ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official 101 Thread: Offseason, Cap etc

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: The Official 101 Thread: Offseason, Cap etc 

Post#31 » by Schad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 pm

hoopdata wrote:My understanding is it happens simultaneously. It wouldn't make sense for it to work the way you suggest, though I could be wrong. Think about it this way: If I had 11 players under contract, when signing my 12th player, you're telling me there would be a conflicting cap hold in place for that 12th roster spot? That makes no sense. The signing eliminates the cap hold.

The signing eliminates the cap hold, but only after the player is signed...it still has to be taken into account when calculating the space available for that contract. It was previously discussed on the CBA board here:

But if we're talking about spendable cap room, in reality we have to account for 13 roster slots each time a player is signed - the others already signed, plus cap holds to the 12th, and then this player is 13.

So in the example given in the OP, Miami would have to have been setting aside 7 cap holds or more (not 6) as they signed each of those six players, and for practical purposes if we're Miami trying to fit all six onto our roster, we have to set aside seven cap holds in determining room to sign those six.
**** your asterisk.
hoopdata
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#32 » by hoopdata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Interesting. Still would like to have seen an example of it or hear it from someone within a team. I'm going to ask around.
http://www.hoopdata.com - NBA Statistics and Analysis - Has a sortable player/team stat database that includes offensive shot locations, defensive shot locations, assisted field goals, assist locations, and1s, charges, times blocked, and much more.
hoopdata
Freshman

Post#33 » by hoopdata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 pm

You're right. Got confirmation from Larry Coon and an NBA exec.
http://www.hoopdata.com - NBA Statistics and Analysis - Has a sortable player/team stat database that includes offensive shot locations, defensive shot locations, assisted field goals, assist locations, and1s, charges, times blocked, and much more.
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#34 » by livintoolive » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Can't we just sign players to 10day contracts first, eliminating the need for a cap hold? I'm sure they 100k it would take for 2-3 players on 10 days wouldn't hurt.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
hoopdata
Freshman

Post#35 » by hoopdata » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 pm

You can't sign someone to a 10-day contract in the offseason.
JimmyDolan
Senior
And1: 69

Post#36 » by JimmyDolan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 am

Would trading Eddy Curry's expiring contract be a better option for the Knicks than buying him out?How much would the Knicks save in a buyout? A few million?Maybe less. If they can attract 2 MAX players,wouldn't trading the Curry expiring contract for a piece to fit with those 2 MAX players make more sense?
Big Chief Triangle
rmed64
Starter

Post#37 » by rmed64 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:56 am

Would like to keep Lee while bringing in 2 MAX players this offseason. If that is what buying out Eddy could do for us, then we should IMO if we cant ship him.
BartenderBrian
Sophomore

Post#38 » by BartenderBrian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

Buying out Eddy won't create the space to bring back Lee. Whatever $$ we do pay him counts against the cap.
drj
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#39 » by drj » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:12 am

As far as I can see there are three main options for Lee at this point:

1. Used in s&t for one of our max FA targets. For instance, if Toronto thinks they will lose Bose outright, they might prefer to get some value back. The problem is that this doesn't really help us so much, in comparison with just signing Bosh outright and letting Lee walk. It mainly helps Bosh get a bit more money. Though I could see this being expanded with Curry's expiring contract, where we also take on an overpaid but still quality player (in the Toronto example, Hedo is a good candidate). This expanded s&t scenario is one of the few useful scenarios I can see remaining with Lee.

2. S&t to a team under the cap, as a way for us to recoup picks or get prospects. The problem is that a team under the cap can sign Lee outright, so there is little incentive for them to send anything back.

