ImageImageImage

My take and ALL things Posey Here....

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Re: My take and ALL things Posey Here.... 

Post#106 » by Kefa461 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:59 am

Posey is saying the right things......

Posey goes public: Celtics are top choice

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... op_choice/

Lets hope a deal gets done....... 8-)
We need to patch a few more holes..... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#107 » by PPAW4Life » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:32 pm

GuyClinch wrote:^^^ You dont REWARD players. You pay them what the market will bear for their services. Not only that you try not to pay more then you would to an equivalent player.

Listen I liked Posey all season long. I told everyone he was more valuable to use them Gomes. But now after a hot playoff suddenly the guy is a super stud. He is not. He is a nice roleplayer. Your going to lose LITTLE if ANY going with Childress or Barnes. With the money you might save you could bolster the team in some other way..

So Danny needs to exercise judgement and not overpay for the guy.. We don't need to reward him. He already gets paid millions in the NBA to play a kids game. If we were rewarding him he would get negative dollars like all the other professional athletes should.

Pete

So you don't think the C's should pay Posey for sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team ultimately helping them win Banner #17 because he isn't putting up numbers? That makes no sense. He is paid to help us win when it matters and his production shouldn't be a measurement of what he is paid....if that was the case almost every player in the NBA is grossly overpaid.

I like Childress a lot but he isn't going to hit clutch shots and he isn't going to take charges like Posey will. Barnes is a solid role player but he will never be the defender or shooter Posey is and has been injury prone in his career. Both are down grades from Posey and I'd rather have Posey at the Full MLE for 4 years than either one of those and some backup PG.

I have faith in Rondo playing major minutes and if it comes down to it Pierce or Allen can play some PG.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#108 » by Dirty Water » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Kefa461 wrote:Posey is saying the right things......

Posey goes public: Celtics are top choice

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... op_choice/

Lets hope a deal gets done....... 8-)
We need to patch a few more holes..... 8-)

This is good.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#109 » by Collinto » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 pm

PPAW4Life wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:^^^ You dont REWARD players. You pay them what the market will bear for their services. Not only that you try not to pay more then you would to an equivalent player.

Listen I liked Posey all season long. I told everyone he was more valuable to use them Gomes. But now after a hot playoff suddenly the guy is a super stud. He is not. He is a nice roleplayer. Your going to lose LITTLE if ANY going with Childress or Barnes. With the money you might save you could bolster the team in some other way..

So Danny needs to exercise judgement and not overpay for the guy.. We don't need to reward him. He already gets paid millions in the NBA to play a kids game. If we were rewarding him he would get negative dollars like all the other professional athletes should.

Pete

So you don't think the C's should pay Posey for sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team ultimately helping them win Banner #17 because he isn't putting up numbers? That makes no sense. He is paid to help us win when it matters and his production shouldn't be a measurement of what he is paid....if that was the case almost every player in the NBA is grossly overpaid.

I like Childress a lot but he isn't going to hit clutch shots and he isn't going to take charges like Posey will. Barnes is a solid role player but he will never be the defender or shooter Posey is and has been injury prone in his career. Both are down grades from Posey and I'd rather have Posey at the Full MLE for 4 years than either one of those and some backup PG.

I have faith in Rondo playing major minutes and if it comes down to it Pierce or Allen can play some PG.

I think you are missing his point. He is using REWARD as in, what he did in the past. He is using REWARD as in, since you sacrificed last year and we won, we will pay you over market value as a thank you. Ainge has obviously pegged his market value, or he would have signed somewhere else already. Posey and Barlestien are waiting to see if someone goes higher, imho.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#110 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

So you don't think the C's should pay Posey for sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team ultimately helping them win Banner #17 because he isn't putting up numbers?

James Posey has avg 7 points and 4 rebounds a game for the last 4 seasons whehter he was on a champion or an also ran, he didn't sacrifice anything for anyone. That is the player he is. Do you really think that Posey took Ainge's offer of 3.2 mil last year instead of a 5 year 30 mil deal somewhere else? Because he didn't.

Posey should try and get as much as he can and Ainge should pay him as little as he can and that is all that it comes down to.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#111 » by Athanacropolis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:29 pm

sully00 wrote:
So you don't think the C's should pay Posey for sacrificing personal stats for the good of the team ultimately helping them win Banner #17 because he isn't putting up numbers?

James Posey has avg 7 points and 4 rebounds a game for the last 4 seasons whehter he was on a champion or an also ran, he didn't sacrifice anything for anyone. That is the player he is. Do you really think that Posey took Ainge's offer of 3.2 mil last year instead of a 5 year 30 mil deal somewhere else? Because he didn't.

Posey should try and get as much as he can and Ainge should pay him as little as he can and that is all that it comes down to.

Wow. Perfectly said!
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,676

Post#112 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:28 pm

sully00 wrote:

Eff that. If Theo Epstein can pay give Jason Varitek $10 million a year for 4 years for his so-called "intangibles," giving Posey the full MLE is okay in my book.

I'll say it right now, we would NOT have won championship #17 this year without Posey's contributions. If we win another one next year due to Posey, he'll make up the value of the entire contract in one year.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,802

Post#113 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:
sully00 wrote:

Eff that. If Theo Epstein can pay give Jason Varitek $10 million a year for 4 years for his so-called "intangibles," giving Posey the full MLE is okay in my book.

I'll say it right now, we would NOT have won championship #17 this year without Posey's contributions. If we win another one next year due to Posey, he'll make up the value of the entire contract in one year.

Theo doesn't have to deal with a salary cap. If there wasn't a salary cap in basketball we wouldn't be having this discussion because we would all be saying "pay him what he wants". The salary cap complicates things so comparing MLB vs. NBA free agent contracts doesn't really work.

EDIT: Just so you understand Varitek's contract, catcher is one of the most important positions in baseball. Just look at the 03' Marlins, Pudge Rodriguez is a huge reason why they won it all. On top of that, Varitek is the captain of the team so any player that has a "C" on his chest is automatically going to be one of the highest paid players on the team. The guy can't hit worth a **** anymore, but a catcher's defense and intangibles are always more important than their bat so he is still earning most of his money IMO. Catchers who can mash while also being the "quarterback on the field" are a rarity and that's why they often end up in the HOF.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:
sully00 wrote:

I don't give a rats ass about Theo Epstein it has nothing to do with the Boston Celtics. Where were Posey's intangibles in Miami two years ago when they got bounced in the first round? It is a good reason to sign a guy but sure as hell isn't something you pay for.
MoBSTa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#115 » by MoBSTa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:39 pm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9473

Look's like Nelly's best young versitile SF, is looking for a new home.
I would have much rather had Buike then have POB.

I sure hope Danny get's to talk with Buike's agent to keep him in mind, just in case Posey don't resign. Maybe you don't pay for intangibles, But a team must pay for versitility, even with Posey being versitile, there are others still on the market.

I love Posey and want him back, but if he is lost I still believe that Buike could fill Posey's every role and maybe for a lot less money.
Is Posey worth the Full MLE? IMHO he is being selfish, when he and his agent knows they could also sell his Name in Boston. However it may be a hard sell in any other city.

Get it done, either sign the dotted line or let's go after Buike.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 pm

The position is not a huge need for this team we don't desperately need a SF. Posey himself was a piece to the puzzle and that has to play out but there isn't a great need to find a SF.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#117 » by Barry Lird » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:26 pm

sully00 wrote:...Where were Posey's intangibles in Miami two years ago when they got bounced in the first round? It is a good reason to sign a guy but sure as hell isn't something you pay for.

Shaq declined significantly from the championship year to the following, and Wade was injured for a large part of that year, and came back prematurely with his bad shoulder, but was ineffective. In other words, Wade was not really Wade.

Posey played like Posey always plays. That was a very fragile championship team. Aside from Posey, that team was comprised of just a rapidly declining Shaq, and a transcendent but hobbled by injury Wade, and a bunch of otherwise nondescript NBA fodder. Probably the most fragile of NBA championship teams that I can ever remember.

Posey's intangibles were not going to make up for Shaq's decline and Wade's injury.

Garnett, Pierce, and Allen surely have a higher regard for what Posey brings to the table than you do. I too, think his intangibles contribute more to winning basketball than his stats would suggest and I hope Danny brings him back.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#118 » by armageddon » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:20 pm

If Posey wasn't here last season someone else would have been. Maybe that other person brings the team more, less, or the same, we will never know. We do however know that we did and can win with Posey contributing so that is a positive known quality going forward.
Can we get an equal but different contribution from someone else next season with 5.8 million dollars. I say yes, but you'd be taking an amount of risk that it wouldn't work. Do you continue to drive your old paid for car that requires a little occasional maintenance or buy that shiny new car.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#119 » by rambo_ortega » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:21 am

i like posey but for a fair amount for both the celtics and him.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#120 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:14 am

Garnett, Pierce, and Allen surely have a higher regard for what Posey brings to the table than you do. I too, think his intangibles contribute more to winning basketball than his stats would suggest and I hope Danny brings him back.

Pierce wanted Blount to sign with us as well. <g> Listen we all like what Posey brings to the table. He is clutch. He can hit open 3s. He has "balls." He isn't afraid to take a charge. And so on.

All i saying is that Posey isn't this magical player that you can't win a championship without. Other teams have won championships without James Posey. (Yes it's true look it up) Honestly I thought of the C's championship as kind of a lesson for all those Toronto fans. Those OMG you need a great BENCH people.

But suddenly it seems low and behold no it was the Celtics super talented 'bench' that won the championship in the eyes of some fans here. Well I am not buying it. I liked Posey more then Gomes. I favoured House over West. Most of the fans here were decrying the huge drop off with those moves at the beginning of the year.

I believe we could win with some other combination of players as well. It's the stars that made the team special. The bench just had to match up with that of other teams..

If we get Posey back - hurrah - because we know we didn't lose that much assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).. but if we bring in Matt Barnes and Tyrone Lue and Dan Gazurdic with the same money I won't be crying. Maybe we could win with that squad too.

Pete
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#121 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:40 am

GuyClinch wrote:

Pierce wanted Blount to sign with us as well. <g> Listen we all like what Posey brings to the table. He is clutch. He can hit open 3s. He has "balls." He isn't afraid to take a charge. And so on.

Very few people thought it was a bad idea to resign Blount at the time. He had just come off a fine year. It was regarded as a coup at the time to get him back. Easy to pick apart the signing in hind sight.

All i saying is that Posey isn't this magical player that you can't win a championship without. Other teams have won championships without James Posey. (Yes it's true look it up) Honestly I thought of the C's championship as kind of a lesson for all those Toronto fans. Those OMG you need a great BENCH people.

There's as false characterization being presented here. Nobody's saying Posey's the end all, be all, or that he personally delivered the championship on a platter to us. I can't speak for anyone else, but from what I've seen, seeing as we've got only the MLE with which to fill that reserve 2/3/sometimes 4 role, I think he's the best option still on the market. You feel Matt Barnes or Gadzuric are as good or better options, so be it.

If we get Posey back - hurrah - because we know we didn't lose that much assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).
How is it a leap? Does he have a history of dogging it. I admit to not having watched the Heat much after they won the championship, so strictly going on stats, I don't notice a drop off, so why would you think it's a leap that he'll be motivated?
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#122 » by GuyClinch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:02 am

How is it a leap? Does he have a history of dogging it. I admit to not having watched the Heat much after they won the championship, so strictly going on stats, I don't notice a drop off, so why would you think it's a leap that he'll be motivated?

Because I think he saw the playoffs as a way to set himself up for the rest of his life.. If he gets that it's only natural that ones motivation might slip. <g> Both Posey and House are looking for deals like that. I don't blame them. But that doesn't mean the C's have to pay for their good efforts (as was suggested by some)..

Posey was a great roleplayer for the C's. We can always be thankful he stepped up just like Jermaine Wiggins did...or Deion Branch or David Givens. I am sure you would have wanted to sign those guys at any price.

Pete
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#123 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 am

james posey played a much bigger role than david givens...NFL & NBA are way different in this regard. there are hundreds of WR's that could fill branch/givens' roles...but how many james poseys are there out there? how many "do whatever it takes to win, hustle, gritty defense, clutch 3's & FTs, yessir, WINNER" role players are there like big game james? not as many as alot think. who else in the NBA greets & hugs the starters like pose does? ask the miami heat players....that meant alot to them, then they lost it & they realized they missed it. i know of no other player that is james posey-like in everything he brings to the table.

i agree, dont sign him for too much. give him what he deserves, & a lil extra for him coming here for cheap LAST year & show that he means alot. dont let him walk.

i'm sayin it right now....if posey isnt on this team next year, it'll be 10X harder to win the title next year. not sayin it WONT happen, but i AM saying posey is a HUGE piece to our great team.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#124 » by Barry Lird » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 am

GuyClinch wrote:

Because I think he saw the playoffs as a way to set himself up for the rest of his life.. If he gets that it's only natural that ones motivation might slip. <g> Both Posey and House are looking for deals like that. I don't blame them. But that doesn't mean the C's have to pay for their good efforts (as was suggested by some)..

So, Posey's motivation for playing well in the playoffs was for his next contract, and not for the opportunity to win a championship? Why would you malign the guy like that? Do you similarly malign House's motivations?

assuming he is motivated (and sadly that's a bit of a leap).

He doesn't have a history of dogging it, even after winning a championship, but this translates to you as sufficient reason to question his motivation to play hard. Again, based on what?

Posey was a great roleplayer for the C's. We can always be thankful he stepped up just like Jermaine Wiggins did...or Deion Branch or David Givens. I am sure you would have wanted to sign those guys at any price.

Nobody is suggesting signing Posey at any price. When you don't have legitimate points to make, this strategy of making things up and then attributing them to whoever you're struggling with is definitely not winning you any debate points.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#125 » by bruno sundov » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:20 pm

Posey and House wont be signed for money that will hurt the team. They aren't going to get deal longer than 3 years and wont get big money. So if DA felt the need to ship them he could more easily.

Return to Boston Celtics