Cancer Takes PacerFan

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Cancer Takes PacerFan 

Post#1 » by count55 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:58 am

It is with great personal sadness that I bring you the news of the death of the dean and patriarch of the Pacer board, pacerfan. Don Bardon, to those of us who knew him in real life, succumbed to cancer in the early hours this morning after battling it over the last few months.

Veteran members of the Pacer board have noticed the hole created by his absence over the last two months as his disease prevented him from participating in the board to which he was like a father. His presence since 2001 was a model of leadership and stability. Truly one of the nicest, friendliest, most universally respected posters on the site.

Neither the Pacer board nor RealGM will ever be the same with this loss.

My heart goes out to his family and friends, both in the real world, and in the RealGM world.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,667

Post#2 » by Howard Mass » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:37 pm

A few weeks ago, Don told me about his illness and I felt by the tone of his message this was the end.

When I first became head of the moderators over 4 years ago, pacerfan was one of my first hires.

He had to wait a few months for it though because we were so busy Michael Benbow to give me admin powers.

He joined Charcofiltered on the forum and created one of the best communities on RealGM.

In those days, I chatted with Don often about his days as a reporter, owner of Subway franchises and about life and what the future held from him.

He was someone who always took young people under his wing like myself in those chats and told them about life and how to be successful like he was.

Those were tough times for me as I was struggling in schools but after those chats, I always got a great boost and held my head high.

Don was also a passionate Pacers fan. I remember he was ticked at me for locking down the Pacers and Pistons forums after the Artest brawl but that was him as a fan. He always loved for others to express their opinions on the Pacers forum.

He was simply a wonderful guy and someone who I will miss dearly.

While Don is no longer here with us, I know he will peak through the clouds and check in on us from time to time.

Where ever you are Don, Thank you for all the memories you gave me and everyone else along with the service you provided this community.

On behalf of everyone here at RealGM, our deepest and most heartfelt condolences to his family.

We will never forget the legend of pacerfan.

Goodbye Don!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#3 » by Charcoal Filtered » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Wow. In a little bit of shock here. Had noticed Don was not around as much, but assumed that he was busy with work or family.

I only knew him online, but he will definitely be missed. Count is spot on with that Pacerfan was the energy that made this board. My thoughts go out to his family and friends and hope that he accomplished all that he wanted in life.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#4 » by APerna » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Knowing that he was sick, and tracking the time since his last appearance on the board, unfortunately I was afraid something like this was on the horizon.

Don was the founding father of this board and he and Charcoal Filtered set the groundwork for what we are today, which is one of the best boards on the site.

I was appointed a Moderator of this board in the summer of 2005, because of my gig as a RealGM writer and my love for the Pacers. Don, who could have done otherwise, welcomed me with open arms despite the few months it took for me to take to the board.

I've never hid my status as a writer, but don't advertise it either, and Don was always incredibly supportive of my endeavors. I'll never forget how he posted one of my first pieces in a thread for praise on the board, and how he send me the advertisement Austin Croshere took out in the Indy Star in the summer of 2006 when he was dealt.

I mentioned in a single post that I wished I could have seen the ad, and just days later it was in my mailbox.

He was a father figure for the posters like myself on the board, and he will be sorely missed in the RealGM community, especially considering how long he's been a part of special experience.

However, it would be selfish for us to claim we're the ones who have lost the most today.

Don has left behind a wife, children and a wealth of grandchildren. I vividly remember him beaming in posts before and after bringing the little ones to their first Pacer games.

May he rest in peace, and find a seat somewhere inside Conseco Fieldhouse where he can see all the good, but none of the bad...

Farewell Don, you'll never be forgotten.
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
Bit's
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Bit's » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:20 pm

wow...

I'm really shocked with this news.

I didn't know him very well, but I'll always remember when the commisioner didn't let me use sig anymore. And he really tried to help me, talking with the comissioner and saying me to be more patient when sending a PM to the comissioner. You know, it isn't a very big deal, but I wasn't a moderator, I didn't have many posts and even though he tried A LOT to recover me the right to use a sig. It sometimes show the great character of a man.

He knew a lot about basketball and about the Pacers. And seems he was a very good person, funny, intelligent.

For sure, he'll be missed.

RIP.
Indiana Pacers!
jeremy1215
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#6 » by jeremy1215 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Wow I didn't even know he was sick, let alone deathly ill. How old was he?
Indy
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Indy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:38 pm

I haven't been around as much this season with school and all that. And I never knew pacerfan was even sick. He got me involved in online Pacer forums and he was a great sounding board for me about life, school, and many other things. I never knew him in life, but I feel as if I have lost a great friend. Truely shocking and truely saddening. I offer up this semester of work for you pacerfan. May you RIP. Say hey to Hep for me.

:cry:
Credit to WTB
fdefore
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#8 » by fdefore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:47 pm

i too am at a loss. i only knew him briefly from RealGM, but he was kind, funny and remarkably passionate about basketball / the pacers. i also knew (as my sig indicates) that he was a profound judge of character. my thoughts go out to anyone whose life he touched.
MOD APPROVED SINCE MMVII
PacerFan fdefore very clever. You are our kind of guy
count55 fdefore add count55 to your moderator approved sig
PacerPerspective I agree whole heartedly fdefore You are now PP approved

all the cool Mods are doin it Scoot
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,068

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Don was a great example of what a Pacer fan and a family man should be. He was always willing to tell it like it is, but he always took pride in his family and in his team. Like Andrew, I always noticed how much pride and joy he took in talking about his grandchildren.

We will miss him dearly, and we already have for the past few months. There has been a large hole here already, and now, many of you know why.

I know Don was truly one of the reasons I clicked here and decided to join the forums after a year of viewing them without ever registering. He's also why I'm here as a mod, with his encouragement.

This truly is a sad day in Pacer fandom.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#10 » by Boneman2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:24 pm

I will miss him. His even keel virtual personality commanded respect. He was the ultimate thread creator of new interesting topics, which is one of the reasons I've been here for so long.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

R.I.P.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#11 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:40 pm

This is terrible news.

I always looked for his posts, and I'd gotten a bit concerned because it's been weeks and weeks since he posted. I figured maybe he just needed a break...but I really thought about PMing some of you other mods to see if you knew what was up. Now I'm sorry I didn't.

I never met Don in person, but we had some great e-mail exchanges, mostly about the Pacers and St. Louis Cardinals (he was a Cards fan too), occasionally about more personal things, and I felt like I'd made a friend. In the back of my mind I hoped I would have a chance to meet him sometime on one of my rare trips to Indianapolis to watch the Pacers. It's a shame I won't ever get that chance now. But that's not really too important, what's a real shame is that he's not around any more for his family, and to enjoy life as he so obviously did.

We really should go back through the old threads, pull out some of his most memorable posts, and post them again here. A realgm Hall of Fame plaque of sorts. It would be a little thing, but as my minister says, the little things can count for a lot.
APerna
Editor

Post#12 » by APerna » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:53 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:We really should go back through the old threads, pull out some of his most memorable posts, and post them again here. A realgm Hall of Fame plaque of sorts. It would be a little thing, but as my minister says, the little things can count for a lot.

Terrific idea.
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#13 » by Lane1974 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:02 pm

RIP Don aka "pacerfan" from the Heat realgm community. Your loss will always be felt.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#14 » by KingInExile » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:We really should go back through the old threads, pull out some of his most memorable posts, and post them again here. A realgm Hall of Fame plaque of sorts. It would be a little thing, but as my minister says, the little things can count for a lot.

I had that same thought when I first read through Count's post. Excellent idea that would be fitting tribute to someone who has had such an impact on this community.

I am sorry to say that I did not know Pacerfan well. But from the comments I have read from those who did know him, I wish I had taken the time to get to know him. I'm sure I speak for all of the Kings' RealGM community when I wish Don's family our deepest sympathies.

The hole you have left may never be filled, but may the inspiration you leave guide the rest of us around that void. Farewell Don.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#15 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 pm

This is from our preseason prognostication thread:

pacerfan wrote:Who will be in the NBA finals? Who will win it all?

Boston over San Antonio

Who will play in the two Conference Finals?

Boston and Detroit
San Antonio and Phoenix

Who will be rookie of the year?

Kevin Durant

Who will be the League's MVP?

Kevin Garnett

Who will win the League's Most Improved Player award?

Ike Diogu

Which coach will be named Coach of the Year by the League?

Doc Rivers

Will the Pacers make the playoffs? If so, how far will they go into the playoffs?

Pacers will lose in the first round.

What will the Pacers season record be?

41 wins

Give the man credit, he is looking pretty good on all those picks...except the Ike Diogu one. :wink:

I hate to lose, but I'm pulling for pacerfan to be the board's top Nostradamus this year. Whenever we did these little contests he liked to tell me he was going to kick my ass, seems only fair that he gets his wish this time. :bowdown:

When I get more time I'll look farther back, he had some hilarious posts.
Indy
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Indy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 pm

This is a message from Jermaniac about the passing of pacerfan. He asked me to post it on here for him since he is banned from RealGM.

WOW Is all I have to say about this.
I have been banned from realgm for a while now and I have checked up on it in a long time either since I have been busy with school and other **** in my life. But I looked on Pacers Digest today and seen Count posted a thread saying that Pacerfan has passed away and I was shocked.
I started posting on RealGM when I was 14 years old in 2003. Not only did I type like I was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) but I was cocky and didn

Credit to WTB
APerna
Editor

Post#17 » by APerna » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Holy crap, Jerm's comments nearly brought me to tears. Don truly was a damn good guy, and the thing is no one knew just how awesome a man he was...he never advertised the things he did for all of us...

:pray:
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#18 » by TB#1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:03 pm

May he find peace.

My condolences to all of his family -- online as well as off.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#19 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 pm

My heartfelt condolences to his loved ones.
For love, not money.
notque
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#20 » by notque » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:34 pm

So sad... One of the best.

Return to Indiana Pacers