3. Our own backup option if no one else comes. Hopefully it won't come to that! And if it does, it is not obvious we should make a long term commitment to Lee, rather than gunning for 2011 FA.
jhb713
Ballboy

Summer 2010 Team Breakdown 

Post#40 » by jhb713 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:01 am

The Knicks Roster
2010/2011
Curry $11,276,863
Gallinari $3,304,560
Chandler $2,130,481
Douglas $1,071,000
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Filler $500,000.00
Max $15,900,000@53M $16,200,000.00@54M $16,500,000@55M $16,800,000@56M
Cap Space After 1 Max:
@53M: $15,817,096.00
@54M: $16,517,096.00
@55M: $17,217,096.00
@56M: $17,917,096.00

For things to work out perfectly the cap would need to be at least $53,207,260

If the cap is at that magic number then the Knicks, after signing 2 max free agents (Lebron & Bosh?), would trade Eddy Curry's expiring contract and 3M($8,276,863) for longer term contract(s) between $8,941,490.40 and $14,196,078.75. If the cap is below that number the Knicks would have to trade Eddy and 3M for the difference needed to sign 2 max free agents
Yes, I know this does not include Sergio Rodriguez and his $2,805,888.00 QO but it will probably have to be renounced for the max free agents along with all the other free agents. A sign and trade with Lee will be hard because we will need to most likely take back salary, although I would not against a TPE and non-guaranteed contracts

Possible Curry trades if the cap is above $53,207,260(not saying they should or would be done)
Knicks-
Eddy Curry + 3M
Golden state-
Andris Biedrins 9M through2013/2014
Kelena Azubuike
or
Emeka Okafor
or.......
Just giving possibilities please don't kill me on them
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,576

Re: Summer 2010 Team Breakdown 

Post#41 » by Red Vines » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 am

Biedrins! That's a good idea. I've been trying to think who we could trade Curry for that would fill a need. They dump alot of salary and we get a defensive presence in the middle. Perfect.
hoopdata
Freshman

Post#42 » by hoopdata » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 am

Buying out Curry can create the cap space required to sign two maxes because you'd be buying him out for less than his guaranteed salary. He would do this under the assumption that he'd get a minimum contract and more minutes elsewhere.

The other option is trading Curry for someone with a longer, less favorable contract, but one that is making slightly less in the 2010-2011 season. One example of this would be Corey Maggette, who makes about 1.7million less than Curry next season but has a contract extending two seasons beyond that. This would be a move that would put us in range to sign two maxes. Another example would be James Posey + filler. Matt Caroll/Eduardo Najera + filler. Jason Maxiell + filler. Diop + filler. Walton + filler. There are a few teams that could be interested in shedding future salary for taking on an extra million or two next season. Problem is I doubt many teams will want to do us the favor of putting us in line to sign two max players, so a buyout is the most likely option.

Besides a buyout or a trade for a slightly smaller but less favorable contract, the Knicks won't have any options to get themselves in range of signing two maxes, unless the cap is massively above projections or if they trade Wilson Chandler for a future pick or something.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Knicks Salary Cap after the trades and the team's future 

Post#43 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:33 am

Let's talk about the salary cap implications of the trades we made before the deadline (and Mobley's cap relief) and our future (summer 2010 and 2011). I won't talk about the trades, if they're good or bad (it has been debated at length already by everyone). I will focus on our salary cap situation, how we can move forward and the best next step to take.

Here are the trades (players only, cash and picks don't impact the salary cap) :

Trade 1 : Darko Milicic for Brian Cardinal
Trade 2 : Larry Hughes, Jared Jeffries and Jordan Hill for Tracy McGrady and Sergio Rodriguez
Trade 3 : Nate Robinson and Marcus Landry for Eddie House, J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker (at least that's how the trade is reported for now)

If you add all three trades, you have :
- IN : $35,651,770
- OUT : 34,602,736
TOTAL : $1,049,034 added to the Knicks payroll this season.

The Knicks also waived Cuttino Mobley and the NBA granted the team cap relief. Cutino Mobley's entire salary ($9,500,000) is removed from the Knick's team salaries (luxury tax relief for the Knicks).

If you add the trades and Cutino Mobley then the Knicks saved $8,450,966 this week. Jimmy Dolan must be happy ! LOL

Thanks to Cutino Mobley's medical retirement, the Knicks will only pay $5.4 million for the luxury tax at the end of the season.

Let's talk about the implications for next summer and free agency.

