Cancer Takes PacerFan

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

ajizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#81 » by ajizzle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:23 am

Wow... I'm so sorry to hear that. It really puts life into perspective. I had wondered why I hadn't seen a lot of him on the board. My prayers go out to his family and friends, and I hope we can continue to make this board all that it can be.
crucifixion
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#82 » by crucifixion » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Laker fan here... I don't even post on the RealGM/Lakers board, just at some dedicated Laker sites just like you guys have PacersDigest and things like that.

Anyways, obviously there have been lots of LAL-IND rumored deals the last few years (Artest/JO/etc) so I've occasionally come here to listen to what you guys thought of the rumors and see what trades were homerish and which were realistic.

I just came on here today cuz there was some other espn rumor that came out about an Odom/Farmar package for JO so I decided to come here to see if there was any truth and I then I saw this sticky.

I remember reading pacerfan's posts because he had some insight but also always talked in a professional and respectable manner

I dont know much else about him but wanted to share my condolences in your loss.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#83 » by 2poor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 pm

Very sad news indeed. I remember catching a few of pacerfan's posts here and there, but not much else. Reading through this thread makes me wish I could go back and interact with him more, he genuinely seems like a great person.

RIP, condolences to his family, friends, and RealGM brethren.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,098

Post#84 » by Schad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm extremely saddened to hear this, but it's clear that pacerfan left his mark here and in the world at large; the stories that have been posted and his obituary speak to a great and selfless man. There aren't enough people like that, and even among those who did not chance to meet him, his impact will be greatly missed.
**** your asterisk.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#85 » by Da Schwab » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 pm

This is definately one of the sadder moments in RGM history.

I, for one, haven't posted on the Pacer board, but as someone who has been scanning and reading all over RGM for almost 3 years now, I can say that this is a huge loss. He always posted quality and had the utmost courtesy for everyone in the RGM community.

On behalf of the NFL & MLB forums, I offer my condolences and prayers to his family, both here and at home.

RIP Pacerfan
Oomph
Veteran

Post#86 » by Oomph » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 pm

This is sad news indeed. Pacerfan was a class act ... RIP

And Jermaniac's story (and others too) really is what makes it great to be a sports fan. I know I'm not the person to make these decisions but wouldn't it be a great gesture to Jermaniac to welcome him back, I really miss his input.
notque
Veteran

Post#87 » by notque » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:01 pm

Oomph wrote:This is sad news indeed. Pacerfan was a class act ... RIP

And Jermaniac's story (and others too) really is what makes it great to be a sports fan. I know I'm not the person to make these decisions but wouldn't it be a great gesture to Jermaniac to welcome him back, I really miss his input.

agreed.
Pacer-Pride
Ballboy

Post#88 » by Pacer-Pride » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:15 am

RIP Pacerfan
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,159
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#89 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 am

Wow, that's stunning, a huge loss to the pacer fanbase, and a huge loss to RealGM.

My condolences go out to his family, I didn't know him personally, but I know he was a terrific moderator, and a terrific leader on this site. From all accounts though, he was an even better person.

RIP Don "pacerfan" Bardon. May you rest in peace.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
_SRV_
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#90 » by _SRV_ » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:49 am

I used to read Indiana board when I first came to realgm, and due to the dramatic events this team went through and the nature of some of the posters it had, emotions used to run very high on the board, the way pacerfan always kept his kind and gentle ways through all of these situatoins was simply admirable, reading that post from Jermaniac only bolds the calm and kind nature this man presented in his posts, RIP pacerfan, you were one of the realy good ones.
xx_skaterdude_xx wrote:Kobe gets bailed out more than Wall Street.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#91 » by count55 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Some of you know this and some of you don't, but it was my good fortune to know Don in the world outside of RealGM. Regrettably, I couldn't claim him as more than an acquaintance in real life. His wife was my 8th grade teach at St. Michael's. We also had a connection through my sister and brother-in-law, both of whom are active in St. Michael's parish, through which my brother-in-law came to work with Don for a number of years in Don's Subway franchises.

I had known from the moment my sister called me with the news that I would be going to pay my respects to Don and his family. However, the outpouring of genuine emotion from cyber-friends and strangers alike made it obvious that I had the opportunity to represent the community at his viewing. I don't know if many were aware of that there were pacerfan threads wishing condolences on the Lakers board, the Raptors board, and Pacers Digest. All told, there have been 187 posts on 18 pages at RealGM and another 27 posts at Pacers Digest.

The viewing was held at the Church at St. Michael's in Indianapolis from 4 to 8 yesterday afternoon. I arrived at about 5 minutes after 4 pm to find the parking lot filling up. When I went in the main entrance, I found the line already stretching from the altar all the way back to the front door. In the church itself, they had about 8 or 10 easels with giant posterboards on which they had lovingly put pictures of Don at various stages of his life. The first one you came to had a picture of pf in his Pacer sweatshirt. All of the pictures told the story of a good sports fan, passionate about Pacers and Colts and Cardinals, a good family man, passionate about his loved ones, and basically, just a good, good man. You would need only to see the ever-present 1,000-watt smile to understand that this was a man who understood how blessed he really was.

