ImageImageImageImage

Ledger: Lewis Has Lifted Magic From Mediocrity

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1 » by drsd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:33 pm

Here's a little checklist to assist in determining whether the Magic should have signed Lewis. And just to make it easier, I'll even provide the answers.

Did Dwight Howard play for the Magic last season?
Yes.
Did Hedo Turkoglu play for the Magic?
Yes.
Are they playing better than they did last season?
Yes.
What was the Magic's record last season?
40-42.
Did Rashard Lewis join the Magic this season?
Yes.
What is their record now?
28-18.
When was the last time the Magic won a playoff series?
What are their chances of winning one this year?
Pretty good.

End of discussion.

Personally, I think Lewis has had a more positive effect on Turkoglu than on Howard. And that's surprising.
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#2 » by Typhoon20 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Stan V Gundy has lifted Magic from mediocrity, not Lewis.

Lewis contributed, like D12, Hedo etc.
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by whocares » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:59 pm

1. stupid, flawed, primitive logic with unsound consequence.
2. that is what rashard seems to have brought, it seems.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
The Letter J
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by The Letter J » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Dwight's improvement, the addition of Stan, and Hedo's more consistent play have to be taken into consideration as well. There's no question that we are better than we would be without Lewis, but Lewis doesn't deserve as much credit as that article implies.

We overpaid Lewis. Lewis makes us better, but not as much as other players who are paid that much could. Unfortunately for the writer, his article isn't the 'end of discussion'.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#5 » by MagicalMan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:54 pm

conveniently he leaves out that we got rid of a lazy big, moved an injury prone black hole sf playing out of position at the 2g, and signed someone who actually knows how to coach.

But forget all of the other circumstances surrounding the teams improvement. Only focus on the one that supports your argument. Brilliant logic.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#6 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Ra$hard i$ overpaid.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by MagicFan149 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:16 pm

MagicalMan wrote:conveniently he leaves out that we got rid of a lazy big, moved an injury prone black hole sf playing out of position at the 2g, and signed someone who actually knows how to coach.

But forget all of the other circumstances surrounding the teams improvement. Only focus on the one that supports your argument. Brilliant logic.

+1
dieselpower
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by dieselpower » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 pm

HOGWASH. The addition of SVG, subtraction of Hill. The vast improvement of Dwight and Hedo. I don't really give any credit to Rashard. He's a weak defender w/ suspect handles. Nice guy, nice shooter. He definately adds to the Magic, but at that cost, no way.
Go Magic!
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#9 » by laVal03 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:36 pm

mhectorgato wrote:Ra$hard i$ overpaid.

you had too, huh?? :nonono:
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#10 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:45 pm

mhectorgato wrote:Ra$hard i$ overpaid.

Did you forget unprofe$$ional?
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#11 » by j-ragg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:55 pm

We didn't have Marcin Gortat on the roster last year either.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
maginno
Banned User

Post#12 » by maginno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:56 pm

Does anyone think its even possible that getting rid of Brian Hill and getting SVG wouldn't have improved ANY team?

Hasn't Dwight himself said he is enjoys the new system more? Hasn't Jameer and Turk said the same?

end of story.

SVG for president. Mind you Rashard will always be overpaid but I've been liking his game a lot more recently.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#13 » by N4U|Redux » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

All the main arguments of why we're better (Dwights improvement, Hedo's consistency, the coaching upgrade, Reshard's signing) are speculative at best.

Sitting here bashing the article writer for saying we're better because of Reshard and then going on and saying "its obviously because of SVG" surely makes you look like a dunce -- you're doing the same thing except swap Reshard for SVG.

Personally, I think adding SVG and Reshard have been the foremost reasons for our improvement. Hedo's consistency is probably related to the fact that both Howard improved and Reshard is there thus he receives much less pressure than he'd otherwise have received.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

Post#14 » by SS_MagicMark » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Once we got rid of that clown Diener, everything took off.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#15 » by magicman123 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm

there is no question,that we are better with rashard lewis then last year....can it be a combination of svg, dwight improving, and turk being consistant, no doubt...lewis makes us better you cant argue that...you cant strictly point it to one thing because we did have several changes this season...new coach, darko and grant gone, lewis signed, mvp diener left, and the ariza trade..but with lewis we are better..
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#16 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:06 am

Man....you guys just hatin' on Lewis because he got paid.

That's no way to act. He helps the team. He is a distraction that makes it easier for other guys to score -- oh, and by the way, he scores pretty well himself.

All those other things you cite are reasons, too, but there's no way around it, Rashard is a key factor. Not to mention the fact that -- as Van Gundy himself points out -- he is sacrificing his own game for the sake of the team because he is playing out of position and in doing so gives up many of the advantages he has when he plays his regular position. The coach you all love and respect so much said that on Tuesday night on his radio show.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#17 » by drsd » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

If Lewis had not been signed, player Hill and Milicic probably would have. With those two at the SF and PF slots, Turkoglu would be buried on the bench.

Without Lewis, Turkoglu would not be getting playing time.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#18 » by NEM » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm

lewis and van gundy
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#19 » by DiplomaticMagic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:Stan V Gundy has lifted Magic from mediocrity, not Lewis.

Lewis contributed, like D12, Hedo etc.

damit u took my idea of a sig..i had it it in my mind for awhile and when i saw that game winner i thought that was the perfect thing to do it on..i was gonna have hedo at 1st tho with him dribbiling..he does with him shooting and that funky dance for he did :lol:
Trade for Trae
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#20 » by Idunkonyou2 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:59 pm

SVG new system and Lewis are the difference. Now we just need to get a legit starting PF and PG. Once that happens, the Magic will truly become contenders.

Return to Orlando Magic