If the salary cap for the season 2010-2011 is set at $55.4 million or below then the maximum starting salary for Lebron's contract will be $16,568,909 (105% of his previous salary instead of 30% of the salary cap). Same for Bosh and Wade. Two max contracts = $33,137,818. Now let's see if we're in position to sign two max contracts after the trades.

If the salary cap is set at $54.6 million or more then the Knicks will have room for two max free agents. $54.6 million is the magic number for the Knicks. If we're unlucky and the salary cap is set at a lower number then we will need to either dump one of Douglas/Chandler/Gallinari (depending on the number) or trade Eddy Curry for a smaller contract. Eddy Curry will be paid $11,276,863 next season, we could trade him for a similar expiring contract but for a player paid less money. Under the 125% + $100,00 rule, the minimum salaries we'd have to take back in the trade is $8,357,647, we could save approx $2.9 million so the goal would be to trade Curry + $3 million cash for a player who's paid $8.4 million next season. Obviously, after we gave up Hill and a protected first round pick (+ option to swap) to clear Jeffries salary, other teams will ask for more than $3 million cash, they will ask for additional compensations (either a young player or pick(s) - probably a first round pick or a couple of second round picks). We have our own second round pick and Denver's second round pick next june. In theory, after the draft, if these players are good (if like the Spurs last year with Blair, we can get a player projected higher but who fell in the second round) we could trade the rights of those picks with Curry (if needed). Another possibility would be to buy out Eddy Curry's contract but I doubt Eddy's ready to leave money on the table. Especially if he doesn't play at all. Of course, we better hope that the salary cap for 2010-2011 will be set at least at $54.6 million because teams will probably ask for the moon if we need more cap room.

D'Antoni will have to play Eddy Curry to showcase him. If Eddy's in shape, he can stay healthy and prove he can play then maybe we can trade him with $3 million cash for an $8 mil player. If he doesn't play at all for the rest of the season then it will be pretty hard to trade him.

As you can see below, there are two scenarios : the first one with two max players (we renounce Lee, Sergio and all our free agents and sign two max players) and the fall back plan meaning one max player + keeping Lee and Sergio (the number is their free agent amount or their cap hold if you prefer, how much they count against the cap until they're signed or renounced). In that second scenario, I guess we could also resign T-Mac so it could be either one max + Lee + T-Mac or just one max playe + Lee. Of course there can be a dozen other scenarios but I can't list them all.

Below the total row, you have the room under the cap (with Lee and Sergio and their cap holds on the right and without them on the left) depending the salary cap projection.

BEST CASE SCENARIO :

Let's look at the best case scenario : two max players agree to sign with the Knicks. Also T-Mac and Sergio Rodriguez would agree to sign for the minimum. Why ? For Sergio, he would have the chance to be our starting PG or a backup PG with nice minutes and under d'Antoni for a full season, he can hope to cash in after the 2010-2011 season. For T-Mac it would be almost the same reason :
- when a player signs for the minimum, his cap hold is only the part of the minimum salary not reimbursed by the league (meaning the min salary of a two year veteran) so Sergio and T-Mac would both have a ridiculously low cap hold in 2011
- we have Bird rights of both Sergio and T-Mac and if we renounce them next july then we can't resign them using any exception other than the minimum BUT
- if Sergio and T-Mac sign for the minimum then we will have again their Bird rights in july 2011 (you lose Bird RIghts only if you leave via free agency or you're playing under a one year contract and you accepted to be traded), it means we could sign Sergio and T-Mac to contracts up to the maximum salary in 2011 (obviously we won't max them out, I'm just saying we have the flexibility to give them the contract we want in 2011 if they resign for the minimum in 2010).

Under that dream scenario, if we sign Lebron and Bosh (or Lebron and Wade) then Donnie Walsh will need to make a decision on Curry. Either he will use his contract as trade bait to get a better player (with a long contract, maybe Okafor) but then Knicks would have no flexibility to sign free agents (except MLE) in 2011. If Walsh decides to let Curry's contract expire then we wouldn't have enough room under the cap to sign a free agent (it would be the same as the MLE) but if we trade Chandler, Gallo and Douglas (for draft picks for example) we could have almost $16 million in cap room. Obviously I doubt we will do that. It's just an exemple to indicate how much room we could have in that case.

If we sign Lebron and Bosh then either Chandler or Gallinari will be traded. If either one is traded (for a future pick) and we let Curry's contract expires then we would have around $10 million in cap space in 2011 (+ the possibility to resign T-Mac and Sergio after we sign a free agent).
If we let Curry's contract expire, we could also package our cap room + Gallinari and Douglas for Chris Paul. Just an exemple.

If we sign Lebron and Bosh I doubt we will let Curry's contract expire (he will be used as trade bait for immediate help) but Donnie Walsh will have several options for the future.

Donnie Walsh went all in with the trades he made today. If he signs Lebron and Bosh next summer then he will have several possibilities and scenarios to build a perennial championship contender. There's no doubt about that.

FALL BACK PLAN :

If Lebron and Wade stay with their respective team then I guess Donnie Walsh will go after Joe Johnson (Chris Bosh may stay in Toronto or Donnie rather have David Lee at a reasonable salary than Bosh at the max).

If we sign Joe Johnson and the salary cap is set at $52 million then Joe's max salary will be 105% of his previous salary : $15,725,592. If its more than $52 million then it will be 30% of the salary cap and his salary will be higher but not by a wide margin. For example, if the salary cap is set at $56 million it will be $16,800,000 (only $1 million more for his starting salary). Of course Johnson at the max is overpaying but after today's trade where we gave up the control of our first round picks in 2011 and 2012, Donnie Walsh went all in and he has to sign players next summer (evenif it means overpaying). That's the clear downside of his strategy. There's no turning back. If Lebron, Wade and Bosh don't sign then he needs at least to sign Joe Johnson and retain Lee.

If we sign Joe Johnson then I guess we won't keep Tracy McGrady. D'Antoni will probably play Chandler at SF, Gallo at PF and Lee at C. Not a receipe for success but a short term solution until Donnie sorts that out via trade.
The key in that scenario would be to try to resign Lee at a reasonable price ($9 million). If his contract starts at $9 million then it translates to a six year contract worth $68.2 million ($11.4 million per season) and other teams would have to give Lee a contract starting at $12 million to match that number. In that scenario, the sixth year could give us an advantage if Lee really wants to stay in NY. In that scenario we would not resign T-Mac.

Depending on the off-season 2011 scenario (four different scenarios below), we could have enough room to sign one other max player or maybe two $10 million player or we could use that cap space to trade for a very good player on a longer contract.

In the scenarios 3 and 4, Chandler or Gallo would be traded during the season 2010-2011 for draft picks or youth (promising players on the first year of their rookie contract). Same as the Bulls did with Tyrus Thomas but of course hoping either the first round pick would be higher or the players attached to the pick would be better and more useful to us. Getting a defensive center to protect the paint would really help us.

As conclusion, I'd say that if Donnie Walsh can sign at least one of Lebron, Wade or Johnson (if we can only attract one FA then Joe is more attractive than Bosh for us because we already have Lee) then his plan could work. If not then the situation will be very difficult for us as either the other free agents play the same (natural) position as Lee (Amare and Boozer) or they won't improve us that much (at least not enough to become a championship contender or a real perennial playoff team).
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Re: Knicks Salary Cap after the trades and the team's future 

Post#44 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:34 am

Uhhh.....
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#45 » by Smoke24 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:37 am

I could have used you to do my school work for me. I would have gotten A's every time.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,172

Post#46 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:39 am

Kosmo, if you weren't a dude and I wasn't married I'd ask you to come over and fix my sink. :eyebrows:
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,973

Post#47 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 am

Nice work, I'm stealing this for the thread up above.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,649

Post#48 » by duetta » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:44 am

Well said.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#49 » by knicks742 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:48 am

THanks man. In other words, he gave himself some flexibility to build the team he wants. This trade was about him getting complete control of building this team.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,359

Post#50 » by blueNorange » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:49 am

mind blowing
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks