ImageImage

ESPN Prediction - 11th

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,156

Re: ESPN Prediction - 11th 

Post#16 » by midranger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Maybe some of you expected a big one year turnaround. I didn't. Too big of a hole to dig out of quickly.

I don't think anyone expected a one year turn around, but look at our team and tell me what's the potential past year one?

There isn't a whole lot of young blue chip prospects here. Alexander MAY be a good glue guy/role player in the future. Sessions MAY be a good PG. That's it. We won't have cap space for three years. Our good players don't have trade friendly contracts. We likely won't be picking at the top of the lotto.

I see a team that's pretty much locked in for 3 years without a ton of hope for improvement, by either internal or external means. So, if year one is a disaster, I wouldn't assume years 2 and 3 would be much better.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#17 » by MetroDrugUnit » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:32 pm

midranger wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Maybe some of you expected a big one year turnaround. I didn't. Too big of a hole to dig out of quickly.

I don't think anyone expected a one year turn around, but look at our team and tell me what's the potential past year one?

There isn't a whole lot of young blue chip prospects here. Alexander MAY be a good glue guy/role player in the future. Sessions MAY be a good PG. That's it. We won't have cap space for three years. Our good players don't have trade friendly contracts. We likely won't be picking at the top of the lotto.

I see a team that's pretty much locked in for 3 years without a ton of hope for improvement, by either internal or external means. So, if year one is a disaster, I wouldn't assume years 2 and 3 would be much better.

Exactly. We have a long ways to go, I'm still stun over the whole, get RJ and then give away Mo thing all in the same offseason. At the end of the day we really have no idea what we have, lets just hope that the powers that be know what they're doing.
showtimesam
Veteran
And1: 32

Post#18 » by showtimesam » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:35 pm

I like this team's potential.

They seem to be a team that will listen to their coach, play hard, and be a case of the sum being greater than its parts.

Either way, this team is in alot better shape than either of the previous two seasons.

This year is only year one of Hammond's plan, lets sit back and see what happens before we determine that this core can't get us anywhere.

I see some good veteran talent (Redd, Jefferson) and young players with alot of room to grow (Sessions, Bogut, CV, Alexander). And the best part is, it seems as if the parts actually fit this year rather than a collection of scorers under Harri's regime.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,247

Post#19 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Until one of these four (Bogut/CV/Ramon/JA) steps up to all-star status we go nowhere....and the national media knows we are a non-story.

Our three best players (Redd/RJ/Bogut) are arguably some of the least athletic and least charismatic guys in the league.

But as Adamcz said, this will be an interesting season for me as well with all the new guys, new system, new coach.

This is why I'm glad we didn't give away CV, so I can hope on the 5% chance he busts out.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#20 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:14 pm

I like the moves at point guard. Ridnour and Sessions should produce more wins than Mo Williams who easily is the best overall talent of the 3, but just not very smart on the court.

I think Bogut will be even better next year with the confidence that his teammates have to have gained in him with his often stellar second half play.

Richard Jefferson and Michael Redd will be semi-allstars.

Scott Skiles will bring intensity and defensive accountability.

42 wins wouldn't shock me. But neither would 30.
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#21 » by unklchuk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:36 pm

It may be that part of the definition of being a fan is wanting (or demanding) more than is reasonable.

Years ago, when Bucks managements could see - not reach, but see - no higher than mediocrity I demanded revolution in the palace. Then I learned that mid-level revolutions come and go, and things fundamentally usually don't change all that much.

My team now has a modicum of talent (perhaps average in the league, or average minus). They're going to try to make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Might work. Probably interesting to watch them try. They're going to try to make extra shrewd trades. There's some basis to hope they will. They're going to try to draft looking not only at standard talent measurements but for guys whose intangibles and "fit" will be multiplier factors in their contributions to Team. They're going to try to play a more demanding, more tightly-integrated style of ball that can overachieve.

I think this management knows what excellence is, and is genuinely aiming in that direction. (With limited resources.)

Because the team was primitive last year, I think it likely they improve by say 12 games this year. That would be a "nice" but not stand out season. 38 wins. If management is a good as I hope, they could move up another 6 games the following season - with continued development of still developing players (and teamwork) and a savvy trade or two. 44 wins is a playoff team, the the city of Milwaukee might get into that. I don't see any father than that, because the variables are too many.

The part of me that wants a contender won't find a lot of meat on the bones I just described. But the rest of me will find the situation quite congenial. The NBA in Wisconsin will be back on track.
AFAIK, IDKM
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,256

Post#22 » by Sigra » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:29 pm

ESPN sucks. Look at this prediction for example. They predicted that eastern conference teams will win 29 games more than last season. Did east really improved that much? Are western conference teams going to lose 29 games more than last season? I don't think so. ESPN just sucks. Simple as that.

Look what your Sigra predicted. Did I ever disapoint you? 8-)

SIGRA'S PREDICTION FOR 2008-09 season:

1 Boston Celtics 60 - 22

They had reserves last season because they rested their stars for playoffs a lot which means that they could win even more than 66 games if they really wanted. They also won with big margin.
All in all, lost of Posey and better competition will take some wins but they can give some and still be the best team at East.

2 Detroit Pistons 52 - 30

Their veterans will lose some fire but they have enough young guys to push veterans. Rookie coach and better competition will take some wins but not as much as some people think.

3 Cleveland Cavaliers 50 - 32

Scorer like Mo was just what doctor ordered for LeBron and his Cavs. That alone + entire season of Varejao and Pavlovic (both in form) will mean some improvement. However, their aging frontcourt of Z and Ben is going to be their main weakness. Also, Mo is going to hurt their solid defense. We will see how much.

4 Orlando Magic 48 - 34

I like Pietrus for them and Dwight should improve some more. But is Hedo going to have another season like last one? Also, they used bad competition more than any other team. Many nights they just had to show big Dwight and the game was over before it even start. All in all I predict less wins than last year.

5 Philadelphia 76ers 47 - 35

Brand is going to be huge for them. There is posibility that it hurts their chemistry but untill we see that we have to predict at least 7 games improvement.

6 Washington Wizards 44 - 38

Blah. Arenas proved to not be important for their record but they still re-signed him for all that money because he sell tickets, uniforms and things like that. That is still playoff team without home court advantage. Arenas doesn't make any change in that regard.

7 Milwaukee Bucks 42 - 40

I talked about this in many posts so everybody knows my position. If starting lineup of Ridnour, Allen, Lewis, Evans, James with bench of Radmanovic and Daniels won 52 games then we (Bucks fans) have a reason to hope that our starting 5 of Ridnour, Redd, RJ, Elson, Bogut with bench of CV and Bell can win at least 42 games. Almost same talent.

10 games is big diference and I want to make it sure that everybody understand that I don't hope for 52 wins. I hope for 42 wins. So don't tell me how Allen was better than Redd (for example). If he was then that's why he won 10 more games. I want just 42. I want playoffs. I miss it very much.

Last year was disaster. No chemistry at all. PG who ignore teamates. Stupid and weak coach. Rookie from hell. SF without one leg. Injuries.

Now we have real PG who push the ball, find right people at right places at right times. Have PG instincts. Think fast and think acurate. Work for his teammates.

Our main scorers are wings who atack in the paint and go to free throw line but can shoot as well.

We have 2nd best C in conference who is better with every new year. We have few more role players who should be in right position.

And most importantly we finally have the real coach. For the first time since George Karl.

8 Indiana Pacers 41 - 41

I have them in playoffs. They are not going to win championship off course. But to make playoffs, many times you just need to have comparative advantage at something. Something that form your style of play and build your confidence and chemistry. Pacers should have that. They will run and gun and they will be good at that. Even last year I thought that they have peaces for run and gun game only they didn't have PG for that. Now they have TJ Ford and if healthy he WILL lead them to playoffs and first round exit. TJ Ford at PG, Dunleavy at SG, Granger at SF and Foster at C are such a good fit for run and gun.

9 Toronto Raptors 40 - 42

Even when «healthy» JO was nothing to «write home about» last year. He become jump shooter and weak inside. And he is never healthy. I think that trade was last attempt to save what can't be saved. They are going down. Nice and slowly. Just like Orlando they used bad competition very much. It is time for them to miss playoff.

10 Atlanta Hawks 36 - 46

More expirience for young guys? Sure. Better with Bibby at PG? Sure. But Childress was very very important. Better competition will hurt them as well.

11 Charlotte Bobcats 33 - 49

Their coach is old. Their players are stupid and injury prone. Athletic? Ok they are athletic and they have some talent but lets move on. Nothing to see here.

12 Chicago Bulls 32 - 50

Their leader is rookie? Umm ok. Their C is Noah? LOL. Hughes is SG? No Gordon? Rookie coach? What a mess.

13 Miami Heat 26 - 56

Who is C? Who is PG? Rookie who wants to shoot a lot? Rookie coach? Wade is great and all but is he going to play 82 games in losing season? With that fragile body? No way.

14 New York Knicks 24 - 58

Coach would like to run and gun. That's only way he can coach. But his PF is Zach Randolph and his C is Curry. No runing with that frontcourt. SF is rookie from Italia? LOL. PG is drunken Chris. What a mess.

15 New Jersey Nets 17 - 65

How long before they trade Carter? We will see.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#23 » by Newz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:50 pm

John Hammond isn't a miracle worker.

11th seems like about the right spot for the Bucks with the potential to get as high as 8th if the team really gels and plays well together. Then if Bogut/CV/JA/Sessions along with other draft picks/free agents continue to improve the team we will continue to move up.

I have faith in both Hammond (Though I haven't agreed with the Mo trade or how big Bogut's extention was) and Skiles. I think within three years the Bucks will be a team who is in the playoffs every season that they are still in charge.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#24 » by Wise1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:33 pm

As of today, this is where I see it.

1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Philadelphia
4. Orlando
5. Detroit
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Miami
9. Milwaukee
10. Atlanta
11. Indiana
12. Charlotte
13. Chicago
14. New Jersey
15. New York
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#25 » by Max Green » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:45 pm

ESPN has been predicting us to finish in the 10-12th place range every since George Karl left. Nothing new here.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#26 » by trwi7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:49 pm

MVP4Champ wrote:ESPN has been predicting us to finish in the 10-12th place range every since George Karl left. Nothing new here.

And they've been right far more than they've been wrong.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#27 » by L&H_05 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:57 pm

Wise1 wrote:As of today, this is where I see it.

1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Philadelphia
4. Orlando
5. Detroit
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Miami
9. Milwaukee
10. Atlanta
11. Indiana
12. Charlotte
13. Chicago
14. New Jersey
15. New York
The Philly hype is strong...

If Washington is healthy they will finish better than Philly IMO...
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#28 » by eagle13 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:49 am

ALL DEPENDS ON HEALTH. Seems every year one team gets torpedo'd by injuries or dissension or something. No way to predict that. So I choose 9 teams expecting 1 going down. Thus 8 playoff teams will come from these 9.

1 Boston - how critical was Posey? can youngsters keep it up?
2 Detroit - amazing continuity
3 Philly - if healthy Brand, Miller, Iggy & Co will rise
4 Orlando -niice
5 Cavs - Mo will help

Then in some order for 6-9
Raptors - will they miss Ford? Will JO stay healthy & motivated?
Heat - will team jel? Will no PG hurt?
Wiz - they just are not that good but do score a lot.
Bucks - see below

Then...
10 Bulls - start over again?
11 Hawks - they made it last year but gees their the Hawks
12 Pacers - Can Ford driive another team to playoffs?
13 BobCats - always ready to break out but never do - they are my darkhorse
14 Knix - suck - well - they're better and headed right - but it just feels right to say Knix suck
15 Nets - so much youth - too much Buck trash

Players like big PT. Well our starters will get it. IF they stay healthy AND they all buy into skiles and share chemistry - then from starter wise - the Bucks look pretty competitive.

As most I have hope against hope CV will click.
IMO bogut is going to shine and accept role as rebounder, defender, passer, blocker, and leader. He will score fine also.
RJ will be rejuvinated.
Ridnour will excel at distributing the ball very well.
Redd will be the player he is plus a touch more passing & D. That's just fine.

Bench impact depends on young guys.
Sessions is a wildcard and could be biggest impact on Bucks success. IF Sessions shines Bucks fly.
Alexander development at either / both F spots is signficant.
M2 is just 2nd rd pick & we have tendency to expect too much.

Meanwhile we have nice set of role playing vets
Bell will thrive with Skiles. Tough D is back.
Elson is decent 20 mpg defense.
Allen & Lue won't kill you or save you but give a reliable game.

Can Skiles, God, or anyone get Gadz to play the game of basketballl?
fortunately nuthin depends on him.
Any contribution is gravy.

But its up to the starters. Probably all get about 36 mpg. Ridnour less IF Ramon proves out.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks