ImageImage

Chris Paul 30 assist watch.

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#21 » by El Duderino » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:31 am

europa wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Depends on the week of the season. Early in the season, they looked brilliant. Then the Saints looked smart again when Bush had a good stretch of games. Then the Titans looked like they got the best guy and now it looks like maybe the Texans did. I don't think we've answered that one by any means although I do think we can safely say Bush hasn't turned out to be the slam-dunk superstar he was projected to be and that's opened the door for Williams and Young to enter the discussion.

Speaking of Bush, I'm not sure whether he should be given props or not for maybe being engaged to Kim Kardashian. This guy could get any chick he wants and he's diving into those muddy waters?

Not turn this into a football thread, but i really doubt that Reggie Bush ever matches the hype he received. He doesn't run well enough between the tackles to be an every down 25 carries back. Williams is becoming the beast that his freak of nature size/speed/skills ratio said he might.

Young is still a bit of a wildcard in that debate, but i highly question if he'll ever pass well enough to be a great QB.

Like i said before, i understand why we chose Bogut and supported his choice, but i was wrong and so was Harris. To bad LH misjudged how good Bogut would become and just how good Paul would become. It would have taken some serious nads to draft Paul while we had TJ/Mo, but he'd look brilliant now if Harris did exactly that.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#22 » by europa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:34 am

I agree about Williams. If he becomes more consistent he has the talent to be a special defensive end. I'm not ready to give up on Bush just yet. It took Tiki Barber and Brian Westbrook a few seasons before they showed they could be special RBs. I think Bush showed in the last half of his rookie season he has the talent to get there but it's definitely taking him longer than anticipated and it has raised questions about whether he'll be as good as advertised. It didn't help his cause that FatDale White had a better second season than he did.
Nothing will not break me.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#23 » by El Duderino » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:45 am

I wasn't implying that Bush sucks, just that i question highly if he'll ever be as special as he was hyped to be before the draft. Running backs like Bush can get away with be almost entirely a outside runner in college, but in the NFL, there is so much more speed on defenses. I actually feel he's a bigger threat at catching the ball out of the backfield than simply running the ball.

Plus, a RB has to be extremely special to be more valuable than a top flight defensive lineman. A good two way DE is simply harder to find than a RB.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#24 » by Nowak008 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:46 am

Paul must have saw that D Will had 20 ast.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
Mike X
Starter
And1: 13

Post#25 » by Mike X » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:58 am

The best thing about Chris Paul being a Buck is we could have given him the nickname "Brewpaul" and have him play in a mini and stilleto's
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#26 » by realfung » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:02 am

Chris Paul is rare.....
but you just cant always think it this way....
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,677

Post#27 » by th87 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:05 am

I always wondered this too. Before we got the first pick, we'd always talk about how Paul was the most NBA ready player - that he was TJ Ford with better defense and a jumpshot. We prayed that we ended up in the top 2 so we could grab him.

But then we got the first pick, and all of a sudden, everyone stopped talking about Chris Paul. Why did that happen? It's not like it's a great surprise what he's doing now. Why did it come down to Bogut and Williams at the time (roster need notwithstanding)?
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#28 » by blkout » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:19 am

I don't think anyone's mentioned this, but Paul ended up with 16/13 on 3-10 shooting.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#29 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:00 am

I
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#30 » by jeremyd236 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:53 pm

Citizen.Eras3d wrote:I don't think anyone's mentioned this, but Paul ended up with 16/13 on 3-10 shooting.

Yeah, and what did Deron Williams end up with? Oh yeah...
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#31 » by blkout » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:11 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, and what did Deron Williams end up with? Oh yeah...

I don't know, the thread isn't about Deron Williams' game today.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#32 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:30 pm

Almost everyone thought Paul would be rookie of the year. I don't know why a person like that wouldn't automatically be considered as an option for #1.
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#33 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:33 pm

Also, if the team with the #1 pick always went with the player most likely to be ROY they would be wrong sometimes just like they're currently wrong sometimes, but they would eliminate coming up with "big mistakes" like Kwame/Olowokandi/Dare I say it.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#34 » by Ayt » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:18 pm

I've watched a lot of Hornets games this year. Paul is an incredible player. He's like the Tim Duncan of PGs in that he's just a machine that seems to do everything right, and by the end of the night he has a sick line without you even realizing it.

I thought Paul was the best prospect in the draft that year. His sophomore year was incredible for a PG (look it up and compare it to the other top PGs at the same age). I also though Bogut would be a good pick for the Bucks, though, and that he'd be an 18-11 guy by his second season. Whoops.

I still think Bogut might make a jump at some point in his career to becoming a much better NBA player. Unfortunately, Paul is already a top player in the league and an MVP caliber PG.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#35 » by DH34Phan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:52 pm

adamcz wrote: but they would eliminate coming up with "big mistakes" like Kwame/Olowokandi/Dare I say it.

Bargnani??
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,354

Post#36 » by rilamann » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:29 pm

This thread is pure comedy with people claiming in 2008 they would have taken Paul #1 in 2005.

What are you guys talking about?? Nobody around here or anywhere for that matter was talking about taking Chris Paul with the #1 pick in 2005.

Sure a lot of us on here thought he was a nice talent with solid potential but 99% of this board would have wanted LH's head on a platter if the Bucks didn't take either Andrew Bogut or Marvin Williams with the #1 pick.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM

Post#37 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:29 pm

Umm...... yeah... Bargnani...

Actually Bargnani would be a good example. Most thought Brandon Roy was most likely to win ROY, and in hindsight he would have been a better pick than Bargnani. Very similar to Paul vs Bogut.

An example of where that would have hurt you is 2002 - I honestly don't remember who was thought to be the main ROY candidate, but I don't think it was Yao or Amare. It probably would have been Dunleavy, Gooden, or Wagner. Obviously Yao was a better choice than those guys.

In 2004, Okafor was the favorite for ROY and Howard turned out to be the better pick.

Still - I think teams can do a much better job predicting which guy will be better in six months than they can predicting which will be better in six years, and in so many cases they place too much value on height compared to skill.

Pre-draft ROY favorites: Durant, Roy, Paul, Okafor, Lebron... in general those odds are better than the ones that led to Bargnani/Bogut.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#38 » by europa » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:33 pm

For what it's worth I recall Sports Illustrated predicting Bogut would win the ROY award his first season.
Nothing will not break me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks