Stephen Curry
33%

Total votes: 46

Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: Tyreke Evans vs Stephen Curry ROY 

Post#16 » by Kabookalu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 am

I think Stephen Curry has a strong case for being the best player in his draft class down the road, but imo Evans has locked up the ROY despite Curry's strong showing. Like someone said he came out of the gates strong and continues to play strong to this day.
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#17 » by SadKingsFan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Tyreke is far ahead, but Curry has been playing better than Evans as of late. + Curry has definitely played better when they go head to head.

I was just thinking about how funny it is that an unhealthy Warriors team is just as good as a healthy Sacramento... especially when you consider all the trash they talked.

LOL @ Evans and Curry going head to head as if they have been guarding each other. Anyway, Evans is the clear cut better player at both ends of the court...and this is without an ounce of a jompshot.

The warriors being better than the Kings or the other way around is nothing to jump up and down about. See you in the lottery...as usual.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#18 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 pm

I agree with the majority of the posts made so far, but don't be surprised if somehow Curry manages to take it. He's a guy who's getting a lot of positive press and has become a media darling. The league (Stern) is also really in love with him and if you don't that makes a difference with regards to who gets the awards you're being quite naive. I agree that Evans should get it, but I believe if there's any way they can justify giving it to Curry they will find a way to do it although maybe (as some of you have said) it's too late.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#19 » by Kabookalu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm

turk3d wrote:The league (Stern) is also really in love with him and if you don't that makes a difference with regards to who gets the awards you're being quite naive.

No one is naive here, everyone is being realistic when they say Evans is going to win it.
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#20 » by call.me.dude » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Choker wrote:I think Stephen Curry has a strong case for being the best player in his draft class down the road, but imo Evans has locked up the ROY despite Curry's strong showing. Like someone said he came out of the gates strong and continues to play strong to this day.

Agree with everything, especially the bold part. If you told me before the season that I would agree with that statement shortly after the All-Star break, I probably would have laughed at you. I thought he was going to be a Jason Terry type of player once all was said and done, but he showed a lot more than that. I also would have never thought that Evans was going to be that good, especially in his first season.

As far as ROY, for me it was

1. Griffin
2. Flynn
3. Evans
4. Jennings
5. Curry/Harden

Right now it's

1a. Evans
1b. Curry (if he keeps this up they should have a tie)
2. Jennings
3. Flynn
4a/b. Collison/Lawson
5a/b. Casspi/Gibson

I think Curry will be the best player of those guys, a 19/4/8.5 PG on a playoff team (those numbers might dip slightly if he goes to another team of course, maybe to 19/3.5/7, but he could also have better numbers should Golden State not become a much better team) with great efficiency (48 % FG, 40+ % 3PT FG, 90 % FT, A/TO ratio over 2.5). A better Mike Bibby, worse passing Steve Nash or a Chauncey Billups. That sounds right, a Chauncey/Nash hybrid: Clutchness (not to the extent of Billups/Nash, but still pretty clutch), close to Nash's shooting efficiency, a defensive game somewhat in between of the two (=solid), great ability to take over games, as a facilitator closer to Chauncey than to Nash, etc. Overall I think he could be as good as Chauncey.

I see Evans' ceiling as a 23/5/5 player on a playoff team, which at first probably sounds better to many than 19/4/8.5. This would make him the 4th best SG right behind Wade, Kobe and Roy in a few years.
Curry as I said before could be a Chauncey Billups type of PG IMO, so there could be an argument made that he will be more valuable to a team. I just think he is more of a winner, less ball-dominant, can create better for others (and he will get even better at that) and is a better leader than Evans (who also has proven to be a good leader himself). But that's just my personal opinion.
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Post#21 » by bastillon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 pm

this thread proves the crush people have on scorers. Evans is far ahead of Curry as a basketball player. not even remotely close.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
Norbit
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Norbit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm

I think our rookie Evans has this locked up due to consistency but that isn't taking anything away from curry. Curry is a beast, this draft has been nothing short of amazing in my eyes. It's funny how everyone thought it was supposed to be Griffin/Rubio or bust.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#23 » by Storm Surge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Evans easily
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#24 » by turk3d » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 pm

call.me.dude wrote:
Choker wrote:I think Stephen Curry has a strong case for being the best player in his draft class down the road, but imo Evans has locked up the ROY despite Curry's strong showing. Like someone said he came out of the gates strong and continues to play strong to this day.

Agree with everything, especially the bold part. If you told me before the season that I would agree with that statement shortly after the All-Star break, I probably would have laughed at you. I thought he was going to be a Jason Terry type of player once all was said and done, but he showed a lot more than that. I also would have never thought that Evans was going to be that good, especially in his first season.

As far as ROY, for me it was

1. Griffin
2. Flynn
3. Evans
4. Jennings
5. Curry/Harden

Right now it's

1a. Evans
1b. Curry (if he keeps this up they should have a tie)
2. Jennings
3. Flynn
4a/b. Collison/Lawson
5a/b. Casspi/Gibson

I think Curry will be the best player of those guys, a 19/4/8.5 PG on a playoff team (those numbers might dip slightly if he goes to another team of course, maybe to 19/3.5/7, but he could also have better numbers should Golden State not become a much better team) with great efficiency (48 % FG, 40+ % 3PT FG, 90 % FT, A/TO ratio over 2.5). A better Mike Bibby, worse passing Steve Nash or a Chauncey Billups. That sounds right, a Chauncey/Nash hybrid: Clutchness (not to the extent of Billups/Nash, but still pretty clutch), close to Nash's shooting efficiency, a defensive game somewhat in between of the two (=solid), great ability to take over games, as a facilitator closer to Chauncey than to Nash, etc. Overall I think he could be as good as Chauncey.

I see Evans' ceiling as a 23/5/5 player on a playoff team, which at first probably sounds better to many than 19/4/8.5. This would make him the 4th best SG right behind Wade, Kobe and Roy in a few years.
Curry as I said before could be a Chauncey Billups type of PG IMO, so there could be an argument made that he will be more valuable to a team. I just think he is more of a winner, less ball-dominant, can create better for others (and he will get even better at that) and is a better leader than Evans (who also has proven to be a good leader himself). But that's just my personal opinion.

Pretty good assessment, except Curry will be nowhere near the defender that Billups is but probably better than Nash as you pointed out. Evans by far has him beat on the defensive end but should be guarding 2 guards and not points who he might have a little trouble with. Overall good analysis.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,554

Post#25 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm

I think Curry is the better player but Evans will get and deserve ROY for doing this all year
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#26 » by Nolan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Curry and Collison have been doing very welll lately. But Evans has been solid all season long and I think he's basically got ROY locked up.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Norbit
Sophomore

Post#27 » by Norbit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't see how ppl are saying they think curry is or will end up being the better player. I don't think that statement is true at all, I think they are very different players that will be great in very different ways. I think together they would be an awesome backcourt and would compliment each other very well.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,869

Post#28 » by 510TWSS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:35 pm

I still think Evans wins, just because he's been so good since the start. Curry has come on like a gangbuster the last two months. If he can keep this up until the end, I think it might be a 60-40 decision. But I think Evans, barring any injuries would win.

Why no love for Blair? I think he could arguably end up 3rd over Jennings, Flynn, Collison and Lawson.
Norbit
Sophomore

Post#29 » by Norbit » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:41 pm

Haha I also like the norcal rivalry, i'm excited to see who the warriors and kings draft this year. First we had the ellis/martin debate, then randolph/thompson and now curr/evans. Whats next favors/cousins, wall/turner or maybe a turner/johnson? Either way both teams have bright futures, should be fun to watch as they develop.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#30 » by bringinhinkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

evans is lightyears ahead of every other rookie.. its not even close regardless of what stats guys are putting up

hes a future top 10 at worst player in the league
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#31 » by a-rod » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:I think Curry is the better player but Evans will get and deserve ROY for doing this all year

Um, care to elaborate?
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#32 » by J~Rush » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am

a-rod wrote:
Dr Mufasa wrote:I think Curry is the better player but Evans will get and deserve ROY for doing this all year

Um, care to elaborate?

It's basic integral calculus.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=5x^2%3D+50x

Curry is the blue line, Evans is the Purple one.
e
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#33 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 am

J~Rush wrote:
a-rod wrote:

Um, care to elaborate?

So Curry gets credit for not doing as well as Evans' early in the season?

That logic=fail.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#34 » by J~Rush » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 am

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:
J~Rush wrote:
a-rod wrote:
Um, care to elaborate?

So Curry gets credit for not doing as well as Evans' early in the season?

That logic=fail.

You forgot to integrate.
e
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,183

Post#35 » by Edrees » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:23 am

Evans, but I think Curry can make it close if he gets the warriors to win some more games. both are playing excellent basketball and I actually think Curry will be better than Monta in a year or two.

Return to Player Comparisons