ImageImageImage

Simmons is at it again

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Arroyo30
Junior
And1: 0

Post#61 » by Arroyo30 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:47 pm

kgcelts5 wrote:and the crowds at the garden are louder and more into the game because we are better fans, not cuz we aren't confident.

showing up midway through the second quarter does not suggest that you are "confident fans" it suggests that you are bandwagon fans that don't give a crap about the game

There are a lot of bandwagon celtics fans, many of the posters in this page weren't celtics fans before you got garnett and i'm sure about that.
The Lakeshow baby!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#62 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:48 pm

Arroyo30 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There are a lot of bandwagon celtics fans, many of the posters in this page weren't celtics fans before you got garnett and i'm sure about that.
you got some info since your oh so sure of it?? is it the join date??
GonzoLays
Assistant Coach
And1: 185
Location: The strongest man is he who stands alone in the face of oppression and censorship.

Post#63 » by GonzoLays » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:04 am

Arroyo30 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And we remember when you use to post on the Miami Heat board as a bandwagon fan of their championship run.

Busted!!!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#64 » by greenbeans » Tue Jun 3, 2008 12:05 am

GonzoLays wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And we remember when you use to post on the Miami Heat board as a bandwagon fan of their championship run.

Busted!!!

OHHHHHHHHH snap. . he got got
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#65 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:46 am

That's what confuses me so much about BS. What on EARTH is there to not like about this team? Is there a more affable, approachable, and likable superstar than Kevin Garnett? He might be the most universally loved star in the NBA, and if he's not, it's Ray Allen. And then guys like Perkins, Posey, and Powe, hard-working, overachieving types that sacrifice any potential personal glory to win? As well as a veteran like PJ Brown searching for his first title (not to mention the Big 3 doing the same)?

What he doesn't like about it - is that he didn't see it coming together. He thought Doc was bad, Danny was bad, and that they should listen to HIS insight. Yes - it's laughable but that's how sportswriters are.

Like I said IF the C's lose I expect absolute GLEE from the guy. I lot of "I told you so" articles about Doc's bad coaching, KG's lack of clutch play, PP's not a true superstar and so on. That's why it would be a just a bit extra sweet if it shuts this guy up.

Over on C's blog there was talk about how Doc went out of his way to throw in some digs at "bloggers" but I suspect the guy that he actually read was Simmons, as I can't imagine Doc reads blogs.

Pete
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#66 » by tlee324 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:59 am

I don't think Webster's dictionary is necessary to know if a guy is a fan of a team or not. I don't think "sports fan" means you have to be non-objective at all times.

It comes down to who he wants to win. Who do you guys think Bill Simmons wants to win?
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#67 » by Prophet_C » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:02 am

DorfonCeltics wrote:Him and Tony Maz should go blow each other in a back alley somewhere. Screw these junk columnists.

Shaugnessy for three way?
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#68 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:42 am

It comes down to who he wants to win. Who do you guys think Bill Simmons wants to win?

The Lakers - so he can say see I told you so. What you think he was excited after KG stuff his your not clutch article in his face?! You really think he was excited about Doc OUT COACHING Flip Saunders in game six? How come we didn't see that article?

But that being said I reject your definition of "fandom" by your definition if I place a wager on the blue jays i am a Blue Jays fan. After all I want them to win.

That's just a weak *ss version of fandom. Even "bandwagon" fans have a little more zeal then that. I live in NYC and you couldn't FIND a Giants FAN who didn't believe they were going to win.

There is a reason why real fans don't bet against their own team. Everyone knows this - watch any "expert" picks show and these guys always pick their "team" if its a close one..

Pete
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#69 » by ShowtimeFan » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:46 am

well as a Laker fan, I wish he would stop, the Celt's don't need to get extra-motavated.

In fact I am setting my expectations rather low, if the Lakers can win three games I will be happy..

It would not surprise me for Boston to win the first game and then alternate wins through game 7...
tanat-0s
Banned User

Post#70 » by tanat-0s » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:54 am

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20902

SG is backpedalling some. Going to read that preview column.
From Ray-Ray to KG to 2P
We're in The Finals, bay-bee!
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,366

Post#71 » by tlee324 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:49 am

Peter, you used the REASON you want someone to win a game as your premise with your Blue Jays reference. You want to win money, you could care less about the team in your example. That has nothing to do with the conversation, really.

I say Simmons wants the Celtics to win because he's a fan of the team. He WANTS to be wrong here, but doesn't think he will be. That's basically it.
Markos
Starter

Post#72 » by Markos » Tue Jun 3, 2008 8:40 am

If the Sportsguy actually bet the money on sports that he so often boasts he does, he would be living in the sportsguy cardboard box not the 'mansion'
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#73 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:17 pm

GuyClinch wrote:
Didn't he say at the end of the article that while he feels LA is the better team, he isn't going to like the result of the Finals? Couldn't it be possible that he simply has an opinion, even if he doesn't LIKE his opinion? I just can't say he's not a fan for giving his honest opinion on the matter.

A fan is short for the word "fanatic" not "someone who claims to root for his home town team all the while dishing up articles about while they will lose." It's a "reverse jinx" now it's an "honest opinion"

Bill Simmons "may" have a soft spot for the Celtics but if he does I sure haven't seen it of late. Let's put it this way if it wasn't for the claims that Bill Simmons was a Celtic fan almost EVERY person reading his column would think he is a Laker fan. <g>

Truth is Simmons spent years bashing Doc and has expanded to guys like Pierce and KG of late. His ego outweighed his fandom months ago. He can't stand to be wrong like all the rest of the columnists.

I shudder at the amount of glee that will come shining through his columns if the C's lose. I hope that KG sticks it to him..What a poseur.

Opinions are FINE. Your allowed to make honest opinions and pick against the C's just don't claim to be representative of OTHER Celtic fans or the biggest Celtic fan around.

Simmons flat out doesn't like this team, IMHO. I know he was a fan of those Bird teams and probably doesn't want to see their legacy 'threatened" by this latest group.

Pete

Spot on, Pete. I've never seen a lifelong "fan" enjoy the ride LESS than BS. (How fitting his initials are *BS*). And you know if we win he'll write an "I knew it along, I never lost the faith" article. The guy is a frontrunner, plain and simple. To see him write he is "wounded" people think he likes the Lakers is hilarious. His explanation of a "reverse jinx" is a bunch of BS (those two letters again!)...something he made up now to save face (and his arse). It's the same lame way Democrats will say something anti-American (do they ever say anything else?) and then claim it was "taken out of context" even when the entire paragraph is quoted. Well, BS, YOUR LAST THREE **** ENTIRE COLUMNS are not "out of context". And didn't he write something to the effect that he didn't believe in the jinxes. but now all of a sudden he claims he does?

The smog and sun have gotten to his brain...BS is dead as a Boston fan, I don't care. I barely read him anymore before this...now I *know* I won't anymore. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#74 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 3, 2008 1:21 pm

BadMuthaCeltic wrote:I don't think Webster's dictionary is necessary to know if a guy is a fan of a team or not. I don't think "sports fan" means you have to be non-objective at all times.

The Lakers. At this point he wants to have Kobe's baby, while he can't say a nice thing yet about Doc or KG. I find it funny he was saying his last few C-bashing columns were "reverse jinx columns" when he'd been saying BEFORE KG WAS EVEN A CELTIC that KG wasn't clutch...then he pulls that **** out in the Cleveland series and we're all supposed to *know* it's just reverse-jinx?

This guy pulls so many excuses out of his ass to make it seem like *WE* can't read between the lines...when you'd have to be a **** mind-reader or conspiracy-theory nut to "understand" what BS is getting at, according to him. "Sports Guy's World" indeed....in his own head!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#75 » by Athanacropolis » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:15 pm

So...I take it everyone is looking forward to his Finals preview column?
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#76 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:27 pm

Athanacropolis wrote:So...I take it everyone is looking forward to his Finals preview column?

At this point, sure, just to see what kind of crap he'll write. I'm sure there'll be some digs at Boston fans, too...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#77 » by JordansBulls » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:54 pm

If a guy who wasn't even an allstar took home the finals mvp over the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe then imagine what a team like Boston could do to them?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
diforman
Sixth Man
And1: 15

Post#78 » by diforman » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:19 pm

All the simmons bashing comes off as sour grapes...

He is clearly a die hard boston fan, and he writes a national sports collumn. There is nothing wrong with thinking your team is outmatched and still rooting for the celtics.

I love bill simmons' work, and I get angry when he slacks off and doesnt write for a week.

To say that Bill Simmons is not a die hard Boston fan has got to be the craziest opinion Ive read on this board.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#79 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 3, 2008 4:54 pm

diforman wrote:All the simmons bashing comes off as sour grapes...

He is clearly a die hard boston fan, and he writes a national sports collumn. There is nothing wrong with thinking your team is outmatched and still rooting for the celtics.

I love bill simmons' work, and I get angry when he slacks off and doesnt write for a week.

To say that Bill Simmons is not a die hard Boston fan has got to be the craziest opinion Ive read on this board.

The thing is he is *not* rooting for the C's...he's predicting doom and gloom. To hear him talk, this is like 1981 when the 60-win C's faced the 40-42 Rockets. Not a **** WIN TEAM against a team that won 50+...TWO great teams, not one.

Simmons sucks.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#80 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jun 3, 2008 5:46 pm

Now in Simmons Finals Preview (OK, so I read it...it's like a car wreck, you can't look away) now he's all anti-Lakers and pro-Celtics.

It'd be slightly believable if it weren't so laughable in the wake of his previous dreck.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics