract. It's been talked, almost too talked about, that he is gonna leave. So trading him now would be the perfect time.

-Trading for the big hitter. Papelbon plus should be a good package for Detroit or San Diego to bite on. In order of who I want for that big hitter role
1. Fielder
2. Miggy
3. Gonzo

-Felix Hernandez. I really think this name will pop up in rumors. Apparently the sox were close to a deal last trading deadline. I didn't see anything from the trading deadline till now that would change theo's mind of wanting this guy and making the big three of Beckett, Lester, and King Felix. And if we could somehow keep bucholz, probably not but wow if we could.

-Bay. If these deals happen, I agree, that we have to let bay walk, and get those draft picks. Re-build the system we just depleted with all these trades.

Well, those are my ideas.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 am

Dirty Water wrote:
sunshinekids99 wrote:Please don't compare Papelbon to Clemens. If Papelbon had another dominate pitch then I would agree. He however does not and he's a closer. He's not a starter, that ship has sailed.

You don't need two dominating pitches to be effective in the majors. You need one great pitch, and 2 or 3 other adequate ones.

If Papelbon becomes a starter, that fastball is not going to be as dominate. He's goint to lose velocity because he needs to keep his stamina up. So without his dominate fastball and without two adequate other pitchers, he's going to struggle. He'll never be a good starting pitcher, so why move him? Your looking at him as a 5th starter? I'd rather have a dominate closer than a 5th starter anyday of the week. He's not moving to a starter, it would be a foolish move.

Celtics_Champs wrote:I got an idea, trade his ass.

my thoughts/ideas/wishes for the off-season:

-Trading Papelbon. Sure lots of closers screw up during the playoffs. Heck we just saw Street do almost the exact same thing with the rockies. Eck did it, Mo did it, but I'm not harping on him for that reason. He's young, and has 2 years left on his contract. It's been talked, almost too talked about, that he is gonna leave. So trading him now would be the perfect time.

-Trading for the big hitter. Papelbon plus should be a good package for Detroit or San Diego to bite on. In order of who I want for that big hitter role
1. Fielder
2. Miggy
3. Gonzo

-Felix Hernandez. I really think this name will pop up in rumors. Apparently the sox were close to a deal last trading deadline. I didn't see anything from the trading deadline till now that would change theo's mind of wanting this guy and making the big three of Beckett, Lester, and King Felix. And if we could somehow keep bucholz, probably not but wow if we could.

-Bay. If these deals happen, I agree, that we have to let bay walk, and get those draft picks. Re-build the system we just depleted with all these trades.

Well, those are my ideas.

I'm with you on Papelbon obviously. Problem is I don't see the Padres wanting him or the Tigers being able to afford him. Detroit is in shambles right now, they are going to trim payroll not take on a 10 million dollar closer.

I'm with you on Felix Hernandez, but the issue I'm having is how to you get the big bat and the stud pitcher? The Sox would not have a farm system left and I think to get Hernandez you can say good bye to Ellsbury. I would not trade Ellsbury for just about anything at this point, I think next year he really takes off.

Look at what Toronto was said to turn down for Halladay. Buchholz, Bowden, Bard, Masterson, Doubront, and Hagadone. Now I doubt Bard was included in the deal, but regardless if he was or not that is crap load for Roy Halladay. Now Halladay is 10 years older than Felix Hernandez who is just as good. What the heck is a 24 year old ace going to cost?
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Dirty Water » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:33 pm

I really don't think pitching is a big enough problem to sell the farm system for a front of the rotation starter.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:00 am

Well, yeah, your system would be depleted, but it's not like the sox don't replenish well. For ex: we traded masterson for victor, and Bard steps up and fills that masterson role. The only prospect for vet trade that really hurt us would be the loss of hanley. We haven't had a good short stop in ages. But I'd still do that trade, 10 times outta 10. Plus the draft picks we'd be getting by letting bay walk would help fill the loss of guys like bowdoin and lars.

I'm not saying do it. Just something to toy around with. Please, no more john smoltz cases.

Heres a cheaper name, Rich Harden

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ch_harden/
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:26 am

I do like Rich Harden, but the chance of him staying healthy are slim to none.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Boston Could Go After Stephen Drew
18th October, 2009 - 4:30 pm
Boston Globe - The Diamondbacks are expected to shop shortstop Stephen Drew this winter.

The Red Sox, who have been looking for a long-term option at shortstop for many years, will likely inquire about Drew this offseason.

Drew hit .261 with 12 homers and 65 RBIs this season. He also made only 11 errors.

Stephen's brother J.D. plays right field for Boston.

I'd be happy.

Stephen >> JD
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:08 am

I think the Sox would be much better staying away from Stephen Drew. They only need one player who can't always play every game. Stephen Drew is just the same as JD is, the fans would want his head. Just keep Gonzo for a year and then do the shopping. I also wouldn't be against trying to get JJ Hardy this offseason.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:00 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/ne ... id=4597317

I heard sox were in talks about getting towers and ricciardi to come on board. I'm cool with Towers getting a spot in this FO, but JP can screw off.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:57 am

Looks like the Sox are thinking about moving Ellsbury to left field for the up coming season. Somebody suggested maybe going after Carlos Beltran to fill in at center. The defense sure would be through the roof.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 am

So Brad Mills is gone to the astros. And Hoyer to the padres is official.

I just thought of something, hoyer to the padres, that means there is a good chance Gonzo could be in beantown come the winter meetings, right? Hoyer knows the talent, and gonzo is a goner according to ex-gm towers.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 am

Only problem with that I don't think Theo can pull the wool over the eyes of Hoyer using the farm system.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:07 am

Yeah, maybe not.

Chapman visiting Boston. I would love to see him sign here.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Nov 6, 2009 4:13 am

Sox pick up Jeremy Hermida

Red Sox acquired outfielder Jeremy Hermida from the Marlins for LHP Hunter Jones and LHP Jose Alvarez.
Hermida, the 11th overall pick in the 2002 draft, frustrated with the Marlins with injuries and unexceptional play in four years as a major leaguer and there was no way the team was going to pay him $3 million or so in his second year of arbitration. Still, it's a shame that they couldn't do better than a pair of generic left-handers. Hermida still has a lot of promise. He hit .296/.369/.501 in 123 games in 2007, and he's just going to be 26 next year. The Red Sox may not be content with him as a regular in the event that Jason Bay leaves, but they couldn't pass on the chance to acquire him at this price. Nov. 5 - 6:06 pm et

Listening to EEI today Olney, and Gammons were all talking up hermida and how someone is gonna trade for him soon. Well, sox landed him. Glad they did. I kind of compare this to the yankees getting swisher last year, then signing Tex. It doesn't spell the end for bay, but it's insurance in case we can't get him back here.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Nov 6, 2009 10:52 am

It sure is an insurance policy and to be honest a pretty damn good one. He's only 26 years old and the Sox got him for peanuts.

Return to Boston Red Sox