I stood in line, largely a stranger to most there, listening to the conversations going on around me. I was awestruck at the impact Don had and on the wealth of people whose lives he had touched. My wait was a little less than an hour, and by the time I left, the line had more than doubled in size, winding down into the basement of the church, and the parking lot and streets were filled to overflowing with cars.

I got to spend a brief moment or two with his son, Jeb, and his wife. I offered my personal condolences, then told them of the reaction here on RealGM and on PD. Both spoke of how much he loved coming here, and his wife asked that I get her these posts. When she sees these, it will be just more evidence of the wealth of kindness and decency that Don brought out in others.

As I left the church, I felt the sense of loss keenly. Oddly, it wasn't the loss of his presence that I regretted most. It was the lost opportunity I had to share more in his life. Those who knew and loved Don are hurting today, but they know they are the lucky ones.

pacerfan's last post was on November 9, a little before 9 AM. He last visited the site on December 30.

This is a hole that will never be filled.

goodbye, pf
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#92 » by APerna » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Awesome post Count...I almost feel like locking up this thread because I don't think the events as a whole can be summed up any better...but we must allow people more time to come and express their thoughts and sympathy...

December 30th seems like an eternity ago...
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#93 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks, Count, for describing the service for the rest of us. And thank you, Freeron, for linking to the obit. And you, Indy, for sharing Jermainiac's tribute.

From being on these boards I always knew that Pacerfan was a great guy, but your posts told me a lot about him that I didn't know and am glad to learn.

Sure sounds like Don spent his time here on Earth wisely.

I miss him.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#94 » by count55 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:30 pm

I signed the registry for others by name, if I knew, username, and one line for "Members of RealGM". From other communications, I knew others wanted to come and certainly were there with me in spirit.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
Indy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#95 » by Indy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm

count55 wrote:I signed the registry for others by name, if I knew, username, and one line for "Members of RealGM". From other communications, I knew others wanted to come and certainly were there with me in spirit.

Thank you for doing that Count.

I seriously considered driving up from Bloomington to go to the viewing, but in the end just did not feel it was my place to go.

I miss pacerfan and not a day has passed since I heard this news that I have not thought of him, and what he meant to me and so many other people.
I've read through PM's I shared with him at least ten times a piece since Monday. From his advice to my first year at IU to just being a better person. PF imparted a tremendous amount of wisdom onto me and obviously quite a few other people.
I miss him, but I realize he is in a better place and whether it be through the pictures he sent Jerm or the advice he imparted onto so many of us Don "pacerfan" Bardon's spirit lives on through so many people, and I believe that is all he ever really wanted to do in life, make it better for others.
This will probably be my last post in this thread so in closing, I'd like offer up an Our Father for the patriarch of the Pacers board...
Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be Thy name...
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is Heaven...
And give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses...
As we forgive those who trespass against us...
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil...
For Thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory forever and ever.
AMEN.

Thank you and RIP pacerfan. May you forever rest in paradise
Credit to WTB
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#96 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 pm

My condolences, a terrible loss.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,583

Post#97 » by hermes » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:56 pm

my deepest condolences go out to pacerfan's family and friends
i didn't know him, and wasn't around him on Realgm but he sounds like a great guy and its a sad day when the world loses one of those

RIP Pacerfan
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#98 » by roc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 am

I did get a chance to talk trades with him and find it hard to fathom that he will never post here again. I am very saddened by this and am having a difficult time typing this up. As a Detroit fan we have been bitter rivals with Indy for some time but I didn't let that stop me from enjoying good natured debates with a rival. Pacerfan we will all miss you.

My heartfelt condolences go out to all those who knew him and to his family.

RIP pacerfan you were loved and respected here at RealGM.

Special thanks to Jermaniac and all the others that posted such wonderful stories. I need more kleenex.

EDIT - I hope you don't mind but I posted a link to this thread on the Detroit board.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#99 » by TMACFORMVP » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:03 am

Wow real sad news indeed. I remember enjoying reading his posts when I first came to this board. Truly one of the best posters on RealGM and his presence will sorely be missed. I really regret I didn't reply to posts to get to know him better, reading the stories especially Jermaniacs, seems like he was an even better person in real life.

R.I.P. pacerfan
TSC25
Veteran

Post#100 » by TSC25 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:12 am

I hadnt gotten on here this year as much as I would like,but the other night during to game at Golden State I was setting there reading and typing,and thought I cant believe PACERFAN isnt on here,I first joined realgm back in 2002 and he was the first person I talked basketball with on this board,well in 03 I went back into construction and quit my inside job,thus not having a computer,so in 04 I finally got one at home,and there he was again the first guy,and thou I didnt have the same board name,he still remembered the talks we use to have,and then tonight I get on here to vote for the pacesetter of the Warriors game here and happen to see this,PACERFAN this is a very sad day,and thou I never got to meet you in person,I still thought of you as a friend and you will never be forgotten! My prayers are with you and your family and friends.You were a class act,and what the true meaning of what realgm is all about.And a true RGM Hall Of Famer in my book!

Return to Indiana Pacers