Boston vs. Atlanta - Series tied (2-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who will win this 1st round series?

Boston in 4
48%
Boston in 5
16%
Boston in 6
7%
Boston in 7
1%
Atlanta in 4
4%
Atlanta in 5
1%
Atlanta in 6
3%
Atlanta in 7
4%
Atlanta in 8
18%

Total votes: 299

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#261 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Joyeuse wrote:Hey, Curmudgeon. Welcome back. Want to give us an overview of why we should bench Pierce in the next playoff game? :wink:

Lol, i dont think any Celtics fan can have anything bad to say about Pierce after the way he played this season.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#262 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:48 pm

Big_Matt34 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Lol, i dont think any Celtics fan can have anything bad to say about Pierce after the way he played this season.

Nope, and the fact that Pierce has improved so dramatically this year, particularly at the defensive end, absolutely justifies my criticism of his play in prior years.

Until this year, he was playing like crap compared to what he was capable of, and he deserved every bit of the criticism I gave him. This year he's turned himself into a basketball player instead of just a chucker, and it's a pleasure to watch.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Joyeuse
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#263 » by Joyeuse » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:11 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Nope, and the fact that Pierce has improved so dramatically this year, particularly at the defensive end, absolutely justifies my criticism of his play in prior years.

Until this year, he was playing like crap compared to what he was capable of, and he deserved every bit of the criticism I gave him. This year he's turned himself into a basketball player instead of just a chucker, and it's a pleasure to watch.

I'm going to disagree. Pierce's role on offense have changed based on the teammates he's surrounded with, and thus the changes in his play don't represent a change in abilities or willingness to sacrifice on his part so much as a decreased need for Pierce to take on the primary scoring load. On defense, you have more of a point; he's clearly picked up his defense from the past couple of years. But as far as I could tell, he was never a bad defender, just putting less effort in. I imagine this was partly because he didn't see a point to playing great defense on a bad team (I know, really horrible of him, but it's hard to blame him) so didn't bother actually putting as much into it on every possession, but also partly because he had to expend a lot of energy on offense prior to the less active role he's playing on offense on this year's Celtics. Clearly Pierce was not put in a position to succeed for the five or so seasons prior to this one.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#264 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:04 am

No one denies that Pierce always had the ability but he wasted it.

The fact that he was on bad teams is no excuse for lackadasical, selfish play. Good team or bad team, good players play the right way.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
francishsu
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#265 » by francishsu » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:14 am

So what kind of adjustments will the Hawks make? Or will they play the same and hope that more of their shots will fall this time around?
Celtic Thug RIP @ Healthpoint
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#266 » by High 5 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 am

Hawks need to play smarter for sure. Can't be as lazy on the boards. They had a lot of open J's that just didn't fall. They just need to be more focused, I don't think they need to really change up their gameplan. They didn't play terrible defense, Rondo most likely won't play as well. I also wouldn't count on Josh Smith being a near no show two nights in a row. Game 2 should be a lot more competitive.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#267 » by NDaATL » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 am

francishsu wrote:So what kind of adjustments will the Hawks make? Or will they play the same and hope that more of their shots will fall this time around?

Our head coach is Mike Woodson, "adjustment" isn't a word that he's familiar with.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#268 » by Kobay » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 am

I think the best option is for ATL scrubs to break pierce, allen and kG's legs intentionally.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#269 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:03 pm

1. Atlanta has to get out and run.
2. Put Bibby on the bench. He can't control Rondo. Unfortunately, the Hawks don't have too many viable alternatives, but I'd try Stoudamire.
3. Joe Johnson has to stop trying to dribble into the teeth of the Celtics' defense.
4. Hit the offensive glass.

The Hawks could win a game or two in this series if they can do the things I've listed above, although I doubt that they will. The Celtics are too focused.

NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#270 » by NDaATL » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:1. Atlanta has to get out and run.
2. Put Bibby on the bench. He can't control Rondo. Unfortunately, the Hawks don't have too many viable alternatives, but I'd try Stoudamire.
3. Joe Johnson has to stop trying to dribble into the teeth of the Celtics' defense.
4. Hit the offensive glass.

The Hawks could win a game or two in this series if they can do the things I've listed above, although I doubt that they will. The Celtics are too focused.

1. That's a must.

2. Don't think Bibby belongs on the bench, yet. Salim is NOT a better PG at all, and he can't set up teammates at all. I absolutely HATE the idea of Childress at PG, it takes away from all his advantages of floating around the baseline getting rebounds/putbacks/open looks. Not to mention he's 6'8 and can't guard quick PGs.

I'd much rather Law get the nod. Law at least plays very good defense and is so quick that he gets to the basket at will. Much better at setting up teammates than Salim, although he doesn't have the 3pt shot.

3. You're right, JJ is getting doubled and tripled as soon as he gets the ball, he needs to keep it moving if he wants those isolations.

4. That won't be a problem, Horford had 7 OR's in Game 1 and Childress had a couple. That's one of our strengths so I'm not too worried about that.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#271 » by Truthiracy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:21 am

Curmudgeon wrote:No one denies that Pierce always had the ability but he wasted it.

The fact that he was on bad teams is no excuse for lackadasical, selfish play. Good team or bad team, good players play the right way.

Will Curmudgeon ever make another appearance on the Boston Celtics forum?
3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Post#272 » by 3pt % » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:13 am

dont know, Darth has effectively left so the door is open.

BTW, who ARE you?
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#273 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 pm

LucerneStDoggz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Will Curmudgeon ever make another appearance on the Boston Celtics forum?

Not very likely. Not much point to it.

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#274 » by greenbeans » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:17 pm

im gon put this here too, just cuz damnit

this is awesome, it really is. it would have just been a boring old sweep, but apparently Bibby feels the need to put his life in danger.

At another stage Bibby said,
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#275 » by JoshB914 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:25 pm

What Bibby said was dumb. Of course the C's have bandwagon fans just like any fan base, but everyone knows what great sports fans there are in Boston.

If the crowd is louder because of it, it won't effect him. He has been here before. However, it could have an adverse effect on our young guys, who have never been a part of anything like this before.

GO HAWKS!
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#276 » by dsorc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:10 am

I like the way Garnett called the team out to the court when he received the DPOY award before the game. Good sign of the team first mentality.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#277 » by dockingsched » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:15 am

hope pierce can come back out soon.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#278 » by amb1ent » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 am

it's cute how boston is trying to boo bibby.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#279 » by dockingsched » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:19 am

bibby looks like he needs an oxygen tank.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#280 » by greenbeans » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:20 am

amb1ent wrote:it's cute how boston is trying to boo bibby.
not their fault nobody knows who that scrub is. and trust me, there is a LOT of hateful, personal things goin his way from the diehards.

Return to The General Board